Arrival - Aliens Are Here, Now What?

Arrival - Aliens Are Here, Now What?

Arrival is a very strong "first contact" movie.

Read Full Article

Good to read it's not a disater like Interstallar or Contact, though they are sure share the common 'ending problem'.

While it was certainly a fun movie to watch, the ending was a letdown and I feel like it had way more weak plot points than some other space movies.

Still, worth seeing once, but I don't think I'd see it again after it loses its initial thrill.

"Aliens Are Here, Now What?"

Well, I guess we can start by building a wall. ;)

BloodRed Pixel:
Good to read it's not a disater like Interstallar or Contact, though they are sure share the common 'ending problem'.

I actually saw this today and enjoyed it. I think if people have a problem with the ending is that the film isn't quite sure what tone to strike; it's not ambiguous, it's just unsure, whereas audiences are likely to have a more firm opinion about the character's actions. It's not something I'd bother to see again, but worth watching once, especially on the big screen.

Okay, I've only watched the trailer so far, but is the issue of language compatibility ever addressed? In the trailer, the lead character (who I understand is a translator-turned-xenolinguist) is writing the aliens messages in English. Which, having studied the basic concept of communicating with alien life, is absolutely pants-on-head retarded. Use math, you idiots! Even if the aliens understand the concept of written language, there are human-produced languages out there that we can't translate. The two things you start with when communicating with aliens are 1) the ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference (pi) and 2) a 1420MHz RF signal (the spectrum signature produced by transition of two hyperfine levels in neutral hydrogen atoms).

Ravinoff:
Okay, I've only watched the trailer so far, but is the issue of language compatibility ever addressed? In the trailer, the lead character (who I understand is a translator-turned-xenolinguist) is writing the aliens messages in English. Which, having studied the basic concept of communicating with alien life, is absolutely pants-on-head retarded. Use math, you idiots! Even if the aliens understand the concept of written language, there are human-produced languages out there that we can't translate. The two things you start with when communicating with aliens are 1) the ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference (pi) and 2) a 1420MHz RF signal (the spectrum signature produced by transition of two hyperfine levels in neutral hydrogen atoms).

It's semi-addressed; without giving too much away, the aliens have no ability to comprehend basic algebra but more complex mathematics is easy to them (and the reveal makes sense of why). Furthermore, and again there are reasons, the way "we" would go about attempting communication runs completely counter to their conscious comprehension. I would have expected to see more "maths" and numbers amongst the learning montage scenes, but the movie has to be sold to the mainstream and Hollywood has shown time and again its contempt for the intellect of audiences so simply don't use numbers when "feels" will do.

Thanks for the review Marter ... I was debating whether this movie would be a bore fest or be on par with "You must see on the big screen" kind of movie. A little hesitant to see it because of the ending being a let down, but hey it's the ride that counts right?

Okay, I saw the movie. Short version, it's good. I really can't discuss it in depth without spoilers, but basically, it's good. Pace is slow, but good, cinamatography is good (especially when they first enter the craft), the concept of the alien language is good, it's all around good. It shares a lot of similarities with Interstellar in regards to core ideas/themes, but executes them far better. So, it's good. Short version, I'd reccomend you see it. That said, it's not perfect, at which point, I have to enter spoiler territory:

So, as per the above comments, those are my flaws with the film. It stumbles IMO because it's trying to do too much, when the more basic premise (learning an alien language) is interesting enough in of itself. But still, I think it's quite solid. Not a great film, but still a good one.

Edit: Per comments earlier in the thread, it is explained (and quite well) why mathematics don't work. It's established early on that humanity has tried communicating through number sequences (e.g. Fibonachi), but it's basically because the aliens' very manner of perceiving reality is so different from ours that this form of communication doesn't work.

Hawki:
Just to address one or two of the things you mentioned...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here