Predicting What's New on the Nostalgia Horizon - The PS1 Era

Predicting What's New on the Nostalgia Horizon - The PS1 Era

Perhaps it would be worth examining gaming history and trying to make predictions based on the twenty year rule.

Read Full Article

The first couple Tomb Raiders are what first comes to mind when I think of this subject. Maybe they'd make a return: more of exploration and climbing and block puzzles rather than quick-time events and creepy misogyny.

One thing we've seen in the last couple years is the return of space shooters, with things like Evocron Mercenary and Sol Exodus, and more recent developments like Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Star Citizen. In the late 2000's all we had was the X series to represent the genre. With Interplay putting the Freespace license up for sale I'm sure we'll see something from that.

Final Fantasy VII came out in 1997. It's remake will be coming out around 2017. You can already tell there's some nostalgic JRPG'ing going on with releases like "I am Setsuna". 20 year rule checks out.

Well, we've got Yooka-Laylee coming soon, and Bloodstained, which are both based on fifth generation console platformers. I think what we'll be seeing a lot of here is people going back to old ideas and essentially making them good, because the PS1, N64, and Sega Saturn were all a bit shit, because they were on the cutting edge of a new era, and things which are on the cutting edge of a new era always age the worst.

sketchesofpayne:
One thing we've seen in the last couple years is the return of space shooters, with things like Evocron Mercenary and Sol Exodus, and more recent developments like Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Star Citizen. In the late 2000's all we had was the X series to represent the genre. With Interplay putting the Freespace license up for sale I'm sure we'll see something from that.

Well space exploration sims really hit the big time in the early-mid 1990s with games like the Wing Commander franchise, the Descent franchise, Frontier: Elite II, and it's sequel Frontier: First Encounters(Elite III), and games like X-Wing vurses Tie Fighter... So I think we're going to see space sims make a bigger comeback as time goes on.

By the way Yahtzee Croshaw, you were wrong in your Drown Out of Elite: Dangerous, it's not a remake of the original Elite and Elite Plus. Elite: Dangerous is a direct sequel to Frontier: First Encounters, which is the direct sequel Frontier: Elite II, which is the direct sequel to Elite/Elite Plus. That's both in terms of game canon, along with in universe time-line. If you're still playing Elite: Dangerous, sometime in the not too distant future you can expect the return of Thargoids, the hostile space-faring alien bugs.

Edit: A good piece of lore that shows the progress is actually in the Cobra MkIII's description. It was the only playable ship in the original Elite/Elite plus. In Elite: Dangerous it's stated as having been developed by Lave Cowell & MgRath shipyard around the year 3100. The design and the shipyard have since been bought by Faulcon DeLacy, which is the Elite: Dangerous maker of most multi-purpose ships. Ships like the Python and the huge Anaconda. Faulcon DeLacy also bought up Zargon Peterson at some point. While the brand name remains, ships like the Adder and the Fer-de-Lance are technically Faulcon DeLacy ships, despite wearing the Zargon Peterson brand name.
Back on topic: With the release of the new Master of Orion, along with the resurrection of X-COM, it looks like earl-mid 1990s strategy games are coming back. There's another game like the Master of Orion, that came out earlier too, which also took it's inspiration from Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares.

Also Mech simulator games seem to be making a come back, again these were a mid nineties staple. With MechWarrior Online a few years into it's life already and Heavy Gear Assault being out now. I'm waiting to see if Armored Core and Metaltech/Earthsiege/Starseige make a comeback too.

Finally, we can hope for either a new entry in the Starsiege: Tribes franchise, or at least a spiritual successor. No online multiplayer game ever felt as fun as Tribes, because that's a game that gives every player a jet pack by default. It also popularized the concept of automated turrets, but in Tribes the player actually has a method to control them. Still Tribes was a great franchise, full of hectic twitch gameplay, being unique for the fact that death could literally come from any direction, at any moment. Tribes is also the franchise that introduced the concept of being able to kill other players, by ramming them, or running them over with a vehicle.

The Sonic series has been stuck 20 years in the past since the release of 4 and is kicking off with Mania early next year. Also, the fighting genre seems to be having a resurgence with Skullgirls, Mortal Kombat X, SFV, KoFXIV, and Injustice 2.

Also, if the 20 year rule is correct, what about games like NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, and a number of other notable Saturn games, or even those "godawful" FMV games (Though, I've heard that they're often given much more shit than they deserve).

The first two Tomb Raiders and the accompanying Voodoo/Voodoo2 masturbating that came along with them ;)

Anyway, I just recently started Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. I think that's 1997 or 8. Never played them back then, but my mate (who now has two kids and is 33) sure did! So the "Eternity Engine" RPGs as well.

Unreal (Tournament).

MechWarrior 4: I recently reinstalled it, but have been playing MechWarrior Online instead...

And of course your column, also back after a long hiatus :P

If this means they'll finally make another game like Tie Fighter, then bring on the nostalgic rehashes!

Transdude1996:
The Sonic series has been stuck 20 years in the past since the release of 4 and is kicking off with Mania early next year. Also, the fighting genre seems to be having a resurgence with Skullgirls, Mortal Kombat X, SFV, KoFXIV, and Injustice 2.

Also, if the 20 year rule is correct, what about games like NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, and a number of other notable Saturn games, or even those "godawful" FMV games (Though, I've heard that they're often given much more shit than they deserve).

Oddly enough, technology has advanced far enough that FMV games would actually look good if they put the money into one these days.

Brian Fargo is doing quite well for himself by throwing the 20 year rule to wind. Wasteland 2 (sequel to 1988 game) and Bard Tale IV (the last one was also 1988). Perhaps it's more the "20 to 30 year" rule, which really makes it a bit of a non-rule. But cashing in nostalgia is definitely a thing at the moment, the success of Stranger Things immediately springs to mind as well as the endless Hollywood reboots (Conan the Barbarian, Total Recall, Robocop etc).

Coming soon: New Super Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina Between Worlds!

JRPGs with insane grind.

I mean, COME ON!
Who doesn't want to pay for the 20USD DLC that gives you 10xEXP?

We're rapidly coming up on 20 years since Deus Ex and System Shock 2, and publisher-bollocks aside, the rebooting of the former seems to be well-received. I'm imagining an indie revival of long, intricate RPG shooters. Not shooters with upgrade paths or Diablo-style RPG mechanics, but actual RPG mechanics.

Or alternately, we should be in the midst of an N64 era split screen multiplayer revival.

Will Smith riding a giant steampunk mechanical spider while shooting aliens and rapping the theme song using old music samples would definitely win me over I think. And nothing less. But that isn't entirely based on nostalgia more than it is a very appealing concept.:)

There'd definitely be a market for it, but I don't picture early-3D-style games taking off in the same way that pixel platformers did in the indie scene... simply because I think one of the biggest factors in that boom was that there was a real significant void to fill, and there isn't quite as big of one in this case, since the mainstream gaming industry is still making low-poly 3D on the handhelds (where you don't have a 40-inch monitor to see everything on and so the marketing department doesn't start wailing if your graphics look anything less than Uncanny-Valley "photorealistic").

Again, though, there will be a market for it, and I'm predicting that one of the big new genres will be repeating what took off last time: remaking the seminal Mario game of the era being paid tribute to (in this case, Super Mario 64 instead of Super Mario Bros.), but with an arty visual style and one new gameplay gimmick.

I wonder if someone with Unity will make a 3D puzzle platformer in which all the SM64 glitches that pannenkoek2012 exploits will actually be incorporated as core gameplay mechanics. Like, specially designated hyper-speed-walking slopes and enemy glitch exploitation, and actually designing puzzles around that.

Transdude1996:
FMV

Thanatos2k:
FMV

There's already a couple of new FMV games on steam, and they're pretty good according to the reviews.
Her Story and Contradiction: Spot the Liar were released last year, while The Bunker was just released a few days ago.

Edit: Also, Tesla Effect: a Tex Murphy Adventure two years ago.

In some ways, it makes sense. I can see people getting into gameplay design styles for the PS1 era; but I don't see people getting into nostalgia visuals as they did with pixel art, mostly because early 3D graphics (PS1 era) were god awful, more interested in looking advanced and cutting edge while working around the technical limitations than being visually appealing...

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:
Also Mech simulator games seem to be making a come back, again these were a mid nineties staple. With MechWarrior Online a few years into it's life already and Heavy Gear Assault being out now. I'm waiting to see if Armored Core and Metaltech/Earthsiege/Starseige make a comeback too.

This please.

Bringing back both old school shooters like Doom (and maybe Half Life?) and mech games would scratch my nostalgia itch and leave me a happy gamer for a few years.

Games where you use a joystick and it has a slider for speed and you have to use at least 20 buttons on the keyboard to operate all the functions and I can set up my gaming space like a cockpit again. I just wish I could afford (and have space for) some modern day VR stuff as well, get a complete mech pilot experience.

Ah, all the possibilities of old style games with modern day tech!

Bobular:

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:

This please.

Bringing back both old school shooters like Doom (and maybe Half Life?) and mech games would scratch my nostalgia itch and leave me a happy gamer for a few years.

Games where you use a joystick and it has a slider for speed and you have to use at least 20 buttons on the keyboard to operate all the functions and I can set up my gaming space like a cockpit again. I just wish I could afford (and have space for) some modern day VR stuff as well, get a complete mech pilot experience.

Ah, all the possibilities of old style games with modern day tech!

That's kind of funny considering I have a Saitek X52 HOTAS with the optional rudder pedals. I never had to use any keyboard keys, because everything actually useful was bound to the HOTAS and rudder pedal set. Which made me a nightmare in MechWarrior 3 and 4 when they were still widely played. Also with rudder pedals... There is nothing quite as satisfying as stomping both pedals to use jump jets, which is how it works in the Battletech universe.

Konami better keep their mitts off my Suikoden...

09philj:
Well, we've got Yooka-Laylee coming soon, and Bloodstained, which are both based on fifth generation console platformers. I think what we'll be seeing a lot of here is people going back to old ideas and essentially making them good, because the PS1, N64, and Sega Saturn were all a bit shit, because they were on the cutting edge of a new era, and things which are on the cutting edge of a new era always age the worst.

Bah, ninja'd.

But yeah, Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained were the first things that came to mind.

And I agree. There was a lot from the PS1/N64 that could benefit from today's tech and methods. I mean, look what the Shivel Knight guys did: they made one of the best 8-bit games ever made...in 2014.

When I was in that era all I wanted was a decent cricket game with online multiplayer so I could face people and teams from all over the world with my friends on my team.

Now I've traumatized by a few years of the reality of competitive online multiplayer I'm not sure if I could stand an entire game of cricket with some arsehole telling me what a noob I am, although sledging is very much a part of cricket so I guess it really would be realistic.

Tanis:
JRPGs with insane grind.

I mean, COME ON!
Who doesn't want to pay for the 20USD DLC that gives you 10xEXP?

they actually packaged this free with the FF7 rerelease, but with the usual stipulation of turning off achievements, and the catch of having to access their website that enabled the features after linking to their DRM.

It's possible Resistance 3 got the ball rolling for FPS's that harken back to when the player could carry more than 2 weapons at once, shoot a varied host of different-looking enemies, need medkits to heal, and take more damage than the two pump chumps of today. The revivals/reboots/resomethings of Wolfenstein and DOOM are emblematic of that.

Xsjadoblayde:
Will Smith riding a giant steampunk mechanical spider while shooting aliens and rapping the theme song using old music samples would definitely win me over I think. And nothing less. But that isn't entirely based on nostalgia more than it is a very appealing concept.:)

Based on the BO returns of Suicide Squad, Summer Action Blockbuster Will Smith is back in full force. 20+ years ago, he was always a sure thing, while More Serious Award Baiting Will Smith of later years was less so.

Transdude1996:

I thought fighters never really went away, just lost prominence to sandbox and Modern FPS games.

snave:
We're rapidly coming up on 20 years since Deus Ex and System Shock 2, and publisher-bollocks aside, the rebooting of the former seems to be well-received. I'm imagining an indie revival of long, intricate RPG shooters. Not shooters with upgrade paths or Diablo-style RPG mechanics, but actual RPG mechanics.

Or alternately, we should be in the midst of an N64 era split screen multiplayer revival.

Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are prequels to Deus Ex, but yeah, that counts as nostalgia for Shooter RPG's with hacking mechanics.

I recently acquired a little system on a chip computer that runs Android and I've been enjoying playing Android ports of all sorts of games that came out anywhere between twenty and only ten years ago. I think there's a huge market there for the nostalgia crowd.

It's pretty incredible to play GTA San Andreas in 720p at full graphics on a computer that's credit card sized...

I think that era already happened for a while now. Hell it might be ending in five years. I think this because the early 2000s is beginning to enter that era.

Or I could be wrong. The last few movies from the past decade were reboots or adaptations of 80s culture (Transformers, Robocop, etc.). Now there's more movies that center around 90s movies like Jurassic World or Independence Day. I think this nostalgia already happened for a while, it's just that companies are now understanding this.

If what this article says is true, Sandbox games will get old just in time for their 20 year revival to bring them right back again!

As for me.. I can dream...

I can dream... (starts sobbing quietly)

Gotta say, of all the consoles I've played the Playstation 1 is my least favorite one ever. Why? Simple. The graphics problems mentioned here, plus the general feeling of joylessness I got from a lot of the games. Often, it felt like it took away the childish joy that video games used to have, but didn't replace them with anything but bleakness.

But the technical limitations were the biggest problem for me. I get that the first generation of 3D isn't gonna look great, but I can't name a single PS1 game that gave me a feeling that the developers actually managed to realize their vision. Every time, it felt as if they wanted to tell me "We didn't want it to look this way, but the technical limitations were crippling."

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here