Zero Punctuation: House of the Dead: Overkill

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

WaffleGod:

The only thing I don't really like is the accuracy of the weapons. The bullets don't hit directly where you put the crosshair (even if you zoom in), so taking down targets behind cover from 200+ metres is going to be a pain in the ass if you don't have a sniperrifle.

I tried aiming an AK47 once in Cambodia. At a target about 100 metres away, aiming down the sight didn't hit a single bodypart! I'm probably just very bad at aiming!

funny review :P , although i do like Killzone 2 a lot

I'm surprised there aren't more rail shooters for the Wii. I guess minigames are easier.

how do you know how many views a video gets?

Also great video but i don't think the wii is for casual gamers only. I do think any great game that was going to come out for the wii has already come out. Exept for the zelda and metroid titles I've heard of.

Am I the only one that didn't catch how this video was him 'maintaining his Nintendo hate"?

It seemed to me like he said he understood their decisions and that it's not a bad thing and that the game he just played on a Nintendo system was fun for what it was trying to be.

quickpaw:

Oh and that's your opinion.

Yeah, you're a fanboy. This conversation is over.

Knight Templar:

quickpaw:

For a Gone Gonzo you are incredibly petty and immature.

Oh and I love how you have to try and be the one to finish the conversation even though I had already done that. Like I said petty and immature

quickpaw:

Knight Templar:

quickpaw:

Don't judge a person by post count or join date, judge them on their actions as I did with you.

Knight Templar:

quickpaw:

Knight Templar:

quickpaw:

Don't judge a pserson by post count or join date, judge them on their actions as I did with you.

You're right. I'll judge you by your spelling. pserson indeed

quickpaw:

Knight Templar:

quickpaw:

Knight Templar:

quickpaw:

Don't judge a pserson by post count or join date, judge them on their actions as I did with you.

Do you think I seriously meant to type that? Do you know what a typo is?

Nevermind you've proven your a fanboy good job, but I'm finished here.

EDIT: Message? That, didn't happen, if you must lie to prove a point it clearly isn't worth proving.

Knight Templar:

quickpaw:

Knight Templar:

quickpaw:

Knight Templar:

quickpaw:

Do you think I seriously ment to type that? Do you know what a typo is?

Nevermind you've proven your a fanboy good job, but I'm finished here.

Yes of course correcting someone's spelling makes them a fanboy. Damm right you're finished here because I've won the argument. Oh and ment, nice work again.

EDIT: Just to further demonstrate Knight's immaturity I have just received a message from him titled "You're a moron". CHarming isn't here

Treblaine:

A single weapon IS MOST DEFINITELY NOT realistic, a perfect example is wielding an anti-tank rocket launcher, even the lowest grunt would always be expected to have his rifle with him and not expected to run into the fold without a proper weapon to defend themself.

Okay, a little advice. Most games are not realistic. A one weapon system with a pistol sidearm is very realistic. I'm guessing your idea of realism is ghost recon or some other game. If you read about any real military engagement, you would know that you have the average grunt, then the odd one or two out of ten, with support weapons e.g. a M249, or the odd one or two with a M203.
In real life, all the soldiers aren't kitted out with more than one gun.

And how the hell is it realistic to issue a 6 shot revolver as a back up weapon anyway? They should have a 15-20 shot automatic pistols, no army has issued a revolver since the First World War, magnum or not it is a ridiculous weapon to issue to front line troops. Actually a far better weapons would be this that was made specifically for this scenario:

This is why you should stop whining about a game you have only played the demo of. Try the multiplayer, see what kind of pistol you are given in it.

Also, Sev is not a "regular grunt" as it is quite clear he does not stick close with his platoon and rarely even stays with his 4 man squad, often it is him fighting alone, he can't say "Cover me While I go and Look for a Rocket Launcher then Get into Position to Shoot It!!!!" he has to take the initiative himself and have both weapons. He is ordered to go on extraordinary missions with very little support, if that isn't special forces, he is at least some sort of commando trooper.

Read Sniper One. Tell me then if soldiers need to be Rambo or SAS to achieve the extra-ordinary.

Also, what is with the no under-barrel grenade launcher, it is practically standard issue in modern armies now and was even in Killzone 1, wtf happened? There are also pump action under barrel shotguns for assault rifles now, is there a new wave of minimalism taken over armies of the future or is the ISA just run by a bunch of cheap bastards?

Not every trooper has M203s. And if there was a war on the scale of K2, I doubt that every grunt would be given the full works. Again, it's being realisitc.

It is also common for a sniper, especially a lone sniper, to carry a secondary weapon like a submachine gun for close in self defence. Take Simo Hšyhš, A Finnish war Hero who killed over 700 invading soviet troops in only 100 days, over 200 of those killed were by his submachine gun. He also got shot in the head yet still had the presence of mind to shoot his attacker before slipping into a coma. Yes, he did all this without regenerating health or save checkpoints, history's bona fide badass.

It is not modern practice for snipers to carry submachine guns. Again, read Sniper One.

So you ask what I want in a video game? There is the phrase "less is more" but sometimes less is quite simply less, GG removed and reduced FAR too much from the regular formula and polished it in all the wrong places. Halo was a revolution as it got rid of all the clutter of having 10-20 weapons, purifying it by forcing you to try and get two weapons to complement each other, learn how to use them in combination. COD and many other games would follow but with only one weapon as in KZ2, there is no synergy, there is no mixing and matching like shotgun up close then rifle for a long shot, you just stick to the most vanilla weapon in the game and never put it down, ie the M82.

Coming from someone who has only played the demo, that's speculation and utter crap. Depending what situation you're in, you will change weapons, whether on or offline. In CoD, you rarely change what weapon you have (CoD:WaW). You don't need to because a headshot is a headshot and it takes too much time to change between guns. If you actually bothered to play more then the demo, you would realise almost all of your complaints aren't valid.

theultimateend:
Am I the only one that didn't catch how this video was him 'maintaining his Nintendo hate"?

It seemed to me like he said he understood their decisions and that it's not a bad thing and that the game he just played on a Nintendo system was fun for what it was trying to be.

I'd like to think that so many people jumped on the "Nintendo hate" train just because they're fans of core games, and not because they're thick in the head.
Yahtzee has a positive attitude towards casual games (see his peggle review), in fact judging from this review he considers Guitar Hero to be a kind of "Casual Party Game". His attitude towards Nintendo seems to be that of "Making lots of cash and annoying the fanboys? Sounds just like what I'm doing. Good for them".
If Yahtzee would decide to do a full review of Killzone2, it would probably sound very similar to this one.By the way, does he still live with Mat?

omg this was so hilarious!

lets hope he reviews Resident Evil 5

For the letter K:
Kings Bounty: The Legend

Wounded Melody:
I pretty much watch cutscenes or sometimes people playing the actual games just to save time and money. VG companies should probably sell 'videos' of nothing but cutscenes from each game they make, so people like me could enjoy without having to play through (yea I know it's not as fun and not all games have excellent storylines, but I'd love too see a lot of rpgs' cutscenes).

They did. It was called Metal Gear Solid 4.

This reminds me of "Madness Combat". Violent, and self-parodic. view my thread in the off topic discussion forum if not to chastise me.

Heh, Yahtzee's reviews are better when they're of Wii games. This one was great.

Well I plowed through Overkills easier playthrough in a few days and the longer/harder versions with a bud in one session so the game is pretty damn short on the top of it all. Just like Yahtzee said the best part of the game really lies in the cutscenes and the way the whole story (if you can call it that) is depicted.
Through the game is short I propably still would recommend it to anyone who, as I, have been cursed to owning a Wii and still holding hope for some serious action on the system. I'm not saying that the Wii is a bad console, but Ntendo reinventing itself as etch-a-scetch really has been a grand disapointment. Wii is clearly a step forward in the terms of hardware compared to GC (being innovative and such) but a HUGE step back in release policy (seriously... FUCK COOKING MAMA).
I don't know why I even wrote here. Just wanted to give my opinion on the matter (without getting into the whole "I'll drown you with screen-grabs that are nearly identical"-part). Overkill is still one of the better games for the Wii and atleast I have enjoyed it since I bought it and if Madworld has even the slightest chance of being the long awaited NEW good game for the Wii i'll definately buy it. (Hope I didn't make myself sound like a fanboy because that's propably what I am... INSIDE *with a girly voice*)

Edit: It is also hugely creepy that the guy who wrote the messege above this one has the exact same joining in day that I have.

Its funny, how looking through every post, that so many more posts were defending/attacking Killzone 2 rather than discussing the review he posted...whatever, we'll roll with it. And just out of curiosity, how come goodwins law hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet?

oh, and to mazty, the whole point of a demo is to give an idea of what a game will be like, im not sure what you think they are for, but treblaine does have the right idea of how to look at a demo. At the same time, however, mazty would apear to be right about the grenade launcher attached to weaponry, as this is a game, not real life, and as such in order to be bought, which is any developers objective, it must be fun. This, however, could again be countered by the fact that KZ2 appears to want to be a realistic shooter, and that there was a gun that had a grenade launcher in the first killzone...and so on until yahtzee outrages them with something else and they feel the need to start up another long argument between other people.

but of course, since this post is TL;DR, these two people will either ignore me, or unite against me but for the fact that virtually no one will read their long synopsis, and none will be influenced in the slightest, I think I can safely ignore their pairing-up.

To end on a completly unrelated note, I thought vantage point was brilliant all the way through, although mazty thinks otherwise and treblaine hasn't posted his opinion yet.

quickpaw:
Well that was blatantly yet another anti Nintendo rant. God Yahtzee is such a fanboy.

Edit: Well I've clearly kicked a wasps nest here.

Yes, and no. Yahtzee is such an endearing fellow in that he seems to hate almost everything 'near equally.

Chibz:

quickpaw:
Well that was blatantly yet another anti Nintendo rant. God Yahtzee is such a fanboy.

Yes, and no. Yahtzee is such an endearing fellow in that he seems to hate almost everything 'near equally.

No not at all. He harps on about Nintendo being evil and how its leaders kill kittens for fun. And yet for the 360 he bums it at every possible chance. Take for example the rrod, if any other console had a flaw like this he would never let it go and yet because he is a microsoft fanboy he has barely even mentioned it. Thus he is a fanboy

quickpaw:

Chibz:

quickpaw:

No not at all. He harps on about Nintendo being evil and how its leaders kill kittens for fun. And yet for the 360 he bums it at every possible chance. Take for example the rrod, if any other console had a flaw like this he would never let it go and yet because he is a microsoft fanboy he has barely even mentioned it. Thus he is a fanboy

Oh, for god's sake. Get over it. Just get over it. If you hate his apparent bias sooooo damn much, why are you here? Why are you rambling about his preferences? LEAVE.

Bias or no, Yahtzee has every right to harp on who he wants to harp and prefer who he wants to prefer. It's called prerogative. It's called Choice. It's called preference. There are so many different words for it. But in the end he doesn't have to please you or me or anyone else. Hell, at least he's honest about his hatred where as so many review sites kiss ass.

I assure you, Nintendo is a big boy. It can handle itself. It doesn't need the Justice League of fanboys to run out to its rescue. I'm sure, at the end of the day, they clean their butts with money and laugh about Zero Punctuation. So why can't you? Or does Nintendo not pay you for your loyalty? I mean, clearly Microsoft and Sony do!

So play what you want to play, don't play what you don't like, but in the end stop fretting about what other people think. Yahtzee is just sharing an opinion and you are free to disagree but please don't get hung up on it. I am sure you can enjoy Nintendo's products even if he doesn't like them.

Edit:

And as I re-watch the review, it's funny, despite all the negative stuff he says about Nintendo, he ends up speaking more fondly about the game and bashing Killzone 2--to remind everyone, that's not a Nintendo game but a SONY game--instead.

To simplify:

House of Dead > Killzone

To simplify again:

Nintendo > Sony

That's what he's saying. Ho boy. I guess you guys feel silly. So much for his anti-Nintendo agenda.

Autocracy:

quickpaw:

Chibz:

quickpaw:

LEAVE.

I assure you, Nintendo is a big boy. It can handle itself. It doesn't need the Justice League of fanboys to run out to its rescue. I'm sure, at the end of the day, they clean their butts with money and laugh about Zero Punctuation. So why can't you? Or does Nintendo not pay you for your loyalty? I mean, clearly Microsoft and Sony do!

Edit:

And as I re-watch the review, it's funny, despite all the negative stuff he says about Nintendo, he ends up speaking more fondly about the game and bashing Killzone 2--to remind everyone, that's not a Nintendo game but a SONY game--instead.

To simplify:

House of Dead > Killzone

To simplify again:

Nintendo > Sony

That's what he's saying. Ho boy. I guess you guys feel silly. So much for his anti-Nintendo agenda.

Okay now that your rant is over I will respond to you on a point by point basis.

It's nice to see that you can argue maturely, starting by telling me to leave

I'm sorry I offended you by insulting your messiah but you still need to calm down.

Justice league of fanboys oh you do make me laugh, that's what the yahtzee trolls always say. Look back through this thread and his one on ssbb. The people defending Nintendo are outnumbered 10 to 1 and yet the Yahtzee fanboys still preach on about being ganged up on by an organised group like you have just done. Honestly it's quite pathetic.

You cannot simplify it like that. Comparing all that negative stuff to 2 seconds worth of insulting is like comparing Hitler to a normal murdered. It just doesn't work.

Oh and no I don't feel silly at all. It would take a lot more then an Anonymous Source to make me feel daft.

ho hum
zp is funny and all but it do find it interesting that after reviewing COD4, CRYSIS and GOW2 he hasn't done kz2.

GOW2 review ended favorably. I would like to know why he goes to the trouble of reviewing fps's titles that appear on the XBOX and maybe the PS3. But doesn't seem interested in the PS3's fps exclusive except when it was Haze but that was gonna be crap anyway. Is it his *kof* xbox/microsoft/pc sponsors *kof* who are calling the shots?

And brilliant ploy invoking killzone 2's name only to review some throw away game on the karaoke machine. talk about fishing for web traffic.

and last point:
why doesnt he play/review online multi-player I mean its 2009!!!
I know Australia is a sheety hot island in the middle of nowhere but he must have a few friends who also have da interweb access?

Most fps's single player campaign are pretty much boot camp for the online multi-player. I just think voicing your opinion about 30% of a game in some instances does not really count as a review.

He makes good points and is often spot on about games, but at least have the guts to review another consoles exclusives if you are going to do it for the xbox fps exclusives.

Maybe his comments about killzone where misinterpreted.

Maybe he just doesnt like fps's(fair enough) and cant be bothered reviewing yet another fps, but by him saying that its gear of world war 2 is he maybe saying that kz2 is a great best fps because its has all the great stuff from other fps's and is just done graphically better... ?

wow, theres a review on overkill and people rant about killzone 2. Its fair enough as its a pretty good game. I think that nintendo have enough money now from the wii that they could design a whole new wii with amazing grpahics, and a improved motion sensor system, and enough power in it to make one of those big bang black hole machines that dont work.

Then they should call it the Chubba, and exchange all wii's with the chubba and giv them an amazing zombie game and a new zelda, and duke nukem 4eva.

Oh and someguy earlier on said that its stupid or unrealistic how you have a magnum (which were last issued by the army in ww2), Well thing is Killzone 2 is ww2, so why not. Cos helghan is germany, helghast are nazis, and the first level you play is the d-day landing, as you run up the beach.

wooooo by the chubba at all good retail stores 2day.

theultimateend:

Heck, I'm someone who has no problem with what Nintendo's doing (shouldn't a true "hardcore" gamer be someone who loves games in any genre, including casual?), and I didn't see anything really hostile here either. Heck, he's saying that OVERKILL is a good game.

I think the complaint with KILLZONE 2 graphically isn't a lack of detail so much as it's the same thing we've seen in so many vaguely futuristic FPSes. This specific approach- space marines, power armor, alien hordes, "industrial" surroundings- is getting kinda overdone.

quickpaw:

Autocracy:

quickpaw:

Chibz:

quickpaw:

LEAVE.

Edit:

To simplify:

House of Dead > Killzone

To simplify again:

Nintendo > Sony

Okay now that your rant is over I will respond to you on a point by point basis.

I'm sorry I offended you by insulting your messiah but you still need to calm down.

Justice league of fanboys oh you do make me laugh, that's what the yahtzee trolls always say. Look back through this thread and his one on ssbb. The people defending Nintendo are outnumbered 10 to 1 and yet the Yahtzee fanboys still preach on about being ganged up on by an organised group like you have just done. Honestly it's quite pathetic.

You cannot simplify it like that. Comparing all that negative stuff to 2 seconds worth of insulting is like comparing Hitler to a normal murdered. It just doesn't work.

Oh and no I don't feel silly at all. It would take a lot more then an Anonymous Source to make me feel daft.

I'm sorry Autocracy, this is what happens when you argue with idiots: You go down to their level and they beat you with experience.

---------------------------

"He harps on about Nintendo being evil and how its leaders kill kittens for fun." -quickpaw

Whoa! Where in the hell did he directly link Nintendo to killing kittens for fun? I mean, that's pretty serious...

Sounds to me Yahtzee said that Nintendo keeps taking the low-brow approach, it cannot be recognized as a serious gaming platform, targeting people who don't play games on a normal basis in order to increase sales. I certainly didn't hear Yahtzee say anything about Nintendo killing kittens...

I did, however, here him say Nintendo is catering to the mentally retarded. I wonder, which one are you...

Offatwork:

quickpaw:

Autocracy:

quickpaw:

Chibz:

quickpaw:

LEAVE.

Edit:

To simplify:

House of Dead > Killzone

To simplify again:

Nintendo > Sony

I'm sorry Autocracy, this is what happens when you argue with idiots: You go down to their level and they beat you with experience.

---------------------------

"He harps on about Nintendo being evil and how its leaders kill kittens for fun." -quickpaw

Whoa! Where in the hell did he directly link Nintendo to killing kittens for fun? I mean, that's pretty serious...

Sounds to me Yahtzee said that Nintendo keeps taking the low-brow approach, it cannot be recognized as a serious gaming platform, targeting people who don't play games on a normal basis in order to increase sales. I certainly didn't hear Yahtzee say anything about Nintendo killing kittens...

I did, however, here him say Nintendo is catering to the mentally retarded. I wonder, which one are you...

*sigh* when do the Yahtzee trolls get bored? This argument has long finished so I do not feel the need to respond to you. Oh and if you want to get technical I am actually classed as retarded. Happy now?

Edit: It does entertain me that every single one of your posts so far has been on a yahtzee thread. You are one hell of a fanboy.

Yay no killzone 2 review. I don't want to see 50 million fanboys complaining.

quickpaw:
*sigh* when do the Yahtzee trolls get bored? This argument has long finished so I do not feel the need to respond to you. Oh and if you want to get technical I am actually classed as retarded. Happy now?

Edit: It does entertain me that every single one of your posts so far has been on a yahtzee thread. You are one hell of a fanboy.

A: Grow up. This isn't trolling, what you are doing is trolling. People go to this website to see Yahtzee's reviews because they want to. You like to spout how much you hate Yahtzee for his opinion. I'm pretty sure you're the one who's trying to pick a fight; and you got one.

B: Yahtzee and I share the same opinion on video games; that's all. It's called using your head while playing a video game. I don't like the way he associates Republicans as "I like to blow everyone's head off with a gun because war is cool" thought process. But I don't go off on a tangent telling people that his opinion is absolute trash because he likes to kill babies for fun. That's the difference between you and me. I only come on this site to watch his reviews, I couldn't care less about anything else on here. Posts from, you said it, retarded people like you make me laugh and I like to put people like you back in your place.

C: Keep spouting your typical B.S. It usually comes out as, "Durr" to the mass public.

Offatwork:

quickpaw:

A: Grow up. This isn't trolling, what you are doing is trolling. People go to this website to see Yahtzee's reviews because they want to. You like to spout how much you hate Yahtzee for his opinion. I'm pretty sure you're the one who's trying to pick a fight; and you got one.

B: Yahtzee and I share the same opinion on video games; that's all. It's called using your head while playing a video game. I don't like the way he associates Republicans as "I like to blow everyone's head off with a gun because war is cool" thought process. But I don't go off on a tangent telling people that his opinion is absolute trash because he likes to kill babies for fun. That's the difference between you and me. I only come on this site to watch his reviews, I couldn't care less about anything else on here. Posts from, you said it, retarded people like you make me laugh and I like to put people like you back in your place.

C: Keep spouting your typical B.S. It usually comes out as, "Durr" to the mass public.

*sigh* Are you done yet? Cos I'm sure bored of you. Btw I wasn't trying to pick a fight. Feel free to look back at my original post, all I did was state my opinion and then I got attacked for it by the yahtzee fanboys like yourself.

House of the Dead was teh shitz for dreamcast hope its even better for the wii

Damn futuristic space nazis!! More o' dem dead cunts haha, nice poster.

I actually bought this game based on this review and I bloody like it!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here