Zero Punctuation: Yooka-Laylee

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yooka-Laylee

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Yooka-Laylee.

Watch Video

Oh man, Conker's Bad Fur Day. Yahtzee needs to do a retro review of that one!

Holy shit that DMV test

I'm (somewhat) surprised he didn't mention JonTron.

Do you think Yahtzee's seen his own TVTropes page?
And which sitcom that's been renewed well past the point the writers still cared about it do you think he meant?

THM:

Was it that big a deal to be honest?

I kid you not, this year might be the best year for gaming since 2007, every single game Yahtzee review this year (and by that I mean those that were released this year) had big appeal whether is niche or polish of an already stabilished series, couple that with: Persona 5 (that I'm 95% sure Yahtzee won't review), Supergiant [Bastion/Transistor] games releasing Pyre this year, Dark Souls 3 DLC, Telltale making a Guardians of the Galaxy episodic series, the 4 Fire Emblems, that Psychonauts spin-off, Freedom Planet 2...
This year is the gift that keeps on giving.

Johnny Novgorod:

THM:

For the usual suspects, sure. For people who don't care about JonTron, nah. I didn't really even know who he was, let alone that he was in this game.

Am confused as to whether the game still counts as "successful" due to the kickstarter popularity, or "short-lived bottle rocket" due to the kickstarter popularity and then the wilting enthusiasm slowly peeling with it the rose-tinted spectacles off a generation of lost childhoods. Think of it like a plaster or a crack-sack-'n-back wax; it's less painful the quicker you do it.

Silentpony:

It wouldn't end well for Conker. But mayhaps a necessary evil to embrace. ;)

Edit: Oh and the point about Conker's BFD having skills to unlock to get to new areas is flat out wrong. There were no unlockable skills, and getting to new areas involved context sensitive situations. Also it was very much linear, aside an early part of the game that gave you 3 places to do in any order. It's been years, but i do remember that much. Comparing it to Banjo like that is incorrect. But i guess a surface level observation would appear otherwise. :)

Yooka-Laylee wasn't bad because it emulated BK. It was bad because it didn't emulate it very well at all.

A lot of these problems simply aren't in the BK games and I think it's pretty unfair to bring them down because they released a bad spin-off. But what really sucks is... These were the original creators. What happened?

I don't know about you guys but I want more full 3D platformers. No more of this 2.5 d shit for now anyone else agree with me?

Johnny Novgorod:

THM:

For JonTron's fans, I bet it was. But I'm not surprised; Yahtzee rarely references Internet drama.

Igor-Rowan:
Persona 5 (that I'm 95% sure Yahtzee won't review)

He just mentioned in the stream he's playing the game.

THM:

Yahtzee's not in the business of talking about the drama surrounding online gaming personalities, outside of that one episode he did about webcomics. (Although a followup to that episode discussing Let's Play could be fun next time Bugger All's Coming Out season rolls around.)

Silentpony:

This would also be fun. Judging by Vinesauce's playthrough I watched recently, that game could be charitably described as not aging well, which always makes for a more interesting retro review than showering it with praise, and I especially enjoy those rare moments where Yahtzee takes writers to task for forced edginess.

Now he just needs to play Snake Pass to enjoy a platformer. I usually hate puzzle/platformers since all you do is just keep jumping until you hear the victory music, but now you have to use the physics of a snake's body to solve puzzles and cross chasms. It's pretty good and on Steam.

Dissing the White Male protagnist that probably has more charcater depth than Banjo and Mario :P

I care about Snake as a character than Banjo.

Madmatty:
I don't know about you guys but I want more full 3D platformers. No more of this 2.5 d shit for now anyone else agree with me?

Me too. Almost no AAA platformers still get made, with the notable exception of Mario games (which are very occasional). Mario knocks it out of the park every time in 3D, but it seems almost nobody else even wants to make an attempt. I get that for indie devs with teams of 10 people or whatever that a 3D platformer is beyond their scope, but even Nintendo themselves seem to put out more 2D than 3D platformers.

Thank you for the video post Yahtzee! Ok so option D for the DMV seems most sensible. Also if the world suffered from reverse kleptomania it would certainly liven up the place hehe.

To be frank, it really does sound like Banjoo-Tooie, including Tower of Tragedy and Hag 1 (Though to be frank, even I thought Hag 1 went on for WAY too fucking long.)

Also Yahtzee mentioning TV Tropes made my head explode.

Conker's Bad Fur Day is nothing like Banjo-Kazooie. Conker has some things to collect, but not really that many and the game is probably closer to an adventure game in that it mostly revolves around solving bizarre puzzles. Also the platforming is somehow even worse than Banjo-Kazooie.

Johnny Novgorod:

THM:

I'd already forgotten who he was or what he had to do with this game.

Drathnoxis:
Conker's Bad Fur Day is nothing like Banjo-Kazooie. Conker has some things to collect, but not really that many and the game is probably closer to an adventure game in that it mostly revolves around solving bizarre puzzles. Also the platforming is somehow even worse than Banjo-Kazooie.

Johnny Novgorod:

THM:

Short version: Jon says some racist shit on a stream debate, YL's team removes his cameo from the game.

Kyman102:

Drathnoxis:

Johnny Novgorod:

Short version: Jon says some racist shit on a stream debate, YL's team removes his cameo from the game.

Well, the real non-biased short version would be that he gave lip-service to a statistic in a debate and didn't bother to bring up its source because he had been tricked by his 'debate opponent' into getting a bit heated, because that's how the opponent operates. Then everybody got mad because he said something people don't like to hear while he was angry, and now he's apparently the next turbo-hitler.

And so I continue my hallowed vigil, waiting for the day that Yahtzee gets around to playing Hollow Knight, the 2D metroidvania lovechild of Dark Souls and a Bug's Life.

DemomanHusband:

Kyman102:

Drathnoxis:

Well, the real non-biased short version would be that he gave lip-service to a statistic in a debate and didn't bother to bring up its source because he had been tricked by his 'debate opponent' into getting a bit heated, because that's how the opponent operates. Then everybody got mad because he said something people don't like to hear while he was angry, and now he's apparently the next turbo-hitler.

You know the funny thing is before that happened (which was the second time in a month that people who hate those right of Mao tried to paint JonTron as a racist, though at least the second time people who didn't bother looking into it could use the excuse of being fooled by quoteminers for being too lazy to look at a publicly available stream) I didn't even know this game existed. Though then my feelings towards kickstarter games is "don't".

erttheking:
To be frank, it really does sound like Banjo-Tooie

No. BT was better.

Zontar:
Though then my feelings towards kickstarter games is "don't".

Amen Brother,
Kickstarter games almost never come out as they were pitched, Even so it's more or less betting on if it will be good or bad. [kinda like gambling]. Even so you are putting to much trust in something that might not live up to expectations.
And that's why Yooka-Laylee Fails in my book, It's expectations of being a good game were too high. If it didn't try to be Banjo three then it would be seen in a different light. Not only that but it doesn't try to change the problems of past 3d platformers [There is such a thing as "too many collectibles"].

That's also kinda why I don't enjoy shovel knight as much as everyone else [knock-back can burn in hell for all I care]. In fact, because of shovel knight every kick started game is expected to be as good or better than it would originally be.

Irwin126:
Even so you are putting to much trust in something that might not live up to expectations.

This right here is why I didn't back Planetary Annihilation. That and the fact the feature creep was obviously going to 1) ruin the game for what I'd have wanted out of it, or 2) just ruined the game. I'd say it's more the first now that it's released, but at least it got a release unlike Star Citizen which still hasn't released and is nothing in any way at all resembling what it was originally promised to be.

DemomanHusband:

Kyman102:

Drathnoxis:

Well, the real non-biased short version is that he parroted a racist talking point based on a gross misrepresentation of a study that was actually about racism within the justice system. Then when his flabbergasted opponent quickly googled the original scientific study that was the source of the information JonTron refused to believe it. That and he vociferously defended racial purity for two hours.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Watch Video

Whoo hoo! My description of old 3D graphics as "used toilet paper origami" is finally catching on.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22used+toilet+paper+origami%22 Freelancer review (4th result)

I'm still amazed that everyone had a collective nerdgasm in the 90s. 3D is always better than 2D? Yeah, right.

(duplicate)

Remember the Jontron Voice-cut controversy?
People have ripped the voice straight out of the disc (it's removed via Mandatory patch)

DaCosta:
Well, the real non-biased short version is that he parroted a racist talking point based on a gross misrepresentation of a study that was actually about racism within the justice system. Then when his flabbergasted opponent quickly googled the original scientific study that was the source of the information JonTron refused to believe it. That and he vociferously defended racial purity for two hours.

Pretty much this. It doesn't matter if he felt 'pressured' or anything, the talking points he quoted were inaccurate and biased as all shit, and even if he was parroting them that doesn't change the fact that he quoted bullshit and offensive views to defend his point.

So no, I don't feel sorry for Jon, I don't buy his "I'm sorry I seemed racist" lip-service, and I don't blame the makers of YL for dropping him like a bad habit.

Igor-Rowan:
I kid you not, this year might be the best year for gaming since 2007, every single game Yahtzee review this year (and by that I mean those that were released this year) had big appeal whether is niche or polish of an already stabilished series, couple that with: Persona 5 (that I'm 95% sure Yahtzee won't review), Supergiant [Bastion/Transistor] games releasing Pyre this year, Dark Souls 3 DLC, Telltale making a Guardians of the Galaxy episodic series, the 4 Fire Emblems, that Psychonauts spin-off, Freedom Planet 2...

Nah, last year was way better.

Drathnoxis:

The adventuring is pretty poor as well, to be honest.

Igor-Rowan:

Not to mention Styx: Shards of Darkness. They took everything that was good about the previous game and cranked it up to 11, and then booted out most of the stuff that dragged it down.

It's one of THE most option-packed pure stealth games I've played. There's just so many damn ways to traverse most of the levels and so many nifty powers and craftable items that it's preposterous. By mid-game you likely have 2-3 options for every situation you encounter aside from timing your moevemnts or trying to find safer routes.

Yeah, I COULD carefully cause a distraction to make those 3 enemies move away from that shortcut forward, either by throwing something or making them chase a disposable clone. Or I could lure them all away one at a time and shank them or make them walk onto Acid Traps. Or I could try to find a longer path with less resistance. Or I could make a clone run up to them and pop a giant smoke cloud I can then dash through. Or I could just pop invisibilty and walk by them. Oh, even better, if I throw a crafted Clone Cocoon at just the right angle, then use the Teleport-to-Clone ability I can bypass this little segment entirely.

It's completely bonkers and I'm surprised Yatzee hasn't covered it yet, given how much he enjoys stealth games.

I mean, between that and Persona 5, this is a really good 2 months already.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here