Zero Punctuation: Prey

Prey

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Prey.

Watch Video

How dissatisfying that the most exciting part of Prey 2017 (demo) was that fake helicopter.

It appears Yahtzee liked it?! 2017 seems to be shaping up to be a pretty good game year for him. Honestly though between games like this, RE7, Persona 5, etc. this year has been unusually decent for most gamers.

Man, had it not been for Outlast 2 and Sniper: Ghost Warrior, this year would be on a hot streak. I personally don't see Yahtzee reviewing Bendy and the Ink Machine because I figured his fear of animatronics might not have improved since the days FNAF ruled the charts.

Prey (2017) is nothing more than a placeholder game to keep the IP firmly in Bethesda's clutches.

If it wasn't called Prey and if it wouldn't have these silly, ESRB-friendly smoke monsters that give me serious Lost flashbacks, I'd have bought it by now.

Instead, I installed the original Prey (2006) and finished it over the weekend.

Man, you wouldn't believe how much I long for proper games that maybe aren't as clean and shiny as newer titles, but oh so much more fun to play.

I also feel like I was too harsh with my judgement of Bioshock Infinite... looking back, it was one of the more inspired titles, even though I still think the ending is a bit shite.

Headdrivehardscrew:
Prey (2017) is nothing more than a placeholder game to keep the IP firmly in Bethesda's clutches.

If it wasn't called Prey and if it wouldn't have these silly, ESRB-friendly smoke monsters that give me serious Lost flashbacks, I'd have bought it by now.

Instead, I installed the original Prey (2006) and finished it over the weekend.

Man, you wouldn't believe how much I long for proper games that maybe aren't as clean and shiny as newer titles, but oh so much more fun to play.

I also feel like I was too harsh with my judgement of Bioshock Infinite... looking back, it was one of the more inspired titles, even though I still think the ending is a bit shite.

Personally I thought the original Prey was rather mediocre, I think the new one is much better.

As for Yahtzee's comment about it not being an effective horror game, well i'd argue it's not really trying to be horror like say Dead Space is.

I played a bit of the demo and was more annoying than fun. Mainly what annoyed me was the mimics disappearing all the time and then gnawing at my back along with my first weapon after my melee weapon being instead of the usual pistol, was some gun that turned things into styrofoam that I couldn't aim for shit against the mimics and often gets in my way when I'm trying to escape from the enemies, getting me killed and causing me to rage quit.

After that and the good reviews I've seen, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I want to give the game a second chance.

Headdrivehardscrew:

It really isn't.

They didn't give a shit about maintaining that IP. It wasn't worth anything. It had one crappy game that people only remember because of this new one reminding them.

Arkane just liked the name, and hey, might as well use it since nobody else is.

So The Surge is up next week, then?

Zhukov:

Headdrivehardscrew:

It really isn't.

They didn't give a shit about maintaining that IP. It wasn't worth anything. It had one crappy game that people only remember because of this new one reminding them.

And also because, in classic Bethesda fashion, it now allows them to abuse the snot out of US trademark law and sue the pants off anyone who names their game anything remotely similar.

Yes, I did back "Prey for the Gods", why do you ask?

rgrekejin:
And also because, in classic Bethesda fashion, it now allows them to abuse the snot out of US trademark law and sue the pants off anyone who names their game anything remotely similar.

Yeah, bit miffed about that myself.

Prey for the Gods looks like a fun little Shadow of the Colossus rip off.

Do you know what they're planning to call it now?

Zhukov:

rgrekejin:

Praey for the Gods with the latter that's a and e fused together

Rangaman:

Yup, hope Yahtzee likes it more then he did Lords of the Fallen, i'm digging it so far and i've never gotten into any of these Souls-esque games before. Probably because this one has a more interesting theme.

Bindal:

Zhukov:

rgrekejin:

Praey for the Gods with the latter that's a and e fused together

That's not Bethesda talking, that's their parent company Zenimax Media.

Zhukov:

Headdrivehardscrew:

It really isn't.

From what I read in interviews, it was Bethesda who insisted on them using the name "Prey" and Arkane didn't really object since they couldn't think of a better title to describe the game anyways.

darkrage6:

Rangaman:

Yup, hope Yahtzee likes it more then he did Lords of the Fallen, i'm digging it so far and i've never gotten into any of these Souls-esque games before. Probably because this one has a more interesting theme.

I thought Bloodbourne had a nice (well, interesting) theme.

Tried it, didn't like it, found it boring, I wanted to like it but just couldn't. So I took advantage of Bethesda's PC "demo" and refunded it.

Rangaman:

darkrage6:

Rangaman:

I can see why people like it, but i'm not into the whole Victorian theme.

Why yes, I did notice that little one-eyed green blob resembled Futurama's Brain slugs.

darkrage6:

Rangaman:

darkrage6:

Even if it involves smacking werewolves around with rusty sawblades in the most gothic city that ever gothiced?

Also, something something eyes something something BLLLLLLUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDD!!!

Dalisclock:

darkrage6:

Rangaman:

Even if it involves smacking werewolves around with rusty sawblades in the most gothic city that ever gothiced?

Also, something something eyes something something BLLLLLLUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDD!!!

Nah, ancient gothic settings never really interested me.

Huh, based on the number of posts, people don't seem to be particularly interested in this game.

"Mr. Henderson"

Heheh, I got that reference.

Also guessing the brain bug is meant to be a zoob.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 61069)