Review: Resident Evil 5

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 5 has the flaws you've come to expect from the series, but it doesn't matter - you'll love playing it, anyway.

Read Full Article

Not sure I'll be getting this. Left 4 Dead is the only zombie game I'll ever need.

I love your video segments.

Can't wait to play this. Tomorrow or I'll kill my vendor ;)

Ahh your reviews are always well done, I will definatly check out res 5 to bad the couldn't hire actors with talent though.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
Ahh your reviews are always well done, I will definatly check out res 5 to bad the couldn't hire actors with talent though.

At this point, it's sort of their trademark.

To be fair, not ALL of the voice acting is bad. But the stuff that is bad...hoo boy.

orannis62:

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

At this point, it's sort of their trademark.

I'm pretty sure if I ever played a Resident Evil game that had a thought provoking plot and meaningful dialogue I'd want my money back.

I agree on the main negative points of this, the inventory and controls (from my experience with the demo) were so stiff and unintuitive it was maddening. Still going to rent this though, great review Susan.

"If you knock an enemy back and want to follow up with your knife or even a punch, it will take you so long to run to him that he'll be ready for you by the time you get there."

Never had this problem in the demo or RE4. It's a core gameplay mechanic & actually quite forgiving. Shoot, charge, kick, repeat.

Also... the plots are "impenetrable"...? You cannot be serious.

There still aren't enough facepalms in the world for people who expect though-provoking narrative and sublime acting from a b-movie pastiche. If I was Shinji Mikami I'd have jumped off a very tall building several years ago.

I played the demo and was thoroughly unimpressed. The zombies were sweet, as always, but the controls were so exceedingly bad and clunky I found it impossible to really enjoy the game.

Maybe I'm picky or something but I think I'll be sticking with L4D to fulfill my zombie-killing needs.

Hexadecimal16:
I played the demo and was thoroughly unimpressed. The zombies were sweet, as always, but the controls were so exceedingly bad and clunky I found it impossible to really enjoy the game.

Maybe I'm picky or something but I think I'll be sticking with L4D to fulfill my zombie-killing needs.

Left 4 Dead doesn't have ZOMBIE SHARKS though! I mean cmon, its a zombie and its a shark, how cool is that.

As a fan of RE4 I couldn't be happier with how this game came out. My only slight gripe is that they included a 'classic RE4 controls' option, but in that option the fire and reload buttons are switched from what they were in RE4! As a huge fan of RE4 who has played it through multiple times I found it a tad hard to get used to at first, but playing the demo has made the controls flow effortlessly for me, and I can't wait to put that experience to the test in the full length game.

I haven't been this excited for a game in... a long time :)

I won't buy the game but at least your review supplement almost changed my mind.

Taerdin:
Left 4 Dead doesn't have ZOMBIE SHARKS though! I mean cmon, its a zombie and its a shark, how cool is that.

That is pretty awesome, but L4D's control scheme doesn't make me sit there bewildered wondering what the hell the devs were thinking.

Hexadecimal16:

Taerdin:

That is pretty awesome, but L4D's control scheme doesn't make me sit there bewildered wondering what the hell the devs were thinking.

I guess, but I mean its the source engine so obviously you've had experience with it...

If you had played RE4 for more than a couple hours you would have no problems with RE5's control scheme, you would be used to it. Decrying a control scheme because it takes a little getting used to is somewhat silly imo :P

I have no problems playing RE5 at all if the demo is any indication. I'm actually glad they didn't stray too far from RE4 as my biggest fear was that they would and would fail at making it... how you say... good! RE4 is amazing and if the similarities between these two titles are any indication RE5 should be quite grand as well :)

I don't see all the much different from RE4 here, but then again that game was awesome to play...

Taerdin:
I guess, but I mean its the source engine so obviously you've had experience with it...

If you had played RE4 for more than a couple hours you would have no problems with RE5's control scheme, you would be used to it. Decrying a control scheme because it takes a little getting used to is somewhat silly imo :P

Well, there's a difference between a control scheme being foreign to me and a control scheme that feels so unintuitive that I don't even want to play the game to try and get used to it. It's unfortunate because it seems like a really fun game.

Again, maybe I'm just picky.

Zombie sharks are AWESOME.

Taerdin:

If you had played RE4 for more than a couple hours you would have no problems with RE5's control scheme, you would be used to it.

I guess I am the exception to that rule, because I loved playing RE4 on the Gamecube, but the 360 controls were frustrating me to no end. It could just be years of not being used to it, but I was having a lot of problems playing and felt like the game was limiting my enjoyment with the controls. I mean really why does it take Chris 1/2 an hour to turn while aiming, maybe I need to jack the sensitivity up?

I plan to give it another chance, but my first impressions were not so great. Watching Susan play while we captured video for the review helped, there were some nuances to the controls that I didn't figure out from playing the demo. Example, left thumbstick left and right movement become turns while running, instead of strafe. At first I thought you it was impossible to turn while running without the use of a third hand, you would need to be holding Left Trigger + A and trying to move the right thumbstick.

Making a survival horror game co-op seem counter productive to the sence of lonelyness that i'd expect a survival horror game to have.

what is it with ppl thinking that zombies eat brains? that was only one adaptation... jeez

i rather they eat my brains instead of biting my nipples off and turning me into a nipple-less flesh-eating monster

SOOO CLOSE to midnight here wherei live!!!!!! Gamecrazy is where i'll be at midnight!!! (cool thing is, i live like 5 minutes from the one in our town)

good review, but i highly disagree about what you said on AI.

1. Why is the commands system only available for online co-op. Even ashley from RE4 had a "wait" feature, and so does co-op.
2. She does heal when you break a nail in my experience. Since RE5 has the dying meter, i like to save it until then, but she wastes it way too early. She also treats the combination of herbs like regular herbs, so its even less resourceful.
3. A big strategy in RE4/5 is to shoot the face, then melee. That way, only one bullet is wasted. Instead, sheva will waste an entire clip into the body, and is a very inconvenient thing in a game that focuses around ammo preservation.

Then there are random things like her not picking up items, but doing it at other times, not listening to your commands, not doing their proper action when you restrain bosses. List goes on with my issues in this game.

Now, now. No using the z-word. I belive the politicaly correct term in this case is 'the infected'.

Slycne:

Taerdin:

If you had played RE4 for more than a couple hours you would have no problems with RE5's control scheme, you would be used to it.

I guess I am the exception to that rule, because I loved playing RE4 on the Gamecube, but the 360 controls were frustrating me to no end. It could just be years of not being used to it, but I was having a lot of problems playing and felt like the game was limiting my enjoyment with the controls. I mean really why does it take Chris 1/2 an hour to turn while aiming, maybe I need to jack the sensitivity up?

I plan to give it another chance, but my first impressions were not so great. Watching Susan play while we captured video for the review helped, there were some nuances to the controls that I didn't figure out from playing the demo. Example, left thumbstick left and right movement become turns while running, instead of strafe. At first I thought you it was impossible to turn while running without the use of a third hand, you would need to be holding Left Trigger + A and trying to move the right thumbstick.

Well in RE4 unless I am mistaken the same thumbstick would move you forward and back, and always made you turn. The 'other' stick (I played the ps2 version :S) made you 'look around'. This option is still available if you go to to the controls option.

Also my comment about being used to the controls was moreso directed towards my ps2 to ps3 transition, as the controller has stayed the same and the only difference in controls is that they switched square and X for some reason I will not understand. Maybe the Xbox controls are awkward, I really wouldnt know. But the PS3 controls are exactly what I expected, and flow so naturally for me.

Hopefully RE5 will bring enough action to the table for Capcom to get its money back for producing it.

And RE5 probably will; it has a solid fan-base and added co-op. I won't ask 'what's not to like?' but simultaneously, I don't think we can complain about much.

ultimatechance:

1. Why is the commands system only available for online co-op. Even ashley from RE4 had a "wait" feature, and so does co-op.
2. She does heal when you break a nail in my experience. Since RE5 has the dying meter, i like to save it until then, but she wastes it way too early. She also treats the combination of herbs like regular herbs, so its even less resourceful.
3. A big strategy in RE4/5 is to shoot the face, then melee. That way, only one bullet is wasted. Instead, sheva will waste an entire clip into the body, and is a very inconvenient thing in a game that focuses around ammo preservation.

Then there are random things like her not picking up items, but doing it at other times, not listening to your commands, not doing their proper action when you restrain bosses. List goes on with my issues in this game.

I hear what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, but in some cases it comes down to a matter of personal playstyle. Personally, I didn't want her picking up items -- I wanted to decide who got what. Naturally, she's never going to be as good as a human player, but she's still far better than most of the companion AI you get saddled with in games.

Susan Arendt:

ultimatechance:

I hear what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, but in some cases it comes down to a matter of personal playstyle. Personally, I didn't want her picking up items -- I wanted to decide who got what. Naturally, she's never going to be as good as a human player, but she's still far better than most of the companion AI you get saddled with in games.

understandable, but there are times when she is in the "assist jump" area, and with a co-op partner, they could grab the ammo, gold, and treasure, but the AI wont. And another random problem i had was her constantly giving me her items thinking its helpful, when its annoying when i want to decide who gets what.

good shot throwing the "army of darkness" quote at the end. i agree with the zombie-sharks, too. if you havent seen it, there's a film by lucio fulci simply titled "zombie". in this movie is the greatest fight scene of all time: zombie vs shark. think about that for a second, bc it's brillant.

ultimatechance:

Susan Arendt:

ultimatechance:

understandable, but there are times when she is in the "assist jump" area, and with a co-op partner, they could grab the ammo, gold, and treasure, but the AI wont. And another random problem i had was her constantly giving me her items thinking its helpful, when its annoying when i want to decide who gets what.

Interesting, I didn't run into that problem at all. I never had her giving me things I didn't need...but perhaps that's because I was making a point of picking up everything myself. Similarly didn't have a problem with her not grabbing items from areas only she could reach (though perhaps I simply didn't notice).

The gameplay was great and the co-op a lot of fun, the controls definitely could have been better but they wern't bad enough to not make this a worth while purchase.

in that video, where the "zombies" actually driving vehicles? Ok so I think from least dangerous to worst, it goes zombie, flaming zombie, fast zombie, zombie coming at you while covered in killer bees, and now smart zombie. Didn't another resident evil feature zombie sharks? Although they might not have been zombies. But the zombie elephant in I think it might have been 3? That was a nightmare. I remember doing a zombie apocalypse tabletop RP using the White Wolf's World of Darkness, and one guy had his arm torn off by a zombie silverback gorilla.

Can't wait for the PC version! With it's slightly superior graphics, yeah, all the ladies will love me.

Drake the Dragonheart:
in that video, where the "zombies" actually driving vehicles? Ok so I think from least dangerous to worst, it goes zombie, flaming zombie, fast zombie, zombie coming at you while covered in killer bees, and now smart zombie. Didn't another resident evil feature zombie sharks? Although they might not have been zombies. But the zombie elephant in I think it might have been 3? That was a nightmare. I remember doing a zombie apocalypse tabletop RP using the White Wolf's World of Darkness, and one guy had his arm torn off by a zombie silverback gorilla.

Yep, the infected are still capable of just about anything they could do as ordinary humans; the new strain of Las Plagas was engineered to make them more formidable as opponents.

I just finished this game, and its definitely better than RE4 (in my opinion).

I can't wait to replay sections of it again! But seeing as I've basically been playing it for the past 12 hours I should probably take a moment to make sure my girlfriend doesn't forget I exist.

Anyways, if you liked RE4, you will love this game! Its pretty much the same in every way, except there are so many new enemies and new traps and ambushes to get yourself out of, weapons, a real live human partner... its just... wow

Ok so I guess thats a lot of differences... maybe its not the same... but nothing has been changed in any bad way (imo). Even Chris grew on me after a playthrough (though my love for Leon has already been growing inside me for so long).

So from one RE friend to all others who read this, in case there was even the slightest doubt about this game, you will love it I swears! If you're a non RE fan or haven't yet picked it up because the price is scaring you away, RE4 is probably right cheap now... and its an amazing game and way to see if you'd be into this kind of game.

Sorry to gush all that RE love into your review thread but I can't get over how much I love this thing. SERIOUSLY!

I thought this was a great game! Since I spent $120 on it, that's good. But I believe anyone who has played Dead Space will have to acknowledge that that game nailed the feel Resident Evil 5 should have had. It had better controls (save for the one eighty turn feature in RE5) and was scarier. RE5 is too close to an action game not to miss the terror of earlier games...

BUT, Sheva's unlockable tribal outfit (glorified bikini) made up for that, in my opinion. :D And the longbow is awesome! Still, hopefully Capcom can make something a little more like Dead Space next time, rather than have to rely on those kinds of easter eggs.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here