I was wrong about Jim Sterling, and I'm sorry for it

Pages PREV 1 2

KissingSunlight:

erttheking:

KissingSunlight:
Jim occasionally goes SJW like he did recently with Shelob turning into a sexy human woman in the Mordor game. Fortunately, missteps like that video are the exception. I enjoy checking out the Jimquistion videos when I can.

Might've been because that was one of the stupidest things I've seen done with female characters recently. Seriously, we can't have a big giant spider without slapping tits on it if he happens to be female?

OT: Yeah, he's one of the few people online I follow regularly. Some people get tired of him ranting about lootboxes. Personally I say this is something we should never get used to. Same with just about everything he covers.

We are going have to agree to disagree. It's a fantasy world full of dragons, wizards, and other sort of mystical creatures. So, why does a shape-shifting spider is too much of a stretch for this setting?

I have had multiple debates with people complaining about women being sexualized. At the end of the day, the people complaining are just being prudes. There are a lot of reasons why Lord of the Rings is a bad story series. A shape-shifting spider is not one of those reasons.

Because it's incredibly stupid as a design choice and pandering to the male demographic.

and I'm one OF the male demographic they're pandering to who finds femme fatales sexy as f***, but I see a marketing decision like this from miles away and go "Tsch, yeah... sometimes I see what the lady gamers are going on about, I really do."

KissingSunlight:

erttheking:

KissingSunlight:
Jim occasionally goes SJW like he did recently with Shelob turning into a sexy human woman in the Mordor game. Fortunately, missteps like that video are the exception. I enjoy checking out the Jimquistion videos when I can.

Might've been because that was one of the stupidest things I've seen done with female characters recently. Seriously, we can't have a big giant spider without slapping tits on it if he happens to be female?

OT: Yeah, he's one of the few people online I follow regularly. Some people get tired of him ranting about lootboxes. Personally I say this is something we should never get used to. Same with just about everything he covers.

We are going have to agree to disagree. It's a fantasy world full of dragons, wizards, and other sort of mystical creatures. So, why does a shape-shifting spider is too much of a stretch for this setting?

I have had multiple debates with people complaining about women being sexualized. At the end of the day, the people complaining are just being prudes. There are a lot of reasons why Lord of the Rings is a bad story series. A shape-shifting spider is not one of those reasons.

I feel the same about this argument as I do about adding colored people in medieval games or making Link a girl.

It being a fantasy world technically allows those things but that's not a good reason, its merely an excuse for why the writers can get away with doing those things rather then actually explaining why they SHOULD do it. Just because the writers found a way to get away with it doesn't make it a good idea.

erttheking:

...It takes a strong man to deny what's right in front of him. Under the PR section. Silverstring media. One of their "crimes". Contributed to crypt of the necrodancer. Yeah, that's some unethical behavior. Supporting a good game, I'm so glad GG is protecting me from that. Robin Arnott, under people, near the top, one of his crimes is being a judge when Quinn won an award. Read and don't just assume. It'll take you far in life.

Funny, GG seems to be the one getting their knickers in a bunch over it. I think it's a decent game. GG seems to thinking liking it is proof of corruption. That's what I care about, that asinine logic. The comments in the thread I posted show plenty of that.

Don't reply to me if you're going to deny what's right under your nose again, I've got better things to do than deal with that.

Its not a list of crimes, its a lists of their products! Though now i at least understand why you got confused.

By Robin Arnott you mean the guy that was a judge on a panel of games while fucking one of the developers? Thats a conflict of interest so blatant he should have been barred from judging the panel even if he didnt had enough sense not to be a complete corrupt asshole and didnt leave himself. It doesnt matter if quinn won an award or not, simply being a judge on the panel alone proves hes unethical scumbag.

Well first things first, Gone home is an interactive novel, not a game. A game requires a win and loose condiction and a challenge to overcome. Gone home does not have two of the three. That does not make it bad though, it only makes it a different type of media. It is however bad because its a badly written borring experience that wants to confuse the player more than it wants to tell the story. but that is of course just my opinion and yours may differ. to each his own. Ive yet to see somone in GG claim that liking a certain game is proof of corruption. Reviewing a game you participated in or had personal relationships with developers however IS corruption.

Also can we take note how fucking of that list is? It looks like it hasnt been updated since 2014. It talks about 4chan blacklisting even.

aegix drakan:
Yeah, I consistently enjoy his content, although his reviews were often head-scratchers. Oh hey, here's a glowing review of Persona 5 where the only negative point really talked about was "I wish it was portable" and the score is...8? What? Where did that come from? There were no real negative points brought up, so what brought it down from a 9? *head scratch*

While you could probably find one of his reviews that proves your point, he didn't write a review of Persona 5. If I remember correctly, it's not his type of game and would take too much time so he contracted another reviewer to do that one.

KaraFang:

KissingSunlight:

erttheking:

Because it's incredibly stupid as a design choice and pandering to the male demographic.

and I'm one OF the male demographic they're pandering to who finds femme fatales sexy as f***, but I see a marketing decision like this from miles away and go "Tsch, yeah... sometimes I see what the lady gamers are going on about, I really do."

The really annoying thing is they could have kept the sexy female model and still made it work. Like the main character is supposed to be able to see past illusion, make it so every-time Shelob gets close have him see the spider in all its creepy detail. They still they the stupid retarded sexy model but at least in a proper creepy way.

jademunky:
Jim is pretty-much the only internet personality where I would genuinely be upset if he stopped making content.

Aside from being informative and passionately caring about the industry and it's future, his videos and podcasts are just fun. We should all take time to thank god for him.

Him, Red Letter Media, Shut Up and Sit Down, and Mike Matei.

I'm worried for Glove and Boots. They recently had to stop making videos due to the Youtube monetization problems. They're so much like Greg the Bunny.

Its been hard to live without Mario's word of the week. Or the Paradoke. They are impressive with their live stream gaming done with muppets.

I usually binge watch Sterling. I don't have a compunction to watch him weekly.

I watched a bunch this week. I seem to remember him being critical of consumers too for a reason I forget. He did preface this by saying it wasn't normal for him to criticse consumers and that he might be in turn criticsed

I have heard that he has become self-critical lately, particularly of his Destrucoid days. You don't see much on the Internet.

So is there some more info on Jim's departure from destructiod and the escapist? Both sides made it seem like it was a happy divorce but there have always been rumors. In this week's Jimquisition and earlier on twitter he summed the situation up as ''They pushed and I jumped''.

Hades:
So is there some more info on Jim's departure from destructiod and the escapist? Both sides made it seem like it was a happy divorce but there have always been rumors. In this week's Jimquisition and earlier on twitter he summed the situation up as ''They pushed and I jumped''.

From what I remember, the Escapist tried to push more editorial control over his work. He decided to move on rather than agree to it. I don't know at all what went on (if anything) with Destructoid.

trunkage:
I usually binge watch Sterling. I don't have a compunction to watch him weekly.

I watched a bunch this week. I seem to remember him being critical of consumers too for a reason I forget. He did preface this by saying it wasn't normal for him to criticse consumers and that he might be in turn criticsed

I have heard that he has become self-critical lately, particularly of his Destrucoid days. You don't see much on the Internet.

The most I've seen him be critical of consumers is for people who act as rabid fanatics about a particular company/game/whatever (several times he's had his add-free site hit with a DDOS attack due to review scores), those who actively argue on the publishers' sides for topics like microtransactions and loot boxes, and (in a recent series) those who take ideas like PC master race and being "hardcore gamers" waaaaay too seriously.

edit: If you even take the time to look at this Trunkage, I didn't realize you posted this almost a month ago xD

Yeah I avoided like, 99% of all gaming channels on YouTube during the GG thing and a long ass time after it died down. Ol' Sterly fell under that umbrella. So much so that I only started watching again when the Digital Homicide court case fell through. At least it gave me a big backlog to chew through.

Oh yeah, Sexy Shelob is fucking stupid. I like polygonal tiddies as much as the next guy but don't shit on muh lore.

Unless you put big polygon tits on the giant spider. That'd be funny.

I loved Jim when he first appeared on the Escapist and I followed him willingly to Youtube and even chip into his Patron. Monday's Jimquisition is a sit down event for me, not just something to watch when I'm grinding dailies in WoW. Sure I don't agree with everything he says, but I'll be damned if he isn't always entertaining.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Clearly you've not read Tolkien. For starters, Shelob's mum was Ungoliant. About the most badass thing in existence that poisoned and drained the Two Trees, even gave Morgoth (Sauron's boss) a run for his money and it took multiple balrogs to chase her off from killing Morgoth to gain the Silmarils.

Quoted so hard for truth. Not really related, but I remember delving into a similar argument over people constantly asking for a Wizard or Mage class in LOTRO. You have one of the greatest fantasy worlds of all time with pages and pages of hard lore. If you respect it, don't fuck with it.

undeadsuitor:

KissingSunlight:

Honestly people retching and whining about videos where he points out that developers are creatively bankrupt when it comes to female characters is probably the biggest reason I love and watch him.

Exactly. He's always been more than happy to call out bullshit where it exists. He did it in MGSV, he did it in Shadow of War. Spurring the anger of people who can't understand the difference between a sexualised character and a sexy one.

Azure-Supernova:
Exactly. He's always been more than happy to call out bullshit where it exists. He did it in MGSV, he did it in Shadow of War. Spurring the anger of people who can't understand the difference between a sexualised character and a sexy one.

IIRC, he's brought up examples such as Bayonetta as a character that is sexy, but isn't sexualized into an object. There's a very distinct difference between the two.

To bring up an anime example, Black Lagoon has the character Remy who is a sexy character, but she isn't treated as an object; it fits in perfectly with the rest of her personality and actions where she isn't robbed of any agency due to it.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here