Orwell Review - Becoming Big Brother

Orwell Review - Becoming Big Brother

Orwell is a thought-provoking interactive debate about the politics of privacy and security.

Read Full Article

Kind of apt timing for UK politics. It's a pity it's PC exclusive though as it does intrigue me.

"At no time did it feel like I was playing a game"

Why? It's as much a game as any other. Is it because you aren't running around with a gun shooting things?

Blood Brain Barrier:

Why? It's as much a game as any other. Is it because you aren't running around with a gun shooting things?

The clue was hidden in the next sentence:

"The most immediate impression that I had of Orwell was that it at no time felt like a game, but not in a bad way. The menus mimic the appearance of legitimate software that one would use if they were tasked with investigating people."

It felt real.

StatusNil:

Blood Brain Barrier:

The clue was hidden in the next sentence:

"The most immediate impression that I had of Orwell was that it at no time felt like a game, but not in a bad way. The menus mimic the appearance of legitimate software that one would use if they were tasked with investigating people."

It felt real.

Ah. So in the same way something like "Sniper Elite" (or whatever - I don't play shooters) doesn't feel like a game because it's too realistic.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Ah. So in the same way something like "Sniper Elite" (or whatever - I don't play shooters) doesn't feel like a game because it's too realistic.

I don't know, not sure if you're supposed to play Sniper Elite crouched in some foliage with a deceptively realistic rifle.

ive just started playing it myself and i agree with the review especially about it not feeling like a game to the extent it feels like peoples lives are really in your hands and you can destroy someones life in a matter of seconds with a piece of information passed on

I think this one is parked in my Wishlist somewhere (With ~150 other titles) but not sure if it'll be a priority for a long time. Web Browsing does not sound like gameplay to me.

My significant other and I recently completed this together. It works quite well as a pairs game due to the value of discussions in interpreting and conjecturing the story and its implications. We were immersed int her story and agonized on who to believe, support, or incriminate.

The story was engaging enough that we felt genuine surprise or vindication when a particular suspect's innocence or guilt was revealed. Then, we engaged on whether we SHOULD reveal it.
It is essentially an interactive story with some leeway. The format works and supports the premise. I will likely play-through again another time and choose to reveal or obscure different "truths."

Steam has a good discussion group divided into days/chapters for in depth discussions and interpretations which was worth the visit afterward to see other people's take on the story.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here