Good Bad Flicks: Exploring The Crazies

Exploring The Crazies

Exploring the making of The Crazies.

Watch Video

I really liked the newer version. It had heart, and a lot of tension, which I think a movie like this needs.

Might have to go catch the original now- at the time, I wasn't aware it had an original version, and I do like to see both in these cases, especially where the remake seems to be able to stand on it's own as a good movie.

Thanks for covering it!

the December King:
I really liked the newer version. It had heart, and a lot of tension, which I think a movie like this needs.

Might have to go catch the original now- at the time, I wasn't aware it had an original version, and I do like to see both in these cases, especially where the remake seems to be able to stand on it's own as a good movie.

Thanks for covering it!

You're welcome!

The remake is definitely one of the ones that gets it right. The original is still very much worth seeing although it does suffer from some shoddy production at times, unfortunately due to the very small budget.

The remake focusing on just the townsfolk does wonders for increasing the tension. The original has plenty of tense and a few uncomfortable moments but as they break it up with the military sub plot it does change the tone of the film. Hope you enjoy it!

I enjoyed the remake, my only problem with it was there were too many jump scares. Other than that, great movie.

They should consider doing a remake of Romero?s "Martin" another classic that only a few people seem to know.

Brilliant Exploring video, Cecil. This film is excellent and you did both the original material and the remake justice. Breck Eisner is such a great mind, focusing on the townsfolk made it seem much more real. Shame he couldn't have done his Friday The 13th.

have to say that it is indeed a good one. didnt know that it was a remake. i dont think that my local shop will sell it, even though they do have a nice selection on old movies but not everything. just by checking the website, they only show the remake version. pretty cheap too i see.

If you walk in to a town where the people are sweeping the grass, kiss your ass goodbye.

"Did Peter call? Did Peter call?"

I love The Crazies remake. It's one of the best horror remakes ever made, IMO. It's well-acted, well-written, well-shot and well-paced. The did a fantastic job of designing and executing some stand-out set pieces (the ball field, the school, the mortuary, the car wash, etc). A vastly underrated horror movie.

That said, the ending of the original still takes the cake.

My only real problem with the remake stems from the tagline on all the posters - "What if madness was contagious?"

This holds up for the first half of the film, but gets completely abandonned for the second half.
What you really have here is "What if zombies went crazy before all their skin fell off?"

It went from something truly disquieting to a generic zombie flick, and I really would've liked to see more actual horror.

All that said, I did enjoy the film.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here