Get Out - White People are Scary

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Get Out - White People are Scary

Get Out is one of the most interesting, satisfying, and unnerving horror movies in recent memory.

Read Full Article

"But movies are primarily made for a white audience"

What?

Cold Shiny:

What?

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf

Pg. 12. At least in the USA and Canada, the white audience is larger than all other ethnicities combined, at 56% of frequent moviegoers (the runner up is Hispanics at 23%, well above their portion of the national race makeup). Besides that, the industry is largely dominated by white Americans both behind and in front of the camera, who tend to make movies for other white Americans.

I might have to let my brother know about this. He and I both quite like horror movies. He tends more towards the paranormal stuff, but I'm trying to branch him into other horror movies. It's surprising to see Peele, of all people, pull off a great horror movie, but good on him.

Sorry but I lol at the header image cos it look like he is crying being forced fed by the popcorn!

I knew about this when I watch Moviebob upcoming 2017 movies to look forward too and I'm suprised it was good to the point it has gotten 100% on RottenTomato (last time I've check days ago).

I send the link to my coworker cos he is into horror movies and he actually want to go watched it now!

Personally I loathe the vast majority of traditional horror movies, so I have to ask, is this more of a thriller or suspense or more of a jumpscare-style traditional horror?

hentropy:
Personally I loathe the vast majority of traditional horror movies, so I have to ask, is this more of a thriller or suspense or more of a jumpscare-style traditional horror?

The go to comparison I'm seeing a lot is the 70's stepford wives movie, so more of a thriller for the most part.

Hoping my local gets this, and soon.

hentropy:

There are very few jump startles.

This does interest me. I'm kind of bored and annoyed at how every horror movie these days seems to be about bland, middle-class, white families moving into creaky houses and getting possessed. Considering how cheap horror movies are to make, you'd think people would be more adventurous with them.

Wait...it IS a horror movie about racism?! 'cause everyone I've talked to who's seen it says its hysterical! Its an Evil-Dead comedy! Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo over-the-top and campy and self-aware it can't, literally, not be a dark comedy movie.

Silentpony:
a dark comedy movie.

maninahat:
This does interest me. I'm kind of bored and annoyed at how seemingly every horror movie these days seems to be about bland, middle-class, white families moving into creaky houses and getting possessed. Considering how cheap horror movies are to make, you'd think people would be more adventurous with them.

The worst part of it is that they aren't even being possessed by anything interesting, it's all the same fluff

But anyway I'm glad it's gotten such good reviews I will have to give it a watch.

Caramel Frappe:
Well, i'm honestly relieved to know I was wrong about the movie. When I watched the trailer, I thought it was going to be bad mainly because of the movie 'trying to hard' vibe. However seeing the praise it's getting and the compliments, this puts me in a rather good mood. I should go and see this, although i'm kind of a wuss when it comes to horror. Might rent it instead when it comes out on DvD so I can handle it better on my normal sized TV lol.

Oh noes a scary movie is too scary so I'm gonna watch an action movie, cuz that's what people like.

:p

So the made a horror/dark comedy movie about a standard progressives family (that black turtle neck and thick rim glasses :D ). Butt clenched over any mention of being liberal and colour-blind when it comes to race (because that's so racist!) - we gotta remind black guy about his black 'heritage'. And if roles are switched - remind that white boy about his white 'heritage'. Do that all the time but proclaim it isn't racist! :D Unless they go for their precious Chelsea, Malia or Shasha... then horror time! :D

Good times! ;)

Thunderous Cacophony:

Cold Shiny:

What?

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf

Pg. 12. At least in the USA and Canada, the white audience is larger than all other ethnicities combined, at 56% of frequent moviegoers (the runner up is Hispanics at 23%, well above their portion of the national race makeup). Besides that, the industry is largely dominated by white Americans both behind and in front of the camera, who tend to make movies for other white Americans.

Whites being a large demographic doesn't exactly equal "most movies being targeted to whites". Look no further than the movie we're referencing as evidence, the antagonists are white and there are serious overtones of racism, so the idea of it being marketed towards whites kind of falls flat. Yet so far it's been a big commercial success, it's almost as if the market isn't decided by the whims of a homogenous white majority.

It's kind of telling that a successful movie with racial tones that was written, story-boarded and directed by a black man is still painted up as "the white man's insidious agenda!". The movie seemingly goes out of it's way to tear the wound of off racial tensions, but it's still somehow the machination of some unseen, super-white hand that controls the market.

That's... interesting.

Silentpony:
Wait...it IS a horror movie about racism?! 'cause everyone I've talked to who's seen it says its hysterical! Its an Evil-Dead comedy! Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo over-the-top and campy and self-aware it can't, literally, not be a dark comedy movie.

It can't be both? I mean, Evil Dead is probably an almost perfect example of this kind of blend. Still a horror/slasher at heart but with healthy dose of camp. Evil Dead 2 doubles down on that, but not until Army of Darkness series turns into comedy foremost with some horror elements.

Scream was a vaguely humourous deconstruction while still maintaining a serious face and story. I think that is a bit of an artform in itself, so that people who want to see the tiny subtler humours in life can appreciate them, while those who rather wouldn't or don't, can appreciate the film's direction as it is. Am sure the latest Evil Dead was great at this too.
Haven't seen this, so can't say if it is the case here. But it did initially come off that way in the synopsis. If it IS so, then how long the will it be before a tone-deaf scary-movie style "parody" of this will be made?

*Sigh* But of course a film like this would bring up online race debates.

Ebola_chan:

Thunderous Cacophony:

Cold Shiny:

What?

Whites being a large demographic doesn't exactly equal "most movies being targeted to whites". Look no further than the movie we're referencing as evidence, the antagonists are white and there are serious overtones of racism, so the idea of it being marketed towards whites kind of falls flat. Yet so far it's been a big commercial success, it's almost as if the market isn't decided by the whims of a homogenous white majority.

It's kind of telling that a successful movie with racial tones that was written, story-boarded and directed by a black man is still painted up as "the white man's insidious agenda!". The movie seemingly goes out of it's way to tear the wound of off racial tensions, but it's still somehow the machination of some unseen, super-white hand that controls the market.

That's... interesting.

Hmm, a very "it's snowing today, so much for global warming" handwave of the initial post. And yes I know those two issues are completely different, before jumping down that pointless rabbit hole, it's just the deflection being brandished is rather similar. Am not hanging around to see this turn into another circular thread though. Just thought it best to point that was a rather weak form of dismissal.

Xsjadoblayde:

Hmm, a very "it's snowing today, so much for global warming" handwave of the initial post. And yes I know those two issues are completely different, before jumping down that pointless rabbit hole, it's just the deflection being brandished is rather similar. Am not hanging around to see this turn into another circular thread though. Just thought it best to point that was a rather weak form of dismissal.

What? I honestly don't know what you're talking about with the whole 'apples and oranges' comparison. I was pointing out that movies aren't blanket-ly made by white people for white people, looking no further than this movie as proof. Not that there aren't a million other fucking examples to point to. It wasn't so much a dismissal as much as me pointing out a flaw in logic. And I'm certainly not "defending" anything, I'm not the one who was making the initial argument. And calling what I said "weak" without pointing out why is way, way more dismissive than anything I said.

Do you really think things like race can't be brought up without descending into a spiral of hatred? I mean, I don't think so at least.

I was pleasantly surprised by it. The comedy was done just right the main character was well-written/acted. Even if you're not into horror, it's worth a watch.

Ebola_chan:
The movie seemingly goes out of it's way to tear the wound of off racial tensions, but it's still somehow the machination of some unseen, super-white hand that controls the market.

I dislike the mindset that movie writers shouldn't tread certain topics so as to not disturb the masses (or rile up racial tension). Unless the movie is done in the same vein of 1915's Birth of a Nation, it's not causing anything that wasn't already happening.

TheMigrantSoldier:
I was pleasantly surprised by it. The comedy was done just right the main character was well-written/acted. Even if you're not into horror, it's worth a watch.

Ebola_chan:
The movie seemingly goes out of it's way to tear the wound of off racial tensions, but it's still somehow the machination of some unseen, super-white hand that controls the market.

I dislike the mindset that movie writers shouldn't tread certain topics so as to not disturb the masses (or rile up racial tension). Unless the movie is done in the same vein of 1915's Birth of a Nation, it's not causing anything that wasn't already happening.

Don't misinterpret, I absolutely love movies that tackle sensitive issues, provided they treat such topics with the proper respect and context. I believe movies that go against the grain to explore the dark side of humanity can be great, and many of my personal favorites do. Topics like drug use, violence, rape and racism shouldn't be off limits to talented directors. Django Unchained from 2012 is a great example of a director using tones of racism really competently.

That being said, I do take issue with people taking a movie with racial overtones that was written and directed by a black man, and has a black lead, and trying to pretend it's the product of some exclusively white Hollywood machine that makes movies for an exclusively white audience. Because obviously that's fucking ridiculous.

I think the real "social lesson" here is that colored people can be racist as fuck, and white people will A: applaud them for being "empowered", B:apologize for being white, and then finally C:pay money for a movie ticket stub that they can wave around saying "look how #woke I am!" White people need to REALLY wake up, stop apologizing, and start calling this racist trash out for what it is.

Let's see a white Hollywood director make a horror movie about a white man who makes a wrong turn into "the hood" and what happens to him when all the wonderful colored people see him. I'm sure all of you will heap the same kind of praise upon it for tackling this difficult social issue, right? Give me a break...

Jiub:

Let's see a white Hollywood director make a horror movie about a white man who makes a wrong turn into "the hood" and what happens to him when all the wonderful colored people see him. I'm sure all of you will heap the same kind of praise upon it for tackling this difficult social issue, right? Give me a break...

I believe it was called backhawk down...

Ive not seen the film yet so will reserve judgement.

Jiub:
I think the real "social lesson" here is that colored people can be racist as fuck, and white people will A: applaud them for being "empowered", B:apologize for being white, and then finally C:pay money for a movie ticket stub that they can wave around saying "look how #woke I am!" White people need to REALLY wake up, stop apologizing, and start calling this racist trash out for what it is.

And of course we should totally be listening to the definitely-not-racist person who still says "colored people" like it's the fucking 1950s. Still butthurt that you have to use the same restroom as them, eh buddy?

Steve the Pocket:

And of course we should totally be listening to the definitely-not-racist person who still says "colored people" like it's the fucking 1950s. Still butthurt that you have to use the same restroom as them, eh buddy?

I'm not a racist, actually. Don't call names. By that logic, you should stop listening to every racist BLM member, or "#woke" white progressive elitist college student, because they use the term "people of color" every time they form a sentence. What's different about adding the word "of" that makes it ok?

By the way, if I'm so racist, let's see you go down to Seminary Drive in Oakland and try to walk down the length of the street from end-to-end. See what happens to you, then tell me I'm racist. Wake up, Steve-O.

So, how scary does it get when it dips into traditional horror elements? I would like to see this with my girlfriend but she has a very low tolerance for horror.

OK, I just came back from seeing Get Out. I probably wouldn't have seen it if it wasn't written & directed by Jordan Peele. Overall, I really liked the movie. The whole cast was great. There was a great visual and audio feel for the movie. The first hypnosis scene is a good example of what I am talking about.

Having said that, I wished the movie was a little more clever. I was hoping that the main character seeing racism everywhere was him covering up his anxiety of meeting his girlfriend's parents. Instead, every white character in the movie was evil. So, yes, this movie is racist. Not in the way that I felt offended by. There have been movies that featured all black characters as villains. Westerns constantly showing Native Americans as villainous savages. So, this movie is not that different in that sense.

I think this movie is kind of insightful of how black people view white culture. I sense there is even some commentary of how black people see other black people who are educated and living in nice, predominately white neighborhood. If you want to dissect racial politics with this movie. There is a lot to unpack. This movie works as a horror movie and social commentary.

Jiub:

Steve the Pocket:

I'm not a racist, actually...they use the term "people of color" every time they form a sentence. What's different about adding the word "of" that makes it ok?

Okay, so, many people have explained this over the years, myself included, and I'll explain--again, and patiently--why there's a subtle but overwhelmingly powerful difference between the terms "colored people" and "people of color".

Firstly, 'colored people' is a racist term. Don't use it.
'People of color' is not a racist term. Use it.

Why? Here's a few points about the history and usage of each term:

Colored people

◊ Invented by whites to attribute to negroes/non-whites, during times of segregation.
    ◊ Enforced by whites upon said minorities without consulting them first (never a "hey, what would you like to be called?")
    ◊ Having the color element first emphasises the color of someone's skin over the fact they're a human being first and foremost.
    ◊ The term is loaded af, having been generally well-used by racists and white supremacists throughout the twentieth century (and beyond, apparently). Much like a swastika was a symbol of peace before 1933, now it's not something one can wear on their sleeve in polite company. As such, should be consigned to the dustbin of shameful history

People of color

◊ Invented by non-whites for non-whites
    ◊ Generally agreed by non-whites as a way of describing themselves ("hey, we'd like to be called this")
    ◊ Preferred usage over 'non-whites' as that's an exclusionary term, and 'people of color' is way more inclusive
    ◊ Having the people element first emphasises the fact they're a human being first and foremost, over the color of their skin

That's the basic gist. It's a way of saying "you [as a white person] don't get to tell me [a person of color] what I am: I have the dignity and agency to be called what I wish, not what has been enforced upon me by you."

Using the term, therefore, is an act of basic human decency.

Now you're enlightened, should you continue to dismiss the difference between these terms as trivial, then the burden is upon you, as a carrier of such knowledge, to defend yourself as being "not-a-racist", because continuing the use of 'coloured people' is akin to saying "I know what they wish to be called, but I choose to continue calling them what I want them to be called". You're denying them agency, respect, and dignity.

Language is powerful, man. It can dehumanise people to an extent where their lives don't matter. History has taught us that with that mindset, bad things can happen. This film, I expect, is trying to show people that these microaggressions do add up, and with that, the subtle difference between two terms are not trivial, and more powerful than you (thus far) have given them credit for.

I hope I've convinced you!

Felstaff:

Jiub:

Steve the Pocket:

I'm not a racist, actually...they use the term "people of color" every time they form a sentence. What's different about adding the word "of" that makes it ok?

Okay, so, many people have explained this over the years, myself included, and I'll explain--again, and patiently--why there's a subtle but overwhelmingly powerful difference between the terms "colored people" and "people of color".

Firstly, 'colored people' is a racist term. Don't use it.
'People of color' is not a racist term. Use it.

Why? Here's a few points about the history and usage of each term:

Colored people

◊ Invented by whites to attribute to negroes/non-whites, during times of segregation.
    ◊ Enforced by whites upon said minorities without consulting them first (never a "hey, what would you like to be called?")
    ◊ Having the color element first emphasises the color of someone's skin over the fact they're a human being first and foremost.
    ◊ The term is loaded af, having been generally well-used by racists and white supremacists throughout the twentieth century (and beyond, apparently). Much like a swastika was a symbol of peace before 1933, now it's not something one can wear on their sleeve in polite company. As such, should be consigned to the dustbin of shameful history

People of color

◊ Invented by non-whites for non-whites
    ◊ Generally agreed by non-whites as a way of describing themselves ("hey, we'd like to be called this")
    ◊ Preferred usage over 'non-whites' as that's an exclusionary term, and 'people of color' is way more inclusive
    ◊ Having the people element first emphasises the fact they're a human being first and foremost, over the color of their skin

That's the basic gist. It's a way of saying "you [as a white person] don't get to tell me [a person of color] what I am: I have the dignity and agency to be called what I wish, not what has been enforced upon me by you."

Using the term, therefore, is an act of basic human decency.

Now you're enlightened, should you continue to dismiss the difference between these terms as trivial, then the burden is upon you, as a carrier of such knowledge, to defend yourself as being "not-a-racist", because continuing the use of 'coloured people' is akin to saying "I know what they wish to be called, but I choose to continue calling them what I want them to be called". You're denying them agency, respect, and dignity.

Language is powerful, man. It can dehumanise people to an extent where their lives don't matter. History has taught us that with that mindset, bad things can happen. This film, I expect, is trying to show people that these microaggressions do add up, and with that, the subtle difference between two terms are not trivial, and more powerful than you (thus far) have given them credit for.

I hope I've convinced you!

What a load of PC bullshit. Do you actually believe this crap, or do you just enjoy the smell of your own farts that much? "Microaggressions"? Oh my god, puh-lease. The fact is, that both terms are exactly the same, and the use of the word "of" doesn't change anything. The word color is either offensive, or it isn't. The only difference is what they've managed to convince liberal white-guilt apologists such as yourself is different about it. If it was offensive, they wouldn't use it themselves every two seconds, much like the dreaded "n-word".

They act like they hate that word so much, yet somehow if you listen to any rap album made by a black person, you'll hear the word about 800 times. It's either OK, or it isn't, and if it was THAT offensive, they wouldn't use it themselves. There's a reason why I don't refer to myself as a "honky" or "cracker", namely, that's not how I want to be called to by others, and I would have a problem with somebody if they did refer to me in that way. If I went around calling myself that, I couldn't exactly cop an attitude about it when other people did too.

The fact is that colored people have never had things better for them, they are always first in line for every social benefit and entitlement, first in line for any college they want, the ONLY race that has managed to guilt the corporate CEOs into instituting a hiring quota, oh excuse me, a DIVERSITY quota so a that a certain amount of that blacks have to be hired regardless if there are more qualified white or Asian candidates, and on and on and on. Yet they still want to play the victim card, insist on being treated a special way, and be called special terms because "black" isn't good enough anymore so now it has to be "people of color". Give me a break.

The only thing you've convinced me of is that there'll never be a shortage of white-guilt college students that will eagerly do the bidding of a bunch of racists who hate them, and want to use them as scapegoats, just to show how "progressive" they are. Equality is one thing, but the colored people are not asking for equality anymore; they're openly advocating racist black supremacy, and the media is acting like that's progress. Racism by blacks against whites is just as wrong as the other way around. Open your eyes.

It's actually a very reasonable argument. I laid out the facts, the history, and the reasoning in a perfectly rational manner.

You responded with no real counter-argument. Despite repeating the phrase "the fact is", without following it up with any cogent facts or argument, you proceeded straight to attacking me (which is called 'ad hominem' - your first logical fallacy, of many) and not backing up your argument with anything but ill-founded opinion. My argument remains sound and untouched by anything you've written. Calling me a white-guilt apologist, amongst other names, (ad hominem) doesn't make my reasoning any less so. You haven't argued your case with any rationality or reason.

Sorry, but that was a very poor excuse for a post you made. Whatever argument you had amongst your embittered rambling, if any, was very weak--so weak I didn't spot it. And I'm a highly educated person, who you know nothing about. I won't thank you for the strawman you created (second logical fallacy) and then drooled your meaningless diatribe at.

Now, being the rational person that I am, let me pick apart some of the things you said. Basically, let me tell you why you're wrong about a lot of things, and how your preconceived notions around race have blinkered you into a problematic mindset, namely: you clearly have a chip on your shoulder about black people. Even when your language is being called out as racist, it emboldens you to use it more, simply because you (incorrectly) judge the person/people you're "arguing" with (if you can call it that) to have certain political leanings (strawman fallacy again). It's pretty pathetic stuff, but never mind. Here goes:

Jiub:
The fact is, that both terms are exactly the same, and the use of the word "of" doesn't change anything.

I've explained why the terms are different. I've given the history around the usage of each term--using real facts! Evidence! I can support everything I said with backed-up historical data! When I say "the fact is..." I can follow it with something using empirical data. You, it appears, can't. (third logical fallacy: irrational anecdotalism) So in this regard, you're wrong.

Jiub:
They act like they hate that word so much, yet somehow if you listen to any rap album made by a black person, you'll hear the word about 800 times.

You're guilty of another logical fallacy here: you're giving false equivalence. "Black people hate X, but black-people-music condones it". You're equating a perceived preference of an entire race (another logical fallacy: racial homogenization) with a culture you attribute to them (again, another fallacy). Has it occurred to you that not all black people wish to be represented by the content of rap lyrics? I'd be mortified if I was a white American, because then people will assume I'm some sort of inbred hick after listening to country music for five minutes. "Whites act like they hate incest so much, yet somehow if you listen to any country music album made by a white person, you'll hear "mah cousin" about 800 times." See? False equivalence. Assuming that rap music speaks for all black people is again very problematic, and it's attitudes like this that's at the very root of racism (rap has been historically counter-cultural to white establishment, which is why it's so provocative in its content, but that's a wider argument to be had elsewhere, at another time).

Jiub:
The fact is that colored people have never had things better for them

I mean... wow. There's straight up racism right there.
Yes, massa, dey bin good servants ain't dey? Now dey should be grateful for de oppo-tunity that dem white folk gave em, massa!
But no, you're right. They should be eternally grateful to the white man for being so beneficent to allow them to continue living as if they were real people. (I've moved past naming all the argumentative sins you've committed, as we've reached 'dangerous disgruntled rambling territory' here)

Jiub:
they are always first in line for every social benefit and entitlement, first in line for any college they want

If you're going to spout off this sort of racist drivel, you could at least back it up with evidence. Show me one statistic--one!--that gives your point any credence. Anything will do. In any case, I doubt you'd ever come to this conclusion without backing up your beliefs with any sort of credible source, would you? So I was wondering if you'd share your sources with the group.

Jiub:
the colored people are not asking for equality anymore; they're openly advocating racist black supremacy

I mean like... damn. This began with "these people wish to be called people of color", and "it's basic common decency", but now it's about... black supremacism? I get the faint whiff of projection here. I mean, your polemic was tawdry racist twaddle, to grandpa-on-the-porch-with-a-shotgun-on-his-lap levels, to begin with. But it crescendoed here.

Steve the Pocket:
we should totally be listening to the definitely-not-racist person who still says "colored people" like it's the fucking 1950s. Still butthurt that you have to use the same restroom as them, eh buddy?

I think we've long since proved that he is!

Just saw the film. Loved it. Any movie Peele makes is an automatic must see for me.

The long winded meltdown Felstaff just shit all over this thread perfectly encapsulates the self-righteous superiority of the politically correct elite that lost Hillary the election. You can act as booksmart as you want to, but it just makes it all the more obvious you've spent too much time in the classroom, and not enough in the real world to have a clue what you're talking about.

Not that I listen to it, but find me one serious country song by a well known artist that glorifies incest, and I'll show you 200 rap songs by mainstream well known artists that gratuitously use the "n-word" (notice the pathetic little dance I have to do there to avoid a ban when it comes to that word, yet I can use the words "honky" and "cracker" free of repercussion; but no way THAT'S a double standard, riiiight?)

You talk about colored people like they're some delicate endangered species that's incapable of being held to the same standards as everyone else. Incapable of handling criticism, incapable of being anything but a victim. I expect them to be held to the same standards and play by the same rules as I do, and THAT makes me a racist? Hate to break it to you, "professor", but YOU'RE the racist!

You want evidence of blacks being first in line for every college? Have you ever heard of something called affirmative action? Or are you willfully ignorant? The only reason most don't take advantage is that they don't have the grades because they refuse to put the work in, and instead choose the BLM narrative of "the evil white devil establishment is keeping me down" when really it's the white establishment that is giving them preferential treatment over their own children. A white kid will always be chosen second to a black child with the same GPA, because they legally have to be. Black people didn't write that law. Misguided white people did.

Blacks want to complain all the time about the police and how none of the officers look like them. I live near Oakland (one of the worst black-on-black crime areas in the country) and there is a huuuuge banner right on the I-580 where everyone in the city can see it saying the OPD is looking for new recruits. The sign has been there for years, and there are multiple youth engagement programs run by the OPD to get into black schools at an early age to engage with young black males in particular. I saw a special report on the local news about the newest crop of young recruits volunteering with the force and decided to play a game called "count the black people". It was over pretty quick because although there were white, latino, and asian volunteers, there wasn't a SINGLE black person. If they want to police their community so bad, why don't they step up when given the opportunity?

The reason is because the black community is sick. Not sick as in morally wrong, but sick as in ill. The values are not being taught to the children, most of whom are growing up without fathers, and they look up to thugs like Tupac instead of finding positive role models. They are taught from a young age to always play the victim card, try to work the system for everything they can, and buy into the fatalist narrative that it's white people's fault their situation sucks. Nobody even bats an eye here when two blacks shoot each other (almost daily occurrence in Oakland), or a 5 year old catches a stray bullet from some gangbanger piece of shit through her bedroom wall while she's sleeping in her own bed, but if the cops shoot a black man even if it's across the fucking country, the plywood starts going up on all the storefronts downtown because evvvverybody knows what's coming.

Until the black community starts looking inward, and starts addressing the problems at the heart of their community, things are always going to suck for them. White people have done as much as they can, (much more than they've done for any other ethnic group) and very few of the opportunities are taken advantage of. There's only so much we can do from the outside,; at some point they need to stop playing the victim, stop fighting the police, stop protecting and putting the thugs on a pedestal, and sop blaming white people for all their problems. When you cross your arms and drag your feet, you shouldn't be surprised when you never get anywhere.

Look, dude, I already summarily executed you in my previous response. You just made exactly the same logical fallacies again. That's known in the business as "a weak-ass reply". I think your own personal meltdown you just had speaks volumes. Lazy stereotyping based on... what, a fading recruitment poster? A single news report about a single recruitment drive? An assumption that black people would want to join the police, given its abhorrent historical record against blacks?

You aren't at the heart of this community you apparently know so much about, you don't know the values of the people you're speaking about, you don't, in fact, know anything about them at all. You can't get your stats right, which gives me the impression you're, once again, pulling these so-called 'facts' out of your ass. You aren't Professor Black Society, PhD. You're a guy who watches the news to get your confirmation bias fix. Perhaps if you actually ever questioned the media you so hungrily devour in order to create this view you have of an entire race, then you might be able to apply some critical thinking once in a while. Perhaps you should go out into the real world, for once, and not just regurgitate what Rush Limbaugh tells you about what's going on in someone else's community, which you have zero worldly experience of, but have an iron-clad opinion of nonetheless. This is called ignorance.

I'm aware you hate poverty so much, but you're taking a narrow view of an impoverished community and ascribing it to an entire race. That's called racism.

Felstaff:
Look, dude, I already summarily executed you in my previous response. You just made exactly the same logical fallacies again. That's known in the business as "a weak-ass reply". I think your own personal meltdown you just had speaks volumes. Lazy stereotyping based on... what, a fading recruitment poster? A single news report about a single recruitment drive? An assumption that black people would want to join the police, given its abhorrent historical record against blacks?

You aren't at the heart of this community you apparently know so much about, you don't know the values of the people you're speaking about, you don't, in fact, know anything about them at all. You can't get your stats right, which gives me the impression you're, once again, pulling these so-called 'facts' out of your ass. You aren't Professor Black Society, PhD. You're a guy who watches the news to get your confirmation bias fix. Perhaps if you actually ever questioned the media you so hungrily devour in order to create this view you have of an entire race, then you might be able to apply some critical thinking once in a while. Perhaps you should go out into the real world, for once, and not just regurgitate what Rush Limbaugh tells you about what's going on in someone else's community, which you have zero worldly experience of, but have an iron-clad opinion of nonetheless. This is called ignorance.

I'm aware you hate poverty so much, but you're taking a narrow view of an impoverished community and ascribing it to an entire race. That's called racism.

HA! Talk about a "weak ass reply"... Your quote "assuming they would even WANT to join the police given its abhorrent historical record against blacks?" gets right to the heart of the issue. They want to bitch all day about their horrible treatment and how there aren't black officers, yet they refuse to step up, put on the badge, and put their own ass on the line. They just expect other people to clean up their mess. That's called victim culture, and you're making excuses for it, which helps keep the community weak. You are actively being part of the problem.

Funny how you stereotype me as some backwards hillbilly who sits in his bomb-shelter listing to Limbaugh all day, while decrying what you see as me stereotyping a whole community. The difference is that you know nothing about me, and therefore have no idea what your talking about, and I'm simply pointing out things that anybody with half a brain can see plain as day. The difference between you and me is I don't cop a smug, self righteous, morally superior attitude and try to talk down to everybody. You of all people are the last person who has any right to tell me to "go out into the real world" since the only conception you have of how the world works is what your liberal bubble safe space doesn't filter out. Talk about ignorance... Seems to me like you choose to be ignorant.

Of course I hate poverty. Who doesn't? So all black people are impoverished and starving according to you? Gee, what a narrow view of an entire race. Better check your privilege, bro. Your moral high ground is slipping...

You want to hold one race to one set of standards, and another to a different set of standards. THAT is called racism. You are a racist. I expect all races and genders to be treated equally under the law, and held to the same standards. No more, no less. It really doesn't get much further from racism than that.

So far, you've been wrong about everything you've tried to say, and made yourself look incredibly naive in the process. I believe you're the one who's been "executed". Try poking your head out of that safe space of yours once in a while, you might learn something. Have a nice day!

You can scream racist with your signature tear-streaked impotence at this convenient strawman you've created as much as you want, but you're the only one who's said anything racist here. You've spent the rest of the time whining like a mule about an entire race of people (who you clearly avoid, yet can speak on behalf of), and screeching preschool-level invective at someone who doesn't exist. You're also deeply unpleasant; your unlikeability is only matched by your own wilfully bigoted ignorance.

JUMBO PALACE:
So, how scary does it get when it dips into traditional horror elements? I would like to see this with my girlfriend but she has a very low tolerance for horror.

You should be fine. I took my significant other to see it (surprisingly, she was actually interested in seeing it), and she too has a low tolerance for horror, but she liked it a lot. The movie provides a lot of tension, suspense and general creepy atmosphere but there's very little jump scares and even less gore (well, except for one scene, which you will immediately know is coming before it arrives).

All that said, it's GREAT.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or