The Escapist Presents: MovieBob: Oscar Show

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

MovieBob:
My ears are burning ;)

Okay, here's the thing about the accent: It's really only THIS pronounced when I'm mad and/or off on an uninterupted tangent, otherwise I try to tamp it down for the sake of people who have to hear me. 9 times out of 10 I try to dial it back for videos because the drawn-out inflections are a HUGE pain in the butt to edit. In this case, I didn't have much choice because most of the audio was captured "live" with the video.

Anyway, I'm PSYCHED that y'all seem to dig it. Thanks for all the kind words and ESPECIALLY the constructive criticism :)

I'm a sucker for accents, what can I say?

Holy crap, you sound just like your Dad. And Dave. And Ken. I thought our generation dialed back on the Boston accent.

I can't wait for Watchmen either, but while I liked Dark Knight, I don't share your indignation. Except for Superman (sigh Christopher Reeve) I have prefered my super heroes in comic not movie form.

If the Oscars really ARE all about the acting (and I am inclined to agree) then DOUBT was the big snub in my mind. (I'm going to see THE WRESTLER this weekend. Poor Mickey Roarke and his dog).

Keep up the great work, MovieBob.
your cousin in Kentucky

Yeah I was at least a little disapointed it didn't get a nomination. I don't think it ought to have won, but getting a nod would have been enough. Perhaps after the acadamy sees the backlash their will be a bit more consideration for the next sci-fi, comic book, fantisy adventure.

It's strange, but I imagined moviebob looking like this.

It's a tough year for movies to get in, if only they had made it in 1996 - when babe was nominated and braveheart won!

Well I think the Dark Night is to much of a sudden change for them but all his points are valid, and I'll definatly be pissed off, but I'm not holding my breath for watchmen because it might be bad. (not saying it is till I've seen it just hoping its another Dark Night)

Holy ****! I always thought Bob was a skinny 18 years old O.o

Anyway, I love you for this, you are completely right about the Oscars, couldn't agree with you more. "Best movie" is subjective.

I just noticed your accent! where is MovieBob from? Sounds like he lives in Massachusetts.
Anyways, I never knew that The Dark Knight didn't get nominated. What the fuck is wrong with these people! The majority of America doesn't realize that Batman is really suppose to symbolize a man in politics, a man that many hate, George W. Bush. Yes, I'm comparing the president with the lowest approval rate and chances are, your least favorite president but, you love how brave Batman was when the only difference in the principle between the two is that Batman didn't go all out warfare on the Joker. If your someone who noticed that The Dark Knight was more then a movie about Batman and a movie about modern politics, pat yourself on the back, you deserve a cookie for being intelligent.

TheBluesader:
But really, dude - if it took you this long to realize that the Oscars are just an expensive format for self-appointed cinema snobs to give press to movies they like but no one else gives a crap about, you haven't been paying attention.

He knew alright, but what's common knowledge among most must be stated.

carnkhan4:
It's strange, but I imagined moviebob looking like this.

Perhaps the image of a large man in red and blue overalls with a 'tash and red cap is familiar? It's appeared several times in the Overthinker episodes.

Glad to see you with a proper slot. Although... all of this filming won't make production time longer will it?!

Get this man his own series! I loved all of his reviews, that were part of the Escapist show.

Uncensored and honest. More please.

Okay, I agree that The Dark Knight was the best movie last year, for several reasons that even the Academy should have picked up on. I saw it 3 times in theaters just to take others who hadn't seen it yet.

But no mention of Robert Downey Jr being nominated from a Comedy? And not "Comedy" is the loose award-show sense but comedy as in a movie that makes you laugh. I thought there was some progress there.

This just sound like a rant video to me. Wow still shock people waste money and 2 hours of there life on movies sence 99% if not all are bad. Sure I have not seen batman that been on my rent list. I seen to many money where they get all this blood hype about then they are just making me want a refund of my 2 hours I could have been working or even being with family and friends. Get a clue people movies are die just like books and video games. it sad but there just to many retard on this planet.

I do not agree that The Dark Knight is the best picture of 2008 and worthy of that Oscar, but I do believe that it should have been nominated for the sake of giving the Academy Awards some relevance again. It's not so much about the Academy snubbing The Dark Knight so much as it's about being completely oblivious, even to their own golden boy, Clint Eastwood.

Also, your tangent about Sci-Fi/Superhero cinema being second rate is easily transferable to Wall-E, a film that is just as deserving as Best Picture yet is ignored for much the same reason. Though I suppose that angle is over played since it's echoed every year Pixar releases a movie.

Indigo_Dingo:
Oh fuck that. Slumdog Millionaire is there because of how much raw drama and human emotion it can weave into its story. It is every centimeter a classic movie on every level. Except for the time the kid dived into a pool of shit, that was unnecessary in light of the rest.

Bob's real issue with Slumdog Millionaire was that it didn't feature a girl-on-girl knife fight.

Happy b'day, Bob!

Dude, great job on this video! It's nice to see a dressed down, yet serious argument on this year's Oscar picks. Btw, if you want to more of Marisa Tomei (who wouldn't?) definitely check out Sidney Lumet's "Before The Devil Knows You're Dead". First scene, naked Tomei, 'nuff said.

Excellent job as always!!!

I second lightbunny on the birthday wishes, some day Bob will realize that everything can't have a girl-on-girl knife fight... some day.

thatstheguy:
It's about time Moviebob got his own place on the escapist. I never pay much attention to the Oscars but it definitely sucks that The Black Night isn't on there.

I agree, all hail moviebob...

very cool review. I only know you from youtube as The Game Overthinker so it's interesting to see you in a different light :)

Moviebob, pahk the damn cah!

L.B. Jeffries:
I think The Dark Knight is going to be the Watchmen of comic book films. Just like that book, everyone is going to copy it. And just like that book, they're going to copy the wrong stuff. They'll take the crazy villain but not the philosophy. They'll use the killing of main characters but without the moral weight.

I enjoyed it too, but I'm dreading the copy cats it's going to produce. Get ready for every single film to be dark and morbid for no reason other than money grubbing.

I'm seriously worried about this too. Yeah, Dark Knight was a fantastic movie, in fact I would say its the best super hero movie I've ever seen.

I'm just worried that Hollywood is going start making ever comic book movie serious. Would Spiderman work as a serious movie? Fuck no! Would Superman, the Hulk or Ironman work if they had a serious realistic tone? Ofcoarse they wouldn't!

Batman only works because he almost believable. Theres very few other comic book characters I could see working like this.

But anyway, great rant Bob.

Oh the oscars are a bunch of bull, have been for a long time now. Ever since boring ass Ordinary People took the oscar in 1980 instead of Raging Bull, Raging Bull now considered probably the best movie of the 80s and Ordinary People a movie that almost everyone as completely forgotten about, I've never taken the oscars seriously.

SomeBritishDude:
"I'm just worried that Hollywood is going start making ever comic book movie serious. Would Spiderman work as a serious movie? Fuck no! Would Superman, the Hulk or Ironman work if they had a serious realistic tone? Ofcoarse they wouldn't!"

I agree. A little of this has already started to rear it's head - John August (screenwriter) on his blog awhile back talked about how the success of Dark Knight basically led Warner Bros. to wind up scrapping the "Captain Marvel" (Shazam-version) movie has was working on for them. He'd written it as a whimsical, all-ages sort of thing (i.e. what the material actually IS) but once Dark Knight hit WB asked for it to be reworked as a harder-edged macho actioner (less magical animals, more emphasis on villain Black Adam, etc.) Eventually they just didn't make it at all.

The Oscars are basically a convention of "film viewers" (they call them "films," of course, because they're too sophisticated to use a word as crass and purile as "movies") to crow about how deep and artistic their tastes are, by lavishing praise on every "realistic" movie imaginable ("realistic" usually being defined as "depressing and slow-paced"), while hanging great films that happen to include *gasp* special effects... out to dry, dressed up with popular modern actors handing out the awards so they can pretend to have cultural relevance. They have never, ever, chosen the best movie of the year for Best Picture, and half the time it's not even nominated (Memento's only nomination was for Best fucking Editing!). Rarely if ever do they hand out the correct award in any category at all, and when they do it's usually because there are no other choices on the list of nominees that have any connection at all to the category and are just there to pad out the list so they have the required number of candidates to choose from.

And yet, every year, writers, actors and directors shamelessly whore themselves out the most paint-by-numbers of projects, movies cynically designed from top to bottom with their sights set on those little gold-plated statues of androgynous people holding giant mesh balls over their heads.

In other news, head over to moviebob's YouTube channel and check out his Game OverThinker series. It's like a more thought-provoking and less drama-whoring version of Zero Punctuation. Escapist, please get moviebob to move that series over here!

Finally, MovieBob's personal show! Do want more!

I'm annoyed, actually, because Bob mirrors the general vibe I've been getting from all corners:

* The Dark Knight got snubbed.
* A nomination would bring more cred to superhero movies.

I'm annoyed because I disagree with both of these premises.

The Dark Knight did not get snubbed because they generally nominate good movies and Dark Knight is terrible. I hated, hated, hated, hated that movie. Even just from an objective standpoint it has inconsistent aesthetics, lackluster photography, and a script that is not a movie script but a season of a television series condensed into a feature-length film. This last bit is the most damning since it muddies the narrative and keeps it from achieving whatever impact it might have had. The plot is an overcomplicated web of subplots that no doubt took a great deal of work to put together, but I feel it was a wasted effort because the resulting experience is just so dull. Also, I don't think Christian Bale could act like a paper bag, much less act his way out of one.

Now, I may be forced to admit that most of my complaints about the movie, which I won't bother going into because it seems like everyone else loved the damned movie because... I'm the only one immune to whatever they put in the drinking water, I guess. But most of my complaints could be seen as mostly a matter of taste. Where I can make a more solid objective argument is on the second point, the idea of such recognition bringing... respect to the superhero genre.

I disagree with this because the Nolan Batman movies are not superhero movies. Or they try very hard to not be superhero movies. The film seem ashamed of what little of the genre that manages to get into them. Gone are the bright colors, stunning visual, sense of fantasy that is what superheroes are.

If I were to compare, I think these movies are like the 2004 film Troy which had all of the myth sucked out of it in an attempt to show "what really happened" or for some kind of "realism" aesthetic. So Achilles is no longer immortal because he was dipped in the River Styx as an infant. He's just a really good fighter. Imagine if they made a movie about King Arthur where Excalibur was not a magic sword and Merlin was just a wise man with no supernatural powers (Actually, they did do this with the 2004's King Arthur). Imagine if they did the same thing with Lord of the Rings.

What I mean by all of this is that Dark Knight is a super hero movie that is ashamed of its roots and as such tries very hard to distance itself from the things that make the super hero genre what it is. So it would not bring any respect or whatever to the superhero genre, because the film itself does not respect the genre at all and tries very hard to be something else.

As such, I'm glad Dark Knight was not nominated for Best Picture. Not only would I likely snap and go all Lee Harvey Oswald listening to all the nerds crowing about it like they had anything to do with it, but it would mean that this would be the only kind of superhero movie they would make. As such, I guess I get to look forward to a bunch of superhero movies that are ashamed to be superhero movies thanks to Dark Knight's box office success, anyway. For my money, Iron Man was a better film although still not perfect as it wasn't a superhero movie, either. It was just a movie with a superhero in it, but at least it wasn't ashamed of it.

Wow, MovieBob is here straight out of the blue.

Anyway, The Dark Knight deserves Best Picture.
It's better than all of them nominated (apart from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)

the antithesis:

The Dark Knight did not get snubbed because they generally nominate good movies and Dark Knight is terrible. I hated, hated, hated, hated that movie. Even just from an objective standpoint it has inconsistent aesthetics, lackluster photography, and a script that is not a movie script but a season of a television series condensed into a feature-length film. This last bit is the most damning since it muddies the narrative and keeps it from achieving whatever impact it might have had. The plot is an overcomplicated web of subplots that no doubt took a great deal of work to put together, but I feel it was a wasted effort because the resulting experience is just so dull. Also, I don't think Christian Bale could act like a paper bag, much less act his way out of one.

Where do you live? *loads shotgun*

sneak_copter:

Pffffft! Ha ha ha ha!

You can pretend to be a tough guy all you want, it won't make that movie any better. Better people than you have tried, goodness knows.

Everybody

Moviebob is on the Escapist show! He's been on there for ages!

Sylocat:
The Oscars are basically a convention of "film viewers" (they call them "films," of course, because they're too sophisticated to use a word as crass and purile as "movies") to crow about how deep and artistic their tastes are, by lavishing praise on every "realistic" movie imaginable ("realistic" usually being defined as "depressing and slow-paced"), while hanging great films that happen to include *gasp* special effects... out to dry, dressed up with popular modern actors handing out the awards so they can pretend to have cultural relevance.

1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button probably has better special effects than The Dark Knight, Iron Man, and the Incredible Hulk put together. They've been tossing the idea of the film around for a long time (well over a decade, in fact) but couldn't make it because the technology to do so did not exist up until recently. That's pretty cutting edge if you ask me.

2. All three Lord of the Rings films (2001-2003) were nominated for Best Picture and Return of the King managed to win. It's worth noting that sometimes even the nerds win.

3. Frost/Nixon and Slumdog Millionaire are both fine movies plenty worthy of Best Picture, though I can't say I care for Benjamin Button or Milk, and I absolutely hated The Reader.

4. Remember that the Oscars are the Oscars. It's predictable, overlong, boring, and set in its ways. Nerd rage won't change that.

Nerd rage won't change anything because it's like a grown man going to the office dressed like a bunny rabbit. No one takes it seriously and after being laughed at all day, he pretends it was supposed to be a joke as well.

the antithesis:

sneak_copter:

Pffffft! Ha ha ha ha!

You can pretend to be a tough guy all you want, it won't make that movie any better. Better people than you have tried, goodness knows.

Dude, Chill out. It was only a joke.
You can have your own opinion, and I was trying to disagree with you in an amusing way.
If you can't take a joke, you're on the wrong forum.

sneak_copter:

You can have your own opinion, and I was trying to disagree with you in an amusing way.

You joke would be funnier:

A) If you were the first one to do it and

B) Some if not most of those who'd done so before were not serious about it. Or at least as serious about it as a chubby twelve year old typing with fingers dyed orange by excessive amounts of Cheetos can be about murder, I guess. Particularly murder that would require traveling. Fat ass can even be bothered to get up from his chair to scratch his own ass.

I like moviebob but am I the only one that thought the dark knight got eviserated at the end

well

the antithesis:

sneak_copter:

B) Some if not most of those who'd done so before were not serious about it. Or at least as serious about it as a chubby twelve year old typing with fingers dyed orange by excessive amounts of Cheetos can be about murder, I guess. Particularly murder that would require traveling. Fat ass can even be bothered to get up from his chair to scratch his own ass.

wow you sir are a resident dickhead

MovieBob:
My ears are burning ;)

Okay, here's the thing about the accent: It's really only THIS pronounced when I'm mad and/or off on an uninterupted tangent, otherwise I try to tamp it down for the sake of people who have to hear me. 9 times out of 10 I try to dial it back for videos because the drawn-out inflections are a HUGE pain in the butt to edit. In this case, I didn't have much choice because most of the audio was captured "live" with the video.

Anyway, I'm PSYCHED that y'all seem to dig it. Thanks for all the kind words and ESPECIALLY the constructive criticism :)

I like the accent you shouldt tone it down I dont try to tone down my brobe its who you are

the antithesis:

sneak_copter:

A. I was the first one to do it.

B. I wasn't serious about it. Of course I would shoot somebody with a shotgun just for disagreeing with them over a quality of a film. Erm, I'm not 12. I don't like Cheetos. I have completed a full triathlon.

Seriously man. Your post was not only hurtful, but you massively over-reacted to what was intended only to be a simple joke. You then ridicule me for no ulterior motive than your own amusment. Let's end this now, before we both get banned.

Seriously, I don't want to offend anybody, and I want the same back.
I am actually quite a nice guy. Deep Down. Really deep down.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here