Zero Punctuation: Skate 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I like that the imp is so much better at Skate than Yahtzee, hilarious.
The name of the song is "Green Grass and High Tides" not hills, and who can't beat that song on expert?
Then again I play bass . . .

nice job i laughed at this one nice job

Well this is a break from his usual style, both in the review and the choice of game (though I guess the choice wasn't his to make). It was good though. I enjoyed the anthropological standpoint. :p Also, did anyone notice how many people were suspended or put on probation earlier in this thread for seemingly normal posts?

Therumancer:
Well a few things

For starters I know Left Behind (never played it), I've played Uncharted (decent but unexceptional game, I don't get why Yahtzee calls it white supremist though, other than as a joke), but what is the third one that he said was about child molestation? Some Sailor Moon game? I occasionally miss out on his referances when he trots out a game as part of a joke I don't recognize.

I think, I do not know, that is a game for the DS in japan. The idea is to rub the stylis across some parts of characters bodies. I don't know the purpose, but just the reception it recieved when it came out. I could also be mixing it up with the bullet train groping game.

reply #7 is now reply #1. poster #8 profits =p

I enjoyed the review, though I felt perhaps that Yahtzee's own (alleged) failure to identify with skate culture got very slightly disproportionate amounts of attention?

duck_the_hitman:
wonderful!
no stupid ad
no annoying samey intro that we've seen/heard a million times

The cat came back, the very next day--.... ;)

Think the suspensions were mainly for posts like 'woo first' or 'hi' or 'I liked it'. Not really in the spirit of the Escapist, we prefer more than 2 words here, (tho I err in the other direction, rarely being able to make a simple point in under a page).

Was nice to see him take the angle of 'it's all very nice, but it's just not meant for me, I'm sure you'll like it if you're into that sort of thing, but its not for everyone'. Think it was a lil more informative than some can be.

Very funny review! Made me chuckle as I've also never understood skating games.

I must admit that I used to skate in real life but only did it a few times before giving up and trying rollerblading (back in the late '80's). Much easier way of getting about (although don't do either now...)

One thing I do remember about skating is trying the Marty McFly foot kick to pick up your skate board. I tried that once and the lovely sandpaper that was on the board sand-papered my hand - oh well...

Good review as always i laugh afew times. Keep of the good work and i can't skate worth a crap.

It seems to me that the skate series puts more emphasis on the whole bone breaking set up... even though it doesn't really hinder anything in the long run.

And BTW, what the **** is that game that pops up at every mention of pedos? Looks creepy even from afar...

Why is everyone saying there is no intro, I saw one.

Thanks for the review, due to your masterful examination of this game I have decided not to get it on the basis that I will not understand s***all that it asks me to do.

Hey, if you really want to be Green Grass And High Tides, tap through it with the Rock Band Guitar on the Zig-Zag's in the second solo (green, red, yellow, red, green, red, yellow, red, green, etc etc). Just hit Green Red Yellow, Green Red Yellow, screw that extra green =P Use you're overdrive if anything. Then during the break before the second set of zig-zags there will be a chance to get Overdrive, just tap 'em and use your whammy, if done right you'll get enough energy to be able to go into Overdrive. Then use it again during second set of zig-zags, and after that save up more energy 'cause you'll need it for the triplets... Good luck!

Woah, I finally beat Green Grass and High Tides for the first time a week ago. Talk about mindfuck. *Cough*ReviewMetalSlug7*Cough*

lol at the obligations bit

and it's always fun to break bones :P

My main gripe with skate boarding games is the how they handle how the board "sticks" to your feet. Inevitably, I find myself in an empty pool or half pipe and suddenly I'm air-borne without a board. The board, you see, clipped into and is lodged in the no-space beneath the ramp.

When I was younger, I loved games like this and my interest peaked with Jet Set Radio Future. Since then, I haven't really experienced that much joy playing skating games.

Are people getting some kind of award for most times suspended/banned/probation for being the first to comment on a video without actually watching it? I don't quite get why that seems to be a popular past time. Interesting video. The only real reason I play any skateboarding games is for the gruesome bone breaking face plants

Of ALL Yahtzee's reviews, this one quite possibly irritated me the most. Ben goes out of his way to insult everything about skateboarding, then openly admits he doesn't know anything about it while bashing this game.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF REVIEWING A SKATEBOARDING GAME THEN, YAHTZEE?!?

It would be like me reviewing a Rugby game. I don't know anything about the sport, how can I possibly have an accurate or educated opinion of the game.

You COMPLETELY missed everything unique about this game such as: Customizable environments, the ability to get off your board and run to an inaccessible spot, adding "cat and mouse" skate spots in which you have to run from security during an entire session, a significantly easier navigation tool, etc, etc, etc.

Ben, I know you exist solely to entertain 15 year olds that love anything to do with complaining on the internet, but PLEASE at least try to do something professional like RESEARCHING what you're talking about. Agree or not, you are a JOURNALIST. At least try to act like one. (Well try to act like a real one, not one of these tabloid-twats running around these days)

I tried the demo (even though I know very little about skating,) I can definitely see that skateboarding fans would love it although I also had trouble with the analogue stick controls, could never do the right trick! =(

Get better soon from yer man-'flu, Yahtzee-face.

Haha this was a good one, definitely one of my favourites.

Funny as always although I do have one complaint.

Why did you lump Christians in with white supremacists and child molesters? As an asian father it's rather insulting to have my religion placed in such company.

this was the first game in a while he absolutaly hated!!!

This video was great. Much better than LBP review (I had no feelings for the Thief video). I still think that the GoW 2 review was better than this one, but then again, I haven't played skate 2 (I have played several Tony Hawk games), so all I know is that the controls are extremely difficult. Which brings me to my favorite part, the controls rant. So true, so true.

Ryuzaki:
A great review, laughed at the over complex controls. I got the intro straight away, wish they would get rid of the pop up ad though and just put it at the end of the video. (Then I wouldn't have to watch it) Looking forward to next weeks video.

Same here. I missed the intro on my first viewing. I am also not happy about the new ad overlay. It's annoying, it has bad music, and it makes me want to stop watching videos. I ended up blocking the ads (by blocking the ad server). Now I see the videos without all those stupid popup ads.

pyromcr:
this was the first game in a while he absolutaly hated!!!

I felt like he liked this game somewhat. I think he hated the Sonic Unleashed game way more.

goin-mad:
I like that the imp is so much better at Skate than Yahtzee, hilarious.

I thought that was funny too.

damn
i didn't laugh once sorry
also you can change the camera angle in the menu and there is a section in the tricks menu which tells you terms of skating and finally why didn't he pick on the most obvious and worst problem with the game the god awful on-foot sections with the worst controlls evar.

stevetastic:
...why didn't he pick on the most obvious and worst problem with the game the god awful on-foot sections with the worst controlls evar.

In all fairness, probably because it is a skateboarding game, not a "walk around on foot" game. The walking gets a pass because it's meant to be a "walk up the stairs" mechanic. If you're running around everywhere, you're kinda missing the point of the game.

Great review! Rofl ^_^

Is anyone else seeing the posts put on probation are comments saying along the lines "Good work" ? o0

These ads get more invasive every week!

Damn. And hear I was hoping that horrific abomination of an intro was gone for good.

I made the mistake of trying to watch it in class.
I was still laughing when the teacher was lecturing me for goofing off during class.

Shit, I love the occasional Dune references.

Reviewing a sports game was an unexpected move. I can honestly say that I never expected this.

That Imp must really spend a lot of time on games like this to get that many points.

sooperspook:
Funny as always although I do have one complaint.

Why did you lump Christians in with white supremacists and child molesters? As an asian father it's rather insulting to have my religion placed in such company.

I don't think that was his intention at all. He was just pointing out the "themes" of 3 random games...

taiki:
Yahtzee is a little confused. Skate 2 is pretty US Centric and thus from a country with NO free health care.

...which I guess goes to show exactly how retarded American skaters are.

Its funny because arguably the BEST skaters are from America.

Green Grass and High Tides.

I can get five stars on it on Expert. :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here