Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow - Super Effective

Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow - Super Effective

The Nintendo 3DS versions of Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow fantastically recreate the experience of 1990s monster collecting for a new audience.

Read Full Article

If given the option, we will always name our nemesis something hilariously degrading. I have not grown up at all.

I've not played a Pokemon game since the 2nd gen but I did get all 151 Pokemon in the Blue version, with a little help admittedly from the missingno glitch and an action replay card for Mew. Sadly leaving the cartridge in my pants one day during the wash destroyed all that work. Really tempted to pick up a version and re-live the nostalgia.

008Zulu:
If given the option, we will always name our nemesis something hilariously degrading. I have not grown up at all.

Yep, even today I play the old games. For example, in the Pokemon Trading Card Game my favorite deck is called my "Xan's got a big" deck. Never growing up, never ever.

008Zulu:

"Ah yes, now I remember, his name is Asscock"
Or in my friends case
"Ah yes, now I remember, his name is (.(.)"

OT: I never had a Gameboy Colour myself, but my sister had both versions of Red/Blue and I was allowed to play Red when she wasn't using it, I used to do those starter only runs because my puny little brain could barely comprehend raising more than 3 (EXP share helped me raise a backup) I still remember battling and trading with friends. Likewise, when Gold and Silver were out, I played Silver.

I recently got Red again and nostalgia aside, I am quite missing all the little improvements they have made over the years, nonetheless, great fun. Although I am realizing just how unbalanced the game actually is, Psychic is OP and has no real weaknesses (Bug is garbage and Ghost moves don't work on them like they should) not to mention X-Accuracy makes all moves hit 100% of the time rather than bump it up one step, enjoy using completely accurate Fissure.

So happy to see they retained trading, now I can get my Kadabra to an Alakazam and break the game in half.

Let's however also be fair; the pixel-art, for the most part, is fucking atrocious.

Don't get me wrong there's some cool ones but dear God basically all of the Pokemon on your side look like ass.

The Artificially Prolonged:
I've not played a Pokemon game since the 2nd gen but I did get all 151 Pokemon in the Blue version, with a little help admittedly from the missingno glitch and an action replay card for Mew. Sadly leaving the cartridge in my pants one day during the wash destroyed all that work. Really tempted to pick up a version and re-live the nostalgia.

I completed Red, excluding Mew because you didn't need that for the certificate, with the help of a friend with Blue, and mine was erased too. Had a level 100 Venusaur, Blastoise and Charizard all done without Rare Candies. Thing is; I still have no idea how it got deleted. To this day I suspect my kid brother, but I never found out.

On Pokemon Red the first gym is essentially only possible with Charmander as your starter if you catch a Caterpie and train it until it evolves into Butterfree and learns confusion. This is not a logical course of action.

Phah, remasters are for scrubs! I have the original Pokemon Red in my drawer right now, and ready for action on my Game Boy Advance SP. Granted, I haven't made progress in ages and I think the catridge is pretty much wrecked due to it seemingly crashing every 20-30 minutes or so.

I've been thinking of picking up a 3DS. If these come cheap, maybe I'll pick one up for teh lulz. But one thing they could have done (among others) is expand and tweak the movesets. Let's face it: 1st gen pokemon had a really narrow array of moves to choose from: no dragon or ghost type moves that wouldn't inflict a fixed amount of damage, psychic moves being essentially confusion, psychic and psybeam and so on. I don't know if a re-release of the 1st gen pokemon games warrants that much of a collective pants-creaming, since there's a shit ton of problems with the games the series has grown out of by now. Keeping them in feels rather backwards.

Sorry but how do nintendo get away with this? I probably have a bit of a nintendo hate reputation but I honestly can't understand it. If any other company tried the Pok?mon format the rage would be palpable! you make two copies of the same game, remove some things from one, other things from another and let you trade the missing bits to each other.

Imagine the hate if assassins creed syndicate came in two versions, male and female. I bet the out rage would be fierce.

I enjoyed the game original games, well besides realizing how Nintendo designed them and how I didn't have pikachu at first. I thought I was going to play the cartoon, now I have to choose between bulbasaur, squirtle and charmader? Who the fuck wants any of these, gimme pikachu and make him follow my ass around! Oh that's in yellow? Cool ... wait it's the same game just with that change?

Then the stories and graphics have changed over the years but it's still catch 'em all and they can only have 4 moves. Just feels like the only reason we aren't getting a next game is 'cos they really have ran out of ideas after 710 of the fucking things! And we all know Nintendo loves to milk the shit out of franchises that only they can get away with. "cod is the same every year!" well it's got nothing on Mario! Last big evolution of mario was 3D! But that's a rant for another day!

Nintendo couldn't let a year or two pass without a "new" pok?mon coming out, so they need a new pok?mon but they have clearly ran out of ideas, what to do? What to do? REMAKE TIME!

I liked pok?mon as a kid but this is a joke that's gone on too long, 710 pok?mon ... just wow! I thought we were up to 300's but damn!

If you like pok?mon then happy times for you, hope it lives up to your expectations.

09philj:
On Pokemon Red the first gym is essentially only possible with Charmander as your starter if you catch a Caterpie and train it until it evolves into Butterfree and learns confusion. This is not a logical course of action.

Of course not, you forgot the strongest power 10 year olds possess; sheer bloody tenacity.

09philj:

Onix and Geodude's special stat is shit. Its completely possibly to just ember them to death.

omega 616:
Sorry but how do nintendo get away with this? I probably have a bit of a nintendo hate reputation but I honestly can't understand it. If any other company tried the Pok?mon format the rage would be palpable! you make two copies of the same game, remove some things from one, other things from another and let you trade the missing bits to each other.

Well the idea was made back when people actually cared about having fun playing video games. It as a neat idea to pick a game and find someone to trade with.

omega 616:

Just feels like the only reason we aren't getting a next game is 'cos they really have ran out of ideas after 710 of the fucking things!

They announced he next gen of Pokemon like last week dude.

omega 616:

Nintendo couldn't let a year or two pass without a "new" pok?mon coming out, so they need a new pok?mon but they have clearly ran out of ideas, what to do? What to do? REMAKE TIME!

People were actually complaining that it was taking more than a year for the next game to come out. Before then people were constantly clamoring for a remake of gen 3 and it's pretty much the only reason why it exists.

I don't really need the 3DS versions, I've got my old games at a moments notice. :3

Semi-DemiFiend:
They announced he next gen of Pokemon like last week dude.

You have to be shitting me!?

What kind of psycho is running pokemon (I realized putting the accent on the E was fucking it up but I was too lazy)? So I guess there are going to be like 800 and some odd pokemon next? Or are we just going to cut out the middle man and call it a straight 1000? In about 50 years Eevee is going to have more evolutions than humans!

omega 616:

Back in the day, it was mostly a novelty that there were 2 versions of the same game, just with a couple of different Pokemon between versions, which was surely done to encourage the trading aspect. Over time, in addition to the exclusive Pokemon, had a few minor changes between versions (such as the villain team being different in Gen III depending on the version you played) but the differences were still largely minimal and mostly just encouraged trading.

I enjoyed the game original games, well besides realizing how Nintendo designed them and how I didn't have pikachu at first. I thought I was going to play the cartoon, now I have to choose between bulbasaur, squirtle and charmader? Who the fuck wants any of these, gimme pikachu and make him follow my ass around! Oh that's in yellow? Cool ... wait it's the same game just with that change?

To be fair, the games came out before the anime and iirc, Pikachu being the mascot was a last minute decision (Clefairy was meant to be a mascot of sorts) They made Yellow to be more faithful to the anime, probably since they knew there would be an influx of kids who want to play Pokemon: The Anime: The Game.

Then the stories and graphics have changed over the years but it's still catch 'em all and they can only have 4 moves. Just feels like the only reason we aren't getting a next game is 'cos they really have ran out of ideas after 710 of the fucking things! And we all know Nintendo loves to milk the shit out of franchises that only they can get away with. "cod is the same every year!" well it's got nothing on Mario! Last big evolution of mario was 3D! But that's a rant for another day!

New game was just announced last week, expect another hundred or more, as for the games being the same every year, very few games in long running franchises will drastically change, they are long running for a reason, they know what sells, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As for Mario, considering Mario has been in almost every genre of gaming, from a few one-off games (Mario Paint) to coming out as their own spin-off series (Mario Kart, Mario Party) Mario has quite a lot of variety under his belt.

I liked pok?mon as a kid but this is a joke that's gone on too long, 710 pok?mon ... just wow! I thought we were up to 300's but damn!

Well in a series that has just hit the 20 year milestone based on the simple concept of "Gotta Catch Em All" wouldn't do to just stop at 300, gotta keep people coming back to catch more of the little fuckers.

omega 616:

I'm pretty sure the main reason they "got away with it" is because there's really nothing to get away with. Both games are almost entirely identical apart from some minor cosmetic differences and a small handful of Pokemon (which you were supposed to trade to get. Nintendo wasn't encouraging you to buy two games, it was encouraging you to go out and socialize with your friends). I don't get where your rage is coming from.

Using your example, it's more like they came out with two Assassins Creed games that were entirely identical apart from the weapons you could acquire (and even then you only had a couple missing) and you could get whatever ones you didn't have by sending your character to a market and trading the weapons you do have with other players over the internet for weapons that they have. You're not missing out on anything by not buying two games and if you don't do any trading you're still not missing out on much in the way of content.

Kajin:

omega 616:

I'm pretty sure the main reason they "got away with it" is because there's really nothing to get away with. Both games are almost entirely identical apart from some minor cosmetic differences and a small handful of Pokemon (which you were supposed to trade to get. Nintendo wasn't encouraging you to buy two games, it was encouraging you to go out and socialize with your friends). I don't get where your rage is coming from.

Using your example, it's more like they came out with two Assassins Creed games that were entirely identical apart from the weapons you could acquire (and even then you only had a couple missing) and you could get whatever ones you didn't have by sending your character to a market and trading the weapons you do have with other players over the internet for weapons that they have. You're not missing out on anything by not buying two games and if you don't do any trading you're still not missing out on much in the way of content.

Well I explained why I have a problem with it, any other company who tried to pull this kind of stuff would be blasted until they changed it. Remember that game that had content locked behind pre-order numbers and the last tier was "launches 2 weeks earlier" (can't remember the game) but there was so much anger over it, the company in charge scrapped the idea and just unlocked it all including the early launch.

I was actually in the position with my brother, I had blue, he had red, we had a gameboy (colour) each .... but no cable to trade! So I was stuck missing pokemon and couldn't do that stupid "you have to trade to evolve" bullshit, so I had graveler but couldn't get golem!

I think a lot of people give Nintendo A LOT more grace than any other company

omega 616:
Well I explained why I have a problem with it, any other company who tried to pull this kind of stuff would be blasted until they changed it. Remember that game that had content locked behind pre-order numbers and the last tier was "launches 2 weeks earlier" (can't remember the game) but there was so much anger over it, the company in charge scrapped the idea and just unlocked it all including the early launch.

Dunno what game it was, but if true then people were actually getting screwed because a fair amount of content was blocked from their reach for completely arbitrary reasons. People had a right to be pissed. Pokemon games? All you're missing out on is a handful of Pokemon and if your goal is to just beat the Elite Four and your Rival then you hardly need them to make an appropriately balanced team. You're only missing out if you're actively trying to get all the Pokemon, and that was only a bragging rights reward. I didn't meet a single person that got all the Pokemon in their own games, much less traded for all the others.

I was actually in the position with my brother, I had blue, he had red, we had a gameboy (colour) each .... but no cable to trade! So I was stuck missing pokemon and couldn't do that stupid "you have to trade to evolve" bullshit, so I had graveler but couldn't get golem!

You weren't missing out on anything. As I said, catching all the Pokemon was just a bragging rights reward. You still had access to 135 of the 151 Pokemon. If your ability to play the game was seriously impacted by that then you must have had some crippling OCD as a kid. I mean, I thought MY OCD was crippling when I was a kid and it didn't bother me enough to warrant caring much. I beat the Elite Four, I beat Gary, I had a good time. That's all I ask of my games.

Kajin:

omega 616:

Dunno what game it was, but if true then people were actually getting screwed because a fair amount of content was blocked from their reach for completely arbitrary reasons. People had a right to be pissed. Pokemon games? All you're missing out on is a handful of Pokemon and if your goal is to just beat the Elite Four and your Rival then you hardly need them to make an appropriately balanced team. You're only missing out if you're actively trying to get all the Pokemon, and that was only a bragging rights reward. I didn't meet a single person that got all the Pokemon in their own games, much less traded for all the others.

You weren't missing out on anything. As I said, catching all the Pokemon was just a bragging rights reward. You still had access to 135 of the 151 Pokemon. If your ability to play the game was seriously impacted by that then you must have had some crippling OCD as a kid. I mean, I thought MY OCD was crippling when I was a kid and it didn't bother me enough to warrant caring much. I beat the Elite Four, I beat Gary, I had a good time. That's all I ask of my games.

Except the tag line for the entire franchise is "gotta catch them all" and now you're removing some to force a trading situation, that could exclude some people such as me and my brother.

I might be the one per cent that had a bad experience with this system but why would you design a system that excludes people?

09philj:

I had a somewhat different strategy. I would get a pidgey (or a few) and make them use their sand attack on the onix until his accuracy was so low he couldn't hit anything anymore. And then I would proceed to slowly whittle him down. Worked pretty well most of the time.

Personally, I don't see any reason to replay Blue or Red, when there's FireRed and LeafGreen, which seemed like perfect remakes to me.

Fat_Hippo:

Personally, I don't see any reason to replay Blue or Red, when there's FireRed and LeafGreen, which seemed like perfect remakes to me.

Same here. Played them as a kid when they were good games. But now, I have the remake, and Gen 1 just bores me these days. The games nowadays do so much more, playing the originals feels empty. Also, any game with Gen 1 wrap is something I can live without.

omega 616:
Except the tag line for the entire franchise is "gotta catch them all" and now you're removing some to force a trading situation, that could exclude some people such as me and my brother.

I might be the one per cent that had a bad experience with this system but why would you design a system that excludes people?

I rather sincerely doubt that was the intended application, excluding people. More like they thought it'd be a great way to get people to connect and socialize. Try to get them to experience the game in a whole new way. If the intention was to get every player to buy two copies of the same game for completion's sake then they failed miserably and have continued to fail for years.

I bought them again for my 3DS and I plan on playing either Blue or Yellow pretty soon.

The balancing in Gen. 1 was all over the goddamn place, but I still enjoy them. Yellow always felt goofy to me because of the inclusion of Jessie and James, but it made it fun at the same time.

I picked up Blue and some 30 hours laters I'm done with it all over again. I never had the chance to play Yellow as a kid so that might be my next move. Replaying them had me wondering how I managed to level my team to 100 back on the GameBoy Colour, I even dug out my cartridge to see how my team differed. Turns out 7 year old me just caught the first 5 Pok?mon he came across for his unoriginally nicknamed team (seriously I called my Pikachu 'Shox' and my Butterfree 'Bugsy').

No doubt it's the nostalgia talking, but playing Gen I again was nice; simple and innocuous. 150 feels like an attainable goal. At the risk of going full Rose-tinted Glasses the last Pok?mon game I enjoyed this much was Diamond, with Black holding my attention for less than a couple of hours. I'm just getting old and grumpy.

TizzytheTormentor:

008Zulu:

"Ah yes, now I remember, his name is Asscock"
Or in my friends case
"Ah yes, now I remember, his name is (.(.)"

OT: I never had a Gameboy Colour myself, but my sister had both versions of Red/Blue and I was allowed to play Red when she wasn't using it, I used to do those starter only runs because my puny little brain could barely comprehend raising more than 3 (EXP share helped me raise a backup) I still remember battling and trading with friends. Likewise, when Gold and Silver were out, I played Silver.

I recently got Red again and nostalgia aside, I am quite missing all the little improvements they have made over the years, nonetheless, great fun. Although I am realizing just how unbalanced the game actually is, Psychic is OP and has no real weaknesses (Bug is garbage and Ghost moves don't work on them like they should) not to mention X-Accuracy makes all moves hit 100% of the time rather than bump it up one step, enjoy using completely accurate Fissure.

So happy to see they retained trading, now I can get my Kadabra to an Alakazam and break the game in half.

If you want to really break gen 1 there is only Mewtwo.

09philj:

Mankey.

Low kick.

???

Profit?

Edit: My mistake, mankey is only available that early in yellow.

You can actually arguably just use Ember on charmander, all of brocks pokemon have terrible special iirc?

omega 616:

Kajin:

omega 616:

If you cared so much about it, why didnt you and your brother just buy a fucking link cable. They're not that expensive.

Gundam GP01:
snip

We were like 7 and 8, if that. No pocket money or allowance etc. Single parent, no child support. The gameboys were xmas presents and the games birthday presents. They were the only games we ended up having for the gameboy and after it got back round to presents time again we were both sick of pokemon.

So a cable for a system that we had next to no games for and that we quickly lost interest in, wasn't a priority.

Sucks that Red & Blue are in the monochrome Game Boy version, not the tinted Game Boy Colour version. Neither looked great, but I prefer some colour to none at all.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here