The Tao of Notch - Beyond Twitter

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Tao of Notch - Beyond Twitter

The public has not heard much outside of Twitter lately from Markus "Notch" Persson, the famed creator of Minecraft, but he spoke with us on a wide range of topics.

Read Full Article

Fascinating. I'd love to read more of these interviews - the circus of social media can give you a completely different and often deeply erroneous view of people, which is a great shame.

Very great read. Loved it.

Wayyyy longer than I thought it would be, but good job.

This is way better than the Blizzard news feed and the stuff that reposted from imgur the other day.

I really enjoyed reading this interview. Not really sure why, since it wasn't particularly informative and it mostly seemed like small talk. Though that might just be because I've seen enough twitter outrage and inaccurate hit pieces to know people are rarely what they are made out to be by the internet mob.

Definitely going to have to remember "ovary-acting" for the future though

I never cared much about Minecraft, but Notch as a person is awesome, definitely gained my respect.

That was an amazing, insightful interview. I really hope The Escapist does more of these in the future, because that was a great read. And while I don't agree with Notch on everything, and it was great to see someone ask interesting questions and not just do a big hit piece. And for the record, I could give two shits about Minecraft.

Really nice interview! More of them please :)

What an awesome interview and fantastic scoop. Notch seems like he has a real good head on his shoulders for all this internet drama and bull.

Very well written. Only read the first page so far as I need to get back to life but definitely plan on reading more. We could use more of these interviews. Just don't make them click-bait. For the love of Grodd don't make them click bait.

Good, long interview. Read it through to the end and I'd love to see more.

Nice work, Brad!

That was a really cool look into Notch as a real person, rather than how he's often portrayed (or has sometimes portrayed himself). He actually has some pretty balanced thoughts into the various strange conflicts plaguing modern western society, though I didn't agree with everything he said. He's also a good example of how people will try to hang you if you don't pick a side and agree with everything they say. Luckily, he seems in a better emotional state than maybe a few years ago, and no longer seems as affected by this kind of haranguing as he used to be.

Pretty much what I expected. Maybe it's the northern blood coursing through his veins along with a healthy dose of being a down to earth scandinavian (jantelov/jantelagen); He's definitely not scared of cutting through the bullshit and speaking his mind, while absolutely being open to new possibilities or simply admitting being wrong about something.

Now if only more people were able to do the same...

I seem to have many personality traits in common with Notch. Except the part about being allergic to cats and dogs.

I'm even working on my own Java game. They say history repeats itself, so I'm fully expecting to be a billionaire in 5 years or so.

Thanks for all the kind words! It was such a fun interview and I'm glad Notch gave me a chance with it.

Yeah, impressive get Brad. Good interview, too. Especially considering how elusive he is about interviews. His twitter is one of the more amusing and randomly educational feeds I have read. Nice to see him get a chance to give himself some context in a longer format.

I wonder if the Escapist would be interested in doing articles where they interview a dev and go over their Game Design Documents in depth. It may sound dry at first, but insights into the GDD would most likely be insights about the entire development process as well as the intentions behind it.

Instead of a game review or a book review, it would be the game design document review. Perhaps I am just deluded because of how badass and informative and just exemplary the Planescape Torment GDD was. Having to read the GDD for a class showed me an angle I did not previously see. Playing a game and reading the GDD imparts way more than playing the game by itself. Then again, others may find that idea boring.

Too often people have to choose between what they love and making their living; always cool to hear more from people who've been so successful at the former that they've taken care of the later. :)

Tiamat666:
Except the part about being allergic to cats and dogs.

Ick ... I couldn't live with that either. :(

Good read and, as far as I can tell, good interview.

Welcome to The Escapist, Mr. Glasgow.

Strange to read an interview on a gaming site with someone who ISN'T promoting a current product. But strange in a good way, catching an obviously thoughtful person in a reflective mood for a non-confrontational chat. A few more of these instead of the usual "Game Journo" drive-by trash lobbing exercises, alleging various -isms of monstrous proportions, would hopefully offer a model of healthier conversation as an alternative to the pathological controversy-mongering we're currently afflicted with. Nice read, good job.

You know what, this is good stuff, Escapist. More of this please.

I'd be really really down for more things in the same vein as this.

StatusNil:
Welcome to The Escapist, Mr. Glasgow.

Strange to read an interview on a gaming site with someone who ISN'T promoting a current product. But strange in a good way, catching an obviously thoughtful person in a reflective mood for a non-confrontational chat. A few more of these instead of the usual "Game Journo" drive-by trash lobbing exercises, alleging various -isms of monstrous proportions, would hopefully offer a model of healthier conversation as an alternative to the pathological controversy-mongering we're currently afflicted with. Nice read, good job.

Thanks!

Much, much credit has to go to The Escapist for their willingness to publish this kind of content. Not only that, but I had a condition that the interview had to be left intact, without selective editing. There are some very minor grammar edits here and there, but other than that, this is the entire interview, verbatim. Not every publisher was willing to do that. The Escapist was a joy to work with and I hope to do more interviews like this for them.

Interview from 2013 if anyones curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMIDquNSXmA

Typo on pg. 6

MP: No, the reason I to do it was because I saw Cortex Command doing it and they got it from someone else as well.

Fat_Hippo:
That was a really cool look into Notch as a real person, rather than how he's often portrayed (or has sometimes portrayed himself). He actually has some pretty balanced thoughts into the various strange conflicts plaguing modern western society, though I didn't agree with everything he said. He's also a good example of how people will try to hang you if you don't pick a side and agree with everything they say. Luckily, he seems in a better emotional state than maybe a few years ago, and no longer seems as affected by this kind of haranguing as he used to be.

If you asked around, though, I'm sure you'd find a majority opinion that Notch has picked a side- even if he doesn't speak up about every little thing, he is vocal enough and consistent enough that most people who pay attention to him on Twitter would feel comfortable drawing a line between Notch+his supporters vs. his opponents.

As a side note to the article, I'm glad that Glasgow and/or the editors went through the piece afterwards. Seeing a note about a quote being historically misattributed to Henry Ford pleases me, because it tells me that they didn't just feed the interview into a speech-to-text machine and publish it- they actually read what they had gathered and were writing down, edited and annotated it with care, then published it.

brad_glasgow:
Much, much credit has to go to The Escapist for their willingness to publish this kind of content. Not only that, but I had a condition that the interview had to be left intact, without selective editing. There are some very minor grammar edits here and there, but other than that, this is the entire interview, verbatim. Not every publisher was willing to do that. The Escapist was a joy to work with and I hope to do more interviews like this for them.

Oh. That might be why it seemed a bit...lengthy. It might have benefited from a few less "like"s, but on the other hand I think I can understand being hesitant to do an more heavily edited interview after the Destructoid...incident.

I think this was one article that might've done better in two pages, or broken up more on the page somehow. I lost track of where I was once or twice. Pretty good stuff overall, though, and I'd love to see more.

Wow, what a natural, organic interview. Very candid. No messaging, no brevity due to rejecting pre-screened questions or editing out responses. No attempts to catch the person being interviewed in an uncomfortable moment to drum up drama. A real breath of fresh air. And Notch probably wouldn't have agreed to anything less.

"I can buy them frozen and put them in a pan until they're no longer frozen."

This is how I'm going to describe my cooking to anyone who asks me now.

Can't take anyone seriously who uses stupid terms like SJW. He's dead fucking wrong about Kotaku, it seems like he's ignorant about a lot of things going on, just goes to show you being rich doesn't automatically mean you are smarter then everyone else.

What I took from this is that Notch is a no-nonsense guy and also very, very lazy.

darkrage6:
Can't take anyone seriously who uses stupid terms like SJW. He's dead fucking wrong about Kotaku, it seems like he's ignorant about a lot of things going on, just goes to show you being rich doesn't automatically mean you are smarter then everyone else.

It seems there might be a small misunderstanding, not once in the interview does Notch mention Kotaku, there is a quote from a tweet, but he actually goes on to explain his problems with the kind of journalism he believes kotaku practices. Additionally he explains his views on what SJW actually means, and he doesn't seem to hold the word, or those who use it seriously, in high esteem.

I want to not give a fuck about other people the way Notch doesn't. He sounds so free doesn't he?

darkrage6:

Well this is news to me. I blindly assumed every man, woman, and child making more than $100,000 grand a year was fucking eienstein.

Give Kelly Clarkson a gun and 24 hours, she'll have the israel palestine conflict solved by morning..

Thunderous Cacophony:

Fat_Hippo:
SNIP

If you asked around, though, I'm sure you'd find a majority opinion that Notch has picked a side- even if he doesn't speak up about every little thing, he is vocal enough and consistent enough that most people who pay attention to him on Twitter would feel comfortable drawing a line between Notch+his supporters vs. his opponents.

Hmm, I don't pay enough attention to Twitter to be able to judge this. But I meant he hasn't really picked a side on the whole SJW/GamerGate thing, and refuses to take one. He will argue with feminists about certain things, and agree with them about others. Which seems very reasonable to me, but some people will of course get incredibly pissed off at him and accuse him of being sexist.

As a side note to the article, I'm glad that Glasgow and/or the editors went through the piece afterwards. Seeing a note about a quote being historically misattributed to Henry Ford pleases me, because it tells me that they didn't just feed the interview into a speech-to-text machine and publish it- they actually read what they had gathered and were writing down, edited and annotated it with care, then published it.

Agreed. For me, this was the best article on the Escapist, and frankly one the best gaming-related interviews on the internet, I've read in a long time. Kudos!

darkrage6:

when the hell did he mentioned kotaku?

DudeistBelieve:
I want to not give a fuck about other people the way Notch doesn't. He sounds so free doesn't he?

darkrage6:

Well this is news to me. I blindly assumed every man, woman, and child making more than $100,000 grand a year was fucking eienstein.

Give Kelly Clarkson a gun and 24 hours, she'll have the israel palestine conflict solved by morning..

I think Clarkson actually is pretty smart, Justin Bieber and Kanye West not so much.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here