Beauty and the Beast - Time to Crush a Rose

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Beauty and the Beast - Time to Crush a Rose

2017's Beauty and the Beast only serves to remind us of how great the 1991 version is.

Read Full Article

Sad to hear Emma Watson wasn't up to snuff. She was the only reason I would watch the movie

The screenshots were laughable. They could've at least put some sort of unique spin on it, modernise it, jazz it up, make everybody wear pirate hats. Anything...Not straight up rip the whole thing from the original cartoon. Still, be our guest is my sole memory of the original that could be described as pleasant. So there's that.

Was there any other reason to put Emma Watson in here other than to make the male audience to see it? Of all Disney remakes, this one seems to be targeted more at older audiences while Cinderella targeted the kids and their parents, so why not cast many adults' crush while growing up: Hermione Granger. I kid you not, in the first trailer, we see her holding a small twig as if it was a wand, maybe I'm hardwired to expect such thing, but it really stood out to me, more than it probably should. That's the theory anyway.

Also 40 extra minutes, but the history is roughly the same? Cinderella and Jungle Book managed to develop some character and adress some plot points of the original with the extra runtimes, they could at least have Belle, as the nerd she is, pick up a psychology book and read out loud the difference between Stockholm and Lima Syndromes.

But... But Gaston! What about Gaston?! Is he as entertaining as he always was?!

Mister K:

It's Luke Evans, so he'll be swarthy and Welsh and scowl a lot. I very much doubt he'll match the animated version's oafishness, Luke Evans simply isn't that well animated.

Igor-Rowan:
Was there any other reason to put Emma Watson in here other than to make the male audience to see it?

I sometimes wonder where I was when fairies were sprinkling dust over everyone to make them fall in love with Emma Watson. Her popularity baffles me.

Mister K:

Luke Evans doesn't sway like Gaston, doesn't bitch like Gaston, in the movie he doesn't have charisma like Gaston.

Casual Shinji:

Igor-Rowan:
Was there any other reason to put Emma Watson in here other than to make the male audience to see it?

I sometimes wonder where I was when fairies were sprinkling dust over everyone to make them fall in love with Emma Watson. Her popularity baffles me.

It's the whole nerdy girl turned beauty shtick that is popularized by romcoms and sitcoms. Plus, a number of current day teens and young adults grew up with her with Harry Potter.

*Bottom Line: Slightly better than a disaster, the new Beauty and the Beast does not even come close to living up to the THEATRICAL 1991 version*

Fixed that for you, cause the "special" edition is just that, an edition that belongs nowhere but the short bus. Of course trying to find a non-special edition copy of beauty and the beast is about as difficult as trying to find the recipe for cold fusion

InsanityRequiem:

Casual Shinji:

It?s the whole nerdy girl turned beauty shtick that is popularized by romcoms and sitcoms. Plus, a number of current day teens and young adults grew up with her with Harry Potter.

Yeah, but you'd have to be, like, beautiful for that, right?

I'm not trying to come across like a dick who only values appearances, but the way Emma Watson gets presented like she's this mezmerizing vision of beauty just really makes me scratch my head. They tried to do the same with Daniel Radcliffe, making him out to be this hunk, and... no sorry, just no.

They are gonna continue it, and according to Wikipedia they are gonna make live action films for:

Mulan
Aladdin
Don Quijote?
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Pinnochio
Snow White
The Lion King
Little Mermaid
And.....Night on Bald fuckin MOUNTAIN?! They are gonna live action this?

I am not kidding this is what it says in the Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films#2010s

Samtemdo8:
They are gonna continue it, and according to Wikipedia they are gonna make live action films for:

Mulan
Aladdin
Don Quijote?
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Pinnochio
Snow White
The Lion King
Little Mermaid

Wait, they're gonna try to make Don Quixote a Live Action film? I've heard Don Quixote is one of the hardest Books to turn into a Film, and it was so problematic that even Walt Disney realized he couldn't make a film out of it.

Still, I didn't know they were gonna turn Night on Bald Mountain into an individual movie. That could be really cool! Then again, it could also suck really bad.

Aladdin, Dumbo (which will be directed by Tim Burton(!)) and The Lion King live action ones have been known for a while (at least I Knew of them). Also looking at this list, there are actually some cooler remakes coming along, like another Chronicles of Prydain movie (IE, a Live Action Version of The Black Cauldron), a Live Action Kiki's Delivery Service, a Live Action Chip and Dale Movie, a new James and the Giant Peach Film, National Treasure 3 (Because Nicholas Cage needs the Money and Reputation), and a whole bunch more.

... They're also making a freakin' It's a Small World movie and a sequel to Sky High (The Super Hero High School Movie).

Casual Shinji:
Snip

Well, her story in the HP movies certainly helps it. She is extremely smart and talented, along with pretty (by kids' standards anyway) and then in the fourth movie she gets her "Ugly Duckling turning swan moment". Couple that with a british accent, that somehow adds to that impression and she'll get the eyes of men who saw her growing up as a kid and will follow her anywhere.

As long as it is still true that in a wrestling match nobody bites like Gaston!

He made that film. It still vexxes me that in a film where a rage monster kidnaps and holds prisoner a townsperson that the guy rescuing her is the villain.

Can we all finally admit to ourselves that Emma Watson really isn't that good of an actress? I mean, I've seen worse, but she really is bland in all the roles I've seen her in.

Disney should stick to making stage adaptations like they did with The Lion King. It's far more engaging experiencing performers live and in person than watching a sterilized celluloid version.

Casual Shinji:

InsanityRequiem:

Casual Shinji:

It?s the whole nerdy girl turned beauty shtick that is popularized by romcoms and sitcoms. Plus, a number of current day teens and young adults grew up with her with Harry Potter.

I'm not trying to come across like a dick who only values appearances, but the way Emma Watson gets presented like she's this mezmerizing vision of beauty just really makes me scratch my head. They tried to do the same with Daniel Radcliffe, making him out to be this hunk, and... no sorry, just no.

Same. Watson's never done much for me. She's certainly not ugly, but she doesn't possess any physical quality I find particularly attractive either. It doesn't help that she sports the mildly irritating "Dreamworks smirk" in 90% of all her publicity shots.

Igor-Rowan:

Is it really just males that like Emma Watson? I mean, people more easily relate people that reminds them of themselves, and she played the most prominent female character in a series of 8 movies. So yes, there is another reason to put her in the role: to make the female audience go see it. Besides, her earlier role was a bookworm in a fantasy setting, she has the experience.

---

Incidentally, might I recommend a review/comparison video between the 1991 film and an earlier French adaptation of the same fairy tale? I do this because I think it is a genuinely good and informative series of videos that expanded my horizons.

It's by one of the former ThatGuyWithTheGlasses guys, just so you know what overall vibe you can expect. And it's over an hour, split in three parts.

Am I the only person who sees this version of the Beast and immediately things of Pan's Labyrinth? I expect him to start speaking Spanish and lead Belle down a hole. There's a reason why some things just work better in animation, I get that the best is supposed to look monstrous but not... horrific.

Casual Shinji:

InsanityRequiem:

Casual Shinji:

I try not to be "that guy", but as someone who quite frankly does find Emma Watson beautiful, I guess there's no accounting for personal taste, eh?

Per what others have said, I do find Emma Watson attractive, but I don't think you need a Madonna for a live-action BatB to work. Belle needs to be reasonably attractive, if only because her being pretty is why Gaston is infatuated with her, but Belle is shown to have a strong character nonetheless (least in the original Disney version). 'Inner beauty' applies for both the Beast and Belle, whereas Gaston is a hunk on the outside, but a brute on the inside (at least by the end of the original Disney film).

bjj hero:
He made that film. It still vexxes me that in a film where a rage monster kidnaps and holds prisoner a townsperson that the guy rescuing her is the villain.

... You know, I've been waiting twenty six years to hear (read, whatever) someone else say that. Sure, Gaston's a bit of a brute, and yeah, he's impatient and not very smart. But aside from proving reluctant to take the word of a hostage who's fallen in love with her kidnapper, his only sin is leading a charge against a person so evil that he was cursed when he was only eleven years old. He's really not a bad guy.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Mister K:

Luke Evans doesn't sway like Gaston, doesn't bitch like Gaston, in the movie he doesn't have charisma like Gaston.

And as a specimen he's not that intiiiiiiiiiimidating

He's not that much good as Gaston!

bjj hero:
As long as it is still true that in a wrestling match nobody bites like Gaston!

Recusant:

... You know, I've been waiting twenty six years to hear (read, whatever) someone else say that. Sure, Gaston's a bit of a brute, and yeah, he's impatient and not very smart. But aside from proving reluctant to take the word of a hostage who's fallen in love with her kidnapper, his only sin is leading a charge against a person so evil that he was cursed when he was only eleven years old. He's really not a bad guy.

...I'm sorry, what?

Let me recap here: Gaston didn't believe that Belle was so much as missing, much less a prisoner. He did, however, feel entitled to her affection as if she were a trophy. As he put it in the opening number he wanted to marry her purely because she was "the most beautiful girl in town. That makes her the best! And don't I deserve the best?" and on the grounds that she was the only person in town as beautiful as he was. Then, when she rebukes him he decides to bribe the asylum to have her father committed for the sake of blackmailing her into accepting his proposal. He ultimately only decides to go after the Beast after recognizing him as a rival for Belle's affections. This is succinctly demonstrated with Gaston's angered inquiry "did you honestly think she'd want you, when she had someone like me?" and subsequent declaration "it's over Beast, Belle is mine!" Let me reemphasize that: The guy pretty much flew into a murderous rage out of nothing more than jealousy.

The guy is prettier and less inclined towards taking over the world than Jafar or Ursula, but he is every bit as vile as Mother Gothel and Frollo.

It's a shame, but I really didn't expect much.

Outside of ONE song, the original movie didn't move me much.

The plot seemed fucked up, even as a kid, given the whole 'she wants to bang a werewolf and isn't he abusing her?' thing.

O well.

Asita:

Let me recap here: Gaston didn't believe that Belle was so much as missing, much less a prisoner. He did, however, feel entitled to her affection as if she were a trophy. As he put it in the opening number he wanted to marry her purely because she was "the most beautiful girl in town. That makes her the best! And don't I deserve the best?" and on the grounds that she was the only person in town as beautiful as he was. Then, when she rebukes him he decides to bribe the asylum to have her father committed for the sake of blackmailing her into accepting his proposal. He ultimately only decides to go after the Beast after recognizing him as a rival for Belle's affections. This is succinctly demonstrated with Gaston's angered inquiry "did you honestly think she'd want you, when she had someone like me?" and subsequent declaration "it's over Beast, Belle is mine!" Let me reemphasize that: The guy pretty much flew into a murderous rage out of nothing more than jealousy.

The guy is prettier and less inclined towards taking over the world than Jafar or Ursula, but he is every bit as vile as Mother Gothel and Frollo.

But youre happy to root for a killer, a kidnapper, someone whos vile actions cursed an entire towns worth of people. Think of all of their families where daddy never returned because he is now a plate.

Maybe Gastons motivations are suspect but his actions are correct when he storms the castle. He went to fight the beast being the under dog, physically smaller, no horns, fangs or claws.

bjj hero:

But youre happy to root for a killer, a kidnapper, someone whos vile actions cursed an entire towns worth of people. Think of all of their families where daddy never returned because he is now a plate.

You mean the (presumably) orphan child prince who makes a bad choice by being a dick?

Maybe Gastons motivations are suspect but his actions are correct when he storms the castle. He went to fight the beast being the under dog, physically smaller, no horns, fangs or claws.

In a jealous rage, he riles an entire town up by spreading lies about a shut-in Beast. He might be smaller and weaker but he's also backed by an armed militia.

Not that Beast is in the right about his actions, mind you. Gaston is just clearly more of a villain.

Double post

bjj hero:

Killer? Who does he kill and when? It's been a while since I've seen the Disney version, and I have yet to see the remake, but I can't remember Beast ever murdering someone. And wouldn't it be the Enchantress that you'd find unfair, rather than Beast, for cursing the entire castle? Beast didn't demand that if he went down, his whole castle go down with him - that was entirely her own decision.

Also, "maybe his motivations are suspect"? You say that as if we can't be sure that he's a narcissistic entitled maniac. He wasn't saving Belle for her sake - he was just "reclaiming his property". He definitely didn't think of himself as the underdog either - he was leading a witch hunt like it was a holy crusade.

As for kidnapping, being angry/violent in general (and being a jackass in his youth), yeah - I'll give you that. Beast isn't Prince Charming, or even particularly admirable, but that doesn't excuse Gaston and his atrocities. Don't get me wrong, he's a brilliant character and I found him hilarious in the '91 version, but to paint him as some misunderstood hero is a step too far.

Mr.Mattress:

Samtemdo8:

Mulan
Aladdin
Don Quijote?
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Pinnochio
Snow White
The Lion King
Little Mermaid

Wait, they're gonna try to make Don Quixote a Live Action film? I've heard Don Quixote is one of the hardest Books to turn into a Film, and it was so problematic that even Walt Disney realized he couldn't make a film out of it.

Still, I didn't know they were gonna turn Night on Bald Mountain into an individual movie. That could be really cool! Then again, it could also suck really bad.

Does Night on Bald Mountain even have a plot? It's just The Dark Lord Satan and his entourage hanging out until curfew.

Mangod:

Does Night on Bald Mountain even have a plot? It's just The Dark Lord Satan and his entourage hanging out until curfew.

That's pretty much it, but if anything, that makes the sound of a movie sound more appealing. It'll force the movie-makers to come up with a bona fide plot, whereas the other remakes will follow their predecessors to some degree.

Auron225:

Killer? Who does he kill and when? It's been a while since I've seen the Disney version, and I have yet to see the remake, but I can't remember Beast ever murdering someone. And wouldn't it be the Enchantress that you'd find unfair, rather than Beast, for cursing the entire castle? Beast didn't demand that if he went down, his whole castle go down with him - that was entirely her own decision.

This is an enchanted castle where the inhabitants have been transformed into sentient furniture. The first thing he does when Belle doesnt do as she is told? Flies into a rage and smashes a load of furniture.

I can forgive the towns people for attacking the furniture, they do not know the back story and probably think it is haunted. Beast knows exactly what happened and in all likelyhood had met them as people before transformation. The actions of a real monster, they never stood a chance.

Equally damaging furniture and items in a rage is textbook controlling behaviour in domestic violence.

If Id known Belle. I would be all for storming the castle. Gaston would get my vote.

And the enchantress being a douche makes the Beast no less douchey.

Andsre:

bjj hero:

You mean the (presumably) orphan child prince who makes a bad choice by being a dick?

In a jealous rage, he riles an entire town up by spreading lies about a shut-in Beast. He might be smaller and weaker but he's also backed by an armed militia.

Not that Beast is in the right about his actions, mind you. Gaston is just clearly more of a villain.

Ill start by saying Ive not watched it in over 10 years but...

Child or not, if he has that much power then he absolutely has responsibility to go with it. He is the prince incharge of hundreds of people, and that is just his reach within the castle. With a title of prince it is easy to imagine his powers are far more expansive. Equally, his painting in the attic, pre beast, doesnt make him look like he is 8 years old.

You expected Gaston to go in alone? Beast had an equally formidable magical army. Im sure at one point there was a selection of sentient animated throwing knives. That is horror movie territory.

I rewatched it a few weeks ago, so it might be clearer in my mind.

bjj hero:

You expected Gaston to go in alone? Beast had an equally formidable magical army. Im sure at one point there was a selection of sentient animated throwing knives. That is horror movie territory.

It was more of a response to your saying his actions were right despite dupious motivations. I completely agree that going as a group was the prudent thing to do. I just can't agree with it being the "right thing to do". He basically uses the townspeople as meat-shields so he can shoot a passive Beast in the back out of jealousy. Now if has was handled/written in a different way you could argue about the nobility of his actions, but Gaston, as written by Disney, is clearly a (if not THE) villanous character of the story.

bjj hero:

That's really the only thing that made me curious about the live action adaptation, the realization of how absolutely terrifying that fight scene would be if it wasn't cartoon slapstick. A man is crushed to death right before our eyes beneath a wardrobe that jumped from a great height, candlesticks and ovens turn into flamethrowers, people are sliced and diced by the aforementioned kitchen utensils, boiling water is poured on a man's face by a bunch of what were formerly children, in addition to the massive amount of relatively mundane but still extremely harmful blunt force trauma delivered by the wooden and even sometimes metal assailants.

In retrospect(possibly only due to having since become a fan of the SCP Foundation website), given how horrifying this entire scenario is for literally every single character we see in such a wide variety of different ways, I think it's an absolute shame this was written as a love story and not a horror story.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here