Zero Punctuation: Homefront The Revolution

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Homefront The Revolution

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Homefront The Revolution.

Watch Video

Now that you've said it, I do want to see a game with real-world North Korea as the bad guys. It would be refreshing to play a game where the big bad guy is totally insane in that goofy sort of way that makes him torture scientists until they publish reports that unicorns are real so he can claim to have ridden one.

Eh I personally liked this game, Yahtzee must've played it on PC cause I never had any of those issues he mentioned on console.

Yeah, Yahtzee kind of hits the nail on the head over the issue of these bizarre attempts to make North Korea a credible superpower Villain(because they don't want to lose out on the Chinese Markets) but in order to do so they attempt to create this weird alternate reality where North Korea is a powerhouse rather then the Stalinist Gulag with no friends and one enabler that it really is.It didn't make sense in the New Red Dawn and it makes even less sense here.

I think the only Alt History I've seen in a video game that's worse is the Sunset Invasion DLC in Crusader Kings 2(because it makes the bizarre case that the Aztecs would realistically be able to invade Europe from across the Atlantic Ocean in the middle ages).

Bob_McMillan:
Damn, I forgot this game even existed. I wonder if Yahtzee will bother with Battleborn or Overwatch.

Battleborn, probably not. Overwatch, likely 50-50%. Though I suspect he'll do it just to annoy the fans when he once again has to remind people that he doesn't particularly like multi-player games and people shouldn't be suprised when he says he doesn't like them, no matter how polished they are. I think Splatoon was the only one he actually liked.

Damn, I forgot this game even existed. I wonder if Yahtzee will bother with Battleborn or Overwatch.

Speaking from experience, trust me, the QA team found all these bugs, it's that someone else decided they weren't worth fixing.

Now I wanted a OverWatch review, in limerick form, with constant references to butts.

RJ Dalton:
Now that you've said it, I do want to see a game with real-world North Korea as the bad guys. It would be refreshing to play a game where the big bad guy is totally insane in that goofy sort of way that makes him torture scientists until they publish reports that unicorns are real so he can claim to have ridden one.

That game exists and it's called Mercenaries (which is basically Grand Theft Korean-warzone gameplay-wise). I recall it being one of my favourites but this was a long time ago so I may be nostalgia-blinded. One of the best parts being you get to sorta pick the level of goofiness you want as there are 3 Player Characters to select from, two of which are serious and one of which is a jolly violence-loving psychopath.

What do you have against Gingers, Yahtzee you twat?

Nobody going to make the joke about it being the second revolution caused by Americans being catty and late with their payments? Noooooooooooooooooo???

Fair enough, then.

One day I will get a great guerilla warfare game, but that day is not today.

"hurdy the gurdy"? Is that an obscure reference to Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles? I mean, I doubt that quite a lot, but it just seems to fit way too well.

MoltenSilver:
Speaking from experience, trust me, the QA team found all these bugs, it's that someone else decided they weren't worth fixing.

This is my experience as well. You would be surprised what Developers will label as "known shippable - will not Fix"

"Hey, Devs, I know the RTS game is ending testing this week, but if the player blows up all the bridges on this map, they can make the map impossible to complete and it just doesn't end. One bridge should be indestructible or the game should flag it as a loss if all three bridges go down." REPLY: "Will not fix. If the player is dumb enough to do that, then let that be a lesson to them to not be such an idiot". :s

Anyway, I don't think he's going to review overwatch. He already skipped on Battleborn because he hates multiplayer only games, and there's not all that much content to Overwatch.

Granted it's my current addiction and I love the hell out of OW, but there's not much in the way to review and make jokes about for 5 minutes straight.

As much as I would like to say I enjoyed this review, an early joke soured my appreciation somewhat as I started thinking about Agadoo and the bloody earworm drilled into my head and has refused to leave.

So here, you can all suffer with me.

aegix drakan:
"hurdy the gurdy"? Is that an obscure reference to Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles? I mean, I doubt that quite a lot, but it just seems to fit way too well.

MoltenSilver:

This is my experience as well. You would be surprised what Developers will label as "known shippable - will not Fix"

"Hey, Devs, I know the RTS game is ending testing this week, but if the player blows up all the bridges on this map, they can make the map impossible to complete and it just doesn't end. One bridge should be indestructible or the game should flag it as a loss if all three bridges go down." REPLY: "Will not fix. If the player is dumb enough to do that, then let that be a lesson to them to not be such an idiot". :s

Anyway, I don't think he's going to review overwatch. He already skipped on Battleborn because he hates multiplayer only games, and there's not all that much content to Overwatch.

Granted it's my current addiction and I love the hell out of OW, but there's not much in the way to review and make jokes about for 5 minutes straight.

He might review Overwatch since he did talk about it in yesterdays Extra Punctuation, I hope he does if only to see him criticize the shit out of the notion of a full-priced game(yes Overwatch is full-priced on consoles, which you'd be surprised how many people forget) having fucking microtransactions.

So is there anyone on here that does watch the show on a Oilrig?

Hmm. This game was announced by THQ shortly before they went under and then got bought up by Deep Silver. Given the QA issues, I wonder if they handed it over to the same team that made Ride to Hell Retribution 1%.

...Wikipedia says it wasn't. Disappointing.

Also, points to the developers for apparently retconning away the original backstory in favor of an even more ludicrous one. So is this a sequel or a reboot?

Personally, this was the probably the best ZP this year, so far. The funniest, anyways - now I believe that Yahtzee's best videos are the ones where he doesn't enjoy the game. Guess that kind of means we're getting entertained by his suffering.

Goliath100:

Hm? Have you never played any of the Far Cry games? Particularly Far Cry 3, though I think they all portray guerilla warfare quite well, maybe you're a little bit overpowered for a "resistance fighter" from time to time (especially in FC4) but it certainly pits you as more of a stealthy underdog than say, the Just Cause series.

If you have played a Far Cry game (the guerilla-like ones are from 2 onwards), what part of it didn't feel enough like guerilla warfare to you? Seems to me like it ticks all the boxes. Is it the part where you get too overpowered to feel like a guerilla fighter, way too early? I would say that the low health counters that, but I sort of half-agree. Yes, it's also a bit repetitive, but I think the gameplay makes up for it. So long as you're not the 100% type.

It also happens to be the series that this game just tried to profit off, by jumping on the bandwagon years too late. First one was trying to hop on the Call of Duty linear shooter bandwagon, now they're trying for the trend of open-world shooter that Far Cry 3 set off - years too late, again. Might as well recommend Far Cry 3 for everyone who was disappointed by this game (if they haven't played an FC game already, I mean), it's almost the same in every way except for actually being good.

Ironically, Far Cry's brother series, Crysis, had its first game set in North Korea (if I remember correctly), which means that now you have better alternatives for both if you want to fight North Koreans or if you want to engage in guerilla warfare.

I especially enjoyed him calling out these crapout devs for being cowards. The notion of 'North Chorea' is now firmly embedded in my brain.

I'll be honest, I completely forgot this game was a thing.

Steve the Pocket:
Hmm. This game was announced by THQ shortly before they went under and then got bought up by Deep Silver. Given the QA issues, I wonder if they handed it over to the same team that made Ride to Hell Retribution 1%.

Also, points to the developers for apparently retconning away the original backstory in favor of an even more ludicrous one. So is this a sequel or a reboot?

Reboot, or, as Wikipedia put it, a "re-imaging".

Also, what's even stranger is the developers of FrontDoor: The Remodeling are none other than Free Radical Design, or, at least, what's left of them.

I will see about giving this game a go sometime because I have weird fondness for games such as these (Games that are mostly functional but are faired as average).

What little I remember from the first game's charitably-labled-story (before I got bored and quit) was my character was BARELY a character, with no speaking while the other NPC's yelled at me and each other, while making one terrible decision after another. How that got a "sequel" or whatever it is boggles my mind.

Goliath100:

Do the FarCry games count? Particularly 3 and 4?

MoltenSilver:

RJ Dalton:

That game exists and it's called Mercenaries (which is basically Grand Theft Korean-warzone gameplay-wise). I recall it being one of my favourites but this was a long time ago so I may be nostalgia-blinded. One of the best parts being you get to sorta pick the level of goofiness you want as there are 3 Player Characters to select from, two of which are serious and one of which is a jolly violence-loving psychopath.

I agree, the first Mercenaries was the tits. Amazing soundtrack, a plethora of vehicles and weapons, airstrikes you can buy, and it wasn't a ham-fisted political allegory, unlike it's sequel. They should make another one, and do it better than last time.

Barbas:
Nobody going to make the joke about it being the second revolution caused by Americans being catty and late with their payments? Noooooooooooooooooo???

Fair enough, then.

Why did north korea take over half the world? because the americans were getting so fat that they were worried there wouldn't be any space left on earth. Badum-tish

Steve the Pocket:

Its kind of like Airport simulator. first there was airport simulator 2014 which was awful and one of the lowest scoring games on steam. then there was airport simulator 2015 which was a slightly more tolerable kind awful, but made by a different dev under a different publisher. i'm guessing that the IP was picked up by somone else after THQ collapsed and then they just rewrote it so that people wouldn't have to play homefront 1 first since they would make no money off it and but they could still rake in some cash from the people who remembered the first one. it's all speculation though. a lot of game companies nowadays have execs with no experience in game design who were just hired because they made money selling something else

aegix drakan:
"hurdy the gurdy"? Is that an obscure reference to

No.

I wonder if those two guys that cornered you remembered when you were inadvertently humping one of you comrades in combat...

Other than that, you're not kidding about the sound...

If they want a North Korean villain, how about making a shooter in the fucking Korean War? Go at it, Call of Duty. There doesn't seem to be much love for your sci-fi settings anymore, so how about a period that feels like the WW2 setting that made you, but is just different enough to score some originality points.

I think the problem with using China as villains is that even if they do have the resources to do it they don't really (at lease as far as I can see) have a real reason to invade and/or destroy America. They don't have a real beef with us other then the Boxer Rebellion that they got over a long time ago.

Steve the Pocket:

Nope, that game was done by Eutechnyx. This game was made by Dambusters(a company mostly made up of employees from Crytek UK)- which Yahtzee may be surprised to learn is actually not based in the USA but rather in the U.K.

bificommander:
If they want a North Korean villain, how about making a shooter in the fucking Korean War? Go at it, Call of Duty. There doesn't seem to be much love for your sci-fi settings anymore, so how about a period that feels like the WW2 setting that made you, but is just different enough to score some originality points.

Plenty of people still love sci-fi settings, those dislikes on IW's trailer are mostly just from people jumping on the bandwagon. People forget that the initial reveal trailer for Black Ops 2 also had a large amount of dislikes, but that didn't stop from selling like hotcakes, and i'm sure the same will be true this year as well.

Darth_Payn:
What little I remember from the first game's charitably-labled-story (before I got bored and quit) was my character was BARELY a character, with no speaking while the other NPC's yelled at me and each other, while making one terrible decision after another. How that got a "sequel" or whatever it is boggles my mind.

Goliath100:

Do the FarCry games count? Particularly 3 and 4?

MoltenSilver:

RJ Dalton:

I agree, the first Mercenaries was the tits. Amazing soundtrack, a plethora of vehicles and weapons, airstrikes you can buy, and it wasn't a ham-fisted political allegory, unlike it's sequel. They should make another one, and do it better than last time.

Mercenaries 2 wasn't really much of a "ham fisted political allegory" at all as the storyline didn't really mention politics all that often.

bificommander:

I could see Treyarch being the ones behind something like that since it could be placed as a midqual to World at War and the original Black Ops (Yes the latter is a sequel to the former).

I want to know what Canada was doing while N. Korea was taking over the US.

So, after watching this, I only have one, very important question...

...who's up for fighting zargons on Mars in the next Call of Duty game? It's already gone into space, might as well have aliens in it.

Sonicron:
I especially enjoyed him calling out these crapout devs for being cowards. The notion of 'North Chorea' is now firmly embedded in my brain.

Except they weren't being "cowards" since they clearly did want North Korea as a villain and not China.

Michael Prymula:

Sonicron:

Except they weren't being "cowards" since they clearly did want North Korea as a villain and not China.

Bullshit. The enemy for the first game was China util they got cold feet and switched to the Norks. The stated 'reasons' were: http://kotaku.com/5732623/china-is-both-too-scary-and-not-scary-enough-to-be-video-game-villains
"They're just not that scary."
and
Bilson recalls getting a word of caution from some of the personnel at his company. "The guys in our Chinese office said: Did you know that everybody on the exec team will be banned from coming into China for the rest of your lives? They were afraid the ministry of culture was going to wipe us out."

So take your revisionist bullshit and shovel it elsewhere please. Not to mention China is only not scary if you're not paying attention to the goings on in the South China Sea or the fact that by 2020 their military spending will equal the US's because they've been adding 10% year after year to it since the early 90's.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here