Judging By The Cover: Judging Ultima Series

Judging Ultima Series

Judging the Ultima series by the cover.

Watch Video

Ultima 1 was released just as Ultima. The "Ultima 1: The Original" release came later.

How on Earth did the pantsless rider from the cover of the 1986 Ultima I remake fail it make it into this one?

You left out Ultima VIII with the huge flaming pentagram.

BETRYAAAAAAAAL! (sorry. I cannot see anything Ultima related without that popping into my head.)

I wonder if Michael Lund ever got that postcard from Jupiter?

Please do a part 2 of this! There are more Ultima games with covers to rip on. The best jokes were the Sesame Street Count's laughter and "stick your elbows in the air like you're one of the Gumbys from Monty Python."

HomuraDidNothinWrong:
BETRYAAAAAAAAL! (sorry. I cannot see anything Ultima related without that popping into my head.)

But can you tell me what a paladin is?

Hawki:

HomuraDidNothinWrong:

But can you tell me what a paladin is?

ouch man that hurts.

This one could've easily been in two parts, riffing about the details as usual. It feels off when covers are tossed aside as lightly as they are.

Devieus:
This one could've easily been in two parts, riffing about the details as usual. It feels off when covers are tossed aside as lightly as they are.

Could probably do a whole month of it if he really wanted. There's 9 mainline games, 3 expansion packs, 6 spin-offs, at least 2 Box sets I'm aware of, and who knows how many re-releases with altered cover art. You could throw in the manuals (which were often physical copies of an in-game guide to the world) too, if you really wanted.

Pyrian:
Ultima 1 was released just as Ultima. The "Ultima 1: The Original" release came later.

^ This.

The shown cover is from a 1983 version, coming after Ultima II had been released in 1982. If I recall correctly, the first edition of Ultima (I) didn't really come in a box, but a plastic bag, with a quite ugly black-and-white illustration as cover.

Now I wanna marathon Spoony's run-down of all the Ultima games. :3

Guess next week's part two then?
Surely you have proven you can count to seven already, ah, ah!!!

Allright this has been building for a while, but i think judging by the cover is now my favorite series on the escapist and look more forward to it each week then zero punctuation xD

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here