Zero Punctuation: Headlander & Quadrilateral Cowboy

Headlander & Quadrilateral Cowboy

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Headlander & Quadrilateral Cowboy.

Watch Video

Well, its nice to hear we'll finally be able to shake off the double bills soon. I mean, it was really fun to watch, don't get me wrong, but I suppose it was nicer when it was a rarer thing. Thank fuck July is over.

My favorite part about Hackers was a part that completely dates the movie to a hilarious degree: everyone's "NO FUCKING WAY!!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!" reaction to one of the characters boastfully stating that he just got a "new" 56k modem.

RJ 17:
My favorite part about Hackers was a part that completely dates the movie to a hilarious degree: everyone's "NO FUCKING WAY!!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!" reaction to one of the characters boastfully stating that he just got a "new" 56k modem.

WW, did they wear mammoth furs at the same time?

Portal already did the Turrets Who Apologize thing. Bit late to that party.

I was going to make a suggestion that, since we're still going through the summer drought, why not do a full review of Undertale?

It's been out for almost a year now, so I doubt many people would be hating Yahtzee for spoilers.

I won't regret voting for Hilary at all. As for the episode, I can honestly this is the first time Yahtzee has reviewed games that i've never heard of, neither of them really interest me. I can't wait for him to tear No Man's Sky to shreds, he's absolutely going to despise that game.

Arpapunk?

Because you know, ARPAnet.

Double Fine manouver themselves more into the sea of obsoletenes with each game.

Guess their prime time is definitely over.

I don't know if he reads these threads anymore, but it would be interesting to see a re-review of a game he reviewed ages ago but has changed considerably in the years since, like TF2 (which he only devoted about a minute to even then) or Minecraft (as a good point of comparison to the growing trash pile of open world survival games and No Man's Sky in particular).

D'aaaaw, Yahtzee-helping-Gabe-move reference.

RJ 17:

I happen to like HACKERS, because it has a product-of-its-time earnestness and charm it wears on its sleeve. And yet, I find Swordfish to be almost unwatchable.
Quadrilateral Cowboy has piqued my interest for its hacking mechanics. Still not sure about the head-swapping one.

BloodRed Pixel:
Double Fine manouver themselves more into the sea of obsoletenes with each game.

What is it with big dev studios making "indie" games now, anyway?

"...Which I guess needs a name..."

Wouldn't that be 'dieselpunk'?

So a "give it a miss" and a "give it a chance" this week. Still, I might check out Quadraplegic Fanboy, sounds like an interesting concept applied well.

Am I the only one getting the vibe the Double Bill reviews are starting to fail to meet their original purpose? That purpose being: review two indies, one's good, one's bad, with a theme that connects them, I know Yahtzee enjoyed Quadrilateral Cowboy, but his positives were kinda token considering the amount of negatives that highlighted a "give a chance, but not too much". I got the same vibe from Furi/Song of the Deep, Furi was praised by being compared to No More Heroes, a game I know for a fact Yahtzee doesn't like.

Darth_Payn:

Indie is just an excuse to do it quick and dirty. More money, and the time to spend it. Not to mention, they built-in excuse for the quality. Just like all the "early access" garbage.

This just makes me want to play Uplink Hacker Elite again. XD

Or maybe Hacker Evolution. I've heard that's fun too.

Wait... An Adult Swim Games game was done by Double Fine? No wonder I could not jell with the commercials for this "PS4" game...

Other than that, QC's title does sound like how a wannabe hacker would describe rogue hacking in the wild west called the "Internet"...

MatthewTheDark:
Well, its nice to hear we'll finally be able to shake off the double bills soon. I mean, it was really fun to watch, don't get me wrong, but I suppose it was nicer when it was a rarer thing. Thank fuck July is over.

I'm waiting for the moment Yahtzee breaks down and decides to review a Japanime title, another vintage game, or even do another "OGTRSMIGH" episode.

You got it one Yahtzee, DOSpunk sounds the best
Also it's my new favorite genre
Also also I never actually watched or played or read anything in that genre...

Darth_Payn:

RJ 17:

I happen to like HACKERS, because it has a product-of-its-time earnestness and charm it wears on its sleeve. And yet, I find Swordfish to be almost unwatchable.
Quadrilateral Cowboy has piqued my interest for its hacking mechanics. Still not sure about the head-swapping one.

BloodRed Pixel:

I thought Swordfish was fun and found Hackers was merely average, today it's only really noteworthy for being Angelina Jolie's first really big role.

If he enjoyed the hacking part of Quadrilateral Cowboy I wonder what he thought of "else Heart.Break()"?

He probably did what everyone did and never played it, but if he did I am curious what he thought of it.

Steve the Pocket:
I don't know if he reads these threads anymore, but it would be interesting to see a re-review of a game he reviewed ages ago but has changed considerably in the years since, like TF2 (which he only devoted about a minute to even then) or Minecraft (as a good point of comparison to the growing trash pile of open world survival games and No Man's Sky in particular).

I am Bedinsis, and I approve of this message.

Steampunk in the 80s? You mean cyberpunk? Specifically "contemporary" cyberpunk (now retro-not so futuristic cyberpunk, I guess?). You know steampunk is named after that genre right?

GrumbleGrump:
So a "give it a miss" and a "give it a chance" this week. Still, I might check out Quadraplegic Fanboy, sounds like an interesting concept applied well.

I've had Quintessential Bellboy on my steam 'to buy...at some point' list for a little while now. Its got good user reviews and good critical reviews and just all round seems like a good time. One of the user reviews compared it to "a little Deus Ex, a little Hacker Uplink, a little Monaco" which just sounds fantastic.

Definitely somewhat more encouraged after the Yahtzee review though.

RJ 17:

Ahhhh, the Nineties...

Anyway, due to this video I now want to see someone try and make a production of Henry IV with 17 Falstaffs.

*drama drama FALSTAFF drama FALSTAFF FALSTAFF FALSTAFF dr-FALSTAFF*

Demonstrated: the risk when making fun of comedy is that you yourself aren't funny. Especially true when you lead that in with a completely out of place tentacle hentai joke because you know, that was funny at some point in the distant past.

Joke's on you; I'm not voting!

I humbly suggest Hacknet for Yahtzee, which sounds somewhat similar to Quadrilateral Cowboy in that you have to type commands (Unix) to hack stuff in order progress and uncover the story.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/hacknet

Yahtzee, this is gonna sound soppy, but I'm just saying that I appreciate that after so long you're still doing ZP reviews. I binge-watched a lot of them recently and realized that it'll be a sad day when your last one comes out. Keep it up :)

Has anyone else noticed that the escapist magazine has lost a lot of content creators. They also have not really replaced them with anything, I mean the publication calendar is practically empty. I hope that this is not a sign that the escapist is going under because I really like this places, it's fun.

I mean it wasn't to long ago that the calendar had the likes of man at arms, unskippable, the jimquisition and dose anyone else remember when the escapist had unforgotten realms and animations like that. I know that all of these people left to do other things for other places but the escapist looks a little dead at the moment. Which is sad to me.

JagerBombastic:
Has anyone else noticed that the escapist magazine has lost a lot of content creators. They also have not really replaced them with anything, I mean the publication calendar is practically empty. I hope that this is not a sign that the escapist is going under because I really like this places, it's fun.

I mean it wasn't to long ago that the calendar had the likes of man at arms, unskippable, the jimquisition and dose anyone else remember when the escapist had unforgotten realms and animations like that. I know that all of these people left to do other things for other places but the escapist looks a little dead at the moment. Which is sad to me.

I'm not sure who else suffered this, but Jim and MovieBob were forced out. If you want to know why, the common answer is that both of them were becoming SJWs (Or whatever term you want to use to those of you who get fussy about it).

As far as everyone else, I do not really know. I remember something about the magazine going under new management, but that's the last I heard.

And, to address the empty calendar, it hasn't really bother me since all I come here for, aside from Yahtzee's stuff, is Erin Dies Alone and the occasional article that passes my eye. Aside from that, I spend my time following other creators, or working on my own stuff.

nitrium oxide:
I humbly suggest Hacknet for Yahtzee, which sounds somewhat similar to Quadrilateral Cowboy in that you have to type commands (Unix) to hack stuff in order progress and uncover the story.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/hacknet

How does that compare to Uplink?

I know Hacknet is newer and may have a different focus but not much beyond that.

Transdude1996:

JagerBombastic:

I'm not sure who else suffered this, but Jim and MovieBob were forced out. If you want to know why, the common answer is that both of them were becoming SJWs (Or whatever term you want to use to those of you who get fussy about it).

As far as everyone else, I do not really know. I remember something about the magazine going under new management, but that's the last I heard.

And, to address the empty calendar, it hasn't really bother me since all I come here for, aside from Yahtzee's stuff, is Erin Dies Alone and the occasional article that passes my eye. Aside from that, I spend my time following other creators, or working on my own stuff.

Fair enough, I have watched Jim Sterling's stuff and have never considered him to be that SJW. My comments where merely out of concerned for the site as I have been a big fan ever since Zero Punctuation started airing on the site.

carewolf:
Steampunk in the 80s? You mean cyberpunk? Specifically "contemporary" cyberpunk (now retro-not so futuristic cyberpunk, I guess?). You know steampunk is named after that genre right?

The box art for Quadrilateral Cowboy even says CYBERPUNK on it.

Also can't believe Yahtzee hasn't read that classic of cyberpunk, Neuromancer by William Gibson. The protagonist is a 'console COWBOY'.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here