Zero Punctuation: Gravity Rush 2

Gravity Rush 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Gravity Rush 2.

Watch Video

I unfortunately gave up on this game, eventhough I quite liked the first one.

There were just too many small annoyances that snuck into this game...

- Forced stealth when there's no dedicated stealth mechanic.
- Side missions that involved you having to run around aimlessly and pressing the square button around npc's in the hope one would eventually point you into the right direction.
- Combat scenarios that called for precise actions when the controls allow for anything but.
- THAT FUCKING FRISBEE GAME WITH THE GODDAMN DOG!!!!!

And the icing on the cake is that you never know what you're going to get for finishing a side quest until you finish it. I could've busted my hump getting some delivery shit done, and all I'll get awarded with is a prop to use in photos.

It's a real shame, because I like this setting, I like these characters, and I like Kat (Seriously, when the last time we had a girly female protagonist in a AAA game?), but the design philosophy of this game feels like it's straight from the early 2000s.

The first had its own set of problems, but I overlooked them cause I was having fun. So I have a good feeling I can do the same with this one, especially since it's a game I've been highly anticipating after seeing the original teaser for it years ago. The extra areas, enemies, and powers seem like just enough to satisfy my urge to fling myself into stuff at break neck speed all over again

Bad Yahtzee! The best Pixaresque storytelling is not found in the series with the talking cars!

God I remember when my ex made me watch Amelie. What a god awful, disturbing and creepy movie. Its basically the Shining, but everyone is rooting for the insane person.

Have noticed Japanese anime styled games seem to love drawn out tutorialising. Though to be honest I haven't played loads, and some western games do it also.
I am too poor for all these recent titles anyhow, financially and timelly...? One is being invested to create the other so they can eventually be swapped around. Maybe.

Blonde flying girl with magical talking cat, that brings Sabrina Teenage Witch flashbacks, and whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.

Two of my favorite games, VVVVVV and Mario Galaxy have a gravity mechanic, and I've tried to get into the Gravity Rush series for this, but the more I hear about the games, the less I want to play it. Maybe I'll get them at some point, but right now Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn have my attention, interest and money.

To anyone still interested in this game the questions about Kat's past do get resolved. There's a whole final chapter to the game that Yahtzee clearly missed.

Django03:
To anyone still interested in this game the questions about Kat's past do get resolved. There's a whole final chapter to the game that Yahtzee clearly missed.

Missed, straight up admitted to not finishing, it's all the same

Yahtzee, you missed the most blatant punchline about the boardgame! I'm very disappointed.

You know why all these games have selfies? Because Grand Theft Auto V has selfies. I know, I know, Wind Waker HD beat it to the punch, and Tearaway almost certainly had selfies programmed into the game when GTAV came out, despite itself not being released yet, but... it was one of the biggest releases of the decade. The voice game of a generation. And what GTA does, Ubisoft Watch Dogs will copy.

For what it's worth, it was a reasonable addition to Dead Rising, what with the camera already being a large part of that game. Its increased presence everywhere else, though? Studios are just jumping on the popular features train like always. Give Call of Duty a few years to catch up and we can induct selfies into the overused-even-when-they-clearly-don't-fit hall of fame, along with:

• Stat growth "RPG elements"
  • Climbing towers to turn hostile regions friendly
  • Healing by hiding behind walls
  • Arbitrary play limits that require either recharging or microtransactions
  • Sandboxes that compete for pure size while either leaving the area empty or filling it with copy-pasted filler content
  • Going prone
  • And last but not least, everyone's favorite '80s classic: score counters that don't do anything.

P.S. Thanks

Django03:

I don't know if 'missed' is the right word when he wrote right in the end card he's not putting up with 'true ending' bollocks. While we can debate the merits of whether someone producing content should or shouldn't be obligated to it until we're blue in the face, personally I'm getting real sick of stories that determinedly cross their arms and refuse to conclude until I do the kind of chores I'm usually trying to avoid in real life, re-play the entire game at controller-snapping difficulty, and/or endure some other inane artificial-lengthening.

MoltenSilver:

Django03:

I don't know if 'missed' is the right word when he wrote right in the end card he's not putting up with 'true ending' bollocks. While we can debate the merits of whether someone producing content should or shouldn't be obligated to it until we're blue in the face, personally I'm getting real sick of stories that determinedly cross their arms and refuse to conclude until I do the kind of chores I'm usually trying to avoid in real life, re-play the entire game at controller-snapping difficulty, and/or endure some other inane artificial-lengthening.

I was pointing it out because the end card is easy to miss compared to Yahtzee saying aloud that Kat's past wasn't resolved in the story. Which is just plain wrong.

Also it's not a 'true ending' it's literally the last quarter or so of the game. All you have to do is talk to the shining girl NPC a few times when you get control back after the credits and new story missions will open up. There's no replaying the game or collecting 100 golden farts scattered throughout the world or whatever. Just talk to an npc that's labelled in the games map.

Django03:
after the credits

Story content should not be after the credits, and any developer who puts it there deserves for reviewers and gamers to completely miss it. Post-credits content should be exclusively bonus stuff.

P.S. Thanks

I loved being able to fly around in this world again, but the stealth sections were pretty grating.

Shame that Yahtzee seemed to have missed the final post-credits chapters though. I thought that was the part of the story with the most legitimate pay-off.

It always weirds me out when Yahtzee says he likes a character who's from a Japanese game, such as Kat and the gal from Lollipop Chainsaw. Is it because they're not portrayed as gloomy and "serious"?

Covarr:

Django03:
after the credits

Story content should not be after the credits, and any developer who puts it there deserves for reviewers and gamers to completely miss it. Post-credits content should be exclusively bonus stuff.

P.S. Thanks

Agreed, that sounds just asinine. Credits shouldn't roll until at least the main story missions are over and done with. The last big game I recently completed was Arkham Knight, and that one didn't roll the credits until I did EVERY mission.

Why am I apparently the only one who sees old Escapist ads instead of the videos? Is this some sort of bizarre punishment for a perceived sleight to whoever the heck runs the site these days?

Very entertaining review and he made some really good points. HOWEVER...It's become rather obvious that he did not finish the final arc of the story. There's not a total of two arcs. There is actually three. It's weird how they handled the story missions of the game. Because when you finish chapter 20, they give you this ending credits sequence which leaves you thinking that there is no proper closure to the story. However, after those credits, you will see a shining girl appear before Kat. After that you're required to find the shining girl in each four different areas of Hekseville, which is easy, because you just need to look at the icons of the map.

After that, you can continue the story that gives you Kat's origins and the actual closure to the whole story of Gravity Rush. But it seems to me that Escapist didn't know that. I don't blame him. I was confused and I had to browse the internet to figure out what I had to do do get those final few chapters. If you guys played the story missions all the way to chapter 20, you're not done yet. There is a total of 27 chapters.

So Escapist, I'm still puzzled on whether or not you really like this game. But if you're down and you're curious about how the rest of the story plays out, just find the shining girl four more times and the final story missions will be available.

Also closure to the 'lost children' arc will be free DLC on March.

There won't be a Gravity Rush 3. The story is done.

Django03:

I just finished the "true ending" and it made me wonder if they had conceived the series as a trilogy, but because the first one didn't do too well and they weren't sure if this one would or not they cancelled the third game and stuck an abridged version of it's narrative onto the end of this one

Forced stealth sections are the worst. I still rage over one particular stealth section in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 where a boss was hunting you through a garden - if he found you, it was back to the entrance of the level, plus you took damage. Not only was the segment incredibly frustrating, but as soon as you made it through the section, you just fought the boss head-on anyway. There was no reason you were able to fight him then as opposed to before, no statues you destroyed to power him down, no traps you lead him into in order to weaken him, you just straight up fought him. The worst part? He was one of the easier bosses in the game.

Aw man, just from watching some of the gameplay, this looks like an incredible amount of fun. Too bad it's a console exclusive.

Are there any other games that aim for that kind of mobility focused combat, with the jumping, teleporting and stuff? I liked the Platinum Games action like Bayonetta and Revengeance, and the Batman/Shadow of Mordor combat stuff, but it's always so rooted to the ground.

Covarr:

Django03:
after the credits

P.S. Thanks

This is nitpicking at this point. Besides several well acclaimed games have done this without being negatively reviewed. Persona 4 has a True Ending but no one gave it guff after you beat the 'final boss' and you had to, just like Gravity Rush 2, talk to NPCs to unlock it.

Honestly I loved the credit sequence fake-out. There I was, having just finished chapter 20 and the second big end-of-act boss fight, ready to continue my journey, when suddenly the credits start to roll. And I'm starting to really worry because there were so many questions left unanswered, so they can't possibly get through all that in a satisfactory manner during the epilogue comics, right? Did they think they were making another game? Did they run out of budget? Did they get screwed by the publisher like MGSV? They promised that this was going to be the conclusion, that we were going to get the real answers, they can't just leave it like this! So I sit back and start watching the ending comics, and it's normal epilogue stuff except wait, that was a major plot development. And isn't that guy dead? And waitwaitwait that's a NEW story thread that they are just starting now! Wait shit, who's that girl, is she somebody I know in a weird art style or is she new? And then suddenly I crash right back out of epilogue narration into gameplay, at the first meeting between Kat and this mysterious girl.

And then I get seven more chapters that reveal everything and bring the series to an extremely satisfying conclusion.
(except for the lost children and the Ark, but they planned that as a DLC and then decided to release it free to everybody so it'll be wrapped up nicely in a month or two)
(Okay and also Singlor and Nala's time travel adventure, which could technically be left where GR1 dropped it but that would be kind of unsatisfying)

Oh, and it's not any kind of bonus TRUE ENDING that requires 100% completion or multiple playthroughs or any of that junk. To unlock the last seven chapters all you need to do is go through like four conversations, which are clearly marked on your map, and if you haven't been doing every conversation on the map already then you've been willfully ignoring like 1/3 of the story so that's all on you.

Covarr:

Django03:
after the credits

P.S. Thanks

Explains why he missed the last three quarters of Kid Icarus Uprising, at any rate.

Suncatcher:
Honestly I loved the credit sequence fake-out. There I was, having just finished chapter 20 and the second big end-of-act boss fight, ready to continue my journey, when suddenly the credits start to roll. And I'm starting to really worry because there were so many questions left unanswered, so they can't possibly get through all that in a satisfactory manner during the epilogue comics, right? Did they think they were making another game? Did they run out of budget? Did they get screwed by the publisher like MGSV? They promised that this was going to be the conclusion, that we were going to get the real answers, they can't just leave it like this! So I sit back and start watching the ending comics, and it's normal epilogue stuff except wait, that was a major plot development. And isn't that guy dead? And waitwaitwait that's a NEW story thread that they are just starting now! Wait shit, who's that girl, is she somebody I know in a weird art style or is she new? And then suddenly I crash right back out of epilogue narration into gameplay, at the first meeting between Kat and this mysterious girl.

And then I get seven more chapters that reveal everything and bring the series to an extremely satisfying conclusion.
(except for the lost children and the Ark, but they planned that as a DLC and then decided to release it free to everybody so it'll be wrapped up nicely in a month or two)
(Okay and also Singlor and Nala's time travel adventure, which could technically be left where GR1 dropped it but that would be kind of unsatisfying)

Oh, and it's not any kind of bonus TRUE ENDING that requires 100% completion or multiple playthroughs or any of that junk. To unlock the last seven chapters all you need to do is go through like four conversations, which are clearly marked on your map, and if you haven't been doing every conversation on the map already then you've been willfully ignoring like 1/3 of the story so that's all on you.

Right? "Oh, I guess it's just stopping after the big bossfight like the first one did. Oh well I gue-" "Oh hey, third act's over this way. Follow meeeeee~"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here