Zero Punctuation: Yakuza 0

Yakuza 0

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Yakuza 0.

Watch Video

I've been playing this game almost non-stop. I thought the game would be less dramatic and have less features after all of the content packed into Yakuza 5, boy was I wrong. >.>
Awesome video~ I agree that the choice to include three or four different variety of cutscene types was a bit strange.

Was hoping he'd review this, but it's hard to fault him really. Personally, I'm really into it, but I'm also a fan.

I think I got 5 for free on PS+. Got to see how satisfying that is before spending $60 on this one too!

Fun review as always.

It's one of those games that gets away with forcing you into side quests / side missions. You dislike them, but then you're reminded as to why you're doing it and the ride never ends (in a good way). I certainly love the uniqueness behind the Yakuza series and i'm happy to see they made yet another successful game. I think only 1-2 of them out of the six games were alright compared to the other awesome ones so they're on a good spree so far.

Well this certainly is a good reminder to finally check out the Yakuza series now.

I dunno. Lots of people like these games, but they seem very very tedious.

So basically Japanese GTA? I know that may sound apples to oranges for fans of the series, but the Yakuza games are definitely hard to market or explain what their appeal is. I actually dare someone to recommend me each one using 10 words or less.

Silentpony:

They kind of are.

Which is why, if that's a turn off for you, you just watch a long play of the game(s) by someone like the Super Best Friends Play crew. That way you get to experience the zany hilarity and over-the-top action sequences of the series (along with some decent commentary and banter, depending on who you watch) but with the added bonus of a "skip-ahead" function.

Igor-Rowan:
So basically Japanese GTA? I know that may sound apples to oranges for fans of the series, but the Yakuza games are definitely hard to market or explain what their appeal is. I actually dare someone to recommend me each one using 10 words or less.

Challenge accepted.

"Japanese GTA with fewer cars and more pachinko (and karaoke)."

I'm probably not the first to say it, but I think a good name for a brothel would be "Whores R Us".

Silentpony:

Their cutscenes certainly are. Do you remember how the guys from Unskippable made them funnier? Or at least not boring?

Yahtzee, you ordinary person. Try as you might, you can't hide your affection for these games. Despite the nitpicks, this seems more like a love letter to the series than anything. Which is understandable, the Yakuza series is kind of like a force of nature, lots of people seem to dig it. Sounds like a camp-tastic romp through the seedy under-belly of Japan, and who wouldn't find that appealing.

You may be interested to know that apparently the real life Yakuza are the first to do volunteer work after disasters in Japan. I hear they hand out food and clear rubble away, so maybe the altruism in the game isn't as off the mark as it may seem.

That said, they're still a criminal organization and I wouldn't condone it, but still. If you must have a crime syndicate, might as well have a polite one, right?

Igor-Rowan:

Japanese fight club with mini games. You'll just have to imagine the other four.

Silentpony:

they are in a cathartic way. It's like the anti-junk food, tastes weird but leaves you satisfied.

Igor-Rowan:

JRPG with real-time combat, set in realistic modern Tokyo.

I usually don't do a lot of those side activities like karaoke, bowling, batting cages, hostess clubs; but I do at least try out each activity. I think that's kind of the point: if you are the sort of person that goes for 100% completion you can sink your teeth in it, but even if you're not their mere existence does a lot to make the world feel so much more alive.

Still can't watch videos :(

DaCosta:
Snip

Devieus:
Snip

OK, you guys have convinced me, maybe I'll get this one since I'm a sucker for 100% completion, but I feel burned out lately, so this one will'll have to sit out.

Don't worry about your inability to properly pronounce Japanese, Yahtzee. I took two years of it in college and my accent was described as flawless by my professor (when I could actually remember what words I was supposed to be using), but when I pronounce Japanese names, I get called out for being a weeaboo and told I should just pronounce them normally.
What I'm saying is that it's a game you can't win and people should fuck off, which is an attitude I think you'd appreciate.

A shout out to Whores & Crisps? I didn't think Yahtzee did celebrity endorsements.

Am i the only one who can't see the video? all i get is a loop of an old escapist ad. i get this for every video on the website.

No matter how often I hear someone who likes these games talk me through them, I just cant bring myself to try them. I dont think I get it.

finally a game that understands my needs.Killing npcs in disco outfits to death.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here