Zero Punctuation: The Surge

The Surge

Yahtzee reviews The Surge

Watch Video

My new favorite phrase is "Smack my glitch up".

Well done Yahtzee! :)

Yow. It's been a good long while since we heard Yahtzee take a steaming dump on a game.

So whats with all the super late uploads? This is like the third week in a row the Escapist has had problems with ZP's time.

Silentpony:
So whats with all the super late uploads? This is like the third week in a row the Escapist has had problems with ZP's time.

According to Yahtzee, it's something on The Escapist end.

I personally got far more enjoyment out of the Surge then I ever did out of any of the Souls games.

I can't wait until 3 years up to now where everything is The Witcher III/The new Prey/That Horizon game, because these times where everything is trying to be Dark Souls is more frustrating than annoying. I miss those times where everything wanted to be System Shock 2, and some even succeeded.

Good, Yahtzee, good. Release your anger! Let the hate flow through you!

You made a mid-90s "I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Mt.-Dew" soft drink cry.

Igor-Rowan:
I miss those times where everything wanted to be System Shock 2...

Prey came out like a half-hour ago.

Probably wise to make sure your intentionally challenging game is as polished and glitch free as can be before hurling it like a rock of potassium into the restless seas of impatience. Even bullshit RNG systems know when and where to tow the line.

Somebody should make a dark souls clone where you primary method of defense is exploiting glitches within the world. Experimentation would be key. And you could legitimately use the defense of "that's not a bug..." without another part of your soul dying inside.

Pyrian:

Igor-Rowan:
I miss those times where everything wanted to be System Shock 2...

Prey came out like a half-hour ago.

Right?! Shocks are all over the place! Pretty sure Yahtzee even mentions System Shock in his Prey video.

Damn, this game looked like it had so much promise.

Also, where did you get that post of Dr Bashir? I need to know, for science.

I literally lol'd on this one. Haven't done that in too long for Zero Punctuation.

The "Tropic of Fuckabout" is brilliant.

On the irritating side, part of my job is setting up and maintaining electrically-powered equipment, and now the word "surge" is ruined for me. Damn you Yahtzee.

Don't rightly understand how games manage to glitch people straight through the floor. First Hovering Ground Lady from Skyrim and now this. I suppose it has to do with the collision meshes and visible meshes having to both be manually built, separately, but that sounds like a pretty terrible way to have to build levels.

Steve the Pocket:
Don't rightly understand how games manage to glitch people straight through the floor. First Hovering Ground Lady from Skyrim and now this. I suppose it has to do with the collision meshes and visible meshes having to both be manually built, separately, but that sounds like a pretty terrible way to have to build levels.

There are a lot of ways to mess with collisions, for example animations can change hitboxes and physics engine might try to react on that by saying this part is below hitbox so fall down won't you or characters might have a state of being on ground to ignore some physics calculations and control other animations. Or character might just go too fast and a bad frame skip might skip a few calculations bypassing the calculations all together. For example in surge when you execute an enemy the animation tries to sync with the enemy and it might cause you to float in midair and sometimes go over the fences and the enemy might be somewhere far away because it collided to other collisions.

Also you can create tools to simplify the collision meshes from more accurate meshes and it might cause small inaccurasies that for the most time wont cause anything and can improve performance but in rare cases cause things to go haywire. Anyway there are multiple ways to screw up collisions even if the meshes were perfectly accurate to the geometry.

Xsjadoblayde:
Probably wise to make sure your intentionally challenging game is as polished and glitch free as can be before hurling it like a rock of potassium into the restless seas of impatience. Even bullshit RNG systems know when and where to tow the line.

Somebody should make a dark souls clone where you primary method of defense is exploiting glitches within the world. Experimentation would be key. And you could legitimately use the defense of "that's not a bug..." without another part of your soul dying inside.

Didn't encounter any glitches while playing the Surge myself, Yahtzee must've just got really unlucky, like I did with Alien Isolation where the glitches were almost Unity levels of awful.

A really funny one this time. Always gotta remember to tune in even for the games I've no plans to ever touch.

Wait? Did Yathzee play Hyper Light Drifter and not tell us? Was there a review I missed or something?

Why have you been holding out on us, Yathzee?

The Souls community has been talking this game up big time, but I was skeptical as soon as I saw Deck 13 involved. I've made multiple attempts at getting through Lords of the Fallen and I always get bored and quit around level 40-ish. It's boring, the story isn't engaging, and it's ridiculously easy. I'm sure that this game is neat and all but it sounds like more of the same.

Yeah, I'll just stick with Salt&Sanctuary if I want a Dark Souls fix then.

Isn't Hollow Knight also a Souls-like? Has anyone played it? Is it worth a try?

nightowlc:
The "Tropic of Fuckabout" is brilliant.

It is a highly accurate definition that I suspect will get a lot of use in the near future, as more companies try to cover up the 1/3rd of a game they are trying to sell for full price.

Good GOOD... Let the hate flow through you...

Dalisclock:

Its a metroidvania. Which isn't a definineg characteristic of "souls-like" considering Demon's Souls and Nioh are level based.

Apothecary2:

Dalisclock:

Its a metroidvania. Which isn't a definineg characteristic of "souls-like" considering Demon's Souls and Nioh are level based.

Fair enough. It's just that Souls-like gets thrown around so often nowadays that it's getting hard to tell. I realize that the souls games are offshoots of the Metroidvania genre(and Zelda as well) so there's a decent amount of overlap.

I'm getting the feeling that some people are desperate for another Dark Souls despite the fact FROM has made 5 of them at this point and there's a slew of other games trying to be the next Dark Souls. Which is probably behind the bizarre insistence that "Bloodborne 2: CONFIRMED!" I keep seeing in gaming news, despite the fact FROM has insisted they're done with it for the foreseeable future.

Somebody should make a Souls-like with good controls and precision, just a super-hard fighting game, rather than a pattern-recognition, learn collision-boxes, roll-around survival game.

lololol best review in ages. laughed so hard and so many great takeaways - tropic of fuckabout. this gets my vote for game of the year purely because it woke Yahtz up from his happy gaming stupor and brought him back to us, full rage and all. now he just needs to speak faster too - me thinks he is slowing down with age. GREAT REVIEW. A+

Dalisclock:

Apothecary2:

Dalisclock:

Fair enough. It's just that Souls-like gets thrown around so often nowadays that it's getting hard to tell. I realize that the souls games are offshoots of the Metroidvania genre(and Zelda as well) so there's a decent amount of overlap.

I'm getting the feeling that some people are desperate for another Dark Souls despite the fact FROM has made 5 of them at this point and there's a slew of other games trying to be the next Dark Souls. Which is probably behind the bizarre insistence that "Bloodborne 2: CONFIRMED!" I keep seeing in gaming news, despite the fact FROM has insisted they're done with it for the foreseeable future.

You'd probably have to boil "Souls like" down to something resembling an actual definition instead of a buzzword for fan boys.

The level design (doesn't show up in Demons Souls) and was Metroidvania (also Zelda, to a certain degree, which people equally ignore) fist anyways. Stamina bars pop up in so many various games its not even a potential definition point.

You're prettymuch left with the soul/xp recovery mechanic and checkpoints respawning enemies (which also isn't terribly uncommon).

Hollow Knight does do the soul recovery thing, though it has no level system, or humanity/embering, so I don't think it really matters too much, especially midwayish through when you have more currency then you can ever use. Thats really about all it does share, outside of some general similarities in themes in the story. As a melee platformer thing its alright. Some later bits get a bit obnoxious with the platforming, and a decent number of skills seem to fall into the useless category (almost everything that requires charge up times).

I had a different negative experience with the third boss. I killed it on the first try and got a V2 weapon that was no use to me because of my weapon proficiency. The single rigged weapons are the only ones that can block and counter enemy attacks without opening yourself up to being hit by their follow up attacks. That is, until NG+ where even the trashiest of trash enemies will stagger you.

What caused me to delete the game from the system though was the final boss battle. The camera would focus on the center of mass instead of on the limb you targeted making the pushing up+attack slide/jump attack not activating. This resulted in somewhere between 100-130 missed attacks (yes i counted) due to the jump or slide not triggering.

The story does speed up after the second and fourth boss battles but... that's far too late. It is extremely dull and unmemorable.

Dalisclock:

It has a Souls-y death system but that's pretty much it. The general atmosphere is kiiinda Soulsy but it has a lot more humour and is a fairly cute in places. It also has tons more music than Souls which obviously changes the feel a lot. It's not an RPG, either, more of a standard metroidvania.

Although it's really fantastic. Highly recommended.

Great commentary video post thank you! Take my picture "smack my glitch up" good one : ) It is 2017 yet devs still cant be bothered to have error detection with clipped terrain geometry. In games like this a role back to a quick save would be good as it preserves the players sense of hard but fair game play.

Getting a victory taken away from you due to a developer technical failure I would think cause potential customers to pass on the game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here