The Shack - For the Love of All that is Holy...

The Shack - For the Love of All that is Holy...

The Shack is a reminder that terrible acting and bad dialogue can ruin an interesting premise.

Read Full Article

If nothing else, I hope this one's wildly successful so that we get more cracks at Christian movies doing this rather than whatever they were doing with Fireproof.

Christian cinema will get there one day... one... day... :(

I read the book. "If your kid gets raped and killed, it's okay, because it's part of My plan. It'll turn out okay, at some unspecified point in the future. Never mind that atrocities have been occurring for thousands of years."

Fuck your plan, fuck your book, and fuck you.

Thurston:
I read the book. "If your kid gets raped and killed, it's okay, because it's part of My plan. It'll turn out okay, at some unspecified point in the future. Never mind that atrocities have been occurring for thousands of years."

Please please please don't let a bad movie speak for God Himself, that's not very fair. Also, the book's take is pretty questionable too.

So is this a remake of that movie where people trick a guy they know who's kid died but it was a trick? But I guess this time its not a trick?

Cold Shiny:

Thurston:

Please please please don't let a bad movie speak for God Himself, that's not very fair. Also, the book's take is pretty questionable too.

I dont think you want to bring up "fair" to people who despise God and religion.

And uh, also I know of another "book that speaks for God" that we could criticize too.

But this is a movie review, not R&P.

Worthington is so bad in this movie that it makes you wonder if the only reason he still gets cast is because Avatar made close to $3 billion. ... So, you've got Worthington, whose character loses a child, playing the role as blandly as humanly possible, ...

Well, if there's one thing I never noticed in Sam Worthington, it's talent as an actor. But if he has to resort to take roles in dumb Christian movies, I guess his career is at a low point.

I think the best part of this movie is that I got to read in your review that you're excited for The Belko Experiment, which makes me feel like I finally found someone else excited to see The Belko Experiment...

Marter:
And that's not even getting into its "heretical" aspects, which don't exactly come from the Bible, and will be more disagreeable to its target audience than any of the boring dialogue. I mean, Jesus decries religion in this movie, so that's something - although, again, it's done in such a dull way that it's almost not even worth talking about.

Is there anything else particularly like that? I'm not sure if I'd call Jesus decrying "religion" as an organized concept heretical to evangelicals, the modern form of evangelicalism is basically one where "relationship to God" is completely personal and churches are largely unnecessary, or only there as community centers of Sunday Schools. This type of belief is very... convenient, allowing individuals to "find Jesus" however they like (ie they don't have to go to church every Sunday) and basically believe in whatever makes them feel good. Most of these "affirmation" movies (even if they're not made by Affirm) appeal to this crowd, not to Catholics or mainline Protestants who might consider "religion" and going to church to be a pretty important part of the whole thing.

hentropy:
Is there anything else particularly like that? I'm not sure if I'd call Jesus decrying "religion" as an organized concept heretical to evangelicals, the modern form of evangelicalism is basically one where "relationship to God" is completely personal and churches are largely unnecessary, or only there as community centers of Sunday Schools. This type of belief is very... convenient, allowing individuals to "find Jesus" however they like (ie they don't have to go to church every Sunday) and basically believe in whatever makes them feel good. Most of these "affirmation" movies (even if they're not made by Affirm) appeal to this crowd, not to Catholics or mainline Protestants who might consider "religion" and going to church to be a pretty important part of the whole thing.

Apparently the depiction of the Trinity is really bad (both in what they say and do and what they look like, ie. God if played by a black woman), and it doesn't accurately represent the theology of the Bible. Some Christian sites won't even sell the book - and I presume won't sell the movie once it's out on home video.

This is probably a decent place to start, although Wiki (both the book and movie page) has some other links.

Marter:
Apparently the depiction of the Trinity is really bad (both in what they say and do and what they look like, ie. God if played by a black woman), and it doesn't accurately represent the theology of the Bible. Some Christian sites won't even sell the book - and I presume won't sell the movie once it's out on home video.

This is probably a decent place to start, although Wiki (both the book and movie page) has some other links.

Makes sense, though you can portray the Trinity any way and it will be heretical to someone. This seems to go into the nitty gritty with it the most when it comes to an evangelical biblical literalist perspective (I never thought I'd go to Answers in Genesis for useful information). I guess this stuff interests me more than it rightfully should.

So bad it wasn't even worth a reel of screenshots? Sounds about right. :P

The best Christian movie will always be Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I'm sorry you weren't able to see The Belko Experiment. It was really good. Highly recommended for people who like social commentary mixed with gore.

I remember The Shack when I was working in a bookstore. We couldn't keep it on the shelf. It was so popular. I did get one person interested in this movie about a week ago. A person was wearing a shirt that reads "God is a black woman". I told her Octavia Spencer plays God in The Shack. At first, she didn't believe me. Eventually, she told that me she will have to check that out.

This movie and Beauty & The Beast were both "Skip" movies for me. I may see The Belko Experiment again. If there isn't anything else good to watch next week.

008Zulu:
The best Christian movie will always be Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Yes, actually.

OT: For two seconds of the trailer I thought it was a horror movie. What happened to his daughter?

008Zulu:

Or The Exorcist.

Spotlight is the best Christian movie.

Cold Shiny:

Thurston:

Any being worthy of the title of a "god" should be able to speak for themselves. Tell your god if he wants to speak to me, it should be within his power. I mean, shit, I can't stop CouponCentre from sending me email, how could I avoid a conversation with a cosmic power?

At least The Shackening attempts a tap-dance around evil and suffering. The Bible God revels in it. What explanation did God offer Job after putting him through the wringer? "Because I can."

Thurston:

Cold Shiny:

Thurston:

Any being worthy of the title of a "god" should be able to speak for themselves. Tell your god if he wants to speak to me, it should be within his power. I mean, shit, I can't stop CouponCentre from sending me email, how could I avoid a conversation with a cosmic power?

At least The Shackening attempts a tap-dance around evil and suffering. The Bible God revels in it. What explanation did God offer Job after putting him through the wringer? "Because I can."

No, you are right, I mispoke.

I have never in all my years ever seen someone get argued into the kingdom of Heaven.

I spoke out of turn because these crappy movies that misrepresent my faith annoy me more than I can even express.

As for the cute little infographic, people have been trying to destroy Christianity for literally thousands of years, either it has a hint of truth to it, or the human race is truly too far gone to save.

Dogma is the best Christian movie. It may shit on organized religion, but it makes even me empathetic to God. But uh...isnt that Ironic? ;D

Thurston:

This could've been the entire review, and it still would've been top-notch. :D

I'd go for 'Dogma'. It's rude and crude, but it fosters debate about (surprise) faith, organised religion, God...y'know, stuff a good religious movie is supposed to foster.

So if we want to watch a movie where a dude talks to god, stick with Bruce Almighty

Cold Shiny:

Thurston:

Cold Shiny:

No, you are right, I mispoke.

I have never in all my years ever seen someone get argued into the kingdom of Heaven.

I spoke out of turn because these crappy movies that misrepresent my faith annoy me more than I can even express.

As for the cute little infographic, people have been trying to destroy Christianity for literally thousands of years, either it has a hint of truth to it, or the human race is truly too far gone to save.

You're underestimating how irrational humans will be to make themselves feel happy.

Thurston:

Cold Shiny:

Thurston:

Meh. Duality. There is no good if there is no evil. Good has no meaning if you don't have a choice to do it. If you set up an AI simulation, what is more satisfying, an AI that is given a goal and is left to itself to get to it, or an AI that is given a goal, and you explicitly program it to go through every step needed? Far more satisfying to create something that can think for itself than an automaton.

That's kind of what the whole deal of having children is.

Not much of a paradox.

As for God talking to you, do you bother talking to all the microbes on your own skin? Omnipotent does not mean interested in you.

As for the Bible, yeah. Their God's either a dick or it's a collection of metaphors meant to impart lessons, just like what every other culture has. Just cuz the Bible pisses you off, though, doesn't inherently undermine the idea of a God, just that God. There is a difference.

Thurston:
snip

Cute little infographic. Too bad it's missing some pretty obvious boxes.

"Why couldn't [God create a world without evil]?" --> "He did."

"God could and would destroy Satan." --> "And he will, as John prophesied on Patmos. It's right there. Did you miss it?"

But eh. You want nothing to do with God, so you'll get what you want.

SupahEwok:

Meh. Duality. There is no good if there is no evil.

Sending people to hell because not enough prayers or wrong religion, good or evil?
Letting die atrociously billions of innocent living beings for a plan to succeed billions of years later, good or evil?

Good has no meaning if you don't have a choice to do it.

Killing hitler to prevent shoah, good or evil?
Letting hitler live so the shoah happens, and allows the creation of israel later, good or evil?

Preventing the christ to sacrifice himself, good or evil?
Forcing the christ to sacrifice himself for humankind, good or evil?

Killing lucifer before he lures eve in sin, good or evil?
Helping Satan to lure eve in sin, good or evil?

Notice half of those actions were taken by god, for his grand design to succeed.
So, god, good or evil?

Far more satisfying to create something that can think for itself than an automaton.

But do you send the same automaton to hell for the actions it took in your own-designed environment because of your shitty programing skills?

Nope. It's gene copy. if not, why modeling their freewill with education, laws and punishments?

As for God talking to you, do you bother talking to all the microbes on your own skin? Omnipotent does not mean interested in you.

Do you need morality towards microbes?
Therefore, god has no morality, for he has no peer to interact with, certainly not humans.

Doesn't inherently undermine the idea of a God, just that God. There is a difference.

What's the point of a god who doesn't care, act or think about you? The same as being non-existent.
As you said, quite a big difference.

Remind me: who created Lucifer?
You know, the angel amongst angels, perfection amongst perfection, sinless than the sinlesses?
And remind me too: did Lucifer ever eat the forbidden fruit?
And what's about the third of angels who followed him? Were they force-feeded oranges by Lucifer?

"God could and would destroy Satan." --> "And he will, as John prophesied on Patmos. It's right there. Did you miss it?"

God cannot.
I defy you or any religious scholar, past, present and to come, to find a single reference in any monotheistic scripture, where god actually destroys a soul. Torturing them, ok. Casting them away, yes. But destroying spirit? Never. For soul comes from god, and therefore cannot be destroyed, even by god.
If god could, no human would go to hell, giving satan less minions for the final battle, and making the argument of the torturing god impossible.

mtarzaim02:

God cannot.
I defy you or any religious scholar, past, present and to come, to find a single reference in any monotheistic scripture, where god actually destroys a soul. Torturing them, ok. Casting them away, yes. But destroying spirit? Never. For soul comes from god, and therefore cannot be destroyed, even by god.
If god could, no human would go to hell, giving satan less minions for the final battle, and making the argument of the torturing god impossible.

Google "annihilationism". There's lots of scholars that subscribe to that. It depends on how you interpret the "lake of fire" in John's Revelation.

Also, the entire OT was written under the impression that souls in Sheol would eventually cease to exist. The concept of the "indestructible soul" is comparatively recent.

I doubt you genuinely care about this background, though, but simply want to poke holes in things because this is the Escapist, the land of contrarians and malcontent. At any rate, this isn't R&P, but feel free to message me if you want a discussion.

SupahEwok:

Thurston:
[quote="Cold Shiny" post="6.948201.23931369"][quote="Thurston" post="6.948201.23931337"]I read the book. "If your kid gets raped and killed, it's okay, because it's part of My plan. It'll turn out okay, at some unspecified point in the future. Never mind that atrocities have been occurring for thousands of years."

SNIP

Meh. Duality. There is no good if there is no evil. Good has no meaning if you don't have a choice to do it. If you set up an AI simulation, what is more satisfying, an AI that is given a goal and is left to itself to get to it, or an AI that is given a goal, and you explicitly program it to go through every step needed? Far more satisfying to create something that can think for itself than an automaton.

Not much of a paradox.

As for the Bible, yeah. Their God's either a dick or it's a collection of metaphors meant to impart lessons, just like what every other culture has. Just cuz the Bible pisses you off, though, doesn't inherently undermine the idea of a God, just that God. There is a difference.

Is there a god or gods? No evidence has been presented to my satisfaction. Got some?

lacktheknack:

Thurston:
snip

Why would a good god wait to destroy Satan? On the same schedule as Tyre? Is this the same "plan" where everything is going to be okay, despite thousands of years of atrocity?

And, I'd like to converse with the creator of the universe, but the Bible is patently obvious as a human creation, with human limitations, human insanity, human inanity, human ignorance, human arrogance, and human fallibility.

Thurston:

lacktheknack:

Thurston:
snip

Why would a good god wait to destroy Satan? On the same schedule as Tyre? Is this the same "plan" where everything is going to be okay, despite thousands of years of atrocity?

And, I'd like to converse with the creator of the universe, but the Bible is patently obvious as a human creation, with human limitations, human insanity, human inanity, human ignorance, human arrogance, and human fallibility.

PM me if you want to continue this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here