Ratchet & Clank - A Watered-Down Version of the Video Games

Ratchet & Clank - A Watered-Down Version of the Video Games

Ratchet & Clank recieves its first reboot with both a feature-length film and a new game.

Stick with the game.

Read Full Article

WOOOOOOO! MARTER IS BACK! XD
...Just kinda wish that the movie was good.

Kinda a shame really, I think that the setting of the games would, if nothing else, make for a great cartoon.
Like all those little cutscenes in Ratchet & Clank 3, like "ONE OF NATURE'S MYSTERIES!" and "Agent Clank".

Oh well, better luck next time...

CINEMARTER LIIIIIIIIIIVES

Aaaand of course the great comeback is a slightly terrible video game movie. Figures. xD

To paraphrase Brian Blessed: "Marter's ALIIVE!"

Why is it that video game movies are crap even when the games have a good plot, characters, and writing?

Sucks about the movie though.

Ayyyy, CineMarter's back :D

Just a shame the movie was a bit shit. The most interesting fact about it then is still that one of the known accomplices of ex-Escapists, LoadingReadyRun, Andy Cownden is in it.

Andy Shandy:

Just a shame the movie was a bit shit. The most interesting fact about it then is still that one of the known accomplices of ex-Escapists, LoadingReadyRun, Andy Cownden is in it.

Andy "Slumped In An Alley Licking Olive Oil Off My Hands" Cownden was in it?

Well, I guess it had to reach that 1 1/2 star rating somehow...

RACHECT AND CLANK HAS NOT BEEN GOOD SINCE DEADLOCKED/GLADIATOR!!!!

There I said it, this series has lost its balls because of a SEVER change of tone and direction with the first game of the Future Trilogy, Tools of Destruction. It became TOO CHILDISH and PIXAR-LIKE!!!

Don't believe me let me show you scenes from the first 4 games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pteT_UD3COE

https://youtu.be/ssAWEDrMOPM?t=896

https://youtu.be/SCFKaVPnIeg?t=464

Now this is the tone for the shitty Future Trilogy:

https://youtu.be/1pOdET5PW1I?t=167

I'm not even gonna upload Quest for Booty cutscenes. The tone is just WRONG!!!!

What a coincidence that the biggest fault of the remake (eventhough it is really good) being all the times the movie assests intrude on the game. All the new character designs from the movie, all the (cut)scenes from the movie, all the new voice actors from the movie; It's all just limp by comparison.

09philj:
Why is it that video game movies are crap even when the games have a good plot, characters, and writing?

I wouldn't say the games have good plot, characters or writing, they just work well with the concept of being a cat creature blowing up aliens and robots with crazy guns. It's at its best when it's just goofy shenanigans in between the blasting, NOT when it's trying to be all profound and meaningful. This is what's been sort of killing the franchise; the need for origin and drama.

Diablo1099:
Kinda a shame really, I think that the setting of the games would, if nothing else, make for a great cartoon.
Like all those little cutscenes in Ratchet & Clank 3, like "ONE OF NATURE'S MYSTERIES!" and "Agent Clank".

Oh well, better luck next time...

I always imagined a Samurai Pizza Cats type show. I fear the time that this game series had any sort of edge to its humor is looong gone though.

Marter rebooted, reimagined and redefined for this rebooted remake with revengeance. Can we call you Marter the white now?

I can see why producers would see this franchise as a great IP to seamlessly integrate into movie profits, but it appears they forgot that you still need talent to screenwrite a game to a film, no matter how film-like it may already appear. Whether it does well at the box-office may be down to whatever marketing tactics they impliment here. Am enjoying the game immensely though, so it's not all bad. Edit: I hope tbey at least put Mr Zurkon in the film. His one-liners have been perhaps the only funny highlights of the game so far, he is a character more than weapon...we have bonded.

lacktheknack:

Andy Shandy:

Andy "Slumped In An Alley Licking Olive Oil Off My Hands" Cownden was in it?

Well, I guess it had to reach that 1 1/2 star rating somehow...

Shoulda made him Ratchet AND Clank. Instant 5 stars, obviously. :D

Samtemdo8:

A Crack in Time got a bit better tone wise. Unfortunately it still insisted on elaborating on that dumb origins shit. Also the weapons and enemies were garbage.

Casual Shinji:

Samtemdo8:

A Crack in Time got a bit better tone wise. Unfortunately it still insisted on elaborating on that dumb origins shit. Also the weapons and enemies were garbage.

Yes like the overly useless burp cannon.

Honestly despite some interesting additions to the gameplay the Future games just felt....Lesser?

I mean Tools of Drestruction felt like it had half the content that was offered in Up Your Arsnal and focused on gimmicky weapons like the Disco Ball thing :P

A Crack in Time was probably the only good one because it felt closest to the older games but that's it and by that time I felt the games was just recycling the formula.

I just got back from the theater. I'm more upset with the time I lost than the money I spent on the ticket. I think that was the worst adaptation. Of all time. It had one tiny bit of soul earlish on with an easter egg, but otherwise, it was a hollow, shallow brightly-lit, boring, movie. There was hardly a plot, there was even less of a connection to the game that...inspired it? I found myself drifting off, daydreaming about the actual game I had been playing hours earlier. It was an assault on the eyes, in the way too many background things are too attention grabbing, so it all just blurred into a mess.

Honestly, even if you think it's your duty to see this because you grew up with them...don't. Cuz that's what I did and I regret nearly every second of it.

They should have finished Into the Nexus. This was a shit-show.

EHKOS:
I just got back from the theater. I'm more upset with the time I lost than the money I spent on the ticket. I think that was the worst adaptation. Of all time. It had one tiny bit of soul earlish on with an easter egg, but otherwise, it was a hollow, shallow brightly-lit, boring, movie. There was hardly a plot, there was even less of a connection to the game that...inspired it? I found myself drifting off, daydreaming about the actual game I had been playing hours earlier. It was an assault on the eyes, in the way too many background things are too attention grabbing, so it all just blurred into a mess.

Honestly, even if you think it's your duty to see this because you grew up with them...don't. Cuz that's what I did and I regret nearly every second of it.

They should have finished Into the Nexus. This was a shit-show.

Like I said before Ratchet has not been good since Deadlocked/Gladiator. (Or if you want to go even furthur the first 2 PSP games)

The Future games just ruined so much of the franchise for me with the sudden change of Tone and Direction.

The downgrade from Rated T to E10 was not a good one :P

Samtemdo8:
Yes like the overly useless burp cannon.

Honestly despite some interesting additions to the gameplay the Future games just felt....Lesser?

I mean Tools of Drestruction felt like it had half the content that was offered in Up Your Arsnal and focused on gimmicky weapons like the Disco Ball thing :P

A Crack in Time was probably the only good one because it felt closest to the older games but that's it and by that time I felt the games was just recycling the formula.

Well, the two things a Ratchet and Clank game need to be at least good are fun weapons and enemies that are fun to blast. Tools of Destruction still had that. The Mag-Net Launcher and Alpha Disrupter are two of my favourite weapons in the franchise, and the Drophyd enemies were a delight. I can't think of any enemy in the franchise that goes from killer combat droid to helpless goldfish gasping in terror as you point a gun in its face.

And Into the Nexus added the jetpack sections and saw a nice return of Thugs-4-Less. This new remake expands on the jetpack sections and adds the bells and whistles of current processing power to the weapons of old. And the Pixelizer is an absolute joy.

My main issue with the series since Future began is really the kiddie-fied sensibilities, and it's attempts at trying to make this universe and its characters into a thing. I suppose it's just the gaming landscape we live in now, where AAA-games aren't allowed to be random, goofy shit anymore. Everything now needs to mean something and have an origin.

Cinamarter Returns: Unpredictable
Another Sony Movie Sucks: Predictable
Full Frontal Nerdity still on The Escapist: Unpredictable

The next thing that happens now has to be predictable.
I'm going to guess that it will be a Keanu Review.

I haven't seen it, but from what reviews I've read I am left really disappointed :( Ratchet and Clank is probably my favorite game series of all time; I've been waiting for this movie for a long while. To find out that it's not good is a major bummer.

That it fails to display a variety of amusing weapons seems like one of the bigger missteps. That's what the series was all about >_>

I guess I'll console myself with the game...oh wait I don't have a PS4. sigh

I am not surprised the movie wasn't good, but I'm not familiar with the R&C games as a whole. Still, heard the new game was pretty good.

AND MARTER IS BACK! *blows party horns*

He died so that he could return and sucker punch us with this lemon AND IS BACK BABY.

But I'm still seeing it because you can't not see a movie that has Paul Giamatti and John Goodman in the voice cast.

We also get a couple of montages, lots of shots of the villains being evil, one or two "twists" that won't surprise anyone over the age of eight, and very little usage of Ratchet's wrench, surprisingly.

I saw the movie and played the game. While I, personally, enjoyed the movie, I can't really say the critics are wrong in their assessment. The movie is very far from perfect. The 90 minute running time cuts out so much development.

Who knows, maybe Angry Birds will be better.

Samtemdo8:

There I said it, this series has lost its balls because of a SEVER change of tone and direction with the first game of the Future Trilogy, Tools of Destruction. It became TOO CHILDISH and PIXAR-LIKE!!!

Word of advice - using capitalized letters en masse doesn't help articulate a point. Secondly, "childish" is a word that is rarely, if ever associated with Pixar, and for good reason. Unless you're referring to animation similarities, in which case, the comparison falls even further on its face.

Also, speaking as an outsider who's never played a Ratchet & Clank game, having watched all those cutscenes in order, cutscene four does feel the odd one out, but in a way, kind of refreshing. Cutscene 2? The joke is that the grey guy is an idiot? Cutscene 3? It's satire (albeit blatent) on sports tv (more particuarly wrestling). Cutscene 1 is a bit better as far as buracratic jokes go, but cutscene 4 manages to be humorous on its own merits. It also helps that cutscene 4 shows a demonstrable improvement in graphical fidelity.

Usually I'd go on, but as I haven't played the games, I'll stay silent. But having seen "they ruined the tone!" diatribe applied to Sonic, Crash, Spyro (and those are just the platformers, Tomb Raider is a non-platformer example), I'm pretty sure I know how this goes.

Hawki:

Samtemdo8:

I have played all the games (it made my PS2 childhood) and I was extremely dissipointed in how the games ended up in the PS3 era, they just did not felt the same as the PS2 games.

You can watch more cutscenes and gameplay videos to understand where I am coming from if you want.

Word of advice - using capitalized letters en masse doesn't help articulate a point. Secondly, "childish" is a word that is rarely, if ever associated with Pixar, and for good reason. Unless you're referring to animation similarities, in which case, the comparison falls even further on its face.

Also, speaking as an outsider who's never played a Ratchet & Clank game, having watched all those cutscenes in order, cutscene four does feel the odd one out, but in a way, kind of refreshing. Cutscene 2? The joke is that the grey guy is an idiot? Cutscene 3? It's satire (albeit blatent) on sports tv (more particuarly wrestling). Cutscene 1 is a bit better as far as buracratic jokes go, but cutscene 4 manages to be humorous on its own merits. It also helps that cutscene 4 shows a demonstrable improvement in graphical fidelity.

Usually I'd go on, but as I haven't played the games, I'll stay silent. But having seen "they ruined the tone!" diatribe applied to Sonic, Crash, Spyro (and those are just the platformers, Tomb Raider is a non-platformer example), I'm pretty sure I know how this goes.

I was a huge fan of the games it made my PS2 childhood and was dissipointed in the direction of the PS3 games.

Comparing the 1st 4 games with the later games is like comparing Apples to Oranges

Wha happun to the Patreon? D:

EHKOS:
I think that was the worst adaptation. Of all time.

Really? The worst adaptation, of all time? Worse then Alone in the Dark? Worse then Resident Evil? Worse then anything directed by Uwe Boll? WORSE THEN THE SUPER MARIO BROTHERS? Really? I saw the movie, it wasn't Disney but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. So Prince of Persia, Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, Mortal Kombat, and Silent Hill (who currently have higher Rotten Tomato ratings) are better movies?

dragongit:

EHKOS:

Really? The worst adaptation, of all time? Worse then Alone in the Dark? Worse then Resident Evil? Worse then anything directed by Uwe Boll? WORSE THEN THE SUPER MARIO BROTHERS? Really? I saw the movie, it wasn't Disney but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. So Prince of Persia, Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, Mortal Kombat, and Silent Hill (who currently have higher Rotten Tomato ratings) are better movies?

I'd be careful of using terms like "worst adaptation," because judging a work as an adaptation is different from judging it on its own merits (sidenote - I highly reccomend watching Lost in Adaptation). For instance, Starship Troopers, the movie, if judged as an adaptation, is terrible. If judged as its own thing however, it's a pretty entertaining sci-fi flick. To use a game example, I think the first Resident Evil movie is pretty decent. If judged as an adaptation, yes, it's lacklustre, existing on brand recognition only. If judged as a horror/action movie on its own merits, I think there's some fun to be had. As controversial as it is, I hold it up there with Mortal Kombat and Prince of Persia as some of the best live-action videogame adaptations out there.

Which is really depressing when you think about it. :(

dragongit:

EHKOS:

Yeah, you know what I take that back. The first RE and Silent Hill movies WERE better, but I was basically tired enough when making the post to forget about Postal and Prince of Persia. R&C IS a terrible film though.

Hawki:

Samtemdo8:

I wouldn't go there. His views on CGI and notion of what constitutes the Pixar style and tone or anything stylized and hatred there of are err...questionable.

Hawki:

I do agree with him however, that the later R&C games are poor compared to the original trilogy. It kind of ends up becoming a parody and poor mans version of itself. I'm....not really sure if the tone is /that/ different rather not as well executed and tired, like they ran out of ideas and were just keeping the franchise alive. The original trilogy is worth playing though, they're games that just exist for the fun of it, y'know? Like the creators just wanted people to have a good time and roll with the world they created.

Additionally the producer seem to be a bunch of d**ks.
I watched a Let's play of the game, since I don't own any consoles. The game seemed pretty good, exspecially the greatly varried weapon effects were pretty impressive.
Unfortunatly the game also contains a bunch of scenes from the movie as cutscenes. Which means that in the end all the uploaded videos got copyright-striked. And since the youtuber didn't want to risk getting enough strikes to get banned on youtube, he was forced to delete all his videos of the game.
Which is exspecially moronic considering that he got the key for the game from the publisher. So they give out keys for youtubers to play the game only to copyright-strike those same youtubers for uploading footage of the game.

09philj:

Having to smash eight or more hours of gameplay and story into an hour and a half to two hour movie probably doesn't help. That and I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the time the people making the movie just see a popular franchise, want to make some money off of it, and just look up notes from the Wiki without ever touching the actual games.

OT: I personally liked it. I will not deny that it had its fair share of problems(the fact that with the reboot they've mashed a lot of the lore and story from the original into it from the get go not helping any of them), but I wouldn't go around calling it a bad film. I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone who has never played the games before, but to someone who has played the games I'd at least suggest giving it a shot.

Disappointing but not surprising at all. The games never struck me as movie material even as a fan who's been playing them since the original, they rely very heavily on their fantastic gameplay and incredible series of fun to traverse levels especially. I dunno why anyone thought a movie would work if they weren't willing to really explore the games universe with a little more depth and care like pixar would in their better films.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here