Need for Speed Review - Not Firing On All Cylinders

Need for Speed Review - Not Firing On All Cylinders

The customization and nighttime urban setting from NFS: Underground with the open-world elements of NFS: Most Wanted. It sounds good in theory, but it falls far short in its execution.

Read Full Article

It's starting to seem like "unfinished" games are coming out more and more commonly these days.
MGSV:TPP
Star Wars Battlefront
and now this...

The "rubberbanding" is why I hate racing games. Not meaning to reiterate, but what is the point of getting so far ahead that the computer just cheats? What's worse, in some racing games, the AI gives you a nudge and sends you off the track. If you try the same thing on them, nothing happens.

Ian Miles Cheong:
Recommendation: If you're looking to pick up a good arcade racing game, Need for Speed might be worth looking at in a few months time when it's cheaper and more fully-featured.

Or when it finally comes out on PC. IN FOUR FUCKING MONTHS.

I've been a Need For Speed loyalist ever since Underground, and I've bought every single one since however terrible they've been, but even through the bilge of Undercover and Shift I've rarely felt as insulted as this stunt. XBones and PS4s are basically PCs now. There's no excuses any more.

Kinitawowi:

I've been a Need For Speed loyalist ever since Underground, and I've bought every single one since however terrible they've been, but even through the bilge of Undercover and Shift I've rarely felt as insulted as this stunt. XBones and PS4s are basically PCs now. There's no excuses any more.

Shift was pretty damn good though. It by far has my favorite blend of simulation and arcade handling of any racing game to date.
What about it didn't you like exactly?

You mean: "Buy it when it comes cheap but is riddled with horribly overpriced DLC's"?
No thank you, i got burned on Most Wanted badly. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Now, if you excuse me, I have Underground 2 I have to finish again.

Why does the banner for this review have an image from GRID? Let's not associate that masterpiece with this garbage.

Also, the review should mention how atrocious the handling model is in this game. The cornering always feel a bit delayed, no matter how much you tweak the controls. You need to constantly fight with the controls cause the cars have way too much inertia and almost feel glued down to the track in certain moments.

And honestly, if a racing game's handling is bad, nothing else matters. It's automatically a failure.

AnthrSolidSnake:
Shift was pretty damn good though. It by far has my favorite blend of simulation and arcade handling of any racing game to date.
What about it didn't you like exactly?

That.

I'm playing a Need For Speed game, I know that it's not supposed to be a simulation. If I wanted a simulation I'd go play Gran Turismo or Forza or something. I want to have a blast with some arcade-style racing. Shift was the moment NFS decided to abandon that philosophy and become something it completely wasn't, and it was a half-arsed mix that got the best of neither world, signalling the direction the franchise would take for the next five years.

I'm kind of relieved to hear it isn't that good. Need For Speed has been something of a guilty pleasure for me over the years, but I can now happily ignore this one.

In any case, the gritty night-only urban tuning thing isn't really what I look for in my arcade racing, no matter how many people seem to think that's somehow "the core" of the series. I guess that's a generational thing for people who were too young for the earlier games, but just the right age for Underground.

Personally, I found the 2010 Hot Pursuit a high point of the series. Sure it was a little Burnout, but it wasn't too Burnout. Unlike, say, Burnout.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)