Zero Punctuation: Spiderman: Web of Shadows

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I'd have to say he shifts somewhat between Chaotic Neutral, Neutral and Neutral Evil. Though on occasion he goes for Chaotic Evil, like when he talks about the reason his character and he are doing things in Saints Row 2.

[/nerd moment]

I remember a commercial on Comedy Central for this game that called it "the most anticipated game of the year."

Ha ha. Right.

Great review as always. The fat customer at the end was nasty, even for a stick figure.

You could have at least *tried* to get the questions wrong to shore up your cool credentials...

Enjoyable review as ever; I found the web-swinging of Ultimate Spiderman immense fun, it really is what Spiderman games should be about.

Yet another great review. I actually thought that this game could be good but, if you don't get anything special for swinging around the city (like the achievements) and the combat is shitty, well, there is little point in playing the game then.

Street fighters a button masher?
WTF, I MUST TELL THE GOVERNOR.

I need to shoot myself for saying this but there is one game I really want you to to make a video of. And that is ''Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard.''

great review, and a good choice of what to review i was just playing it.

I laughed at the "You nerds." comment right at the end.

Yahtzee has two very consistent aspects to his actions:
1.) He nearly always goes against trends (in other words, hates games most people like).
2.) He consistently posts a new review every week, on the same day.
So it is actually very tempting to think of him as true neutral.

Lithran:
Now all we need is a gun that's also a sword with chains with spikes on it...

Oh fuck me that would be badass... A gunblade but with a non-Final Fantasy-sized blade, and a sort of kusari-gama device on the other end. Imagine that, with Equilibrium-style fight choreography.

...Yeah generally speaking I'm not into this kind of ridiculous weapons wankery, but this is too cool in my head to let it slide. :D

He's chaotic neutral. FACT.
My Half-Orc om D&D is too xD

wow I like -completely- agree with any spiderman-bit said in the review

Great review, loved the mention of God Hand, though. Not enough people play that game.

Yeah.. Not every fighting game is soul calibur. If you're button mashing in Street Fighter 4, you're doing it wrong. And calling KZ2 Gears with space nazis? Just the mention of Gears, there is so many things wrong with that statement I don't know where to start. Although I do agree there are too many sequels being made. Sorry, just got a very sour impression from the opening.

Other than that, great review as always. Never expected spiderman, refreshing type of game to pick.

You did make an excellent point about the combat, the same exact thing in Spider-Man 2 when you got the spinning counter-manuver that can take down 3 thugs in a nanosecond and giving you enough time to perform a hero punch on the last guy standing while he's tied up in a web.

To everyone wishing this had been a Street Fighter IV review, a simple recipe:

1. Go back and re-watch the Soul Calibur review where Yahtzee admits to not liking the entire genre of fighting games.
2. Re-read all the forum posts whining that he shouldn't have reviewed the game because he "didn't understand it".

There, now you have the full experience of a ZP Street Fighter review without anyone having to go to any extra effort!

Parallel Streaks:
I love your brand of comedy, but can you PLEASE stop using the word "faggot", it's an offensive word and whilst used mostly in satire I still find the use to encourage the internet morons with their discrimination. While I know the whole "I'm not ignorant, I hate everyone" argument is good for a chuckle but frankly the previously mentioned word just succeeds in alienating your LGBT fans, and believe me, there's a lot of us.

I have to agree. I really, completely adore Zero Punctuation, and 99% of the swearing that comes with it, but that word has too many upsetting overtones/meanings/nuances of hate with it. There are lots of other more universal words you could have used that didn't target a social group which are more entertaining. If the word detracts from the message/entertainment with its shock value, then why use it? I couldn't see the satire value, or how it added to the piece in any way. It was just a really bad word for no reason. And the sad thing is that with the cultural homophobia that runs through the gamer community like an oil and tire fire, most people on this forum aren't going to speak out against it, even if it made them even a little uncomfortable, and it will just go into the mill of acceptance and be OK, making it even more OK to say that word in places gamers frequent and content gamers experience, spreading out the intolerance into an even stronger state. I'm personally a hypocrite because I'm not going to stop watching Zero Punctuation for it, but it made me sad today to the point that I at least needed to say something against the use of that word. Please Don't Use It. Please create your messages with more thought to using better, stronger words to get your ideas out. You have Great Messages! I love them. Just not paired with that word, or other words of where extreme hate overrides their other possible meanings. I was seriously disappointed today, because the whole rest of that review was utterly hilarious and reflected how my friends play Spiderman games Exactly.

I would have guessed House of the Dead Overkill

Edit:"Oh Lawdy I is sho gonna rape some white wimmin"
What the hell is wrong with him? First the podcast, now this?

"...and some quicktime events."
Also featured in this episodes comments: butthurt ethicfags.
Please cut yourself and weep.

Odd choice of game, Yahtzee. You said at the beginning that you wanted to talk about it, but having watched it twice I still have no idea why you wanted to talk about it. Still, it was entertaining as usual.

BRILLIANT ep...as always...

Good idea skipping Killzone 2. You probably dodged another Super Smash Bros.: brawl.

Not so funny its a good review though. Not his best but an okay vid. Hope he will make it up to us next week with something brilliant.

EchetusXe:

Parallel Streaks:
I love your brand of comedy, but can you PLEASE stop using the word "faggot", it's an offensive word and whilst used mostly in satire I still find the use to encourage the internet morons with their discrimination. While I know the whole "I'm not ignorant, I hate everyone" argument is good for a chuckle but frankly the previously mentioned word just succeeds in alienating your LGBT fans, and believe me, there's a lot of us.

lol, I have to say I was surprised when I heard the word crop up.

I don't know if its edgy or just lazy. Frankly I don't care, but I wouldn't have used the term myself.

Totally agree. I was having a really good laugh, and although I've seen a lot of his reviews, I've not seen them all so I've never heard 'faggot' crop up before. When I did today I was actually pretty taken aback as it was totally out of the blue and just not needed. It's the first time I've stopped watching before the end as I was trying to process: 'did I REALLY just hear him say that?!?'

For those that state 'faggot' has been reclaimed by gays and it's ok to use now, sorry to tell ya - it's not. The word 'nigger' may have been reclaimed by blacks, but you don't casually toss that word about - this is certainly no different.

It's one thing to be edgy, and that's great. It's quite another to be stupid.

SG Xibalba:

EchetusXe:

Parallel Streaks:

lol, I have to say I was surprised when I heard the word crop up.

I don't know if its edgy or just lazy. Frankly I don't care, but I wouldn't have used the term myself.

Totally agree. I was having a really good laugh, and although I've seen a lot of his reviews, I've not seen them all so I've never heard 'faggot' crop up before. When I did today I was actually pretty taken aback as it was totally out of the blue and just not needed. It's the first time I've stopped watching before the end as I was trying to process: 'did I REALLY just hear him say that?!?'

For those that state 'faggot' has been reclaimed by gays and it's ok to use now, sorry to tell ya - it's not. The word 'nigger' may have been reclaimed by blacks, but you don't casually toss that word about - this is certainly no different.

You don't, but that didn't stop him using the word 7 times on friday. And making a blackface joke today.

gigastrike:
Good idea skipping Killzone 2. You probably dodged another Super Smash Bros.: brawl.

No, he dodged another Call of Duty 4. Look what happened what he finally reviewed that game. He completely loathed it, he thought it was one of the worst games ever! [/sarcasm]

You see what I mean? I like Killzone 2 a LOT more than Call of Duty 4. In fact, I doubt I'll ever play COD4 again now that I have Killzone 2. Yahtzee pre-judged Killzone 2. He hasn't played it, yet he's passing judgement on it. I thought Yahtzee was above that, seriously. He should really review it.

That one made me laugh out loud.

Which...was a new experience to something that wasn't a single picture of a cat or dog in a funny situation (that usually involved people getting hurt).

I wonder if he's played ultimate spiderman. now that game was awesome sauce.

Oh wow, I didn't think I would find out about another person who loved spiderman 2. I hope you review Halo Wars next week.

I'm surprised Yahtzee said in this review that the only titles coming out at the moment have a number tacked to the end of them given that Empire Total War just came out. Sure, its a sequel, but no number and for the series some very interesting content to harangue. Additionally, I thought I heard Yahtzee say in one episode that historical accuracy was only the interest of British people and gay people ... wouldn't that mean he was doubly interested in this game? Guess he's just not that into strategies.

hell he made it sound like the game was all for web swinging an nothin else

that would be the best swiss army knife ever!!!

Yahtzee I know it sounds nice, but you can not be anything but Lawful Evil. Which means your a complete bastard about something, but you can't be called on it because your technically correct.

I ROFL'd at the blackface comment. And at the risk of dipping my toes in the sucking vortex of meaningless internet debate, I had no problem with either that or the use of the word 'faggot'. (yeah, I laughed at that too)

Yes, 'faggot' can be an offensive word. However, virtually any word can be made to offend someone. It seems to me that people are hell-bent on being hypersensitive and that it is completely wrong to try to try to eliminate any incident ever of using a word or an image that might offend someone. You'll spend the rest of your life trying to be 'politically correct' and to not hurt anyone else's feelings, and odds are, it will cripple your ability to communcate clearly and effectively for you to have to monitor yourself so closely.

This is not to say that continuous use (ergo abuse) of such a word should be tolerated, but as another poster pointed out, I don't recall Yahtzee using it before; therefore, I would argue that if you're really offended by this incident, you're either a) hypersensitive to the word (which is really not Yahtzee's problem), or b) not really a fan of ZP (again, really not Yahtzee's problem) since you are intimating that your enjoyment of the material as a whole is somehow ruined by that one, single word.

You know, if you really are offended, hey, that's your right. Feel free to react by not watching anymore. But considering the rather ironic fact that you made no mention of being offended by the racial slur, I think just maybe you are being a little oversensitive here and are not really concerned with politeness or proper behavior so much as not being offended yourself.

Kinda what I was expecting Spiderman: Web of Shadows to be like. In fact thats the reason I have avoided all Spiderman games since Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage for the Genisis... except now it looks like I have to check out Spiderman 2 The Movie the game, lol.

I loved the "you nerds" at the end as well as the quiz show part. That was hilarious. Also, now we know why Yahtzee likes that other Spiderman game (I had pondered it awhile back when I saw the blurred out my favorite games list).

Yahtzee is arguably chaotic good. He is a total d-bag but he does it in the interest of saving gamers money on bad games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here