Emails from the Edge VII - The Horrifying Realization that I May Need to Start Parodying Friday the 13th Movie Titles

Emails from the Edge VII - The Horrifying Realization that I May Need to Start Parodying Friday the 13th Movie Titles

It's that time again. Time to take a look at the reader feedback over the last few weeks with another Emails from the Edge, still containing no actual emails.

Read Full Article

In a sense, the best way to make a D&D movie is to just make a Tolkien movie. But in that vein, I feel like The Lord of the Rings has too much gravitas to really represent. No, the best D&D movies are The Hobbit trilogy. Tolkien-esque fantasy? Check. Forced to take a thief just to balance the party? Check. Bunch of weirdos acting out? Check. Slapstick antics in battle? Check. One guy just HAS to go hit on the elf NPC? Check. Party ignores obvious clues and instead implements a fundamentally stupid plan to kill a fire breathing dragon with heat damage? Check. DM has to bail them out with an NPC? Check. Major intra-party squabble over splitting the treasure? Check.

I'm sorry to hear that you are about ready to move on from here again.

I did come across a trailer for The Orville. Which seems like a funny parody of Star Trek. So, I can amend what I previously said about Star Trek and James Bond. Some new storylines could be mined from those franchises if they are willing to deconstruct their storylines. Like someone else observed when responding to my previous post. That would only happen when there is a good writer in charge of the project. It is unlikely that they will hire a writer that would do anything bold with those franchises.

Just had a look at your Patreon. Oh, dear. Maybe if you tighten your belt and move somewhere with a lower cost of living, you could get by on $7/month? You could get a nice Glade plug-in air freshener for Darth Vader's exhaust, assuming there's a compatible plug. Patreon worked pretty well for Jim Sterling and decently for MovieBob. Man, I remember when The Escapist was nothing but articles, and it was awesome, totally essential reading every week. The past is in the past...

Well, certainly not going to begrude you leaving. Site's dying, everyone knows it, just a question of how much of the ship's stores we can steal before it sinks.

Sorry to see you leave, I understand though.

This site is turning into the GameShark website.
-'Guides' fill the front page.
-All the content creators are leaving.
-The forums are sparse with mods losing more and more desire to keep them orderly.

It's been a solid run.

I still miss MySpace.

The FFF was a DAMN fine community.

Pyrian:
In a sense, the best way to make a D&D movie is to just make a Tolkien movie. But in that vein, I feel like The Lord of the Rings has too much gravitas to really represent. No, the best D&D movies are The Hobbit trilogy. Tolkien-esque fantasy? Check. Forced to take a thief just to balance the party? Check. Bunch of weirdos acting out? Check. Slapstick antics in battle? Check. One guy just HAS to go hit on the elf NPC? Check. Party ignores obvious clues and instead implements a fundamentally stupid plan to kill a fire breathing dragon with heat damage? Check. DM has to bail them out with an NPC? Check. Major intra-party squabble over splitting the treasure? Check.

If I ever re-watch the Hobbit movies again, this will be in the back of my mind now.

Pyrian:
Man, I remember when The Escapist was nothing but articles, and it was awesome, totally essential reading every week. The past is in the past...

Back when there was still a magazine in Escapist Magazine. I still look over the article comparing Fallout and Red Dead's differing values on the natural world and civilization now and then for fun. That said, I fully understand people who appreciate the content but not the concept that they need to subsidize Marks themselves through a third-party website instead of the Escapist handling it directly. Garwulf agreed to a different deal, but clearly exposure alone can't keep a column going.

Also, if there's an editor out there, you might want to check over this column; Rosenberg's comment on Rogue One has misplaced italics, and Breywood's comment on the D&D movie isn't properly quoted at all.

Looking forward to the piece that I think is hinting at Battle Royale. Maybe somehow he'll loop in the sudden boom in Battle Royale style survival games (like Player Unknown's Battlegrounds), and why that genre has found such resonance lately.

That is a real shame to hear this isn't working out. I don't have the time to come read the site as much as I used to anymore and your articles are usually the first thing I look for.

Guess that means I'll have to start checking out this CG magazine and see if your articles over there are as much fun to ponder over as these ones.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here