The Escapist's Best Games of 2015

The Escapist's Best Games of 2015

There were a lot of good games that came out in 2015. Narrowing down the list was an interesting task, but we did it. Check out our nominees.

Read Full Article

That feeling when everyone and their dog says Bloodborne is GoTY but you can't play it because you don't own a PS4.
Not only that, but because you already own and pay for a yearly subscription for the Xbox One ... you can't afford it. The feels are real.

OT: Merry Christmas!

Also Undertale is not my GoTY overall (that goes to League of Legends) but it is my GoTY in story telling / narration. It's probably a game I will never forget for years to come, and it's more impacting than 80% of the big AAA games out there when this game only costs $10 lol. Man what a twist.

Ugh Undertale I find that game ridiculously saccharine and overly prententious.

And before anyway bashes me I watched the Noah Antwiler's aka The Spoony One's Stream of the game and its just meh.

And I bothered to watch the bad ending and it was increadibly corny and breaking of the 4th wall because its hip.

Samtemdo8:

And before anyway bashes me I watched the Noah Antwiler's aka The Spoony One's Stream of the game and its just meh.

And I bothered to watch the bad ending and it was increadibly corny and breaking of the 4th wall because its hip.

Seriously, it's not that big of a deal.

OT: Pretty decent list we got this year. I need to remember to actually play my copy of Witcher 3

Damn fine list.

Man, Splatoon and Undertale managed to do something to me that no other games beside Smash have been able to do for years, maybe even a straight decade: they truly made me feel like a little kid again. Going back to that time when I was like 12, when I was deeply and earnestly (almost unhealthily) captivated by video games. I haven't been able to get the two off my mind since I've played them, and my face lights up at the mere mention of them. Really good stuff.

I still need to get around to Bloodborn and Skylines. Especially Skylines. That game, from what I've seen is one of the better examples of a game developed by those with a pure, unbridled love for the craft and their fans. You can practically see it radiating out of the damn thing.

Samtemdo8:

You beat me to the punch, I share the same opinion. I watched playthroughs, looked at art and listened to the OST in my spare time and there's just something about it that I can't seem to like. I think it's the character designs or maybe I just feel like OFF did everything better; they're almost the same game when you get down to the bare bones. Good OST, quirky, lovable cast, fourth wall jokes, 8-bit graphics and an underlying unease throughout the game that maybe not everything is as it seems.

OFF is free though and IMO the much more entertaining game and Undertale just seems like OFF with some extra stuff that somehow makes it worth ten bucks.

OT: ....Just occurred to me that I haven't played ANY of the games on that list because I don't have a next-gen console and while I own Undertale, I haven't played it for reasons stated above. So, uhm, er... Uh GOTY goes to, er... Taaaaales from the Borderlands! Yeah, that's it! And, uh.... Iinnnnnsssert some other game that came out this year that I played as a runner up! OH King's Quest 2015!

Yeah? Yeah? ...No? Well.... not all of us can afford next gen shit so.

I'm still missing out on a few of these, but of the ones I have played, Bloodborne, Rocket League and Undertale are it for me.

Pretty solid list, though I find your lack of Xenoblade Chronicles X, disturbing.

Wait, Starcraft made the cut? Seriously?! Over Rock League?

Silentpony:
Wait, Starcraft made the cut? Seriously?! Over Rock League?

Splatoon should be replaced by Rock League not Starcraft 2.

Spider RedNight:

Samtemdo8:

You beat me to the punch, I share the same opinion. I watched playthroughs, looked at art and listened to the OST in my spare time and there's just something about it that I can't seem to like. I think it's the character designs or maybe I just feel like OFF did everything better; they're almost the same game when you get down to the bare bones. Good OST, quirky, lovable cast, fourth wall jokes, 8-bit graphics and an underlying unease throughout the game that maybe not everything is as it seems.

OFF is free though and IMO the much more entertaining game and Undertale just seems like OFF with some extra stuff that somehow makes it worth ten bucks.

OT: ....Just occurred to me that I haven't played ANY of the games on that list because I don't have a next-gen console and while I own Undertale, I haven't played it for reasons stated above. So, uhm, er... Uh GOTY goes to, er... Taaaaales from the Borderlands! Yeah, that's it! And, uh.... Iinnnnnsssert some other game that came out this year that I played as a runner up! OH King's Quest 2015!

Yeah? Yeah? ...No? Well.... not all of us can afford next gen shit so.

Out of curiosity, could you expand on the similarities you see between OFF and Undertale? Not trying to attack you for having a different opinion, I just honestly don't find many similarities between them. I actually didn't really care for OFF - It seemed... art house-y, if you know what I mean.

Top games of 2015, brought to you by Bethesda and CDProjekt.

If you don't like fighting games, you're out of luck. People who raise their eyebrows at our continuous attempts to establish games as art must be laughing right now.

Decent list, though Legacy of the Void is the only one I've played off it. Glad to see it here.

In the realm of "why is x not on the list, insert rant here," my personal contributions would be Heroes of the Storm (yes, laugh it up) and although I've only seen playthroughs, I'd personally nominate Tales from the Borderlands.

Hmmmmmm... 3 have me interested. Witcher 3. On it. Metal Gear. Doh. I bought but have not really even gotten into the last 2 console versions. Splatoon... My nephew loves it. I should play just to have some online time with him and my brother in law.

Caramel Frappe:
League of Legends) .

Fine. You got me. Giving it a try. Dooooh I usually hate stuff like this.

Gorfias:

Caramel Frappe:
(League of Legends).

Fine. You got me. Giving it a try. Dooooh I usually hate stuff like this.

Let me know if you want to hook up. I'm on the North Server, with the username CaramelxFrappe. I would be more than happy to help you learn the basics, train with you, and much more :) all because I like seeing people get into the game i'm so passionate about.

Also you can check out their latest news at the official website. They're really friendly with the community, but I can't honestly say the community is ... that friendly to Riot or other people (then again being one of the biggest MOBAs with over 15 million players, you are going to get toxic people). http://na.leagueoflegends.com/

Good news is that the game's free, so no real loss at all if you quit :p

I take page 3 of this article please! All four games there are great!
And I admit, I can't say anything about the other, because I played none of them! And sorry, I don't care!

But for these "League Of Legends" people here: How can a game released in 2009 be your GotY? It's custom that you select a GotY from the current year! SC2 also only is "allowed" (IMHO) on this list, because of the expansion and that they basically overhauled the whole game.

hmm. there weren't many good games this year.. just a few.. and the only game on the list that I've played was mortal Kombat X.. and it was just ok.. the only good games this year were Batman Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, and as a honorary mention, the surprisingly fun in short bursts, unapologeticly perverted hack and slash Onechanbara Z2: Chaos

Caramel Frappe:

Let me know if you want to hook up. I'm on the North Server, with the username CaramelxFrappe.

I'm Gorfias. I did a game just now. Not certain what the overall goal was, but it was fun. Reminds me a little of Torchlight.

erttheking:

Samtemdo8:

Seriously, it's not that big of a deal.

OT: Pretty decent list we got this year. I need to remember to actually play my copy of Witcher 3

Same here. I loved the sound track and the 4th wall breaks were cool, but it wasn't GOTY good IMO. Saying otherwise in some places almost feels like I'm gonna get lynched. (Not here though it seems).
As for the best of the year, while I was buried in a lot of old games, I must say I loved Splatoon. I hope Nintendo try more new stuff.

Geisterkarle:
I take page 3 of this article please! All four games there are great!
And I admit, I can't say anything about the other, because I played none of them! And sorry, I don't care!

But for these "League Of Legends" people here: How can a game released in 2009 be your GotY? It's custom that you select a GotY from the current year! SC2 also only is "allowed" (IMHO) on this list, because of the expansion and that they basically overhauled the whole game.

It almost needs to be blacklisted since it's basically owned by TenCent now, and those guys do dodgy stuff (apart from LoL being sold with PandoBooster in it- a bot net- TenCent is famous for modifying games from outside China, selling them in China, then claiming it was the foreigners who stole their work.)

ChaoGuy2006:
Same here. I loved the sound track and the 4th wall breaks were cool, but it wasn't GOTY good IMO. Saying otherwise in some places almost feels like I'm gonna get lynched. (Not here though it seems).

It's because for as uppity as this site can be sometimes, we're generally pretty cordial... in both ways.

There are certain fans out there that will tear you apart for even passively talking bad about Undertale. Conversely, from my experience at least (with stuff like MLP, Smash Bros Brawl or certain anime), the only reason they tend to do that is to act as a pre-emptive strike, since people tend to be dicks when they're sick of hearing about something they don't care about all over the place. Said people get exasperated being forced to pay attention to this particular thing or hearing it being praised too much when they feel it doesn't deserve it, so they tend to give off a embittered and confrontational tone when they talk about it, be it intentionally or unintentionally. Then fans lash out in defense and will eventually start yelling at everybody if pushed long enough.

Escapist are full of people that are pretty hard to please, but they'll usually articulate their unpopular opinions in a way that doesn't make you want to punch them in the face with their own dismembered fist.

...Usually.

No Hotline Miami 2? Disappointed.
Still, 2015 was a good year. Better than 2014 that's for sure.

Samtemdo8:

You would more likely to be bashed for watching it instead of playing it. But your comment made me wonder something: if being hip is a bad reason to break the 4th wall, what would be a good reason?

CaitSeith:

Samtemdo8:

You would more likely to be bashed for watching it instead of playing it. But your comment made me wonder something: if being hip is a bad reason to break the 4th wall, what would be a good reason?

Bad if it was the central plot because I saw the bad ending of the game and it feels like it came out of a Creepypasta.

Good examples would be Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem and how it handles its Sanity system. But the characters do not reference the 4th wall.

And I just dislike these kinds of Indie games regardless. I prefer indie games like Oddalus the Dark Call and Pillers of Eternity.

And Totalbiscuit voted for Undertale as his 1# Game of the Year over Witcher 3.

Sigh

Do you really want to know why I dislike this game, its because of what it represents to me.

This indie game is the kind of indie game someone like Phil Fish or Johnathan Blow would make.

Some hipster prententious "Avent-Garde" Artsy Developer that tries to subvert the conventions of gamer's retro childhood.

And just hate HATE games like this that tries to be so different and artsy with out any compelling gameplay to back it up. The combat of avoiding damage is just a glorifyed Geometry Wars.

And of course to annoy me even further the internet is going to be flooded with so many references to this game that it is going to mentally taunt me. Its like to me looking at Undertale imagry makes me feel like this "Ha ha you never played Undertale, you eat AAA filth you pleb"

Undertale is going to be forgotten in the years to come along side so many flavor of the month Indie Games. It happened with Braid, it will happen with this. That's what Undertale is to me this years Braid.

Rant over.

Samtemdo8:

Sigh

Do you really want to know why I dislike this game, its because of what it represents to me.

This indie game is the kind of indie game someone like Phil Fish or Johnathan Blow would make.

Some hipster prententious "Avent-Garde" Artsy Developer that tries to subvert the conventions of gamer's retro childhood.

And just hate HATE games like this that tries to be so different and artsy with out any compelling gameplay to back it up. The combat of avoiding damage is just a glorifyed Geometry Wars.

And of course to annoy me even further the internet is going to be flooded with so many references to this game that it is going to mentally taunt me. Its like to me looking at Undertale imagry makes me feel like this "Ha ha you never played Undertale, you eat AAA filth you pleb"

Undertale is going to be forgotten in the years to come along side so many flavor of the month Indie Games. It happened with Braid, it will happen with this. That's what Undertale is to me this years Braid.

Rant over.

C'mon, man, it's seriously not that big a deal. It's a little bit on the disappointing side to see that your distaste for the game and its style extends so far that not only are you refusing its merits (which would be fine, I suppose. I'm not a big Dark Souls guy and can't seem to see the appeal no matter how hard I try), but you're unintentially imposing a motive/nature on the creator and its fans. What's the worst is that it's exhibiting that type of behavior that I've always found unfortunate... even childish, this righteous annoyance over many enjoying something simply because you can't see what makes it all that special.

Just let it run its course if you think it's as fleeting as it is. The only thing its popularity represents is that people will flock to a piece of entertainment as long as it nails an aspect of itself in an interesting way and personally, aside from a pratfall of one of the characters' motives, UT nails its storytelling, personalities and accomplishes moral choice gaming in a way that many games have attempted, and all but, maybe 2 in my memory have fallen flat on their faces at.

I don't wanna be confrontational, it's just that your posts kinda went from unpopular, but fair opinion to serious bone to pick born only of your taste and nothing else.

Samtemdo8:

TotalBiscuit chose Undertale over Witcher 3 because he didn't PLAY Witcher 3.

OT: Since I finally got a Wii U, I have a LOT of Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles to catch up on. But, as of right now... Xenoblade Chronicles X followed very closely by Undertale, then Bloodborne. I adore this game right now, and even though I lost almost 19 hours of progress in my last save file because I can't transfer game data between Wii U's, I am still playing it and loving it.

Ryallen:

Samtemdo8:

OT: Since I finally got a Wii U, I have a LOT of Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles to catch up on. But, as of right now... Xenoblade Chronicles X followed very closely by Undertale, then Bloodborne. I adore this game right now, and even though I lost almost 19 hours of progress in my last save file because I can't transfer game data between Wii U's, I am still playing it and loving it.

Since you got a Wii-U may I suggest you get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. 3rd generation is my fav generation of Monster Hunter.

Samtemdo8:

Ryallen:

Samtemdo8:

Since you got a Wii-U may I suggest you get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. 3rd generation is my fav generation of Monster Hunter.

I got it for 3DS, and I also have Monster Hunter 4 for 3DS as well.

Ryallen:

Samtemdo8:

In reality, it shared the 1st place with Overwatch in his list.

Ryallen:

Samtemdo8:

Ryallen:

But obviously the Wii-U version is superior. Higher Framerate, Better resolution, and objectively better controller?

(Does it use a Normal Controller not only the Wii-U gamepad?)

Samtemdo8:

Ryallen:

Samtemdo8:

But obviously the Wii-U version is superior. Higher Framerate, Better resolution, and objectively better controller?

(Does it use a Normal Controller not only the Wii-U gamepad?)

I don't know if it does. I play on the New 3DS, which has 60 FPS, I don't care about the resolution, and the 3DS controller is fine the way it is, given the lock on does about 90% of the work for me.

If you had told me that I would not only enjoy, but be praising another Ubisoft game after the absolute travesty of a launch that Unity had not only a week after it happened, I would have told you that you were off your rocker. I'm not British, but I still would have said it I'm not sure what prompted me to purchase Far Cry 4, perhaps it was how disappointed I was in the technical problems of Unity, or just being starved for a new game (The last new game I purchased was Advanced Warfare, and that one doesn't count because you sneeze and the campaign is over, so before that was Shadow of Mordor), but I decided to sell Unity to fund this buy. Ironic, right? Sell one Ubisoft Montreal game to buy another? Well, I can confirm that it was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. Without further ado, let's get to it! (Just as the last disclaimer, as with all of my reviews, this is a first impressions and I will be listing my pros and cons, then do a final wrap up. I will include more information and update the review as I continue to play the game)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here