The Unofficial Stargate Trilogy

The Unofficial Stargate Trilogy

Last fall, the idea of a Stargate reboot seemed to lose steam. But what if the original plans for their trilogy had already been released as stand-alone films?

Read Full Article

So there is an alternate universe in which Stargate, Independence Day and 10,000 BC are a trilogy and SG-1 never happened? Suddenly, the one in which the Nazis won doesn't seem so bad.

Major_Tom:
So there is an alternate universe in which Stargate, Independence Day and 10,000 BC are a trilogy and SG-1 never happened? Suddenly, the one in which the Nazis won doesn't seem so bad.

Jesus, I need to scrub that image out of my head with Clorox.

man....stargate SG-1 was a bad ass show. might re-watch it....

Man...are they paying the TEM staff in weed now, because...wha?!?!

I'm just happy that ID2 flopped as so we won't be seeing a Stargate reboot that literally no one other then those two want to see happen. The market doesn't want another shitty blockbuster reboot of a beloved series by people who don't understand what made it work, it wants a television series. We live in a time where The Expanse has double the per-episode budget of SG1 or SGA, has a quarter of the viewership and yet due to how international distribution works it's managed to reach 3 seasons and counting, the world can more then handle a 4th Stargate series or a television reboot.

I'm still annoyed that Atlantis was cancelled for Universe.

Loop Stricken:

That's a beautiful piece of art, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say with it.

Zontar:
I'm just happy that ID2 flopped as so we won't be seeing a Stargate reboot that literally no one other then those two want to see happen. The market doesn't want another shitty blockbuster reboot of a beloved series by people who don't understand what made it work, it wants a television series.

Eh, speak for yourself.

Stargate has constantly re-invented itself. We have the original film and the old EU that was build around it. Then comes SG-1 that only takes the bare bones of the film, discards everything else, and runs off with its own thing. Regardless of my own thoughts on both the original film and SG-1, there's a very strong disconnect between the two, ranging from plot to tone. Heck, SG-1 itself changes significantly in its 'essence' over the course of its ten seasons.

So, then we get Infinity (very different, declared non-canon), Atlantis (which is the only case I can think of where a pre-existing Stargate work was directly emulated), and then Universe, which while sharing the SG-1/Atlantis continuity, is significantly different in tone as well.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't say no to a reboot film. The series has arbitrarily declared material non-canon before, a reboot at least is honest in its intentions.

Zontar:

We live in a time where The Expanse has double the per-episode budget of SG1 or SGA, has a quarter of the viewership and yet due to how international distribution works it's managed to reach 3 seasons and counting, the world can more then handle a 4th Stargate series or a television reboot.

So a TV reboot is fine, but not a film one? Also, arguably, Dark Matter can be said to be Stargate's spiritual successor...maybe. Far as a 5th (yes, 5th) Stargate show would go...meh. I'm not sure what else could be done in the setting. The Tau'ri have defeated every big threat that's come after them, so the only real dangling thread left is Universe. I'm not sure how you could pick that up without restarting SGU itself.

008Zulu:
I'm still annoyed that Atlantis was cancelled for Universe.

But I liked Universe. :(

Okay, it's more accurate to say that I like Universe because its second season was a marked improvement over the first, but for me, it goes SG-1>SGU>SGA>SGI. Universe is flawed, but at least did its own thing, whereas Atlantis is more SG-1 2.0.

But where does the Stargate Book fit in?

Hawki:
At the end of the day, I wouldn't say no to a reboot film. The series has arbitrarily declared material non-canon before, a reboot at least is honest in its intentions.

Yeah but realistically what are the odds of a reboot film being good? The answer is that, with a great team behind it, low. With THESE GUYS behind it, literally none.

So a TV reboot is fine, but not a film one? Also, arguably, Dark Matter can be said to be Stargate's spiritual successor...maybe. Far as a 5th (yes, 5th) Stargate show would go...meh. I'm not sure what else could be done in the setting. The Tau'ri have defeated every big threat that's come after them, so the only real dangling thread left is Universe. I'm not sure how you could pick that up without restarting SGU itself.

A TV reboot would at least have a decent chance of being good. Can't say that about a movie reboot without being as unbelievable as the fantasy technology itself of the setting.

Even ignoring all the other things that make a TV series an inherently superior medium to a movie, you've got 17 years of lore to work with as a building off point, instead of just one okay middle of the road movie that didn't really do much and would have been completely forgotten had it not been for the vastly superior television spin-offs.

Hell even within the canon there's plenty to actually work with. The Goa'uld are still out there (with dozens having infiltrated Earth), the Lucian Alliance is still on the rise, the Wraith are still dominating their galaxy, the Vanir, Prometheus aliens, and Daedalus Variations aliens are still out there, to say nothing of all that nice tech the followers of the Ori just left around the galaxy when they left.

Then there's the political issues that crop up when you remember the Pegasus' Alliance is still a thing, the Hebridan are still out there, Galar is an Earth protectorate that's ironically more advanced then we are, the power vacuum the Goa'uld Empire left will not have been filled, and we are responsible for protecting the humans of other worlds because with great xeno tech comes great responsibility.

And that's before dealing with Earth's internal politics if someone decides to finally spill the beans. That's a whole god damn season right there.

Hawki:

Okay, it's more accurate to say that I like Universe because its second season was a marked improvement over the first, but for me, it goes SG-1>SGU>SGA>SGI. Universe is flawed, but at least did its own thing, whereas Atlantis is more SG-1 2.0.

To me, Universe felt like a soap opera set in space with a few random Stargate references thrown in. Atlantis worked because it started out as just "SG-1 but elsewhere" and then developed into it's own version of it while still being similar in style to SG-1.

Bindal:

Hawki:

To me, Universe felt like a soap opera set in space with a few random Stargate references thrown in. Atlantis worked because it started out as just "SG-1 but elsewhere" and then developed into it's own version of it while still being similar in style to SG-1.

I hate to say it, but Universe's cancellation was a mercy killing. It really needed somebody who could do a good season-long story arc, but for some reason the people behind it kept dropping the ball on that. You'd keep getting plot points that COULD propel the story for an entire season if they actually got developed, but each one would then be dropped the next episode out of apparent boredom. Even major mythology points - like the actual purpose of the spaceship - would get a single line of dialogue in an episode, and never get seen in action.

So, in the two seasons the show was on the air, they easily had five seasons worth of potential story that never got developed beyond "here's a neat idea!". It really needed a Stephen Moffat or JMS.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here