Five Actors Who Should Play Gordon Freeman in A Half-Life Movie

Five Actors Who Should Play Gordon Freeman in A Half-Life Movie

Were a Half-Life 3 movie to be made, who should play Gordon Freeman?

Read Full Article

Eh, pick any guy at least 6'0", brown hair and eyes and can grow a beard. It's not like he'll need to speak or have a personality anyways.

Edward Norton could do it, I think. As for the other choices, I can only hope that you are sufficiently disgusted with yourselves for even going to those places, gentlemen. For shame!

Anyway, you're tardy to the pardy:

Clearly it should be Ben Affleck ;)

Obviously it should be Robert Costanzo or Danny DeVito. Or both, alternating between scenes; I doubt anybody would notice.

P.S. Thanks

I haven't even read the article, but I'm willing to bet they are all wrong. The only way to do a Half-Life movie correctly is to do it like one of those filmed documentary movies (Blair Witch, Cloverfield, etc), where Freeman is the camera. And he needs to be a mute.

:P

Ok here are my picks.... No one, no one, no one, no one, and no one. There is no good movie to be made from this franchise... only despair. What scene is possibly something you'd like to see in a movie? Gordon Freeman says nothing through out the games so much so that it feels like a little bit of a joke sometimes and I personally love that. If there is an actor interested in playing a mute scientist with no lines as a weird story happens at him? then maybe, but do we need Edward Norton for that?

Surprised Hugh Laurie didn't make the list. He's tall, he's a great actor...and though a little older, he totally looks the part.

Ross Scott, the only guy in the world that could make Gordon Freeman talking sound right, and he could even look like him with a shave and a haircut.

immortalfrieza:
Ross Scott, the only guy in the world that could make Gordon Freeman talking sound right, and he could even look like him with a shave and a haircut.

I agree, he should definitely be considered first. Though what he needs isn't a shave, he specifically needs the facial hair for it.

Gordon isn't an action hero, he's a doctor in theoretical physics who hardly uses that title, so who better to play him than not an actor, but a voice talent for a role of a man who never speaks.

I know the list is only for actors specifically, but Ross is a shoo-in.

Bleugh... Why on Earth (and/or Xen) would you WANT to make a Half-Life movie? A movie of the events of Half-Life, sure, but Gordon Freeman, having no expressed traits or personality, hardly even qualifies as a "character". My first thought is to tell Eli Vance's story, but then you end up losing most of what Gordon saw and did. The only way to make it work, short of shoehorning in another character, would be to make him mute. I find it amusing that whoever wrote this piece seems to think that's impossible; apparently Akkad's "The Message" was just something I hallucinated. Yes, that movie was a very different experience than the modern CGI explodapalooza that a Half-Life movie would likely be, but c'mon, you've gotta take your risks somewhere.

I'm going to just assume we're willing to overlook how terrible of an idea a Half-Life movie would be, and point out the only logical choice would be Bryan Cranston. We've already established he can play the science nerd/ badass killer. Why even consider anyone else?

Senneca:
I'm going to just assume we're willing to overlook how terrible of an idea a Half-Life movie would be, and point out the only logical choice would be Bryan Cranston. We've already established he can play the science nerd/ badass killer. Why even consider anyone else?

I was just about to bemoan the lack of Bryan Cranston love, well done sir!

Seriously there'd be barely any makeup work needed with Bryan Cranston, I mean ok he may be a little too old but fuck it.

I don't know if it's because of the name but JGL was in my mind as I clicked on the list. Norton and Isaac are good contenders too. Hartnett and Bell, pass.

are you kidding me???? seriously??

Bryan Cranston. /thread

don't believe me? just wait for the guy to post who's avatar is that orangey half-life logo, you'll see it too.

on the flip side, if the movie version is a silent as the game version, that would be a huge waste of potential.

Ted Nugent? I mean, the movie's going to be at least 90% shooting stuff up so at least he'd enjoy it.

immortalfrieza:

This guy.

COMaestro:
I haven't even read the article, but I'm willing to bet they are all wrong. The only way to do a Half-Life movie correctly is to do it like one of those filmed documentary movies (Blair Witch, Cloverfield, etc), where Freeman is the camera. And he needs to be a mute.

:P

Or this. Or something like this.

I always imagined (if it HAD to be done, which I really think it SHOULDN'T) a HL movie working well with Gordon being a mute. But his lack of dialogue would have to be worked in more cleverly than him just being silent. The character must be visually expressive but every time he goes to speak the audience won't hear him. Either he's drowned out by environmental noise (Black Mesa trams, explosions, etc) or someone cuts him off (in keeping with the awkward and often outright rude behaviour of a lot of the NPCs in the original). Early in the movie/story this can be played for laughs, but later on things would be too much of a panic for him to bother speaking. Gordon isn't a character who lends himself to cheesy one-liners anyway, so grim silent determination with some expressive sound fits the bill in my opinion.

I like Jamie Bell. Best choice offered.

I think both Brian Cranston and Hugh Laurie a bit long of tooth for the role.

Senneca:
...the only logical choice would be Bryan Cranston.

And here I was thinking I was going to be the first to suggest that, but turns out the thread is starting to fill up with people who all have the same idea.

immortalfrieza:

Funny you should mention that...
15 seconds in.

But yeah, Ross Scott for a Half-Life comedy movie. That would work.

I think the only way it would work is if the movie told a story tangential to the HL story and Gordon is only referred to and seen in images.

We know from 500 Days of Summer that he can navigate the clunkiest of verbose Kevin Smith-style dialogue, and we know from Looper that he is perfectly believable as a stoic killing machine.

Yeah, because Freeman is known for his verbostiy.

I can't tell if this article is deliberately stupid for laughs or just plain unintentially stupid.

Always thought Ethan Hawk would be a decent candidate.

I was so shocked not to see bryan cranstan as that was the first person I thought of. I see many others have mentioned that already, but man, it seems like that part was MADE for him.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here