Poll: So... NBA 2K18 Reviews....

Hey guys and dolls.

So recently the new sports game NBA 2K18 released to a mixed reception. It was praised by major reviewers but absolutely paned by users. Not because it was the same as previous games but for it's mircro-transactions, which many people think have gone to far.

Now while most proffesional reviewers have given this game glowing scores, with a side mention that MTs are a bit of a pain, Thesixaxis however gave it a 3/10 mainly for the MT system. Shortly later the score was taken off the review with a statement from the site saying to was in talks with 2K's PR department. It's worth noting that the actual reviewer wasn't in the conversation. But rather his editor was talking to 2k. A while later the score was reinstated. While ultimately nothing happened it is... interesting that the publisher was able to get the website to take down the score and even have it, albeit temporarily, removed from site like Metacritic. It does also raise the question of what would have happened if this didn't go public on Neogaf or if this is a regular occurance.

I'm also quite surprised that groups so concerned with ethics in game journalism haven't been reporting on this more.

Good on Thesixaxis for giving it a 3. Mt can destroy otherwise good games. I hope shadow of war gets points removed too and we might start a trend. It's only natural for a publisher to try and remove a review they dont like. Natural and wrong. I like that in this case Thesixaxis seems to have won out.

My boy owes it to me to get the thing! I got Madden 18 so, now it is his turn!

I'm betting I can have fun with the game without buying transactions in that I'll play local only.

Good to see the outrage. Only by this and making sure this thing tanks with gamers are these people going to get the message that charging us AAA prices and still wanting to bleed more money off of us is NOT a way to win customer loyalty.

Gorfias:

I'm betting I can have fun with the game without buying transactions in that I'll play local only.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the microtransactions are baked into the game, they greatly affect the local experience as well. The create-a-pro (or whatever it's called) seems to be severely gimped. IDK about you, but that's one of the modes that I generally spend a lot of time on in these games.

Avnger:

Gorfias:

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the microtransactions are baked into the game, they greatly affect the local experience as well. The create-a-pro (or whatever it's called) seems to be severely gimped. IDK about you, but that's one of the modes that I generally spend a lot of time on in these games.

I wonder if Live is any better? Does it have that mode? Reviewing because that is very aggravating. $60 is a LOT for a sports game that comes out annually, and yet they feel they need to fleece fans even more?

Gorfias:

Avnger:

Gorfias:

I wonder if Live is any better? Does it have that mode? Reviewing because that is very aggravating. $60 is a LOT for a sports game that comes out annually, and yet they feel they need to fleece fans even more?

Exactly. It's gotten a bit ridiculous. I love EA's NHL games, but I had to stop buying the yearly release a bit ago; I now pick up every other one or so. The microtransaction creep hasn't gotten too bad in those yet.

spartandude:

I'm also quite surprised that groups so concerned with ethics in game journalism haven't been reporting on this more.

The group concerned with ethics in game journalism that I'm familiar with had at least three threads about it on reddit. Maybe all those other groups need to get on that group's level?

OT: Good for the site that they decided to keep the score intact. EA's practices are horrible, and people should stop supporting them until they improve.

StatusNil:

spartandude:

The group concerned with ethics in game journalism that I'm familiar with had at least three threads about it on reddit. Maybe all those other groups need to get on that group's level?

OT: Good for the site that they decided to keep the score intact. EA's practices are horrible, and people should stop supporting them until they improve.

... NBA 2k. It's not made by EA...

Gotta stop buying into them. Not just in this game but every game. From this, to Call of Duty, to Overwatch. Stop buying them! (Microtransactions that is. Buying the games but not paying into MTs might send a stronger message, but Im not sure)

nomotog:

StatusNil:

spartandude:

... NBA 2k. It's not made by EA...

Well, I stand corrected then. I don't really care for those sports games, I thought they were pretty much all by EA. But now I see 2K is the publisher, and even the name makes more sense. Whatever, it's still scummy. Let's stop supporting all of them.

Apparently Strauss Zelnick is an investor in both Take-Two and Defy Media. Microtransactions on The Escapist when?

spartandude:

Well, it's a sports game. Maybe I'm simply projecting my own views onto a whole lot of people, but I get the feeling that particular genre isn't all that popular with said groups.

On topic, though, I've long come to the conclusion that microtransactions were a mistake, and if the practice would simply disappear overnight, we'd all be better off for it.

They're "micro" as long as the cost of a single purchase is only two digits, right?

You could seriously spend $250 on this game if you buy the "Legendary" edition, and then the $100 (oh, right $99.99, so it's "Micro" right?) VC pack.

Saelune:
Gotta stop buying into them. Not just in this game but every game. From this, to Call of Duty, to Overwatch. Stop buying them! (Microtransactions that is. Buying the games but not paying into MTs might send a stronger message, but Im not sure)

While this is true, it is clear that this is a war we have lost. People are buying this shit by the truckloads, and the increase in MT's from AAA's is getting worse and worse.

IMO, I think the only thing that can happen now is that publishers and Mt's get so bad that it effectively just crashes.

It's easy for us to sit on a gaming sit and talk about the devil of MT's, but when you look at how many people play video games and are completely unaware of the news, of how toxic MT's are, Pre-order distain, expansion pass bullshit, all this shit, it will blow your mind. I've said on here before about how the guys in my warehouse play video games and they just buy the Call of Duty and the Madden's when they come out. They buy the Mt's, they buy the extra maps or whatever comes out, and they have no knowledge of gaming sites, the way the industry works or any of that shit. And frankly I feel like they are probably the majority of gamers. Parents buying kids games with no knowledge or insight, "dude-bros" buy the latest sports game, or just people who want to play a game and don't care about the ins or outs of it.

NBA2k18 is the first game I think that might be pushing the MT breaking point. Where the general userbase is tearing the game apart because of how fucked the balancing in the game is, designed to force people to buy their bullshit currency which isn't even worth anything. It is full of bugs, and bullshit, and the game is utterly unbalanced to damn near unplayable without buying MT's.

It will be interesting to see if this game causes anything to change.

Are really that many whales on sport games? If there are, no outrage will remove predatory MT in AAA sport games (if anything, they'll keep getting even worse). It's funny that 2K excuse for pressuring Thesixaxis on changing their score was that they saw it as an act of protest against MT (instead of, you know, a fair review that found the game way too grindy to enjoy without paying for MTs).

CaitSeith:
Are really that many whales on sport games? If there are, no outrage will remove predatory MT in AAA sport games (if anything, they'll keep getting even worse). It's funny that 2K excuse for pressuring Thesixaxis on changing their score was that they saw it as an act of protest against MT (instead of, you know, a fair review that found the game way too grindy to enjoy without paying for MTs).

Sport games tend to be the games people who dont call themselves gamers play. I know of some groups of people who make events over playing sport games together, so it really might be multiple people paying into one account's MTs if they do local play tournaments and the like.

lolsportsgames.

they were being annualised and milking peoples cash way before COD ever happened

Yoshi178:
lolsportsgames.

they were being annualised and milking peoples cash way before COD ever happened

I mean these companies couldn't let Ninty enjoy that entire pie alone.

Avnger:

Yoshi178:
lolsportsgames.

Then "Genesis does what Ninendon't" was pretty much a big fat lie.

Avnger:

Yoshi178:
lolsportsgames.

"B-B-BUT Nintendo!"

just like i said to Casualshinji in the "Game developers who actually keep their promises?" thread. you people here are so damn predictable.

So it takes more than two seasons for your NBA Rookie to max out his stats now? God, that's like soooo unrealistic, and totally to do with maximising profits.

Speaking as the guy that intentionally used to find the theoretical worst team in any particular game to play as, I don't really see it being an issue. That said, still not convinced it's worth picking up a new NBA game over reinstalling 2K14. Where my character has spiky blue hair for free.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here