The Revenant - DiCaprio Endures Torture for 2.5 Hours

The Revenant - DiCaprio Endures Torture for 2.5 Hours

The Revenant is likely to go down as one of the toughest and most grueling filmmaking experiences in history. Was it all worth it?

Read Full Article

Really desperate to see this, but it's rough trying to find people who are into this werner herzog, black robe kinda film. Think I'm just gonna go later today. As stated if you've lived in the harsher parts of the northwest NA it really helps you sink into this. I lived in Montana and worked in Wyoming for about 4 years and even today there's periods where travel is not happening without a snow mobile. I think on average 3-10 people die in Montana every year from from exposure. Even in the trailers you could really feel the cold.

It never felt like it dragged on for me. It was great all the way through.

Kenbo Slice:
It never felt like it dragged on for me. It was great all the way through.

I agree, it's difficult for me to imagine how one can get bored.

I would've made the one or two irritating plot inconsistencies my prime grievance:

Another Inarritu movie where the technical details and the creation are more interesting than the movie itself?

Colour me surprised.

I will give props to Leo, which is almost obligatory now given how fantastic his track record is, but I don't think this will be the movie to net him an Oscar. Maybe next year, since this is far too Oscar unfriendly.

Saw this two days ago. I will say that the film does drag on at times, and its slow pace definately won't be for everyone. But I loved it - it looks beautiful, the storytelling and cinematography is excellent (e.g. uses a lot of long cuts for certain scenes, and there's many cases where dialogue is minimal), and the themes compliment the plot - the idea that savagery is the true nature of the world, and that we (humans, animals, everyone), is caught up in a cycle of violence that can never be escaped from.

Least that was my interpretation. But like I said, good film to watch. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in my top 10 this year.

I am most likely go see this especially when I'm pissed that my local cinema ain't showing The Hateful Eight

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/the-hateful-eight-wont-be-screened-at-three-major-uk-cinema-chains-a6797216.html

Imagine a live broadcast of the academy awards.

Warm lights, flowing though the red cloth. In the distance we hear the clicking of photographers and see the flashes of the camera.

The front row is silent.

Nominees for best actors are chatting and paying attention to the stage. Tom Hardy, John Boyema dressed in fancy tuxedos, next to them - DeCaprio. His face is smeared in dirt and he is wearing nothing but bear hide and uprooted grass. His eyes blank - staring in to void. The void, though, refuses to stare back.

The annoucer walks in to the stagelights with an envelope. The public holds their breath.

-And the best actor award goes to....

-Tom Hardy, for his role in the Reverant!

The audience erupts in to cheers and clapping. Leo, his face cold and distand, stands up. Each foot sinking in to the carpet. The actor loses balance and his body, like an oak struck by lightning, hits the floor. He cannot hear neither the laughs of the judges, nor the sounds of the ambulance in the distance. He closes his eyes. And lets the darkness consume him.

Scarim Coral:
I am most likely go see this especially when I'm pissed that my local cinema ain't showing The Hateful Eight

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/the-hateful-eight-wont-be-screened-at-three-major-uk-cinema-chains-a6797216.html

Depending on your perspective you aren't missing much. I saw it last night. I enjoyed it but it wasn't anything justifying a trip to the movies. As a movie it was good not great. If you're huge a modern quentino fan it was great I suppose. Like a lot of Tarantinos recent work there were a couple scenes that break the forth wall, go on way too long, are really out of place and are incredibly immature. I won't spoil it. Again, its good but Quentin's lamentable desperation to shock you drops it down a point or two. That I wasn't bored by the 2+ hour mark was impressive I'll admit(still love you for Reservoir dogs Quentin.). It's a very sweet homage to "The thing" with some very impressive acting, thats about it.

Honestly I thought it was disappointing.
I know jack shit about the source material it's just that what happens in the movie never lets me suspend my disbelief.

Sorry that movie did nothing for me.

"The Revenant is DiCaprio's latest role, here starring as Hugh Glass"

I can't be the only person who heard this in their head as "huge ass".

Marter:
The Revenant is likely to go down as one of the toughest and most grueling filmmaking experiences in history. Was it all worth it?

Think I spotted a typo in your Bottom Line:

Bottom Line: An impressive technically technical accomplishment but not the most engaging story, The Revenant is a film to admire, but not necessarily one to love.

I'm guessing that's what you were going for. :P

OT: I can't place my finger on it, but there's just something about Leo that I really can't stand. Add to it the fact that this movie might as well come with "Oscar Bait" written beneath The Revenant on the poster and you've got a movie that I really have no desire to see whatsoever.

RJ 17:

OT: I can't place my finger on it, but there's just something about Leo that I really can't stand.

Really? He's one of my favorite actors. I don't follow films much, though, didn't even know of the existence of this one until just now.

As with most movies, I'll probably end up catching it after it has a home release. I don't really have anyone to go to the theater with anymore anyway.

shrekfan246:

RJ 17:

OT: I can't place my finger on it, but there's just something about Leo that I really can't stand.

Really? He's one of my favorite actors. I don't follow films much, though, didn't even know of the existence of this one until just now.

Yep. Like I said, I really can't put my finger on it. I fully acknowledge that he is, indeed, a good actor...but for whatever reason I don't like him or the movies he's been in. :P

Ishigami:
Honestly I thought it was disappointing.
I know jack shit about the source material it?s just that what happens in the movie never lets me suspend my disbelief.

Sorry that movie did nothing for me.

Your qualms prove you didn't pay attention, that's on you not the movie.

Overall a really good movie but it is long and it doesn't pull any punches, I'd say see it if you think you can deal with how intense it is.

In case anyone cares, there's a movie out of the 70s called Man in the Wilderness based on this same story. It's decent, you can check it out.

I wouldn't exactly say that I was impatient for it to end, but more that I found the experience as a whole exhausting. I kept thinking Leo's suffering would end at some point, and the film would kind of switch gears. But it just kept going on and on, and then getting worse when you don't expect it. And since it all looks so real (helped by the fact that in many regards, it was) and you can really see the pain in Leo's face, that just made it even harder to watch. I don't regret watching it, especially in the cinema for the visual spectacle of the landscape, but it wasn't easy for me.

Also, that was an actual horse's carcass!? Fuckin' hell, that's pretty hardcore, even for this movie.

Sarge034:
Your qualms prove you didn't pay attention, that's on you not the movie.

No.

Sarge034:
I could rebut them all but

you wont... and can't.

Level 7 Dragon:
snip

I like to think, in the scene where he's reaching for his dead wife, that Leo thought he was reaching out for an Oscar that was just a few feet beyond his grasp. Then it turned into a rock or something. The man ate a raw liver, what on earth does the academy want from him? Maybe this all some elaborate experiment to see what they can get Leo to do. Like when you dare a friend to eat a bug in grade school.

OT: This was phenomenal, especially with the actors. Tom Hardy in particular. It was slow, but I was always interested in what was happening on screen. The cinematography was excellent as well. My only complaint is that the plotline with the native americans was a little all over the place, and should have been either cut, or developed more.

It was a longer, less good version of The Grey.
Still enjoyable though.

piscian:
Really desperate to see this, but it's rough trying to find people who are into this werner herzog, black robe kinda film. Think I'm just gonna go later today. As stated if you've lived in the harsher parts of the northwest NA it really helps you sink into this. I lived in Montana and worked in Wyoming for about 4 years and even today there's periods where travel is not happening without a snow mobile. I think on average 3-10 people die in Montana every year from from exposure. Even in the trailers you could really feel the cold.

For me it's the run time that keeps me away. The subject is fine with the whole graphic survival / revenge story in a "nature is scary" setting, just at 2h 40m run time without including the previews, that would be one heck of a grindfest. Albeit, I've heard great things from those who did go see it outside of the fact the movie didn't really support the hype surrounding it.

Colt47:

piscian:

For me it's the run time that keeps me away. The subject is fine with the whole graphic survival / revenge story in a "nature is scary" setting, just at 2h 40m run time without including the previews, that would be one heck of a grindfest. Albeit, I've heard great things from those who did go see it outside of the fact the movie didn't really support the hype surrounding it.

Havent seen it yet so I couldn't tell you. I did go see Hateful 8 this week and while I've decided I didn't like it, I didn't get bored at any point in its 3 hour span. Hateful 8 is told in a series of chapters with their own sub stories and climaxes and such. I think that's the key to not making these boring and I am easily bored when I have to sit in a chair for 3 hours. I think you have to invest the audience in small stories that take place with in the greater narrative. Idk I'm really gonna try and see revenant this week. I will try to report back.

It's amazing how gorgeous he makes the generic countryside of my province. Seriously, a lot of our landscapes are pretty boring unless you're in the Rockies or the badlands.

I prefer to call this movie "Can DiCaprio Have His Oscar Now?" Seriously, he was fantastic in this movie.

I wish I had bought a larger bag of popcorn. That said, I got totally lost in the cinematography and I think its a good thing to indulge in a slower paced movie every once and awhile. The only thing that bothered me in the film was the use of the pistols. They didn't reload that fast dammit. <.<

Thomas Barnsley:
I would've made the one or two irritating plot inconsistencies my prime grievance:

I have an interest in history so the politics of how the different factions on the continent during the time are of interest to me. I think the characters followed the most reasonable course of action considering their circumstances.

Well, the ones with honour anyway. <.<

The grounding of the politics at play even if the details aren't 100% accurate is what kept me in the movie.

Ishigami:
you wont... and can't.

Wow! Can you read everyone's mind or just mine? Quite some hubris you have there to assume to know that I can't explain everything rationally and state it as fact.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here