The Wackiest Anime Ever, Part 1

The Wackiest Anime Ever, Part 1

Let's be honest, anime, while often serious, can also be incredibly wacky at times. Here are a few shows we thought were the wackiest.

Read Full Article

Did my eyes deceive me? Where's Excel Saga???

Space Dandy is one of my favourite shows of all time.

Surprised to see School Rumble on there- while it is wacky at times (like the dramatic gunfight two-parter), I wouldn't say it's as wacky as it gets. Pani Poni Dash is much wackier than most of the stuff on here. Sabagebu is also a uniquely ridiculous anime from the last couple years.

Scarim Coral:

Only part one.

Anyway, I hope there's room in part two for Nichijou. That show deserves some more recognition.

Well there are a lot of flavours of whacky out there.

I love absurd, made on acid shows as much as gag ones, but the ones with silly concepts are probably my favourite, like Detroit Metal City, My Bride is a Mermaid or Ben-to.

Anyone else digging how much more anime stuff we've been getting on here lately?

Hello, Bianca. Welcome to the Escapist, congrats on your first article and thanks for not making it a Top Ten!

The art direction of some anime is impressive, but the animation style itself is often so...frenetic and difficult to follow.

Part 2 has to include Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, right?

Hell, you could put Gainax and Trigger's entire library up here.

Nah, when it comes to anime "wacky" is a minus. FLCL is good despite that.

Yes there is also Puni Puni Poemi and He's My Master and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and all those ecchi anime about demons trapped in balls, but they all get tired really fast. Wacky is easy. Believable is hard.

Also. It says wackiest. Where's Dead Leaves?

I'm not into highschool anime shows, but Cromartie High is one exception to that. And it DEFINITELY belongs on this list.

Showing my age, but. . .

Ping Pong Club.

I am ashamed to say I even remember that anime, but some things even brain bleach cannot remove.

The turtle segment remains etched in my memory to this day no matter how hard I try to purge it.

MrCalavera:
I'm not into highschool anime shows, but Cromartie High is one exception to that. And it DEFINITELY belongs on this list.

I will second this. I love me some Cromartie.

I hope the new FLCL doesn't suck.

Hello, and welcome to the Escapist. Hope you enjoy your time here.

As for the article:
Nice to see some love for FLCL.

One Punch Man has probably been my favorite anime in the last few years. It combines good comedy with great over the top action and some really interesting characters that you end up loving. Mumen Rider!

weirdee:
I hope the new FLCL doesn't suck.

Even if it does, we'll always have the original.

What about Gintama or Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo? I admit I really can't stand the latter, but I always get a laugh out of Gintama.

I may have somehow managed to inhale my own lungs from laughing when FLCL did its little homage/sendup of a certain American animated series. That show was basically "Wut?" personified.

Uh... Does English dub parodies of anime series count? Because I can think of two that could make the next part (or parts) of the list...

Other than that, Paranoia Agent is wacky in a dramatic kind of way... That counts, right?

When it comes to wacky anime, I'll always have a soft spot for Nichijou. Dragonball and One Piece are also pretty wacky.

I must say though, FLCL was a seriously disappointing show; the first episode was amazing, but set a standard the rest of the series never lived up to.

The two that I miss on here are Excel Saga and Dragon Half.

COMaestro:
What about Gintama or Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo? I admit I really can't stand the latter, but I always get a laugh out of Gintama.

Hey now, I lurve Bobobo, in fact, I came in here just to bring it up.
Yeah, I saw the "Part 1" sign, I'm not oblivious, I'm just a pushy asshole.

FPLOON:
Other than that, Paranoia Agent is wacky in a dramatic kind of way... That counts, right?

If by "wacky in a dramatic way" you mean "a semi-terrifying acid trip" then...well, it still probably wouldn't belong on this list. :P

Nichijou allllllllmost reaches Bobobo levels of insanity, but not quite. Still, it's delightfully silly.

slo:
Nah, when it comes to anime "wacky" is a minus. FLCL is good despite that.

Yes there is also Puni Puni Poemi and He's My Master and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and all those ecchi anime about demons trapped in balls, but they all get tired really fast. Wacky is easy. Believable is hard.

Also. It says wackiest. Where's Dead Leaves?

Dead Leaves leans more toward "insane while still 'mostly' coherent". I love me some Magical Shopping Arcade though. Happened to watch a blooper reel for the dub on my totally legally obtained copy. Was even funnier than the show.

Also, Monster Musume is pretty wacky and actually a good show. Unlike Love Hina.

Come at me, bros.

Have any of you heard of Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro Chan?
Because that shit is wacky, bloody hilarious (emphasis on bloody) and I love it.
The intro alone should give you a pretty good idea.
Should definitely be considered for a spot here.

um... no Plastic Nee-San?
A miniseries that totalled under 30 minutes in TOTAL runtime. 2-minute long episodes. "Manic" doesn't do it justice.
you don't understand SHIT about glorious nippon humor or the true meaning of kawaii until you've experienced it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L5jTqkLIeQ

Scarim Coral:

Why no love for Pedro!

There's still hope for Pedro in Part 2.

Also Ghost Stories.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook