The Escapist Show: Episode 16: Silent Hill Homecoming

Episode 16: Silent Hill Homecoming

This week, our exclusive post-mortem interview with the the creators at Double Helix behind Silent Hill HomeComing.

This week's musical guest:
Ian Dorsch - "The Escapist Show Theme"

Watch Video

Dare I say "Helloooo Nurse"? ;)

The_root_of_all_evil:
Dare I say "Helloooo Nurse"? ;)

RATS! beaten to it.

I have to say the costume works in so far as the fact that this image is going to scar my mind and inhabit my nightmares for many years to come...

I can't help but notice that they said they went out of their way to make sure that fans of Silent Hill would be disappointed.

zettlich:
I can't help but notice that they said they went out of their way to make sure that fans of Silent Hill would be disappointed.

Hahahaha Yeah I liked that. They totally understand that they fucked up. Really team silent needs to be back on board. There is just no other way.

I really laughed my arse off when Russ came in and said: "I hate you both"

ph3onix:
I really laughed my arse off when Russ came in and said: "I hate you both"

Who are u? and yes the same happen to me XD

Also... what did u do later? because susan had a knife in his hand! and Good job! jeff!!

Haha, Russ was working that outfit eh :P
Did anyone else think he looked like the Joker in The Dark Knight?

Well I'm yet to play Silent Hill homecoming, I admit that they've made it look very pretty, BUT as a Silent Hill fan, I can't help but feel that I'm going to be dissapointed. I mean for one They've made the mistake of keeping the same monsters in it, ie Pyramid Head. These monsters where supposed to represent PERSONAL issues with the characters and where supposed to be physical manifestations of those. I do like the way the combat looks though, and I do think that the originals having bad combat was good, simply because it added to the fact that your a normal person who is just trying to survive (ergo scare factor), but it did feel quite clunky at times, and having a dodge would be nice.

So I don't know wether this has made me want to get it or not, I just really hope that team silent releases another one at some point, even though I doubt it, because I think that the plot has been finished at Silent Hill 3. And a Silent Hill game without a plot, is well, turd.

Obligatory links to Silent Hill Homecoming reviews around the Escapist:

And yes, that opening sequence in the video is going to give me nightmares for a while. Mission accomplished.

Russ, I have a pair of Chucks just like yours!

Chucks forever!

Miral:
Obligatory links to Silent Hill Homecoming reviews around the Escapist:

And yes, that opening sequence in the video is going to give me nightmares for a while. Mission accomplished.

Ooh cheers, I didn't know that Yahtzee did a Silent Hill review. I'll have to check it out.

Poor Russ, always being humiliated for the good of the Escapist.

Your day will come my friend, I'm pulling for you!

Also Silent Hill has always been one of my favourite series, even though 3 confused me, 4 irritated me, and homecoming didn't feel quite the same for obvious reasons :(

was that the ZP imp in the background?

So when will the Imp plush be for sale? My WCC plush could use a friend.

So Double Helix not only ruin a great series, they also blame it on the fans.

Nice move!

Am I the only one who is slightly perplexed by this? Generally doesn't The Escapist Show centre on more topical games? Why suddenly a game from last year?

And I think it might be a slight exaggeration calling it "one of this generations scariest games" if it has a dodge mechanic. Just saying, Bioshock is still there.

IS THAT THE IMP PLUSHY?!!! squeee

We are not making another silent hill game, we are joust calling it silent hill!
these guys are morons!
and btw loved the intro=)

Russ looks disturbingly good in a nurse uniform... I only wish you'd given him some kind of wig.
Mmmmmhm... Nice legs.

Well I'm still not buying it. (Silent hill 2 is way scaryer)

That's what happens when Russ doesn't want to do the opening line ^_^

Then again... he did get shot in the head multiple times in the last vid...

Raptoricus:
Well I'm yet to play Silent Hill homecoming, I admit that they've made it look very pretty, BUT as a Silent Hill fan, I can't help but feel that I'm going to be dissapointed. I mean for one They've made the mistake of keeping the same monsters in it, ie Pyramid Head. These monsters where supposed to represent PERSONAL issues with the characters and where supposed to be physical manifestations of those. I do like the way the combat looks though, and I do think that the originals having bad combat was good, simply because it added to the fact that your a normal person who is just trying to survive (ergo scare factor), but it did feel quite clunky at times, and having a dodge would be nice.

So I don't know wether this has made me want to get it or not, I just really hope that team silent releases another one at some point, even though I doubt it, because I think that the plot has been finished at Silent Hill 3. And a Silent Hill game without a plot, is well, turd.

Haha after seeing that video it was my thoughts exactly.
I'm playing threw them all again, in leading up to the new one so i am fresh with the storyline, but i'm not sure i want to play it. Why is pyramyd head back :S
I feel, like the movie, i'm to be dissapointed =[

While, to a certain extent, the *Escapist* feature was of merit, the interviews with the developers convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I absolutely, positively do NOT want to buy this game. Seriously, those guys were like the epitome of 'clueless'.

Memo to Konami: If you want a third party to develop your intellectual property, try to find someone who is PASSIONATE about it! These bonehead devs with thier myopic: "well, we put in a dodge move, and people initially said 'Woah, Silent Hill doesn't have dodge moves!', but.... " are not going to produce anything that will either excite your current fan-base or ignite potential future fans of your franchise.

You would've been better off hiring fanboys off the street to come up with a more coherent story that could be integrated into the SH lore, and then saddling them with a team of developers who would tell them "you can't do that with the current engine" and a team of project managers who would tell them "you can't take that liberty with the intellectual property."

It might have been a fist full of fail, but it would've at least been more EARNEST than the claptrap you fielded with this bunch of losers at the helm. Seriously, I think I've shit better game ideas than what they published.

solidstatemind:
While, to a certain extent, the *Escapist* feature was of merit, the interviews with the developers convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I absolutely, positively do NOT want to buy this game. Seriously, those guys were like the epitome of 'clueless'...

I think the point was that they wanted to make the series/game more "mainstream".

Well... mission accomplished!
-_-

Check out that ZP imp at the beginning!

I want one!!!

NAO!!!!11

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: