No Man's Reward

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No Man's Reward

All sales are final.

Read Full Article

Gearbox & Bethesda?!?? Aw. No Roberts Space Industries? And don't we all still hate EA still? Nice big comic. You guys put some work into this one.

Well, it's better then Developer Hell, where Half Life 3 and Megaman reside.

Or developer purgatory, where FF15 and Duke Nukem crashed for a decade or two.

The Dashcon reference is beautiful.

Fox12:

That's development hell, not developer hell.
Developer hell consists of being harassed at all times by an intolerable fanbase and short-sighted publishers.

As has come to be usual, awesome writing and...meh, art. Though to be fair in this case the art is for once actualy acceptable. Its still not good however its tolerable and decently fits the tone of the comic.... (wonder how many get this)

Another hour in the ball pit.

Clankenbeard:
Gearbox & Bethesda?!?? Aw. No Roberts Space Industries? And don't we all still hate EA still? Nice big comic. You guys put some work into this one.

Don't worry about Roberts Space Industries. While we're waiting, the knives are being sharpened.....

Please tell me that's Anthony Burch in the M&M kiddie pool.

Clankenbeard:

Something has to be released or canned for expectations to actually be dashed. Molyneux is flying off to hover around them.

The kiddie pool had me laughing harder than it should of ...

Love this one! XD

Souplex:

Fox12:

That's dvelopment hell, not developer hell.
Developer hell consists of being harassed at all times by an intolerable fanbase and short-sighted publishers.

But... but that's all of them!

Oh god. Has game development been the true hell all along?

American Fox:

Its Randy Pitchford (gearbox) and Todd Howard (bethezda) the other two kings of over-promise / lies and disappointment.

Every 300 hundred strips or so this comic has a burst of inspiration and drags itself into "not painfully contrived and unfunny" terroritory for a strip. This is one of those times! No social justice posturing or weird rants about how people should be allowed to use others IP either. The moons have aligned.

ErrrorWayz:
Every 300 hundred strips or so this comic has a burst of inspiration and drags itself into "not painfully contrived and unfunny" terroritory for a strip. This is one of those times! No social justice posturing or weird rants about how people should be allowed to use others IP either. The moons have aligned.

Woah, Critical Miss has been running for 30,000 strips ("300 hundred") already?!

American Fox:

i doubt it, he's not the guy at gearbox who over promises and under delivers. it's probably randy pitchford.

But Pitchford isn't that thin, and doesn't have dark hair.

Beautiful, just beautiful

C'mon, he shoulda known better. it was fucking Peter Molyneux guiding him to the "promised land." His ambition never matched his moxy.

LenticularHomicide:

ErrrorWayz:

Woah, Critical Miss has been running for 30,000 strips ("300 hundred") already?!

Don't be absurd. There's been at least 4 'non-SJW' strips, so that means that Critical Miss has been running for over 120,000 strips.

Souplex:

Fox12:

I thought Developer Hell was aka Konami...

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Souplex:

Fox12:

Except Kojima escaped Konami and you can't get out of hell. Konami is more like the Developer North Korea.

K12:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Souplex:

Except Kojima escaped Konami and you can't get out of hell. Konami is more like the Developer North Korea.

I think Kojima had a get out of hell free card stashed away, it only cost him his first born.

It's like the Land of Expectations... except it's not the Land of Expectations, but the Ball Pit of Tumbled Dreams...

Other than that, just like Sharpay, this was not what you wanted or planned and you cannot understand...

This made me smile.

Which is odd, because I thought when I bought no mans sky I'd broken that feature.

I have to bring up a big nitpick now. It was only the brave battle-dead vikings who came to valhalla, the rest came to the today strangely obscure realm of Hel. So it should really be called Developer Hel.

I find it odd Sean Murray and Bethesda would go to Developer Valhalla, considering that both of them delivered exactly what they said they would. At most, the fans inflated their expectations of the games they released by making up things the developers never said they would put in and then whined when it turned out those things the developers never promised would be there actually weren't there.

Fox12:

Purgatory would imply that they would eventually come out pure. It's more like developer tartaros, a bottomless pit in the deepest point of the underwold where their disembodied limbs are flung down ot languish in immortal suffering

immortalfrieza:
I find it odd Sean Murray and Bethesda would go to Developer Valhalla, considering that both of them delivered exactly what they said they would. At most, the fans inflated their expectations of the games they released by making up things the developers never said they would put in and then whined when it turned out those things the developers never promised would be there actually weren't there.

Man, I try to cut developers slack when it comes to this stuff, but the interviews with Sean Murray before No Man's Sky were really evasive and unclear on what the fuck kind of features were actually in the game. Seriously, there was no clear answer on what the actual multiplayer aspects of the game were right before launch, and he always evaded the question when asked right up until the game launched. The guy basically gave non-answers for a lot of his interviews, a lot of that fed into fan hype and people expecting a product way beyond anything feasible, but the guy deserves at least some blame for dancing around features and even the most baseline explanations right up until release.

I didn't follow the game until around its release, and going back and watching his interviews to try and figure out if I wanted to buy the game or not, I have never encountered any game where I knew so little about it after watching that much pre-release content. Until someone actually got their hands on the game and started posting videos, I had no idea what or how most of the advertised features of the game were supposed to work, that speaks to either purposeful obfuscation, or extremely poor planning.

It doesn't help that a lot of shit that was in the first E3 trailers is just not in the game, or noticeably different than what was shown. Usually, I understand that, early trailers are often just proof of concept, but they still used that trailer in their marketing and used shots of it in other trailers right up until release.

For fuck's sake, even the Steam page is still using that trailer, despite being noticeably different from the final product.

This implies he made some sort of bloated promise. The biggest question asked of this game pre-release was, "What do you, you know, DO?" His non-answers were totally correct, as this game features non-gameplay.

EternallyBored:

Man, I try to cut developers slack when it comes to this stuff, but the interviews with Sean Murray before No Man's Sky were really evasive and unclear on what the fuck kind of features were actually in the game.

Really? Because I was following it basically since it was announced and Sean Murray was quite clear from the beginning what features were going to be in the game. He promised a space exploration game with countless planets, scanning of plant and animal life for credits, resource collecting to make a better ship and spacesuit, all with an end goal of reaching the center of the galaxy and that's exactly what we got. People kept asking what do we actually DO in the game despite it having been revealed exactly what that was a long time ago.

Seriously, there was no clear answer on what the actual multiplayer aspects of the game were right before launch, and he always evaded the question when asked right up until the game launched.

You mean other than very clearly stating that multiplayer features were nonexistent for all intents and purposes from the very start? He stated that it was extremely unlikely any player would meet up with each other and that there was no plans for there to be any means for players to be able to interact in any real fashion in the event they did meet up every time he was ever asked and people kept asking anyway.

The guy basically gave non-answers for a lot of his interviews, a lot of that fed into fan hype and people expecting a product way beyond anything feasible, but the guy deserves at least some blame for dancing around features and even the most baseline explanations right up until release.

Most of the interviews occurred long before the game was anything resembling finalized and Murray also wanted to keep some things under wraps. However, when he was asked a question he typically answered it.

I didn't follow the game until around its release, and going back and watching his interviews to try and figure out if I wanted to buy the game or not, I have never encountered any game where I knew so little about it after watching that much pre-release content. Until someone actually got their hands on the game and started posting videos, I had no idea what or how most of the advertised features of the game were supposed to work, that speaks to either purposeful obfuscation, or extremely poor planning.

Or you just were not paying attention. People haven't been paying attention to what Murray actually was saying and then making up crap about the game it's entire development and then acting surprised when what they made up turned out to not be true. If anything Hello Kitty put MORE features into the game at the last second than Murray ever stated the game would have.

Going to Valhalla, eh? He forgot to spray chrome in his face first.

immortalfrieza:
People haven't been paying attention to what Murray actually was saying and then making up crap about the game it's entire development and then acting surprised when what they made up turned out to not be true. If anything Hello Kitty put MORE features into the game at the last second than Murray ever stated the game would have.

Admittedly
I did not pay attention to hype train or much of press coverage if only because I find what marketing departments and 'gaming media' do, deplorable.

Yet I actually greatly enjoy what NMS does when it works. It delivers gameplay I longed for since... SWG (also berated and hated game) even thou these 2 are different generes. It is basically relaxed, blissfull exploartion of vast world.

However no game ever should have been launched with that piss poor error handling and memory leaks leading to blue screen of death syndromes. This mauls otherwise great experience into 'omg my PC got maleware' scenario in an instant.
In regard of this comic and the facet of releasing games in utterly broken state, to me, next to Bethesda there should be Bioware seated. And lets be honest I like the game but NMS PC port brought this on itself - game where there is no auto-save and no option to save at any time isn't stable, has unhandled errors which crash PC and memory leak which leads to inevitable BSOD which you can have 'fun' managing with graphics settings: max setting BSOD after 15min-1 hour, min settings 6-8 hours; yet still it eventually gets there, which undoubtedly points towards memory leak problem. It's not acceptable and Hello Games needs to fix it otherwise ...well into kiddie pool of developer's valhalla with them.

immortalfrieza:

Seriously, there was no clear answer on what the actual multiplayer aspects of the game were right before launch, and he always evaded the question when asked right up until the game launched.

You mean other than very clearly stating that multiplayer features were nonexistent for all intents and purposes from the very start? He stated that it was extremely unlikely any player would meet up with each other and that there was no plans for there to be any means for players to be able to interact in any real fashion in the event they did meet up every time he was ever asked and people kept asking anyway.

Let's not get silly now. The "incredibly unlikely to run into other players" was very clearly stated to be the result of the massive size of their game world (or universe if you will), not the lack of the multiplayer feature.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here