Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 7

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Resident Evil 7

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Resident Evil 7.

Watch Video

RE6 is my personal favorite game in the series, I think this game was OK but not really scary.

Sigh this dissing of the old school Resident Evils prior to 4 upsets me so. Especially when it had the cooler and more intimidating monster designs than both 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined I mean look at these things:

I figured this one would be right up Yahtzee's ally. The beginning of the game is absolutely rock solid and Jack really is a fun antagonist. Still he is right about it shifting focus into action in the later half. The game would have been better served if Jack had been the central threat throughout the entire thing.

Samtemdo8:
Sigh this dissing of the old school Resident Evils prior to 4 upsets me so. Especially when it had the cooler and more intimidating monster designs than both 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined I mean look at these things:

The art work is way more intimidating than the actual low poly models.

Calling this game racist is just as silly as calling RE5 racist.

The Bakers were good people who got messed up by the virus. The game isn't trying to say "look at how crazy and backwards white people are!" Same deal with the Spaniards and Africans in RE4 & 5.

I just realized something, Yahtzee already gave enough of his thoughts on RE4 enough for that to constitute as a review. But with Final Fantasy VII, another game he has strong opinion of we never heard enough and considering the remake coming I think his review on that might be his best yet. I am looking forward to that.

Yahtzee made it sound like this game is more unintentionally hilarious than RE4's plot was.

Johnny Novgorod:

Samtemdo8:

Have you not seen the Remake?

but yahtzee arent you terribly afraid of theme park mascots?

Johnny Novgorod:

Samtemdo8:

Yeah, but there's no need we can't have something the ones like in the artwork now.

LordTerminal:
Yahtzee made it sound like this game is more unintentionally hilarious than RE4's plot was.

Well its important to remember that even though its stolen ideas from other, better, horror games, its still a Resident Evil game. Its still about a virus somehow turning everyone feral crazy and able to sprout limbs and organs using no genetic mass whatsoever. Its closer to Tukcer and Dale vs Evil than Texas Chainsaw massacre.

Samtemdo8:

Not me, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks many people are looking at the early RE games through rose-tinted glasses.

bazingabro:
Calling this game racist is just as silly as calling RE5 racist.

The Bakers were good people who got messed up by the virus. The game isn't trying to say "look at how crazy and backwards white people are!" Same deal with the Spaniards and Africans in RE4 & 5.

Yahtzee was joking.

So, I noticed that this game has the subtitle Biohazard. And in Japan Resident Evil is known as Biohazard.

So is this game called Biohazard: Biohazard in Japan?

So, how is this game connected to the other Resident Evils? At least 4 had Leon Kennedy, back from RE2, proving that reusing previous player characters isn't always a bad thing.

Catfood220:
So, I noticed that this game has the subtitle Biohazard. And in Japan Resident Evil is known as Biohazard.

So is this game called Biohazard: Biohazard in Japan?

Nope, in Japan it's called Biohazard 7: Resident Evil.

No, really, that's not a joke.

Darth_Payn:
So, how is this game connected to the other Resident Evils? At least 4 had Leon Kennedy, back from RE2, proving that reusing previous player characters isn't always a bad thing.

darkrage6:

Samtemdo8:

Not me, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks many people are looking at the early RE games through rose-tinted glasses.

But I own the games right now and play them consistantly. And barring the original first one (and to a degree Code: Veronica) they all hold up well.

Well shit the bed, he likes it.

My favourite comment was how Capcom figured out how to write a good story; get someone else to do it.

To be fair, I would love to kill gophers with fire grenades. It might cause a problem in areas with tall dry grass but oops, too late the pin has been pulled!

bjj hero:
My favourite comment was how Capcom figured out how to write a good story; get someone else to do it.

I quite liked that remark as well.

I forget who it was - I wanna say it was either Jim on his podcast or someone on TotalBiscuit's podcast - that pointed this out, but someone had noted that the Resident Evil series seems to follow its own special Rule Of Three.

-First Game is pretty good.
-Second game is not so bad.
-Third game shits itself.
Rinse and repeat, so we get
-Fourth game is pretty good.
-Fifth game is not so bad.
-Sixth game shits itself.
If the pattern holds again, well get another rinse and repeat:
-Seventh game is pretty good.
-Eighth game won't be so bad.
-Ninth game is gonna shit itself.

RJ 17:
I forget who it was - I wanna say it was either Jim on his podcast or someone on TotalBiscuit's podcast - that pointed this out, but someone had noted that the Resident Evil series seems to follow its own special Rule Of Three.

If it was possible to like or star a post, I would do it to this. It's spot on.

RJ 17:

But aren't there like...30 other Resident Evil games mixed in there? Outbreak, the Codes, something about railroads, Coke Zero, that one with the thing, and all the others.

Samtemdo8:

darkrage6:

Samtemdo8:

But I own the games right now and play them consistantly. And barring the original first one (and to a degree Code: Veronica) they all hold up well.

I strongly disagree, I think 2 and 3 have aged horribly(hopefully the remake of 2 will fix the flaws the original had).

Silentpony:

RJ 17:

But aren't there like...30 other Resident Evil games mixed in there? Outbreak, the Codes, something about railroads, Coke Zero, that one with the thing, and all the others.

Not to mention the REmakes and REvelations

Best not to mention the Umbrella spin-off disasters either

Samtemdo8:

Yeah, me too. Many early 3D PS1 games nowadays look like shit but the pre-rendered backgrounds still look great in 2 and 3, not so much in 1 but we have Remake for that.

RJ 17:

Weird, Nemesis was always my favourite. Why do you think it was so much worse than the first two?

Samtemdo8:

...where's Nemesis ya bastard? ;p

Samtemdo8:

Zero wants a word with you.

RJ 17:

...da fuq?

The list ignores mainstream entries like Code: Veronica and Zero, but even keeping it to the numbered entries...well, to each their own, but how the heck is RE1>RE2>RE3? While my personal view is RE3>RE2>RE1, most people consider RE2 to be the best of the early games.

Silentpony:

RJ 17:

Well they are talking about the numbered games, and in that particular area, there does see to be an almost Star Trek like pattern.

Quality in regards to spin offs is a lot more erratic from what I've heard, although they've been taking a bit of a nose dive recently. *Looks at Umbrella Corps* Jesus Christ.

Silentpony:

Indeed, but clearly the person who made that observation (again, I forget who it was/where I heard it) was focusing on the "main series" (i.e. the numbered games).

Hawki:
...da fuq?

The list ignores mainstream entries like Code: Veronica and Zero, but even keeping it to the numbered entries...well, to each their own, but how the heck is RE1>RE2>RE3? While my personal view is RE3>RE2>RE1, most people consider RE2 to be the best of the early games.

Regarding the missing games: see above. :P

Regarding personal tastes: I've only ever played the first game and RE5...and I actually really enjoyed RE 5. So indeed: personal tastes, and all. Again, I was just recounting an observation that I heard someone bring up on a podcast.

Major_Tom:

Weird, Nemesis was always my favourite. Why do you think it was so much worse than the first two?

See above. That list wasn't one that was based on my personal feelings (though - from what I've heard from friends that have played through the entire series - I'm inclined to agree with it). But I'm certainly not in any position to start bashing any of the games in the series since I'm not really that deep into the series in the first place, so by no means should my original post be seen as me attacking any of the games you like from the series. Again, I was just recounting an observation someone else had made.

darkrage6:

Samtemdo8:

darkrage6:

I strongly disagree, I think 2 and 3 have aged horribly(hopefully the remake of 2 will fix the flaws the original had).

And what was the problem that made RE 2 age and don't bring up the tank controls and fix camara angles because seriously, you are talking to a person that beaten Resident Evil 2 in under 2 hours.

RJ 17:
*snip*

Well, just for the record, as someone who actually played the games, I think whoever wrote that list is full of shit.

Major_Tom:

RJ 17:
*snip*

Well, just for the record, as someone who actually played the games, I think whoever wrote that list is full of shit.

Fair enough. :^)

Samtemdo8:

darkrage6:

Samtemdo8:

And what was the problem that made RE 2 age and don't bring up the tank controls and fix camara angles because seriously, you are talking to a person that beaten Resident Evil 2 in under 2 hours.

Well good for you, but I don't care how good you are at video games, that alone does not mean RE 2 has aged well.

Blazing Hero:
I figured this one would be right up Yahtzee's ally. The beginning of the game is absolutely rock solid and Jack really is a fun antagonist. Still he is right about it shifting focus into action in the later half. The game would have been better served if Jack had been the central threat throughout the entire thing.

Oh man, what if it had turned out that Jack was a disgruntled Employee of Umbrella that was fired for some shit, and to get revenge he fucking experimented on his daughter Evelynn but shit when totally wrong while Mia was actually babysitting!

That line about Farmer Shovelfuck bursting out of the medicine cabinet killed me. I don't know why, but I'm still in tears.

So, I have to say I really, really like the look of this game. I haven't played a horror game in many years, because most of the big and popular ones (both indie and mainstream) gravitate towards jump scares a lot of the time, which I cannot handle well if they happen all the time. Is this game better about that sort of thing?

Also, I've never played a Resident Evil game. Ever. With the series having been described as a pile of mangled octopus giblets regarding plot and structure, is this a proper reboot? I would be awfully disappointed if it turned out I had to read up on over a dozen games worth of story in order to be able to follow what's going on in this game. Can I, as a potential new player to the series, expect to be able to comprehend the events unfolding on-screen?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here