Unskippable: Digital Devil Saga

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

"Just because their B unit, doesnt mean they're stupid"

That'll be the catchphrase of second-rates everywhere now!

Meow!

this series always makes me laugh, but did that cat look like it had a very angry smile on its face? or is that just me, anyway, i loved it!

ElephantGuts:

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:
Ah yes, Spaceballs. And I think that was one of the most fucked up looking games I have ever seen. Especially the cat. But that's the reason I stay away from JRPGs and, well, any game coming out of Japan.

It is weird but it (and part 2) has also a great story (the best one in any game ever IMO).

And you don't like games from Japan? You library of games must be very limited....and maybe boring.

Maybe I'm forgetting about some games that are made in Japan and I don't realize, but I can't really think of any. What games are made in Japan? No I don't have a limited or boring library of games. The Call of Duties, Fallout 3, Far Crys, Battlefield: Bad Company, the Total War series, World in Conflict, Sins of a Solar Empire, GTA4, Saints Row 2, Mass Effect...Now that I think about it, what games besides JRPGs are from Japan? The only popular one I can think of are the MGSs. All the common ones (ones I listed atleast, among many others) aren't Japanese.

Devil May Cry, the Nintendo franchises (besides some Metroid games) and Street Fighter for example. That are the ones I can see right now when I look at my shelf.

And your library is a bit boring IMO. So many shooters.

"Oh, you woke it up, and it's mad"

They make me laugh ^^. Good stuff.

This one was great, and easily one of the best so far for references!

I was half-expecting a "Ceiling Cat" reference in the final scene there, but the "meow" will do anyway...:P

ElephantGuts:

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:
Ah yes, Spaceballs. And I think that was one of the most fucked up looking games I have ever seen. Especially the cat. But that's the reason I stay away from JRPGs and, well, any game coming out of Japan.

It is weird but it (and part 2) has also a great story (the best one in any game ever IMO).

And you don't like games from Japan? You library of games must be very limited....and maybe boring.

Maybe I'm forgetting about some games that are made in Japan and I don't realize, but I can't really think of any. What games are made in Japan? No I don't have a limited or boring library of games. The Call of Duties, Fallout 3, Far Crys, Battlefield: Bad Company, the Total War series, World in Conflict, Sins of a Solar Empire, GTA4, Saints Row 2, Mass Effect...Now that I think about it, what games besides JRPGs are from Japan? The only popular one I can think of are the MGSs. All the common ones (ones I listed atleast, among many others) aren't Japanese.

You know, the claims people make about Japan would be similar to saying that the only games North America ever makes are FPS and that all their games/comics star either space marines or men with bisceps larger than their heads. Actually I'm having trouble thinking of western games that don't fall into that later category, and the first seems pretty much true with maybe a side order RTS games. Of course, we know thats not true, and if we took a look at Japan we'd see plenty of action games, platformers, mecha and train simulation games, the ever-so-popular "bullet hell" shooters, horror games aside from Resident Evil (Japanese, btw, called "Biohazard" over there) and Silent Hill series. Pretty much every Nintendo franchise is from Japan, and I'd be surprised if Sony didn't have a few as well. Both companies are based in Japan, afterall. Microsoft is probably the only company without a large number of Japanese games for their system, though thats been changing.

Anyway, call me culturally inept, but most of the references in the video went over my head. Still, its interesting and its gotten better too. I remember I didn't bother watching the Eternal Sonata one because I couldn't make out what anyone was saying and missed pretty much all the jokes. I think it was the Grandia III video that made me start watching this regularly...

And yet another what looks to be J-RPG that doesn't make ANY SENSE! Still funny guys, there was a few moments that made me laugh

roblikestoskate:
I love ATLUS's games, especially Shin Megami Tensei, but geez. Digital Devil Saga has to be the worst of the SMT bunch, which makes it such great cheese fodder.

You know you wanna do an Unskippable on Nocturne next...

Nocturne didn't really have an opening cutscene. Ones that start with talking really don't make for good parody. Not saying Nocturne didn't rule, it just didn't have an intro cutscene. DDS is really the only SMT game thats done that

Not as good as some of the others but still a good laugh.

Nice, very nice. I love em!

But if I seriously hear Steven Jay Blum in one more damn game.. He's like Jennifer Hale, but with only one voice. He's everywhere!

The androgyny confuses my feeble male mind...

"YOU'RE a terrible strategy" "Ouch.."
I laughed

quiet empire:
Hahaha, loved the doctor who reference at the beginning. XD

Word Empire, I love how fast they changed their minds about having guns to crossbows with exploding arrows.

very good!
space balls reference was fun. also man i hate 3dog, so damn annoying.

my favorite bit was when the crossbow exploded hahaha and meeeeeowwww .... meeiiiiiaaauuuoooooww

This game was suggested by a viewer (thanks!) but we had already planned to do it. My girlfriend owns it actually.
I should say, it's an awesome game, and a ton of fun if you like the JRPG style.
It's just got a VERY weird plot.

If anyone wants to suggest games, please do: graham@loadingreadyrun.com
Put "unskippable" in the subject line though.

Also, we've looked at Devil May Cry, and it's good, but a little short. We may still do it, but not right now.

That made no snes, if i made an opening sequence there would be alot more naked in-a-glowing-hole girls around and Mike Paton Would have alot more jobs that these rascist ones he keeps getting

Mike Paton as The Whiteness

Meee-oowww

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:

Devil May Cry, the Nintendo franchises (besides some Metroid games) and Street Fighter for example. That are the ones I can see right now when I look at my shelf.

My library isn't boring at all. I just listed some of the more popular games off the top of my head. In fact I have games from a lot of different genres. A lot more diverse than many people's. And my list doesn't have a lot of shooters, unless you're counting every single war game as a shooter. I don't see how you could say that just because I don't have a lot of Japanese games I don't have many games, or interesting ones. In fact, if anything Japanese games seem more confined to specific genres than other ones.

Now I remember.

The quote, when he's running: "Motion Blurrrrr!" Sounds strangely familiar. I mean, on Homestarrunner.com, Strong Bad answered an email about web comics, and how photoshop effect-laden some can become... "Ocean Ripple!" "Find Edges!" "Sharpen More!" "Erm...! Nudge!"

"Motion blur" fit in, though I could just be connecting them in my mind. :)

Hey. Hey heyheyheyhey.

The game was still cool.

Mariena:

But if I seriously hear Steven Jay Blum in one more damn game.. He's like Jennifer Hale, but with only one voice. He's everywhere!

I noticed that just now and I played through both DDS 1 and 2 two times.

At least you don't hear him as often as Wendee Lee (Soulcalibur IV, Persona 4, Tales of Vesperia and many more).

This is getting better and better. Incredible, probably my favorite series here on Escapist. Yes, even more favorite then Doomsday Arcade and Zero Punctuation.

Mariena:

Seriously. I'm surprised they haven't referanced how many voices he has done in the games they've riffed on so far.

Graham, you would make the best cat ever!

Also loved the Spaceballs reference

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:

Vlane:

ElephantGuts:

...Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, despite having guns, were not straight shooters.

Sorry, I don't like the style of the Japanese games that I have encountered. It's a very subtle thing about the pacing that frustrates the hell out of me. There's a few thematic things that I'm not much of a fan of either. (Eternal Sonata's little monologue about how much humans suck and how the moon is so beautiful made me want to strangle myself.) I get bugged to no end by poor translations as well, so it colors my vision of them. They are pretty seldom matched as far as setting up a creepy situation, though...

I personally have plenty of perfectly interesting games that do not happen to be Japanese. Do you really believe that almost all good games come from Japan?

Planescape: Torment... Baldur's Gate. Psychonauts. Hitman. The Witcher. (HA! That one isn't even American!) Deus Ex. Mass Effect, you called a shooter. A shooter? Everything with guns is not a flat shooter. *shrugs* You seem to be selectively mentally blotting out a really large selection of games.

*end Pet Peeve*

That has got to be the weirdest one yet, but the references still made we laugh... "Here you take the eyeball." Nice.

Digital Devil Saga has a fairly complicated story. You'd never make sense of it just by watching the intro.

Anyway, good video, but I think there's far worse games than this you guys could be targeting.

Man, so many references, I've lost count. The space balls one was well executed, awesome job. Keep the lol's a rollin'!

I mostly play games from the US (various shooters, RPGs and RTSes as well as my all-time favorite Sacrifice which is something inbetween), Germany (like Gothic and Spellforce) or other European countries (Silver is from France I believe).
I'm not really into Japanese games either. Otoh, those are mostly for consoles and the only console I have back home is the PS One... Huh, Medievil and Worms World Party aren't Japanese, are they? I think the only Japanese game I own is Tekken 3.

It's worth mentioning that DDS borrows heavily from Hindu culture and mythology, so there's not much that's 'Japanese' about it shy of having been developed there.

The Embryon's base is called Muladhara, for example, and most of the bosses you fight are straight out of Hindu lore.

Mythology references are all over the place in most most SMT games, but DDS is especially focused on Hinduism.

hahahahah LMFAO i love these guys. this is threee dog, AWOOOOO! lmfaoooo

"That has to be the most badass My Little Pony I've ever seen."
The throwbacks to The Darkness were great too.

cj_iwakura:
Digital Devil Saga has a fairly complicated story. You'd never make sense of it just by watching the intro.

Anyway, good video, but I think there's far worse games than this you guys could be targeting.

I doubt you could make much sense of any video game just by watching a less than 10 minute intro.

Definitely my favorite so far, probably because this is the only game you guys have done that I've actually played

lol Spaceballs reference.

MarsProbe:
This one was great, and easily one of the best so far for references!

I was half-expecting a "Ceiling Cat" reference in the final scene there, but the "meow" will do anyway...:P

HA! Nice to know I wasn't the only one thinking of Ceiling Cat during those sequences.

Great show - love the game, but those cutscenes are mur-der. Bravo!

"With Mike Patton as The Whiteness" "Meowwww"
This one was really awesome. Darkness reference was great.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here