The Escapist Show: Episode 18: Unreal Tournament III Titan Pack

Episode 18: Unreal Tournament III Titan Pack

This week, our interview with Steve Polge the man behind Unreal Tournament and the Lead Designer of the upcoming Titan Pack update for Unreal Tournament III, with exclusive in-game footage.

This week's musical guests:
Ian Dorsch - "The Escapist Show Theme"
Younnat - "Rotations"

Watch Video

Something's wrong with this...where's Russ getting bashed? :)

You missed the scene after where the statue fell on him.

Epic is actually trying to take care of the PC community...? There's something really wrong here...

Kross:
You missed the scene after where the statue fell on him.

And Crushed his head?

Great the update will be free. Thats a change from things

I don't know why you guys are so unhappy. UT has always had a good community and the dev's have been kind to it.

Seeing new content more than a year after release is great.

Is the "Titan Pack" for Xbox360 too?

Unreal was really my first FPS...loved it...looking for more!

McCa:
Is the "Titan Pack" for Xbox360 too?

For the time being no, Epic has said there was file size issues(among other things) keeping the Titan Pack from the 360.

I can't wait. Hopefully the Titan pack will breath new life into UT3.

the achievement thing you have done for the pc isnt new or amazing at all. valve has been doing achievements and tracking your progress in them since 2007 on the pc.

Valve fanboy alert! Danger! Danger! Poor grammar imminent!

Also, what's with the video quality dropping of late? I've noticed over the last few episodes that they're all a bit pixellated during playback. Have you guys dropped the quality when you convert it for upload? I know with all the awesome content you have, you need to keep quality lower than normal, but it doesn't look very nice. ;)

Have you considered offering an option for high quality video as well?

I really hope this brings some love back to ut3. I for one am a avid Unreal fan, did not like to see such a good game get the brush back to real life shooters like COD4 back in 07.

EPIC PLEASE HELP SUPPORT SOME TOURNAMENTS!!! We need more competition back in UT3 there are no active ladders/tournaments for this game for some time now. Hell I helped run one the best clan TDM tournaments the game has seen and frankly it was the last.

Even the 1on1 scene didnt take off with Stryfe and other players putting cash out of pocket to host tournaments to try and bring life to the scene.

I even tried like hell to get Intel's lan in Colorado to host a Ut3 1on1 when the game was still fresh. You would think a company that sponsors gamers for the game and helps sponsor the game it self would be hip to the idea.... NEVER HAPPENED.

Now time to brush up on my moving combos and hitscan skills. Hope the pubs have some life in them when this is released.

Epic has to be, without a doubt, one of the oddest companies I've ever seen. They're supporting a 2 year old game with new updates and expansions while a 2 month old game slowly dies from a neverending supply of glitches and slow title support.

I'd love to see a game developer actually try to be logical for once.

But that's no hit on The Escapist I suppose. Good video and good interview (although the interview was really bad quality)... I would love to have one those statues, lol. It probably wouldn't fit in my barracks room, but it could guard the hallway!

There are Zombies in Call of Duty.....

Yes there is which in my opinion is stupid...

And Darnafarn not on 360? file size issues yet you can download shivering isles? Why not put it out as free DLC?

KamikazeSailor:
Epic has to be, without a doubt, one of the oddest companies I've ever seen. They're supporting a 2 year old game with new updates and expansions while a 2 month old game slowly dies from a neverending supply of glitches and slow title support.

I'd love to see a game developer actually try to be logical for once.

Because Epic is faithful to the PC Gaming Master Race.

And probably because the people who made Gears aren't necessarily the peeps who made UNREAL TOURNMENT TWO THOUSAND FOUR.

Aries_Split:

And probably because the people who made Gears aren't necessarily the peeps who made UNREAL TOURNMENT TWO THOUSAND FOUR.

They aren't.

But the guy behind this Titan pack is not the guy behind UT3. Namely Jeff Morris who left Epic "on good terms" a few months ago which, of course, had absolutely nothing to do with the appauling performance of UT3.

I really don't understand Epic. This title sank way too fast and way too deep to be a realistically recoverable title. They certainly aren't going to make any more money out of it, maybe just boost the online population temporarily. If I was in their boots I probably would have tried to figure out what went wrong with UT3 and got started working on UT4 .

From the brief bits of U3 I've played on my campus, I still find myself preferring the classics. Saw on Steam for about $12 and have been debating on getting it, gonna need the engine and editor soon anyway.

UT3 is free on Steam for the weekend. Everyone go play it!

LoopyDood:
UT3 is free on Steam for the weekend. Everyone go play it!

More information, but if you are interested in trying the game this seems to be a good opportunity.

I don't see why people don't like UT3. It's a great game, runs absolutely flawlessly and well, it's fun? I think some people are just trying to be unnecessarily negative.

ryansnake:
I don't see why people don't like UT3. It's a great game, runs absolutely flawlessly and well, it's fun? I think some people are just trying to be unnecessarily negative.

You know, people have their own opinions.

ryansnake:

Because a lot of people felt UT2K4 was a better game. It had a LOT more content. Personally I felt UT3 was more refined than 2K4, it was definitely more balanced. I was a bit taken aback at the sheer amount of maps that came stock on 2K4.

ph3onix:

ryansnake:

You know, people have their own opinions.

Well then maybe those peoples' opinions don't make any sense to me. ;)

I did enjoy UT2K4 alot and this doesn't really seem any different to me, just better graphics. Hmph, Ionno, maybe I'm not that picky.

Ah, it'd be nice to see what came in the new pack, but since the "free weekend" for UT3, I've not been able to get more than 10MB of the entire content.

I do prefer UT2k4 though. Mainly a combination of weapon setups and the Assault gameplay mode. The maps for UT3 feel very cluttered, and the visual style makes it hard to determine enemy from some other environments.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here