How corporations percieve gamers

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I am not going to re-iterate the other thread, that discusses illicit practices present in the game industry.
However, the gist of it, is that corporations see gamers as vulnerable , easily manipulated morons.
Which makes them a fine target audience for abuse.

However this assessment results in less than generous for gamers role in corporate wars. Not just a small game but a convenient scapegoat to boot. Literal faeces you smear on competition and that's sad.

Latest scene: Microsoft, trying to protect its purchase, that turns into failing business - Skype.
Tool: Another asset of that corporation NBC News.
Target: Discord.
Ammo: Evil gamers. At this point its not even 'games that turn people into monsters' scare. It's as simple as gamer = monster.

F-k you if you complain about the quality of recently developed games or criminal publishing practices. You are worse, than people you complain about.

You are a gamer = you are evil for it.
Better start signaling on social media, that although you play video games, you are not one of 'them gamers'. Better make sure that you go back to skype, not use discord like kkk. Better make sure you condemn Trump voters, even though you have no right to vote in USA. Better declare you have no problem with minorities, even though you live in poor, ethnically homogeneous country, from which people run away creating minorities in wealthier ones, like... USA. Better start preaching you don't hate on women in gaming, even though you spent majority of your life trying to get women around you to get into a hobby you love.

Cause all that is needed is to point at gamers and say, majority of you have sinned. Then leave the rest in hands of zealots who will go that extra mile to prove their purity among the ocean of filthy deplorables.

Thread moved to Game Industry Discussion. -Mod

Please. I remember the days when evangelicals were saying I worshipped the Devil because I rolled some dice and stabbed an orc to death.

Which is only half true! I merely appreciate his style.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Please. I remember the days when evangelicals were saying I worshipped the Devil because I rolled some dice and stabbed an orc to death.

Well they still do but aren't the owners of corporation, that holds huge share of the market in various ascpects that are crucial to the hobby.

This here, is being slapped with one hand across your face while taking with the other money you brought for the console/software. All the while hollering for the angry mob to gather up and burn you on the stake, cause you dared to take your money to a competitor too.

It goes way beyond: We don't understand what he does! He must be up to something lord disaproves!

Jamcie Kerbizz:
Better start signaling on social media, that although you play video games, you are not one of 'them gamers'. Better make sure that you go back to skype, not use discord like kkk. Better make sure you condemn Trump voters, even though you have no right to vote in USA. Better declare you have no problem with minorities, even though you live in poor, ethnically homogeneous country, from which people run away creating minorities in wealthier ones, like... USA. Better start preaching you don't hate on women in gaming, even though you spent majority of your life trying to get women around you to get into a hobby you love.

Cause all that is needed is to point at gamers and say, majority of you have sinned. Then leave the rest in hands of zealots who will go that extra mile to prove their purity among the ocean of filthy deplorables.

Yeah fuck all those people who dare have opinions on things even if they're not directly affected. Don't you know that us gamers are the most discriminated against people ever!?!? I mean someone said something negative about a topic tangentially related to gaming! It's time to drop everything and wail into our reddit and chan echo chambers! Everyone aboard the "I'm totes a victim too" train!

Avnger:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

Yeah fuck all those people who dare have opinions on things even if they're not directly affected. Don't you know that us gamers are the most discriminated against people ever!?!? I mean someone said something negative about a topic tangentially related to gaming! It's time to drop everything and wail into our reddit and chan echo chambers! Everyone aboard the "I'm totes a victim too" train!

Yeah, if they try to smear their hateful, corporate BS instilled 'opinions' on individuals just because of an individuals hobby choice, then f-em. Pretty much it.

Well this is a fascinating insight.

For what it's worth:
a) I never refer to myself as a gamer. It's a stupid fucking name for a thing.
b) I don't even know what Discord is.
c) That Trump is a terrible human isn't the real problem, it's that enough people voted for him to be in charge. That's the case whether I can vote or not.
d) My country wasn't poor or ethnically homogeneous, but 51.9% of UK voters are trying and succeeding to make it that way.
e) The thing about women doesn't even make sense.

That video isn't satire? Well, shit. How do you even start pointing your finger at what's essentially a private communication platform (and right now the best around)? Once again I'm left reminding myself that people in general are reasonable enough not to spoil everything.

Jamcie Kerbizz:

Avnger:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

Yeah, if they try to smear their hateful, corporate BS instilled 'opinions' on individuals just because of an individuals hobby choice, then f-em. Pretty much it.

Oh honey...

The idea that Trump voters elected the most incompetent, corrupt, and morally bankrupt person into the presidency in recent if not all of the history of the US isn't a 'corporate BS instilled opinion.' The idea that minorities should be treated equally isn't a 'corporate BS instilled opinion.' The idea that women are treated worse in the gaming community than men isn't a 'corporate BS instilled opinions.'

Pretending you're the victim of some corporate conspiracy must give you some comfort, but it's not the real world. No one is smearing people who play videogames. 'Gamers,' who consistently exhibit the very behaviors they are stereotyped with, are the ones being smeared, rightfully so; if you identify yourself in that group, that's a problem of yours, not anyone elses.

It's just a, excuse my language, retarded correlation to make. Here's the relation between gamers and fascism:

Video game enthusiasts are, predominantly if by no means exclusively, male, white and from a somewhat wealthy or at the very least comfortably middle class background. The far right happens to pander to and, to be fair, be attractive for that same demographic which is why there's an overlap that I would never deny but there's absolutely no inherent relation between the act of playing video games as a hobby and your political views. If anything gamers had a traditionally fairly progressive tendency, again, by no means exclusively, but the moral panic propagated by mostly conservative media pushed a lot of them away from the right.

Damn. I'd be offended if I thought being a "gamer" was a thing to be remotely proud of.

i thought gamers were dead

My very first post on The Escapist stated, "If gamers were a minority group, you would be accused of blaming the victims." I made that post over 4 years ago. It's disappointing that nothing has changed. In fact, this was a report from a major news network. That means, it has gotten worse.

I love the irony of this "journalist" blithely dismissing Gamergate as a protest against lack of ethics in journalism. While, she does this sloppy hit piece that lamely accuse gamers of being a bunch of violent racists who hates women. I also like the irony of it being called a "Think" piece, when it clearly lacked any rational thought. As someone else pointed out, this is the same shit that Conservatives and Christians have done in the past. Which goes to show, if you go too far to a political extreme, you will end up on the other side of the political spectrum. People wonder why I am critical of the extreme Left.

I think what this report fails to acknowledge is that the gaming community is fighting the same battle as the western world at large. The fight against racism, sexism, the alt-right etc. Of course this elements exist in the gaming community as they do in the greater United States and the rest of the western world.

KissingSunlight:
My very first post on The Escapist stated, "If gamers were a minority group, you would be accused of blaming the victims." I made that post over 4 years ago. It's disappointing that nothing has changed. In fact, this was a report from a major news network. That means, it has gotten worse.

Yes and if bugs were people, anyone who has ever used a can of RAID would be a mass murderer.

KissingSunlight:

I love the irony of this "journalist" blithely dismissing Gamergate as a protest against lack of ethics in journalism.

It's not exactly ironic, but it is incorrect. I mean even GGers finally gave up with that tired excuse and admitted it was all about those evil SJWs[1].

[1] aka anyone who isn't sticking their head in the sand over the numerous cultural issues 'gamers' have

In the end it's just a case of scapegoats and Gamers fall into it quite nicely. After all you can't blame society's problems on people watching the TV, it's easier to go to groups who usually don't communicate much and still seen as "others", if it's the right they'll portray gamers as furry deviants and if it's the left portray them as anti minority/women (especially as now they are having a massive sexual harrasement scandal in their midst, AKA "male feminists").
There's not a lot to but ignore it and realize the people doing it are full as shit. Maybe the next big hobby will come soon and then people will hate that.

Jamcie Kerbizz:

Cry me a fucking river!

GamerGate's biggest sin had nothing to do with some hoop earring wearing con artist/televangelist, or how it supposedly treated women jurnalists, it was because those fuckers turned and devoured your own the second they thought you could make the place ideologically pure and a bastion for the right wing after decades of the satanic panic and the conservatives dragging Mortal Kombat before a senate hearing made it impossible.

Gaming culture wanted to wallow in the mud, and now it's got what it wants.

I don't care how "corporations" perceive me now. It's no worse than how my own fucking hobby does. When NBC starts calling me an SJW degenerate bluepill cuck, give me a call.

Jamcie Kerbizz:

They can't do any worse than the individuals in the hobby have done to their own. And honestly, haven't. At least they've been more polite about it.

That video could be the literal definition of fake news.

undeadsuitor:
i thought gamers were dead

They're not dead, they just went back to their home planet.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Now our self appointed defenders are shouting "DEUS VULT" right beside them. Man how times change...

Smithnikov:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

Cry me a fucking river!

GamerGate's biggest sin had nothing to do with some hoop earring wearing con artist/televangelist, or how it supposedly treated women jurnalists, it was because those fuckers turned and devoured your own the second they thought you could make the place ideologically pure and a bastion for the right wing after decades of the satanic panic and the conservatives dragging Mortal Kombat before a senate hearing made it impossible.

Gaming culture wanted to wallow in the mud, and now it's got what it wants.

I don't care how "corporations" perceive me now. It's no worse than how my own fucking hobby does. When NBC starts calling me an SJW degenerate bluepill cuck, give me a call.

Still beating that drum? How many times do people have to demonstrate that you are full of it before you find a new drum to beat?

Your entire reasoning is that some people that were affliated with GamerGate according to you said you were a Cuck. That's all you've got.

If I were you I'd consider it worrisome if I felt compelled to make such grandiose claims unprovoked with so very little reason. It seems that Cuck comment struck a serious nerve with you, wouldn't you agree? Do you not think it's weird that some off-hand comment on a Forum apparently bothers you so much?

Fischgopf:

Still beating that drum?

Like Keith Moon after two lines of coke, baby.

How many times do people have to demonstrate that you are full of it before you find a new drum to beat?

It'll stop when they stop proving me right.

It'll also stop when they cease providing DarksydePhil and LowTeirGod with money.

Your entire reasoning is that some people that were affliated with GamerGate according to you said you were a Cuck. That's all you've got.[/quoe]

And a bluepill. And a race traitor. And "not a real gamer". And "Casual trash". And an "SJW". And a "libtard".

[quote]If I were you I'd consider it worrisome if I felt compelled to make such grandiose claims unprovoked with so very little reason. It seems that Cuck comment struck a serious nerve with you, wouldn't you agree? Do you not think it's weird that some off-hand comment on a Forum apparently bothers you so much?

I don't exactly care for people I've defended over the years saying that because I dont' jive with their personal politics or their game tastes, I qualify as someone to be purged, and somehow it also means I have a fetish for watching my wife ram other men. Yea, it's a quirk for me.

maninahat:

Its basically Skype but it operates an awful lot like Teamspeak 3 does. Its also not shit like Skype is these days.

iamzim101:

My benchmark for fake news is that thing a while back where Jared Kushner was allegedly registered to vote as a woman, when in truth it was an administrative error.

That video is simply a smear. And as OP is saying, the target is Discord.

gigastar:

iamzim101:

My benchmark for fake news is that thing a while back where Jared Kushner was allegedly registered to vote as a woman, when in truth it was an administrative error.

Kushner registering as a woman and Kushner being registered as a woman (possibly due to said administrative error) are two different things. IIRC, the second one was correct and how it was framed in news stories.

...I mean, we just had a whole bunch of gamers tie their underwear up into knots over Wolf 2's #MakeAmericaNaziFreeAgain.

Wasn't, you know, all gamers, or even most, but that looks really bad regardless. Especially all the hand-wringing over it making gamers violent.

KissingSunlight:
My very first post on The Escapist stated, "If gamers were a minority group, you would be accused of blaming the victims."

But they ain't. If anyone honestly thinks this, they need to take themselves way less seriously. Shit like this is why I identify more as a teacher in training and a writer than a gamer. Gaming is full of people who act like they're some kind of persecuted minority when in reality it's highly unlikely they'll ever face true persecution or oppression for their gaming hobbies.

Fuck's sake.

Also your precious GG had a great big hit list of websites they wanted to take down, and some of which were for reasons like saying good things about Gone Home, that game that had the story about lesbians and journalists liked it and some gamers got their knickers in a twist over it. Your precious GG attacked me because I had the gall to be neutral. I've had people in GG tell me directly to my face that the movement was more about SJWs than Journalism.

Don't feed me that bull.

Avnger:

gigastar:

iamzim101:

Kushner registering as a woman and Kushner being registered as a woman (possibly due to said administrative error) are two different things. IIRC, the second one was correct and how it was framed in news stories.

Its not "possibly" an administrative error, the New York State Board of Elections stated that it was their mistake.

That CNN article was published on September 28th, heres the original story from Wired the day before.

I will say to their credit Wired have issued a correction, though seriously they should have fact checked the story before trying to get a political potshot in and ending up with egg on their face for it.

Wait, I thought this was going to be about serious corporate malevolence, not some SQW rambling about hurt feelings. Damn, son, even then, game companies are the tip of the ice-berg and generally harmless in comparison to the rest beneath the depths of everyday distraction.
Try the Pharmaceutical industry, Nestle, ATOS, Kellogg's, Unilever eccettarra xssetirrah...but no, got to be those oppressed 'gamers' because somebody online said something negative about something they liked. Me and my human hobby buddies have never experienced any of this at all. This is an internet molehill for the cherry-picking easily offended again. So melodramatic it's genuinely impressive.
Is...is this an incel thing?

gigastar:

Avnger:

gigastar:

Its not "possibly" an administrative error, the New York State Board of Elections stated that it was their mistake.

That CNN article was published on September 28th, heres the original story from Wired the day before.

I will say to their credit Wired have issued a correction, though seriously they should have fact checked the story before trying to get a political potshot in and ending up with egg on their face for it.

I said possibly because I didn't remember for sure it was an administrative error. However, nothing in that story is false. Jared Kushner was registered to vote as a woman and did vote in an election with that registration. Those are factual events that happened regardless of whether it was an administrative error or Kushner's filed form that caused them.

gigastar:

maninahat:

Its basically Skype but it operates an awful lot like Teamspeak 3 does. Its also not shit like Skype is these days.

b) i) I don't even know what Teamspeak 3 is.

maninahat:

gigastar:

maninahat:

b) i) I don't even know what Teamspeak 3 is.

Teamspeak is like Skype but it predates Skype in all its iterations and is nowhere near as much of a RAM hog.

It also didnt have video chat, but who gives a shit.

I...Wha....Jus...WHA.

Ok, first of all...

Maaaaybe people are jumping ship to Discord because, oh I don't know, Skype is shit, Microsoft?

Seriously, Skype may allow for video chat and group chat (oh, but not with screensharing or video chat unless you pay a premium), but the messaging side is kinda crap, you can't balance the damn audio well, and it's loaded with irritating ads, and is a massive bandwidth hog, has plenty of bots who spam you AND some weird security error that keeps letting bots somehow get into my account to spam people on my contact list with spam.

Meanwhile discord has actual groups, allowing my Elite Dangerous faction to easily organize for Powerplay actions or influencing the background simulation, as well as gaming chat that's drop-in-drop-out with ease, and "slack"-like message boards for trading strategies when not playing, mobile support, moderator capability, and it's only a moderate bandwith hog instead of a massive one AND there aren't annoying ads! The only downsides are that there's no-...Oh, what's that? They implemented private and group calls? And Video chat? WELP, there's no downsides.

Seriously, Skype feels like it's designed for advertisers first and the users as a very distant second, while Discord feels like it puts the users first and foremost. Hell, literally the only thing monetized so far are emojiis. Discord, for all its problems and bugs is clearly the better software.

So, you know, maybe if your software wasn't SHIT, Microsoft, people wouldn't abandon it! I jumped ship to Discord months and months ago. I legit had to re-install Skype once for a long-distance job interview and that was it. I have no interest in it anymore because it's like comparing a broken down coach wagon to a Tesla car.

So yeah, considering skype is shit, and isn't built for organizing groups of people, I'm not surprised that some asshats used Discord over skype to plan out some nasty shit. But pointing at Discord like it's the thing at fault is like saying 'Hey they all rolled up to the event in electric cars, are electric cars responsible for the alt-right?"

Secondly...

Can we just appreciate that if Microsoft is the one pushing that narrative, how hilarious it is? Because they hold half the next-gen console market. Hey Microsoft, think that'll be good PR? I don't.

I mean, I couldn't get past more than a minute of the video. It's just...GAH!

Look, are there problem people in Gaming? Hell yes there are. Far too many of them. I've been matched with some really shitty people in Overwatch before. I've seen the streams where girls get matched with teams of assholes who are openly sexist.

But to try to make some kind of link between gamers in general and the alt-right/KKK?! What? That's just stupid and un-true and they have to know it. Both groups (Hardcore gamers and the alt-right) just so happen to share part of the "middle class white male" demographic.

Is there work that needs to be done among gamers to clean out the shitty people? Yes. But pinning the alt-right on people who happen to enjoy video games is absurd. Pretty sure that white supremacy's been around since BEFORE gaming existed.

Smithnikov:

I don't care how "corporations" perceive me now. It's no worse than how my own fucking hobby does.

As a woman in gaming this has been my stance for the last decade and a half or so. No matter what "media" or "the establishment" or "moral guardians" say about gamers, I've already heard worse about my own person from other gamers, due to my gender. So fuck that noise and grow thicker skin, if you can't even handle the fact that news media correctly reports on the non-existent monitoring of Discord servers, which allows hate groups to congregate there.

maninahat:

Well this is a fascinating insight.

For what it's worth:
a) I never refer to myself as a gamer. It's a stupid fucking name for a thing. I agree. However since I do play games and apparently that makes me an alt-right/Trump supporter/GamerGater/murderer now, what's your point? Gamer is an apt description of someone who enjoys playing video games. If you dn't you're not a gamer if you do you are a gamer.
b) I don't even know what Discord is. I don't use it. Though I knew wha it were and I know in what shape and form Skype is after Microsoft taking it over (due to my former employer negotiating deal on audience metric measurement in it. It's s hit show with brilliant engineers still in place and corporate overlords from MS shooting down anything and everything creative.
c) That Trump is a terrible human isn't the real problem, it's that enough people voted for him to be in charge. That's the case whether I can vote or not.
d) My country wasn't poor or ethnically homogeneous, but 51.9% of UK voters are trying and succeeding to make it that way. Collective 5% of world's population that is USA + UK needs to understand one thing, you made your bed now go lay in it. Stop being bigotted racist/sexist/whatever other extreme you use to clubber people you don't agree with, while applying these insults based on arbitrary labels that pertain to the remaining 95% of population. i.e having a hobby that is playing video games, being indicative of some USA+UK squabble sides or morality. Got it? No? I really doubt you will ever get it until you take your heads out of your asses and realise that you are minority. Sometimes a really tardy one.

e) The thing about women doesn't even make sense. If you aren't an egalitarian or even at very least a feminist, it will not make any sense to you. To any individual, that is egalitarian by principle and consistently applies that principle it is clear. Why would my principles be questioned based on hobby choices? That, doesn't make sense.

Yet somehow turnout here is oblivious to how stupid this manipulation by MS is. All it took was for NBC to tick few boxes: GG, alt right, murder and instantly so many of you act as if you were conditioned to be brain dead throughout idiotic conflation that: gamers = GG = EVIL = discord users = alt-right = murderers = gamers evil by original sin now. This piece is so dumb that even NBC's News own audience disapproved. But here?
1) I got a racist, or race-realist or whatever he is acccustomed to call himself to alleviate his racist beliefs, spewing some racial based hatred on gamers demographics (probably failing to mention that he only ment UK+USA but who cares, he is still a biggoted guy bringing up race to measure conduct of individuals. Collectively.)
2) guys crying about feelings and emotions, one about his own personal tragedy the other trying to make some sort of olympics out of it (even though... feelings and emotions are not mentioned. They're irrelevant. It's reason and logic that took a hit here.
3) people making 'arguments', like there are worse things or that they are ignorant to surroundings etc. Like why exactly do you felt compeled to look for such outlandish excuses for this kind of BS being pushed by corporation.

It's really simple here: NBCN (Microsoft owned) tries to push a smear campaign on Discord, direct competitor of Skype (also Microsoft owned). They do that at the expense of anyone who likes to play video games. They do that despite being one if not the biggest corporation involved in video game industry.

That's who you are to corporations.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or