Review: Star Ocean: Second Evolution

Review: Star Ocean: Second Evolution

Second Evolution proves that JRPGs haven't changed much in the last decade - but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Read Full Article

amazingly, the game looks awesome!!!

Finish Persona 3 so you can play Persona 4, you fool!

Oh, spiffy, I just reviewed this a small while ago ;)

Well, can't say everybody will like SO2 - the PSP remake made me realize that there's not a whole lot the game offers. Nevertheless, it takes the #1 spot for my favorite game of all time - there's just way too many good memories (1700+ hours on the original PSX game) of my childhood intwined with this game that it's impossible for me to not love it.

I don't feel this review went in depth at all; I was utterly shocked to see I was almost done with the review when you were praising the customization feature. However, you still hit on a lot of key points that readers are going to want to know, so I'd say you did a fairly good job and I agree with your feelings for the game (for the most part). If you're not a die-hard fan of the original or the series, this might not be the game you'll be talking about twenty years from now.

I don't agree with this review at all. Call me biast, but I find this game to be very entertaining, and I think The World Ends With You was way to kingdom Hearts for me. Star Ocean had a great mix of everything. Of course, I bought it when I was yonger and on the PS1, so yeah. I'd say that Star Ocean: Till the End of Time was not up to par with Star Ocean 2.

The review felt very empty... what about the great private actions? Those were a great aspect of the game.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I guess Star Ocean isn't for everyone, but... maybe a little more effort...

I've been watching my best friend play it. There is this little summoner girl that has The Worst Voice Acting In the world. But its a good game. The strategy Guide is freaking Hugh.

congratulations, you told us almost nothing. According to you, the best features are the skill system, and the combat, COMPLETELY ignoring the private actions, actions that allow you to interact with party characters and choose between 81 endings. You said little to nothing about the item creation, one of the most helpful tools and I have no idea what you're talking about on paragraph 4 because you used too many and too long analogys that you destroyed the message, and not to mention the game has a brilliant plot twist i will not spoil, but you refused to mention that either.

Warachia:
congratulations, you told us almost nothing. According to you, the best features are the skill system, and the combat, COMPLETELY ignoring the private actions, actions that allow you to interact with party characters and choose between 81 endings. You said little to nothing about the item creation, one of the most helpful tools and I have no idea what you're talking about on paragraph 4 because you used too many and too long analogys that you destroyed the message, and not to mention the game has a brilliant plot twist i will not spoil, but you refused to mention that either.

Gotta agree with this, except a little less antagonistic. You really didn't tell us much about the actual game. It kind of seems like you didn't really explore its intricacies or even finish it. No mention of item creation? No private actions? No mention of multiple endings? While I agree that it is a generally mediocre JRPG, the Item Creation and Skill system alone elevate it to the status of classic. It's also very innovative, even by today's standards - which is kind of sad.

Also its purdy.

SinfulKnight:
I've been watching my best friend play it. There is this little summoner girl that has The Worst Voice Acting In the world. But its a good game. The strategy Guide is freaking Hugh.

Amen! Lots and lots of pages on how to cook things, write books, etc. And that's just the craft skills, wait till you get to the actual game or the personal interaction stuff. Yowza!

As for the review, I mostly agree with them. This was a fun game -- and I still listen to the soundtrack -- but it hasn't aged as well as other members of the genre. The voice acting is...alright?...and the live-action fights are a nice change from the old turn-based stuff, but it plays like a prototype Kingdom Hearts or FF XII; it may have done it first, but that doesn't mean it does it best.

The real meat of the game is in the jobs, the side-quests, and the personal interaction asides that take place between characters. You can choose/affect the nature of their interactions, too, which gives the characters and their interactions far more depth than the a lot of the standard, flat JRPG characters (FF XII, I'm looking at you...).

Bottom line: it's a decent game, the plot was cute, the interactions were nice, but it just hasn't aged well, especially when there are plenty of titles that do pretty much the same thing and are doing it better.

Just my $0.02.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here