Unskippable: Digital Devil Saga

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Brilliant! Loved it - Fallout 3 reference, Darkness reference, but no power rangers reference? Noooo!!!!

nice, loved the referance to your older episode :D

I love ATLUS's games, especially Shin Megami Tensei, but geez. Digital Devil Saga has to be the worst of the SMT bunch, which makes it such great cheese fodder.

You know you wanna do an Unskippable on Nocturne next...

Oh, and I forgot about the Doctor Who intro!

"The game itself is begging for Mercy"

"The green text looks like its writing a Linkin Park song" - "That explains why the white text is so upset"

This was awesome, though I wonder why the didn't do the whole opening..

also, first thing I thought when I saw those lights was "Someone opened the Ark of the Covenant."

Great job guys! You have a knack for finding opening cutscenes where the events will only make sense in context. Are you guys planning on sticking to opening cinemas or are you willing to branch out to non-opening cutscenes?

"That would be a terrible strategy"
"You're a terrible strategy"
"Ouch..."

Also great Fallout 3 reference at the start BTW lol!

You get +20 rep for the Dog.

roblikestoskate:
I love ATLUS's games, especially Shin Megami Tensei, but geez. Digital Devil Saga has to be the worst of the SMT bunch, which makes it such great cheese fodder.

I found DDS (and DDS2) to be the best Atlus game in the last years. Mainly for the really good story.

Also Nocturne wouldn't be fun to watch because there is no spoken dialogue.

ElephantGuts:
Ah yes, Spaceballs. And I think that was one of the most fucked up looking games I have ever seen. Especially the cat. But that's the reason I stay away from JRPGs and, well, any game coming out of Japan.

It is weird but it (and part 2) has also a great story (the best one in any game ever IMO).

And you don't like games from Japan? You library of games must be very limited....and maybe boring.

Huh, Three Dog, where have I heard that bef... ohh. Right.

Whoo, a game i've actually played.

Anyways I thought it was quite good, one of your better ones. To many good lines to list here.

Awesome. The final frontier for these people. And they've just crossed it. But seriously... where the hell do they find these strange and peculiar games?

"Ow, I fell on my keys."

That made me laugh for a worryingly long amount of time.

Epic win :D
I thought the artichoke was yours !

Is it just me or do these things get better every week?

Ronwue:
Awesome. The final frontier for these people. And they've just crossed it. But seriously... where the hell do they find these strange and peculiar games?

E-Mails sent by users probably.

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:
Ah yes, Spaceballs. And I think that was one of the most fucked up looking games I have ever seen. Especially the cat. But that's the reason I stay away from JRPGs and, well, any game coming out of Japan.

It is weird but it (and part 2) has also a great story (the best one in any game ever IMO).

And you don't like games from Japan? You library of games must be very limited....and maybe boring.

The creepy underage teenage androgous boys and girls, the way its always them who are right and have to save the world with their painfully shrill voices, the fact that every JRPG is about 1 minute of gameplay per 1 hour of cutscene. Sonic and Mario and other J-Platformers are fine (Well, Sonic used to be fine) but every other Japanese game I've played was just so painful to even try.

Plus, they don't seem to make anything aside from JRPGs and novel-games. Shooters, RTS, TBS, space sims, etc, are not apart of the typical Japanese gaming catalog.

scotth266:
Giant tentacled artichokes: the natural predator of game characters.
But seriously, I enjoyed this. Three Dog reference all the way.
The one thing I don't remember the reference to was the meow at the end... seems strangely familiar.
Now if only the giant glowing holes around my campus were filled with something other than radiation (if you get my drift).

It's a cat. It goes "meow!" Why does that have to be a pop-culture reference?

Doug:

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:

The creepy underage teenage androgous boys and girls, the way its always them who are right and have to save the world with their painfully shrill voices, the fact that every JRPG is about 1 minute of gameplay per 1 hour of cutscene. Sonic and Mario and other J-Platformers are fine (Well, Sonic used to be fine) but every other Japanese game I've played was just so painful to even try.

Plus, they don't seem to make anything aside from JRPGs and novel-games. Shooters, RTS, TBS, space sims, etc, are not apart of the typical Japanese gaming catalog.

1 minute of gameplay per 1 hour of cutscene? There we see that there is no grind in JRPG's.

You have to play some good JRPG's. Not that Final Fantasy crap.

Doug:

That's the sterio type but it dosen't make it true. For example Romance of the Three Kingdoms one of the most famous turn based statagy games, is made by Koei, a japanese developer.

Though it is true that FPS aren't popular in japan, so japanese companys dont make them.

Vlane:

roblikestoskate:

I found DDS (and DDS2) to be the best Atlus game in the last years. Mainly for the really good story.

True. There was no dialogue in Nocturne. It probably wouldn't work.

The story of DDS had better damn well be good, because the gameplay was two huge steps backward compared to Nocturne's Hard Mode, and thus hard to accept. In fact, Nocturne is the only RPG where the gameplay kept me interested rather than the story. And I'm relieved to hear that DDS's story was good, because I lost interest about half way through the first disc. I think I was on that abandoned cruise ship or something when I just hit threshold on gameplay tedium. And maybe the characters develop further, but I just didn't find them to be particularly interesting and I didn't see the story going anywhere. Take your input on good faith and give the game another chance. I have both discs, so perhaps DDS2 is where the storyline payoff occurs. I guess my philosophy is that playing the game should be its own reward, not the work required to get to a juicy storyline snippet.

Vlane:

Doug:

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:

1 minute of gameplay per 1 hour of cutscene? There we see that there is no grind in JRPG's.

I haven't played Final Fanatasy. I've played Blue Dragon and Metal Gear Solid ... 2 (which is the one with the whiny bugger as your playable character?). And to be honest, I'm not buying a PS3 just to play JRPGs. Is Last Remant any good? The PC demo seems to be badly ported so I didn't give it a proper go.

EDIT:
As for the abuance of cutscenes, I still hold with the view that if I wanted a fanatasy movie, I'd buy or rent a DVD of a fanatasy movie, not a fanatasy movie pretending to be a game.

Eric the Orange:

Doug:
[same as above]

That's the sterio type but it dosen't make it true. For example one of the most famous turn based statagy games, is made by Koei a japanese developer.

Though it is true that FPS aren't popular in japan, so japanese companys dont make them.

The Romance of the Three Kingdoms? I did try a demo of one of them, but couldn't get a handle on them. Didn't even realise they (the series) where popular.

Now wasnt this just meeeow. And with the third most naked lady Ive ever seen. I liked.

roblikestoskate:

Vlane:

roblikestoskate:

True. There was no dialogue in Nocturne. It probably wouldn't work.

The story of DDS had better damn well be good, because the gameplay was two huge steps backward compared to Nocturne's Hard Mode, and thus hard to accept. In fact, Nocturne is the only RPG where the gameplay kept me interested rather than the story. And I'm relieved to hear that DDS's story was good, because I lost interest about half way through the first disc. I think I was on that abandoned cruise ship or something when I just hit threshold on gameplay tedium. And maybe the characters develop further, but I just didn't find them to be particularly interesting and I didn't see the story going anywhere. Take your input on good faith and give the game another chance. I have both discs, so perhaps DDS2 is where the storyline payoff occurs. I guess my philosophy is that playing the game should be its own reward, not the work required to get to a juicy storyline snippet.

The story really gets better in the second game.

I don't force you to play through them but if you have some time to spend go play through it. Maybe you will like it by the end.

I actually found DDS to be a little bit harder than Nocturne. I took me a few months until I could beat Luzifer but I have yet to beat Demi-Fiend on DDS. Other than that I thought that the difficulty was on the same level.

Incredible Bullshitting Man:
Now wasnt this just meeeow. And with the third most naked lady Ive ever seen. I liked.

The glowing hole yesterday was better.

Doug:

Vlane:

Doug:

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:

I haven't played Final Fanatasy. I've played Blue Dragon and Metal Gear Solid ... 2 (which is the one with the whiny bugger as your playable character?). And to be honest, I'm not buying a PS3 just to play JRPGs. Is Last Remant any good? The PC demo seems to be badly ported so I didn't give it a proper go.

I haven't played Blue Dragon. I think I had no money at the time.

MGS 2 isn't something I would call a JRPG.

No The Last Remant is not good. The PC version is really bad and the Xbox 360 version is also bad.

Vlane:

Doug:

Vlane:

Doug:

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:

I haven't played Blue Dragon. I think I had no money at the time.

MGS 2 isn't something I would call a JRPG.

No The Last Remant is not good. The PC version is really bad and the Xbox 360 version is also bad.

Well, I didn't mean MSG 2 was a JRPG, I meant it was a Japanese game (and seemingly one of the most popular/typical of them).

EDIT:
Glad to see my spider sense about Last Remant was correct!

Doug:

Yep, it sure was, but not better than the one before yesterday.

Doug:

Yep, it sure was, but not better than the one before yesterday.

Ah yeah... that was the best.

I love this show.

"That's the kind of combination an idiot would have on his luggage!"

I just watched that yesterday, actually.

Also, is "Funny, he doesn't look cherish" is another good 'un.

And in retrospect I get the Doctor Who reference.

Go, Artichoke!

To be honest, I found the cutscene itself too interestingly bizarre to pay much attention to Graham and Paul. Still good though, with PLENTY of references to go around. Kudos Graham and Paul.

EDIT: Ok one part made me laugh out loud, which is terrible, I'm at work:

Hilarious! The Doctor Who reference was awesome, and I think I died when you said "And that was the second time I died" lol! Brilliant.

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:

Maybe I'm forgetting about some games that are made in Japan and I don't realize, but I can't really think of any. What games are made in Japan? No I don't have a limited or boring library of games. The Call of Duties, Fallout 3, Far Crys, Battlefield: Bad Company, the Total War series, World in Conflict, Sins of a Solar Empire, GTA4, Saints Row 2, Mass Effect...Now that I think about it, what games besides JRPGs are from Japan? The only popular one I can think of are the MGSs. All the common ones (ones I listed atleast, among many others) aren't Japanese.

Haha, It's the spacebaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or