8 of the Strongest Video Game Villains of All Time

8 of the Strongest Video Game Villains of All Time

Here are 8 video game villains that made their respective games worth playing!

Read Full Article

I don't Ganon really lives up to his hype. He's not even in the 8 strongest Nintendo villains. Certainly not above guys like Giygas or Planet Phaaze. Bowser actually blew up a galaxy once, even when Ganon got the TriForce he tends to aim low with his wish. I think Majora's Mask is even stronger than Ganon.

Of all the Dark Souls bosses you picked a bitch.

Bitch ain't got legs.

How is the Illusive Man a villain? He just wants humanity to be better than the ETs, he's basically a hero. I'd suggest replacing him with an actual villain like the hive mind of the Tyraninds in Dawn of War 2 because the whole goal is to eat every living thing in the Auralia sector.

... Not going to lie, Seth doesn't seem like the strongest villain to me, let alone a great one at that. He betrayed his kin, by simply exposing their weakness. He didn't take them all down on his own, hell I doubt he even did much besides kill a dozen or so (dude was blind and had no legs so I doubt he could wipe out many on a whim). He did some experiments on Firekeepers, but that's about it.

If you want a stronger, and far more villainous character in the Soul series, look no further than Pontiff Sulyvahn from Dark Souls III.

He took over the Boreal Valley with no mercy shown to the civilians, brainwashed / corrupted most of the soldiers there, turned some into beasts using rings, forced Gwynevere's great grandaughter to become his private dancer ... only to turn her into a mindless killing machine (Dancer of the Boreal Valley boss), convinced Prince Lothric to deny linking the fire, fed Gwyndolin to Aldrich, started a covenant to sacrifice men, women, children, anyone to satisfy Aldrich's hunger, and proceeded to invade other places in order to take hold of the kingdoms. This guy is probably 80% of the reason why things have gone wrong in Dark Souls III, in terms of bad things happening. He even captured an angelic being, tortured her, and used her to grant himself that stage 2 power you see Pontiff use.

Dude was an absolute monster, with no mercy or regards to anyone while carelessly sabotaging the world to benefit himself.

Two Mass Effect but NONE from Chrono Cross/Trigger?!?!?

1) I'd pick Harbinger, picking an entire race feels like a cheat.

2) No, not really. Ganon's intimidating, but I'm sure there's stronger villains out there. Heck, Majora or Demise are arguably stronger than Ganon.

3) So, you just copy-pasted from Heroes of the Storm for Kerrigan's entry? Also, Amon would be a more powerful villain - true, Kerrigan defeated him, but only with three armies at her back.

4) Can't comment

5) Ditto

6) Can't comment, but Zeus being Zeus, I can buy it

7) Two villains from Mass Effect? Really? Also, the Illusive Man is only strong in the sense that he controls Cerberus and exerts significant influence over the Alliance.

8) Yep, pretty much.

So, off the top of my head, here's another list of eight:

1) Zanza (Xenoblade)

2) Harbinger (Mass Effect)

3) Sargeras (the Void Lords are arguably stronger, but they're unnamed)

4) Mother Demon (Doom)

5) Sin (Final Fantasy)

6) Formotis (Fire Emblem)

7) Balor (Myth)

8) Amon (StarCraft)

Though I detest the game, the lack of Kefka on this list is simply laughable. He's the God of all Magic and actually succeeded in destroying the world, and even what's left he's able to just decimate entire villages with a handwave. Definitely stronger than The Illusive Man.

*Raises eyebrow*
Strongest video game villains of all time? Really?
Do you need someone to send you a dictionary? Because what you seem to have selected does not match with the English definition of those words.

Tanis:
Two Mass Effect but NONE from Chrono Cross/Trigger?!?!?

Yep, Lavos should definitely be in there I think. Don't rate the Illusive Man at all in a list like this.

Xan Krieger:
How is the Illusive Man a villain? He just wants humanity to be better than the ETs, he's basically a hero.

He lures innocent human civilians in with the promise of sanctuary, and then turns them all in to Husks. He caused the deaths of thousands more when he lured the Collectors to Horizon, just to test a theory.

Wait, so one are a race of nearly indestructible and immortal killing machines with no discernible reason to exist other than exterminate every sentient being in the galaxy, and the other one is a human politician? Sure, the illusive man is powerful in that deus ex powerful way the Templars in Assassins Creed are powerful, but he is not in the same league as the other characters in the list, let alone the other ones in the same game.

Its like saying "Yes, Apocalypse is a good X-Men villain, but you know who is more menacing? That guy played by Peter Dinklage..."

008Zulu:

Xan Krieger:
How is the Illusive Man a villain? He just wants humanity to be better than the ETs, he's basically a hero.

He lures innocent human civilians in with the promise of sanctuary, and then turns them all in to Husks. He caused the deaths of thousands more when he lured the Collectors to Horizon, just to test a theory.

Trying to think when that was, I didn't get far into Mass Effect 3. I remember him as being a great guy in Mass Effect 2 with goals every human should've shared.

Xan Krieger:
Trying to think when that was, I didn't get far into Mass Effect 3.

Shepard & Crew going to Sanctuary happened late game in ME3.

Xan Krieger:

008Zulu:

Xan Krieger:

Trying to think when that was, I didn't get far into Mass Effect 3. I remember him as being a great guy in Mass Effect 2 with goals every human should've shared.

Truthfully he always stank like a week dead fish in ME 2 to me. Everything was just lined up too perfect from a PR perspective to lure Shepard in.

The bit about luring humans to a sanctuary and turning them into husks was revealed towards the end of ME 3, he also spearheaded an attempted coup at the Citadel. All the Cerberus shock troopers in ME 3 were in fact advanced husks. Wasn't really an ass pull either. He never shied away from using reaper tech or tactics.

The above said they should have picked one from Mass Effect and not 2 and the one picked should have been Harbinger, not the whole Reaper race.

008Zulu:

Xan Krieger:

jklinders:

Xan Krieger:

008Zulu:

Truthfully he always stank like a week dead fish in ME 2 to me. Everything was just lined up too perfect from a PR perspective to lure Shepard in.

The bit about luring humans to a sanctuary and turning them into husks was revealed towards the end of ME 3, he also spearheaded an attempted coup at the Citadel. All the Cerberus shock troopers in ME 3 were in fact advanced husks. Wasn't really an ass pull either. He never shied away from using reaper tech or tactics.

The above said they should have picked one from Mass Effect and not 2 and the one picked should have been Harbinger, not the whole Reaper race.

Thanks for the info guys, I always thought of his humanity first view as like a more peaceful version of the Imperium from W40K. Sure he hates aliens and advocates for their demise but he seldom actually does it. I guess that's why I loved Ashley so much in Mass Effect 1, her disdain for lesser species matched up with my own.

Wait, Alduin? Really Aldiun? The boring dragon that has no character and is defeated in the most anti climatic boss fight? This list is wack. I can think of hundreds of better villains.

Xan Krieger:

008Zulu:

Xan Krieger:

jklinders:

Xan Krieger:

Thanks for the info guys, I always thought of his humanity first view as like a more peaceful version of the Imperium from W40K. Sure he hates aliens and advocates for their demise but he seldom actually does it. I guess that's why I loved Ashley so much in Mass Effect 1, her disdain for lesser species matched up with my own.

I liked Ashley, until the third game. Some kind of batshit insane crap hit her character writing in the third game. If she dies during the Citadel coup, she does so with a curse on her lips for Shepard, despite seeing for herself how wrong she was the entire time.

There was nothing peaceful about Cerberus, if you did the side quests in ME 1. Every last thing that was done by them in that game was cuckoo for cocoa puffs crazy.

jklinders:

Xan Krieger:

008Zulu:

jklinders:

I liked Ashley, until the third game. Some kind of batshit insane crap hit her character writing in the third game. If she dies during the Citadel coup, she does so with a curse on her lips for Shepard, despite seeing for herself how wrong she was the entire time.

There was nothing peaceful about Cerberus, if you did the side quests in ME 1. Every last thing that was done by them in that game was cuckoo for cocoa puffs crazy.

But it's small stuff involving at most a few dozen casualties in any one situation. They're small time until the third game.

Xan Krieger:

jklinders:

Xan Krieger:

But it's small stuff involving at most a few dozen casualties in any one situation. They're small time until the third game.

*shrug*

That was before some of the tie in novels that expanded on them. You can also say that was the stuff that got caught and they had other crazier shit happening. It's one of the few plot inconsistencies you can handwave away really. They pulled in enough funding, eezo, engineers, scientists and paramilitary people to build a new and better Normandy based on supposedly top secret designs. That's not unlike a PMC in today's world reverse engineering the latest top of the line nuclear submarine only better less than two years after it first hit service. I'm not naive enough to call that something a small fry can do.

Is Spoiler Season off of Undertale enough to include it?

The lack of Kefka alone invalidates this list... I hate that freakin' clown but even I acknowledge he's one of the rare few villains who not only succeeded in his batshit crazy plans, he succeeded with style.

shodan is weirdly missing from the list and so is glados

Seath is a loser who spunked all over a library. Illusive man is an idiot for a vast number of reasons. Alduin doesn't even come close to living up to his hype.

Even then the list seems to be vaguely "iconic" villains rather than "strongest". Here's my list of great strong villains as dictated mostly in the lore of the respective games and partially how cool they are.
1: Chakravartin (Asura's Wrath)
2: Deimon (Dragon's Dogma)
3: Simmons (Resident Evil)
4: Mantorok (Eternal Darkness)
5: Jubileus (Bayonetta)
6: Forgotten One (Castlevania Lords of Shadow)
7: Tabuu (Super Smash Bros)
8: Majora (LOZ Majora's Mask)
9: Pontiff Sulyvahn (Dark Souls)
10: Elisabeth Greene (Prototype)

Elisabeth is basically at the centre of the inital outbreak and is also a kaiju. Sulyvahn is a mastermind sorcerer who created a giant power hungry cult with him as pope. Majora can literally crash the Moon into the Earth. Tabuu is just an a**hole. Forgotten One can instantkill Dracula effortlessly. Jubileus is absurdly powerful even as a half formed fetus god. Mantorok folds three alternate realities onto eachother so that all his enemies kill eachother simultaneously. Simmons is an almost invincible (in his universe) shape shifting kaiju monster thing. Try fighting Deimon, just try his true form. Chakravartin literally creates suns and planets as projectiles, seriously.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
The lack of Kefka alone invalidates this list... I hate that freakin' clown but even I acknowledge he's one of the rare few villains who not only succeeded in his batshit crazy plans, he succeeded with style.

I remember in IX that Kuja blew up a moon/planet and in V Exdeath not only erased a planet was was going to bring down the entire universe for a last laugh. They has to seriously deus ex machina that one.

Hawki:

2) No, not really. Ganon's intimidating, but I'm sure there's stronger villains out there. Heck, Majora or Demise are arguably stronger than Ganon.

Demise only threatened the surface world twice; once in the 'ancient battle' against Hylia, and once again in the Sky Era. Ganon, on the other hand, is nigh-immortal, and has threatened Hyrule dozens upon dozens of times, and will doubtless live on (or resurrect) to do the same again. He's done more damage over the centuries and lives on to do more.

Silvanus:

Hawki:

Demise only threatened the surface world twice; once in the 'ancient battle' against Hylia, and once again in the Sky Era. Ganon, on the other hand, is nigh-immortal, and has threatened Hyrule dozens upon dozens of times, and will doubtless live on (or resurrect) to do the same again. He's done more damage over the centuries and lives on to do more.

Yeah, he's done that, and been defeated each time.

That's not to undersell Ganon, but I would rank Majora above him, in that in addition to Link we needed four giants to thwart its ability to MOVE THE FREAKIN' MOON. Ganondorf's actions generally threaten Hyrule, while Majora could have caused a global apocalypse.

Hawki:

Yeah, he's done that, and been defeated each time.

That's not to undersell Ganon, but I would rank Majora above him, in that in addition to Link we needed four giants to thwart its ability to MOVE THE FREAKIN' MOON. Ganondorf's actions generally threaten Hyrule, while Majora could have caused a global apocalypse.

They've all been defeated each time. Even Kefka, who people are mentioning above as a relative villainous success story.

Ganon is focused on ruling Hyrule rather than destroying it, much of the time-- I don't doubt he could threaten something equally catastrophic if his intention was to simply destroy the world.

Hawki:

5) Sin (Final Fantasy)

Nope. I would have went with Kuja. Dude literally blows up a planet and tears the fabric of reality to enter not one but TWO different dimensions. And he is the only villain that actually does not get beat by the Heroes. He just gets bored and decides to blow everything up.

Something... does not feel right here.

MiskWisk:
*Raises eyebrow*
Strongest video game villains of all time? Really?
Do you need someone to send you a dictionary? Because what you seem to have selected does not match with the English definition of those words.

Kind-of this. Jeff, I don't think you really wanted to use the term "strongest". Especially not "of all time". The "dragon"(wyvern) from Skyrim is something I kill for breakfast in Monster Hunter and have killed probably stronger about fourteen times over today alone just for a damn plate.

And then you include two subjects from one franchise alone with one not even being a villain in the main sense, though I give you props for using a different view of strength for that one. But overall, this list kind of seems like a very entry-level kind of deal and I'd probably put none of these picks anywhere near the title.

One I'd still not actually give the title necessarily but still would be a better choice than (most of)this list? Rahu.

Motherfucker comes into a story about using little mini-robots that are controlled with your mind in a holographic arena out of fucking nowhere and he does it by killing someone offscreen in a restaurant. The mood whiplash alone is incredible, but then you learn the guy was killed by something that could only be described as one of these mini-robots in a battle with his own. Next time you see him? He's shooting up a place and is a bit closer to life-sized this time.

The next few appearances in the story see him defeated a few times, but then you learn the possible reason. The thing is some kind of eldritch cosmic horror that was originally invisible and utterly invincible that came to Earth about a thousand year ago and started destroying and killing absolutely fucking everything, nearly wiping out humanity entirely and by the current events of the story, has driven humanity into dome cities with yours being the last remaining, until it tried diving into a Robo like humans do and got stuck, which made him actually fightable in this new form. Rahu was eventually defeated by wiping its genetic and actual memory so its evolution process stopped, which is presumably what you're fighting now.

Oh yeah, he's also evolving during the events of the game from fleshy robo abomination into something that might actually have ended up negating the weaknesses of having a physical form. First into a slightly armored version of his fleshy-looking self.

And then finally into this refined murder machine.

And the only reason he's beaten again is because the main character has the device used to wipe him the first time, along with some backup.

All of this in a Nintendo game that hits you in the balls out of nowhere because it made you think this shit was going to just be robot fightan and becoming the best like no one ever was as a robo-mercenary with a sexy prototype Robo from an equally sexy scientist. All respects due to Ganon but he really doesn't have shit on Rahu in most of his incarnations. Neither does most of the list honestly.

...I'll go back to the basement.

Seath's boss fight blows chunks. No epic about it.
If you're going to talk about how epic Ganon is, maybe talk about the actual fights with him instead of what he represents. Y'know, the fights where you beat the shit out of him with a hammer or stabbed him in the fucking face.
Kerrigan will never get an epic boss fight because that just flat out doesn't work in an RTS.
If Sargeras ever becomes a raid boss, bear in mind that a group of adventurers will be able to take him from full health to dead in less than fifteen minutes.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here