What The Division Can Learn From Destiny

What The Division Can Learn From Destiny

The Division may be the next big thing, but it needs to learn from Destiny's mistakes.

Read Full Article

I didn't see enough in the first Beta to say that it will not fail the same way Destiny did for me. The mission variety was lacking and the story didn't make much sense, although this could be just a glimpse of the full story in the game.

The fact that this isn't a science fiction fantasy but rather based in real world NY also is very challenging and I was put off by the RPG elements that I usually love. It may make sense due to futuristic armor and shields in Destiny to have bullet sponges and such, but when a goon in a leather jacker is standing right in front of me and I have to shoot him in the unarmored head 10 times to kill him my worldbuilding is shattered. Also, it just simply wasn't interactive enough. Why can't you drive cars or trucks that are all over the place? Why is nearly every building locked down? Why do civilians always have the same 3 reactions?

The Dark Zone suffered these same issues and just reminded me of a more locked down GTA Online. They've made griefing a primary game mechanic and people are excited about it! I would much rather them have some Heist-like content to tackle other NPCs or players than simply loot stealing. Is anyone honestly excited about grinding for an hour only to have your hard earned loot literally stolen at the last second?

Rommel102:
The Dark Zone suffered these same issues and just reminded me of a more locked down GTA Online. They've made griefing a primary game mechanic and people are excited about it!

Calling it simply that is disingenuous. "Griefing" is allowed, but anyone who attempts to goes Rogue and there are punishments that follow. You're basically marked for death through the whole zone and you lose rank and money when you are killed.

I would much rather them have some Heist-like content to tackle other NPCs or players than simply loot stealing. Is anyone honestly excited about grinding for an hour only to have your hard earned loot literally stolen at the last second?

You can actually do just that and ignore the Dark Zone completely. We don't really know what the full endgame plans are. If theoretically there is content along the lines of Heists or Raids, you can just do that without bothering with the Dark Zones.

Based on my beta experience, I'd also say it's a huge exaggeration to say you'd be "grinding for an hour" to get loot. My DZ loot bag could easily be full and extracted within 5-10 minutes of entering the Dark Zone. Not only that, but the Checkpoint vendors sold better equipment than what drops most of the time, and that stuff doesn't need to be extracted.

The DZ isn't perfect and it had a lot of issues in the beta. But you're hugely simplifying the way the DZ works.

Didn't some people also figure out that the map space they showed in the Beta was roughly 22% of total map zone? Unless there is a lot of instanced content, or there was a lot of vertical space that was also locked away (ie. all the skyscrapers you couldn't enter), I'm getting the sense that the next article will be titled "What The Division didn't learn from Destiny."

Then again, wasn't Destiny considered a financial success? I mean despite all the criticism COD gets for being shovelware, it is still a top earning product. As long as they clear with a sizable profit, do AAA companies even care if they "raise the bar" or not?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here