IGN acquires Humble Bundle

http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/166366386976/humble-bundle-is-joining-forces-with-ign

So a company that reviews games on, including those in the Humble store, will now be making money out of game sales, a clear incentive for more positive reviews.

IGN do say:

To get more specific, we're going to use a two-pronged approach to ensuring editorial integrity when it comes to Humble Bundle. First, we will keep a rigid separation between IGN's editorial team and the Humble Bundle team. Second, we will provide full disclosure whenever IGN creates content about a game, bundle, or subscription created by or funded by Humble Bundle. This is the same effective approach we already use when IGN creates content about the products sold by our advertisers and commerce partners.

(source: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/ign-on-humble-bundle-purchase-editorial-integrity-is-something-we-take-very-seriously)

Just because editorial is seperate, doesn't mean management can't influence. So can folks trust IGN (if you ever did for that matter) when it comes to Humble content?

On a seperate not Humble has raised over $100 million for charity. That's admirable.

Johnlives:
http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/166366386976/humble-bundle-is-joining-forces-with-ign

So a company that reviews games on, including those in the Humble store, will now be making money out of game sales, a clear incentive for more positive reviews.

IGN do say:

To get more specific, we're going to use a two-pronged approach to ensuring editorial integrity when it comes to Humble Bundle. First, we will keep a rigid separation between IGN's editorial team and the Humble Bundle team. Second, we will provide full disclosure whenever IGN creates content about a game, bundle, or subscription created by or funded by Humble Bundle. This is the same effective approach we already use when IGN creates content about the products sold by our advertisers and commerce partners.

(source: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/ign-on-humble-bundle-purchase-editorial-integrity-is-something-we-take-very-seriously)

Just because editorial is seperate, doesn't mean management can't influence. So can folks trust IGN (if you ever did for that matter) when it comes to Humble content?

On a seperate not Humble has raised over $100 million for charity. That's admirable.

Who cares? Humble Bundle stopped being relevant years ago. It was nice when it started, then AAA got interested and it went to shit.

Fischgopf:

Johnlives:

IGN do say:

Who cares? Humble Bundle stopped being relevant years ago. It was nice when it started, then AAA got interested and it went to shit.

Plus IGN. This isn't 2004. No one cares.

Well, this is pretty bad. I used to buy stuff from Humblebundle from time-to-time.

I predict that this will be largely ignored by those concerned with those passionate about "integrity in games journalism" since it does not give them an obvious female target to harass into self-imposed exile.

jademunky:
Well, this is pretty bad. I used to buy stuff from Humblebundle from time-to-time.

I predict that this will be largely ignored by those concerned with those passionate about "integrity in games journalism" since it does not give them an obvious female target to harass into self-imposed exile.

Your prediction is a bit off, they're how I got the news. Plus, well, if you review my posting history, you'd see what I've been passionate about.

Johnlives:

jademunky:

Your prediction is a bit off, they're how I got the news. Plus, well, if you review my posting history, you'd see what I've been passionate about.

But the large-scale outcry is absent.

A company that publishes and sells video games, LOTS of video games, just got bought by a company that reviews them. This should be getting more attention than it is considering the scale of conflict-of-interest we could potentially be dealing with. This would be the perfect moment for the "ethics in gaming journalism" crowd to prove they really were only interested in professional integrity.

I should hear about it on facebook, twitter should be sealioned the fuck out with new accounts just wanting to have an honest "conversation" about conflicts of interest in game journalism. It should be so in-your-face that it would demand mass-bannings and bitter recriminations, grudges that would last years. I should have heard about it on the actual news.

jademunky:

Johnlives:

jademunky:

A company that publishes and sells video games, LOTS of video games, just got bought by a company that reviews them. This should be getting more attention than it is considering the scale of conflict-of-interest we could potentially be dealing with. This would be the perfect moment for the "ethics in gaming journalism" crowd to prove they really were only interested in professional integrity.

I should hear about it on facebook, twitter should be sealioned the fuck out with new accounts just wanting to have an honest "conversation" about conflicts of interest in game journalism. It should be so in-your-face that it would demand mass-bannings and bitter recriminations, grudges that would last years. I should have heard about it on the actual news.

There is some pushback against it but it's not blatant.
For SOME REASON the air has gone out of it.
I believe you too would find it hard to rouse your ire when you feel like the bigwigs just roll over you.
Fellow allies are harder to organize when you know you can expect massive backlash and constant threats.
One can also intuit that conflation and bad faith will hound you.

There needs to be more than this now to make the pot boil over, sadly.
This is just an extension of business as usual today.

The stalemate continues and efforts are directed elsewhere.

jademunky:

Johnlives:

jademunky:

The info spread across the network quite quickly with talk on all the platforms. I'm not responsible for who you follow on facebook or twitter. And information can tend to bottle next, for example the first two replies to this thread were "who cares". Plus it was covered by the traditional press meaning that consumer action is not as urgent.

We are only currently at potential conflict, so spreading awareness is a good step for now. The situation is no doubt being monitored for when or if the potential rolls over into actual.

It is the end of the world. *sobs* It was nice knowing you all.

I don't know what is worse: that IGN has an (another) incentive to inflate game grades, or that they impact what Humble Bundle provides.

There's always baseball.

Well, not something I like. Consolidation like this does start to raise concerns after all. The fact they at least acknowledge the possible conflict there and seek to want to address it is at least better than what I am used to when it comes to games media.

Humble being a charity thing and feeling more like a reseller also makes the possible shenanigans less impactful than say a major studio paying the staff off for good reviews in game swag they can later resell online.

In the end, I guess this is one of those thing where it is worrying ethically, but not damning, at least not yet. Something to keep an eye on.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here