Just What Is The Genre Killer?

Just What Is The Genre Killer?

Happy New Year, my dear readers. Now, it's time to start 2016 by talking about how video games are dying... well, some of them, at least.

Read Full Article

I'm going to have to disagree here, I think we are looking at the industry in its mature form. Rising production costs haven't killed off the blockbuster movie anymore than it will kill off AAA.

Gaming has the benefit of falling real terms prices and increasing consumers. Hardware and software price point have stayed the same while inflation has cut the real terms cost, meaning there are more people that can afford to buy hardware and games now than 25 years ago. If you go back to the games crash of the 80s sales where limited to western Europe, North America and Japan. Due to the political and economic changes since then there are literally 100s of millions more people that can afford to game. The AAA industry isn't in danger anymore than the blockbuster movie. Some franchise might go into abeyance for a while, but like movies, someone will do a reboot or sequel sooner or later.

albino boo:
I'm going to have to disagree here, I think we are looking at the industry in its mature form. Rising production costs haven't killed off the blockbuster movie anymore than it will kill off AAA.

Gaming has the benefit of falling real terms prices and increasing consumers. Hardware and software price point have stayed the same while inflation has cut the real terms cost, meaning there are more people that can afford to buy hardware and games now than 25 years ago. If you go back to the games crash of the 80s sales where limited to western Europe, North America and Japan. Due to the political and economic changes since then there are literally 100s of millions more people that can afford to game. The AAA industry isn't in danger anymore than the blockbuster movie. Some franchise might go into abeyance for a while, but like movies, someone will do a reboot or sequel sooner or later.

While I agree with your assessment absolutely, I also have to note that there still may be a "crash" of sorts coming. Not a financial one but more the product of bloat. EA, for example, is a prime candidate for this. The larger the company swells, the more likely it is to fail at some point and quite a few of the larger conglomerate-type publishers are on that track.

More likely the industry will change sooner than later, and these larger than life type publishers may just start to fail, or at least severely cut back their sizes. Like the recording industry, independent folks are becoming more and more able to produce their own works and get them out with relatively tiny budgets (Five Nights at Freddies for example). Its not walled off by huge budgets any longer, you don't need the machine to drive your budget (crowdfunding)... Publishers aren't going to go away, neither is the AAA market but the shift from dominance is coming and I'm sure more than a few large scale pubs are not going to make it intact.

"for years any RPG was judged on whether it could be a "Diablo-killer."

I can vouch for that! It was insane how long the games magazines (and everyone else, since this was still pretty much pre-Internet era) kept coming back to that. And let me tell you something; the game was just THAT good!!!
Blizzard proves it really pays off to take your time, instead of rushing to meet some holiday deadline.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here