The Escapist Presents: MovieBob: Oscar Show

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

MovieBob: Oscar Show

MovieBob is done, professionally, with The Oscars over their mistreatment The Dark Knight.

Watch Video

I don't like the oscars either but The Dark Knight isn't a worthy film for best picture.

The Wrestler being snub for best picture was far worse than The Dark Knight being snubbed.

The Dark Knight was a very good movie but it's not a masterpiece.

Though I would've nominated The Dark Knight over The Reader and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button anyday, but The Wrestler and Gran Torino are better films which should've have been nominated instead.

Extra-cool! Been waiting to hear from MovieBob! (been following the youtube videos :D)

I've not seen the Dark Knight yet (Yeah...) but it's the one film (apart from the Wrestler) that I'd go out of my way to see.

If that doesn't mean anything to the Oscars, then the Oscars don't mean anything to me.

Yay Moviebob on the escapist, want!

I...uh...liked...Transformers and X-men.

The accent bit was rather funny I've been trying to pick out what kind of accent that was and there I have it.

I was pissed about The Dark Knight too, I'm sure as hell going to be pissed more when they don't even consider Warcraft (2011 now, damn you Blizzard! one major game a year yet they can't rush the movie just a lil'?) so I've got my t-shirt and cat-ears waiting.

Edit: I also need a voice recorder program so I can angrily post my hate on youtube would anybody happen to know a free,downloadable one?

Edit2: I might go to hell for quoting this but Hey Moviebob how about you break a trend and become the first video maker to actively (I know SirSchmoopy posts but not very freqeuntly) be engaged in the site, huh? huh? Think about it...

stormcaller:

The accent bit was rather funny I've been trying to pick out what kind of accent that was and there I have it.

I wonder if he usually edits it out, because his Boston accent was really pronounced.

I think The Dark Knight is going to be the Watchmen of comic book films. Just like that book, everyone is going to copy it. And just like that book, they're going to copy the wrong stuff. They'll take the crazy villain but not the philosophy. They'll use the killing of main characters but without the moral weight.

I enjoyed it too, but I'm dreading the copy cats it's going to produce. Get ready for every single film to be dark and morbid for no reason other than money grubbing.

Very nice video. I always enjoyed hearing something more cultural than the average movie reviewer. I have to say I like the Boston accent, I've watched most of your stuff but I never pinned you as someone from Boston. I think you should use it more often, I'm assuming you go out of your way to not use it.

On an off topic note, will the game overthinker be moving here too, or is this solely a moviebob transition?

This guy described how old people don't like this reminds me of my parents saying they didn't like it because it was to different from the original. They're 56 by the way. His accent definitely acted up when he's mad. How did the Escapist even find this guy? Was he another youTuber?
EDIT: Question answered.

sv93:
This guy described how old people don't like this reminds me of my parents saying they didn't like it because it was to different from the original. They're 56 by the way. His accent definitely acted up when he's mad. How did the Escapist even find this guy? Was he another youTuber?

yep, he has another "persona" called the gameoverthinker who comments on game culture
http://www.youtube.com/user/moviebob

I'm hoping he participates on the site.

sv93:
How did the Escapist even find this guy? Was he another youTuber?

Yeah the Escapist like letting people ride on their big boat made of money (No cookie for reference, but if you don't get it then you get a smack up-side the head)

stormcaller:

sv93:
How did the Escapist even find this guy? Was he another youTuber?

Yeah the Escapist like letting people ride on their big boat made of money (No cookie for reference, but if you don't get it then you get a smack up-side the head)

I wonder if The Escapist is recession proof?

black lincon:
Very nice video. I always enjoyed hearing something more cultural than the average movie reviewer. I have to say I like the Boston accent, I've watched most of your stuff but I never pinned you as someone from Boston. I think you should use it more often, I'm assuming you go out of your way to not use it.

On an off topic note, will the game overthinker be moving here too, or is this solely a moviebob transition?

We can only hope... that would be so awesome.

gmer412:

black lincon:

We can only hope... that would be so awesome.

That's what I'm hoping for, if it was truly the case I might scream like a small girl.

wow i like MovieBob even more now

orannis62:

stormcaller:

I wonder if he usually edits it out, because his Boston accent was really pronounced.

He did say he was pissed off, but my god his accent really bled through on this one didn't it?

However I assume he does normally edit it out, because this came pretty quickly considering his track record.

When you think about it what he says does seem very much true doesn't it? And while I could say that there hasn't been a sci fi film that is yet worthy of an oscar, there is some truth behind his words in my opinion.

Good Job getting a video on here on it's own Bob, here's to hoping you get OverThinker episodes on here too, I think they would spark some interesting discussion indeed.

MovieBob is always fun to watch when he gets going. But really, dude - if it took you this long to realize that the Oscars are just an expensive format for self-appointed cinema snobs to give press to movies they like but no one else gives a crap about, you haven't been paying attention.

We all still instinctively consider the Oscars some kind of objective measurement of movie greatness, which doesn't make any sense, since they've never been that and never will be. And honestly, how the heck could you even do that with art?

I guess we all just love the idea of classifying things into neat little good/bad categories so we can feel smarter for liking what other people think is good. But understanding that, you have to realize how lame that really is.

And honestly, the worldwide fans have spoken: The Dark Knight made a huge amount of money, and there's no doubt they'll keep making Batman fare. So unless you're somehow connected to the production staff that feels rejected by their peers, what these overdressed snobs think is pretty irrelevant.

Heh, who knows what will happen when our generation comes along for the Oscars?

Good show Moviebob, hope to see more of him at the Escapist.

It's about time Moviebob got his own place on the escapist. I never pay much attention to the Oscars but it definitely sucks that The Black Night isn't on there.

Hallelujah MovieBob has a place other than the tail end of The Escapist Show!

You know, I knew you were from Mass (I remember that Game Overthinker where Brady was the Knight and Manning was the Knave, amen) but I never caught the old "ah" as in "Ahctor." It was funny that you said "Bastard" without a hint of it though.

Hope your job isn't keeping you so busy you can't get more of these done regularly!

I have to say this was done really well I think he made great and in fact intelligent arguements for the the dark was left out but you have to look at the fact as he also mentioned that a lot of other amazing movies gor left out as well so I don;t feel it the dark knight losing out is a big as a problem because it does not take anything away from how great that movie was to begin with

I completely agree with Bob here. Bat Man was amazing but all the other movies were ground breaking too. But it sucks this guy took my escapist spot since i was planning on starting some thing of the same type of start it off on facebook and youtube but eh cant win every time.

I could've sworn you were Dutch before seeing this clip.

I have never heard his accent this thick, and I've watched almost all of his stuff on youtube. Jesus, I had no idea he was from Boston.

Anyway, I'm lucky I've never really cared for the Oscars, no matter who was up for voting.

Bob, I would love your videos even more if you kept the accent. It makes you sound badass.

Onto the topic: I agree on Batman being gypped. I'm not even one for comic book-based movies, but this was a damned good one that at least deserved some kind of mention. I can understand not wanting to put it in based on (my overly optimistic view of) no one wanting Mr. Ledger's death hanging over it. I know that, despite how good the film is, people would wonder if it won because of how strong it is as a film or because of what happened.

My ears are burning ;)

Okay, here's the thing about the accent: It's really only THIS pronounced when I'm mad and/or off on an uninterupted tangent, otherwise I try to tamp it down for the sake of people who have to hear me. 9 times out of 10 I try to dial it back for videos because the drawn-out inflections are a HUGE pain in the butt to edit. In this case, I didn't have much choice because most of the audio was captured "live" with the video.

Anyway, I'm PSYCHED that y'all seem to dig it. Thanks for all the kind words and ESPECIALLY the constructive criticism :)

I cannot believe how well he can actually control his accent when he narrates his recordings. I am also shocked to see him out of the Mario outfit and see him in person.

Moviebob I hope your new job is going well and congratulations for doing so well on both being here on the escapist and your gameoverthinker series.

Love the video! I've been waiting for moviebob to get his own video since seeing him on the escapist show and there was no disappointment here! Keep up the great opinions!

BTW I love the oscars, but agree that sometimes the nominees and the winners totally suck!

Great show, Bob!

Glad to see you get a feature all to yourself.

I would have liked to have heard what in your opinion makes TDK visionary. I can probably guess but I'm not as cinematicly literate.

Dear Escapist people,
More of this please!

Oh fuck that. Slumdog Millionaire is there because of how much raw drama and human emotion it can weave into its story. It is every centimeter a classic movie on every level. Except for the time the kid dived into a pool of shit, that was unnecessary in light of the rest.

Movie Bob.. you are my hero.

I am so glad they gave you this feature, you definitely deserve it.

More please :D

One of the best videos I've seen on the escapist yet. Keep 'em coming.

Jumplion:

If it doesn't have dragons, magic, space ships, or special effects in it then it's not getting a nomination.

L.B. Jeffries:

Jumplion:

If it doesn't have dragons, magic, space ships, or special effects in it then it's not getting a nomination.

Crap, I guess that means the Psychological Thrillers and "shocking but true story"'s are out of the picture, huh?

Jumplion:

Crap, I guess that means the Psychological Thrillers and "shocking but true story"'s are out of the picture, huh?

It's a small price to pay for sending reality TV back into the Hell from whence it came. If we didn't, Bret Michaels could win a lifetime achievement award.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here