GamerGate goes after reviewer for review they didn't even write

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wellp, old Escapist exile Jim (fucking) Sterling (son) riled up the Redpill crowd something fierce with his review of Super Mario Oddessey on Metacritic. 7/10, apparently.

"Cuckquisition does it again"

"Just ignore that SJW crossdresser"

"Has no standards..."

"Mad because he couldn't get a NES Classic."

"He's mad because there are no gays in Oddessey"

"Tubby Hitler's clearly unfit to review games"

Harsh stuff. Just one problem; he never reviewed the game, and has never played it. I can understand the feeling. My statements on gaming have provoked GG to proclaim me having never played a PC game, having never played a Souls game (I did. Demons' Souls), and only having the opinions I have about games because I can't handle games from a more challenging era.

So why are our RedPilled moral guardians of all things gaming so upset over opinions that don't exist?

"Just ignore that SJW crossdresser"

mario can wear a wedding dress in the game. clearly sjws have taken over nintendo

Went to KIA and found nothing on this. Do you have an archive link or screen shot of said thread?

Welp! At least people seem to have realized it was a fake screenshot before making a DDoS on his website (again). That would had sucked!

Okay, first and foremost, I demand satisfaction for being made to unknowingly click on a Jim Sterling video. Consider yourself glove-slapped, good sir, and please choose either swords or pistols.

On a slightly more serious (as in, still not serious at all) note... why is this the first I hear of any of this?

Worst hate group ever, I'm telling you.

Are we sure this is GG and just not angry Nintendo fans?

Or are they one and the same nowadays and I missed the memo?

Ogoid:
Okay, first and foremost, I demand satisfaction for being made to unknowingly click on a Jim Sterling video.

you get satisfaction from watching his wonderful videos

now if you're looking for retribution I cant give you anything

Sassafrass:

Anyone that's not Antifa is a Trump-supporting, Bible-thumping #GamerGate supporter. That's old news.

Sassafrass:

Could be a mix. If it's just Nintendo fans there's a lot of GG rhetoric being used.

Ogoid:
Okay, first and foremost, I demand satisfaction for being made to unknowingly click on a Jim Sterling video. Consider yourself glove-slapped, good sir, and please choose either swords or pistols.

On a slightly more serious (as in, still not serious at all) note... why is this the first I hear of any of this?

Worst hate group ever, I'm telling you.

Storm in a bottle for the most part. Also, the only people who won't shut the fuck up about gamergate are the people who don't like them, for a long time now. Chances are you won't know anything about what they're up to unless its from someone looking for a reason to talk about how dumb they are and why they don't matter.

ex951753:
Went to KIA and found nothing on this. Do you have an archive link or screen shot of said thread?

Sassafrass:

I'm going off the vocabulary and nature of the complaints. Has GG written all over it.

American Tanker:
Anyone that's not Antifa is a Trump-supporting, Bible-thumping #GamerGate supporter. That's old news.

Yea, I know. It was on the same memo that said anyone not redpill is a Communist misandrist who has a sexual fetish for watching other people fuck their SO.

People should check their mail, amirite?

Ogoid:

Swords at midnight. Just need to find a beach that looks absolutely beautiful by moonlight.

Smithnikov:

ex951753:

Sassafrass:

I'm going off the vocabulary and nature of the complaints. Has GG written all over it.

So you have no evidence at all and just go ahead and declare a thing to be the work of gamergate because of feelings?

There is a tiny, miniscule topic at KiA where they mostly agree it's a storm in a tecup.
Nothing on 8Chan GG HQ or anywhere else I could find.

Vendor-Lazarus:

So you have no evidence at all and just go ahead and declare a thing to be the work of gamergate because of feelings?

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Oh gamergate controversy, always trying to have central stage even when its not about you.

This really doesn't seem to be a Gamergate issue, more like Nintendo fans being easily pissed off and gullible.

Hades:
Oh gamergate controversy, always trying to have central stage even when its not about you.

This really doesn't seem to be a Gamergate issue, more like Nintendo fans being easily pissed off and gullible.

Again, note the rhetoric used. Fits their MO.

Smithnikov:

Hades:

Again, note the rhetoric used. Fits their MO.

You should go to gamefaqs. They love to make jokes about Jim's weight

Sounds like your average Nintendo fans, fits them perfectly.

Gamergate isn't really a thing anymore, is it? Many of these insults are sadly commonplace now. In any case, 'could be' and 'looks like' is not really evidence of anything. Odds are this was just a bunch of regular nintendo fans with no doubt some gamergaters and rightleaning people mixed in.

Why the fuck does Gamergate still exist.

why are there 2 identical threads about this exact topic in both gaming industry discussion and the gaming discussion sections?

renegade7:

They fancy themselves now more like the Batman of the gaming world than the Spanish INquisition.

Sounds about right, going by Nintendo fans' reaction to Jim's BotW review.

Smithnikov:

renegade7:

They fancy themselves now more like the Batman of the gaming world than the Spanish INquisition.

What are you talking about? There is no indication that this is Gamergate fighters/soldiers/whatever you want to call them. This is simply you seeing some drama and trying to drum up more by posting about it here. All you have done is bring attention to some retards being retarded. I'm willing to bet this topic would not have appeared via someone else had you not brought this up. The bogeymen (and bogeywomen) of Gamergate are nothing more than a few forums elsewhere and folks like you in the wider Internet keeping them from even being forgotten full stop.

Smithnikov:

ex951753:

Sassafrass:

Careful, that chip on your shoulder is showing.

Seriously, are you going to do this every time someone does something you dislike relating to games? Or anything else for that matter?

You can't blame gamergate like the damn boogieman just because you want to try to attack their character by making outright false claims about them as a collective whole. Your constant attempts to demonize and misrepresent them just shows how blinded by your own hatred you have become and that willful blindness tells everyone else how terrible a judge of character your gut feelings are in the first place. That you think it is justified to outright lie about a group of people is just exhausting. And yes, it is a lie now because people have already explained that no, none of the major GG hubs are pushing this and you even have members of the local GG chapter telling you they didn't know about it too. There is no evidence supporting your claim, yet you insist on your gut instinct, likely solely because it satisfies your biases.

"So why are our RedPilled moral guardians of all things gaming so upset over opinions that don't exist?"
Much like those opinions, it seems your evidence of it being gamergate also doesn't exist. There is something ironic in a man trying to make a fuss about an evil gamergater conspiracy that doesn't actually exist that is going after a review that doesn't exist.

On the topic of the video, as others have said, this sounds like regular nintendo fanboy occurance. Not even heard about this nontroversy myself til now, but it doesn't surprise me much. Storm in a teacup is a perfect description. I suppose that makes you a terrible storm chaser though.

Gamergate isn't really a thing anymore, is it? Many of these insults are sadly commonplace now. In any case, 'could be' and 'looks like' is not really evidence of anything. Odds are this was just a bunch of regular nintendo fans with no doubt some gamergaters and rightleaning people mixed in.

This sums my thoughts up nicely.

runic knight:

You can't blame gamergate like the damn boogieman just because you want to try to attack their character by making outright false claims about them as a collective whole.

I want you to remember this statement the next time colored hair SJW's or Antifa is the subject of a conversation.

That's all I'm saying to you about this, Pot.

Smithnikov:

runic knight:

You can't blame gamergate like the damn boogieman just because you want to try to attack their character by making outright false claims about them as a collective whole.

I want you to remember this statement the next time colored hair SJW's or Antifa is the subject of a conversation.

How does that relate?

gamergate is a loosely associated group of people joined only in their opposition to the gaming media's bullshit. They share no ideology, nor any motivation among the group. There is no uniformity of thought or ideal there, just a loose agreement to work together and oppose gaming media's bullshit. As such, the only way to even remotely fairly make claims about it would be based on population of the group, with majority support for an action being the closest indicator of "gamergate does a thing" claims.

Antifa is an ideologically motivated and organized group opposed to "fascism" that ultimately means being opposed to the enemies of the modern radical left that are labeled fascists. As such, unlike gamergate's lack of shared motivation in their opposition of gaming media, antifa does have a shared political stance that guides their opposition and is thus more uniform in comparison. Because of this, any claims of "antifa does a thing" are stronger because of their shared ideology, motivations and their organization means that it is more likely representative of the shared motivation, ideology and organization. Not enough to damn them for the actions of a single individual alone, of course, but enough to see actions, such as violently beating people in the streets, being cheered by others in antifa as being representative of the whole of the group there.

Finally SJW is a term relating to people who commit certain degrees of actions and behaviors done in the name of their political ideology. As such, this one is not even a group in the same way as the prior two are, but rather a description of people based on their behavior and actions in the same way that calling someone who kills people intentionally a murderer is. Notice that calling someone a murderer does not associate them to a group. As such, any generalizations about "SJW" are not even relating to a group of associated people but rather a group of people defined by their actions and behaviors itself.

Or, to put it another way while saying "antifa did a thing" or "gamergate did a thing" implies group responsibility of people associated by other reasons, saying "sjw did a thing" or "murderer did a thing" applies to a person or group of people defined by their behavior and actions without group responsibility.

So your point raised here, and whatever the implications from it you were insinuating, is nonsensical.

You were the one projecting your own bias about the fanboys and you got called out for the complete lack of any evidence or justification for it outside your own deep need for there to be the connection. Your response was to imply hypocrisy on my part by trying to compare apples to oranges, with antifa, and apples to squids with the SJW thing.

runic knight:

Smithnikov:

runic knight:

How does that relate?

gamergate is a loosely associated group of people joined only in their opposition to the gaming media's bullshit. They share no ideology, nor any motivation among the group. There is no uniformity of thought or ideal there, just a loose agreement to work together and oppose gaming media's bullshit. As such, the only way to even remotely fairly make claims about it would be based on population of the group, with majority support for an action being the closest indicator of "gamergate does a thing" claims.

Antifa is an ideologically motivated and organized group opposed to "fascism" that ultimately means being opposed to the enemies of the modern radical left that are labeled fascists. As such, unlike gamergate's lack of shared motivation in their opposition of gaming media, antifa does have a shared political stance that guides their opposition and is thus more uniform in comparison. Because of this, any claims of "antifa does a thing" are stronger because of their shared ideology, motivations and their organization means that it is more likely representative of the shared motivation, ideology and organization. Not enough to damn them for the actions of a single individual alone, of course, but enough to see actions, such as violently beating people in the streets, being cheered by others in antifa as being representative of the whole of the group there.

Finally SJW is a term relating to people who commit certain degrees of actions and behaviors done in the name of their political ideology. As such, this one is not even a group in the same way as the prior two are, but rather a description of people based on their behavior and actions in the same way that calling someone who kills people intentionally a murderer is. Notice that calling someone a murderer does not associate them to a group. As such, any generalizations about "SJW" are not even relating to a group of associated people but rather a group of people defined by their actions and behaviors itself.

Or, to put it another way while saying "antifa did a thing" or "gamergate did a thing" implies group responsibility of people associated by other reasons, saying "sjw did a thing" or "murderer did a thing" applies to a person or group of people defined by their behavior and actions without group responsibility.

So your point raised here, and whatever the implications from it you were insinuating, is nonsensical.

You were the one projecting your own bias about the fanboys and you got called out for the complete lack of any evidence or justification for it outside your own deep need for there to be the connection. Your response was to imply hypocrisy on my part by trying to compare apples to oranges, with antifa, and apples to squids with the SJW thing.

Blah blah blah, it's okay to generalize and demonize left wing affiliated groups, but not right. I've seen freshly washed glass less transparent than this, spare me.

Smithnikov:

runic knight:

Smithnikov:

How does that relate?

Blah blah blah, it's okay to generalize and demonize left wing affiliated groups, but not right. I've seen freshly washed glass less transparent than this, spare me.

You can dislike that I called you out for comparing apples to oranges and squids all you like, but it doesn't change the fact you are making a false comparison for the sake of an appeal to hypocrisy.

Also, I never made mention to specific political leans, you should stop projecting.

I explained why they were not the same based on what they were.

Gamergate is a loosely associated group with a shared goal but nothing else. They are akin to an other boycott in response to poor customer service. Generalizations about a group like that is hard to do and relies on percentage of the group overall.

Antifa is an ideologically motivated, structured and organized group that shares motivation, politics, and leadership. They are akin to an actual political group. Generalizations about it are easier because of how uniform they are in belief and motivation, but still require demonstrated acceptance and lack of rejection by the rest. With examples like those cheering the violent actions of their members, this is often easy to see.

SJW is not a group but a label. It is applied based on actions and behaviors, thus any generalization about those that fall under the label would merely need to be consistent with that label.

Your biases motivate you and blind you, but if you are just going to keep making things up to support your personal political causes, regardless how many times people call out your blatant and malicious dishonesty, than you ultimately do more to help those you consider your political opponents than many of their own do. I am sure they thank you for your continued service. Myself, I wish you'd try to show a modicum of intellectual honesty.

runic knight:

Do not talk to me ever again.

I like Jim, not all of his works mind you (few are petty, few asine) but he does outstanding work fighting for consumer rights.
He calls out here strictly nintendo fans though, not someone else. And just these, which fell for a troll piece. He says so himself in the video ~5:15. He basically pokes fun at that while laughing and admittedly milking it.

Was a fun vid to watch though (I didn't see it before even though I'm subscribed to his channel). Jim got my like, You get my thanks Smithnikov.

Smithnikov:

runic knight:

Do not talk to me ever again.

I am sorry I offended you by pointing out that your comparison was terrible and thus your constant attempts to pretend hypocrisy by pleading equivalence were fundamentally flawed. Unfortunately for your request though, this is a public forum, and so long as someone is making public threads I want to comment on, I will do so. If you want me to not talk to you, not making threads where anyone is allowed to reply would probably be a good first step. Not replying to me to try to call me a hypocrite would as well.

Jamcie Kerbizz:
but he does outstanding work fighting for consumer rights.

No he doesn't, he calls out shitty games and pushed back when one of their devs pushed against him, and that's the beginning and end of his consumer advocacy. He's never held a controversial opinion even within the industry when it comes to consumer rights, everyone who isn't working for Konami agrees with his stance of "fuck them", and he he spent years calling for gamers to hold those in the industry to account only to say "yeah I never meant that" when it finally happened and it turned out to be people he was friends with who where being hung out to dry (guess he thought they'd be ignored or something).

When he left it frankly astonished me the site lost traffic over it or that he managed to retain an audience. Certainly aren't watching for 90% of what he advertised himself as being about.

Zontar:

Jamcie Kerbizz:
but he does outstanding work fighting for consumer rights.

No he doesn't, he calls out shitty games and pushed back when one of their devs pushed against him, and that's the beginning and end of his consumer advocacy. He's never held a controversial opinion even within the industry when it comes to consumer rights, everyone who isn't working for Konami agrees with his stance of "fuck them", and he he spent years calling for gamers to hold those in the industry to account only to say "yeah I never meant that" when it finally happened and it turned out to be people he was friends with who where being hung out to dry (guess he thought they'd be ignored or something).

When he left it frankly astonished me the site lost traffic over it or that he managed to retain an audience. Certainly aren't watching for 90% of what he advertised himself as being about.

Well I watch his content. What you described is largely what he does but he also was speaking up against various monetization and sales practices from the very start they turned up, while channels like i.e. extra credits advocated and excused them.
I am not familiar with the latter thing you described but please do mind I don't intend to build him a shrine nor a gallow. I gloss over his asinine content and appreciate pieces, that are intelligent and not distorted by irrational political/social drives.

If you just mean, that quoted stipulation is over the top then just please get over it. I am being 'attacked' for my use of English on these boards constantly because the way I formulate things come of as 'pompous, full of pathos' I guess? While it's just the way I communicate my thoughts in this foreign language and this doesn't mean they carry some enormous amounts of emotions and impact to be riled up about.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here