An actual "Communist" game to trigger the GG/right wing crowd?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I've recently gotten into Riot: Civil Unrest, an early access rioters vs police RTS. It's really REALLY unpolished still, but I am already digging it's style, it's concepts and grey morality. Lot of potential in it, and I'm going to do my part to help it along.

But this thread isn't about R:CU. This is about another game that came up in my reccomendations on account of it.

Whoa...

Rhetoric right out of the Manifesto it'self.

An opening scene of 1%'ers complete with a pixel-art Donald Trump type in the limo, getting firebombed by people dressed like they would fit right in with the Bolshevik revolutionaries back in the bad old days of the USSR.

A dev team even calling themselves a worker's union.

And cap it all off with cutesy little chibi brawling to a cybergoth synth soundtrack.

I want this game for it's tone and style alone, but I'm doubly getting behind it just to see the reaction of the overpowering right wing culture that pervades the gaming community lately.

Any thoughts?

I kinda' take offense you think Pro-#GG and Right Wing Trumpers are one and the same. I mean do I get to say that anti-#GG and rapists are linked, as they're "liberal" and Kevin Spacey is also "liberal"?

Just change the fucking title. Fuck me, are you looking for an actual discussion or just confirmation bias?

As far as the game is concerned, its just another shitty Mob game, sorta like BroForce meets Clash of Clans. I would say 'desperate try hard' but the cynic in me knows that the exact phrasing they're trying for, as it generates clicks and views with controversy.

So let's just go with forgettable.

Silentpony:
I kinda' take offense you think Pro-#GG and Right Wing Trumpers are one and the same.

Oh DEAR, wherever did I get that idea. It couldn't have possibly been having people like Milo, Matt Forney, Vox Day, Sargon of Akkad all literally toasting glasses at GamerGate sponsored pub events, or that so much of it grew out of /pol/. Nah. Just imagining that.

I mean do I get to say that anti-#GG and rapists are linked, as they're "liberal" and Kevin Spacey is also "liberal"?

That's already the case. I'm a cuck libtard feminist safe space loving casual not just for playing the games I play, but hell, I recently got called that because I'm against team killing in Friday the 13th. It's an easy title to gain, so fuck it, why not cheer on something that triggers GG'ers to the point of wanting to throw people out of helicopters. Literally.

Just change the fucking title. Fuck me, are you looking for an actual discussion or just confirmation bias?

If Inu, B-Cell, and Zontar are allowed to do it, than so am I baby.

As far as the game is concerned, its just another shitty Mob game, sorta like BroForce meets Clash of Clans. I would say 'desperate try hard' but the cynic in me knows that the exact phrasing they're trying for, as it generates clicks and views with controversy.

So let's just go with forgettable.

Fair enough.

I'm pretty sure Red Faction Guerrilla fits the same eat the rich style story and it didn't manage to light the fires of Revolution. I don't really like the style in gameplay or graphics from what I've seen. You may also like Tooth and Tail, but I think that is a commies v commies game. There are so many anti capitalism games but it seems there aren't many pro communism ones.

Are we sure this isn't just commu-broforce? The general tone of it reminds me of it, and Broforce doesn't seem like a genuine endorsement of the vietnam war, the war on terror or Mel Gibson's career so much as it is an overblown sendup of the ludicrous machismo and fanatical patriotism of 80s and 90s action films, neither truly endorsing nor condemning them

CyanCat47:
Are we sure this isn't just commu-broforce? The general tone of it reminds me of it, and Broforce doesn't seem like a genuine endorsement of the vietnam war, the war on terror or Mel Gibson's career so much as it is an overblown sendup of the ludicrous machismo and fanatical patriotism of 80s and 90s action films, neither truly endorsing nor condemning them

Is there really that much pro-Communist popular media wood to chop for a satire though? Don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating concept if it is, but I'd be surprised if that was their style bend.

I present to you Liberal Crime Squad.

http://lcs.wikidot.com/

Looks like fun. Honestly, the type of game I'd be hankering to play is a Close Combat esque take on the subject matter. Like a mod where you takr on Police and National Guard.

A COMMUNIST game... distributed in a capitalist way.
The proletariat would be proud.

Silentpony:
I kinda' take offense you think Pro-#GG and Right Wing Trumpers are one and the same. I mean do I get to say that anti-#GG and rapists are linked, as they're "liberal" and Kevin Spacey is also "liberal"?

They use similar talking points and lingo. They both seem to see the lack of explicit right-wing bias in something as proof of sinister left-wing thought-policing (indicating that they are used to the slant of Fox News and think balanced coverage looks like that). They both also seem to regard even the mildest critique as a concerted effort to take away everything they love (such as the milquetoast feminist frequency being viewed as Jack Thompson 2.0 or anyone suggesting that some tighter gun ownership laws might be a good idea being called a "gun grabber").

jademunky:

Silentpony:

They use similar talking points and lingo. They both seem to see the lack of explicit right-wing bias in something as proof of sinister left-wing thought-policing (indicating that they are used to the slant of Fox News and think balanced coverage looks like that). They both also seem to regard even the mildest critique as a concerted effort to take away everything they love (such as the milquetoast feminist frequency being viewed as Jack Thompson 2.0 or anyone suggesting that some tighter gun ownership laws might be a good idea being called a "gun grabber").

But you can say the exact same thing as anti-GG, just change Right wing to Left wing, Fox News to Jezebel and feminist frequency to Boogie2988

Silentpony:

But you can say the exact same thing as anti-GG, just change Right wing to Left wing, Fox News to Jezebel and feminist frequency to Boogie2988

Except that actual large blocs of people watch Fox News where the amount of people who read Jezebel and FF are..... well lower comparatively. I've only watched the first Sarkeesian video due to the backlash against her and had seen enough to know that while I generally agreed with her POV, her targets were a little too obvious and presentation a little dry. I also recognized I was not really the target audience and would've just preferred to move on like I do with the Pony franchise.

As for that Boogie guy, I have no idea what he is all about. His only content I have seen is him literally brought to tears over how mean Anita was to him.

Silentpony:

jademunky:

Silentpony:

That's already been the case.

I mean, why would anyone be triggered? Last I checked, it was the Good and the Righteous over at The Right Side of History that were convinced of the totally real (yet somehow never, in any shape or form, actually demonstrated) deleterious social effects of mass media entertainment.

Vanilla ISIS:
A COMMUNIST game... distributed in a capitalist way.
The proletariat would be proud.

Che Guevara T-shirt: The Game.

Rad/5, would subvert again.

Ogoid:
I mean, why would anyone be triggered?

The same reason they were triggered over Phasmal, Battlefield: Hardline, Fury Road, ect...

Last I checked, it was the Good and the Righteous over at The Right Side of History that were convinced of the totally real (yet somehow never, in any shape or form, actually demonstrated) deleterious social effects of mass media entertainment.

You meant these guys? I'm SURRRE you meant these guys....

(Hmm, I haven't checked in on Game Industry Discussion in a while...)

*Walks in*

Oh, still this.

*Backs out*

Xprimentyl:
(Hmm, I haven?t checked in on Game Industry Discussion in a while?)

*Walks in*

Oh, still this.

*Backs out*

You should use the Abe Simpson gif for this. Trust me, it's more funny and concise.

Smithnikov:

The same reason they were triggered over Phasmal, Battlefield: Hardline, Fury Road, ect...

I don't know what the first two are (DuckDuckGo gives me some military FPS for the second and pretty much nothing for the first), so... yeah.

As far as Fury Road is concerned, though, I've said before and I'll say it again - it's a godawful film and an even worse Mad Max film, for reasons I'll be all too glad to go into (in excruciatingly extensive detail) if you want, but that have precious little to do with Gamergate.

Unless you mean that one crackpot blogger who, to the best of my knowledge, never involved himself with Gamergate, but whose inane ramblings about Fury Road to an audience of maybe three people prompted a barrage of totally-not-ideologically-driven puff pieces from so-called professional media, praising it to high heavens for its goodthink.

[vid snip]

You meant these guys? I'm SURRRE you meant these guys....

Well, yes. Like those, as a matter of fact.

I've no idea who "Michael Savage" is supposed to be, and am only tangentially aware of what the NRA is, what with the whole not being American and being by and large uninterested in politics shebang. That said, I don't think I've ever denied there being cretinous ideologues willing to blame mass entertainment for societal ills on both sides of the political spectrum.

Ogoid:

I've no idea who "Michael Savage" is supposed to be, and am only tangentially aware of what the NRA is, what with the whole not being American and being by and large uninterested in politics shebang. That said, I don't think I've ever denied there being cretinous ideologues willing to blame mass entertainment for societal ills on both sides of the political spectrum.

Yet those two are considered allies by GamerGate and were given a pass...

Smithnikov:

Yet those two are considered allies by GamerGate

They are? News to me.

and were given a pass...

Again, news to me. As you may or may not know, this highly organized hate group (that also consists of like 300 pathetic neckbeards in their parents' basements with a couple hundred sockpuppets each) isn't, in fact, actually very organized.

If no one got around to criticizing those, though, I'd sooner attribute it to that being no more than what we've come to expect from those types for the last 20 or so years, as well as their having considerably less visibility and reach than their equivalently partisan counterparts in mainstream media.

Ogoid:

They are? News to me.

Indeed. All you have to be is right wing to be an ally. Gavin McGinnis flat out went ina gainst GamerGate and gaming in general, and he was still considered an ally.

Again, news to me. As you may or may not know, this highly organized hate group

Never claimed they were a hate group. I simply consider them another right wing group.

If no one got around to criticizing those, though, I'd sooner attribute it to that being no more than what we've come to expect from those types for the last 20 or so years, as well as their having considerably less visibility and reach than their equivalently partisan counterparts in mainstream media.

Fox News and Brietbart have done pretty good.

Ogoid:

Smithnikov:

Yet those two are considered allies by GamerGate

They are? News to me.

and were given a pass...

Again, news to me. As you may or may not know, this highly organized hate group (that also consists of like 300 pathetic neckbeards in their parents' basements with a couple hundred sockpuppets each) isn't, in fact, actually very organized.

Oh man, don't get sucked into Smithnikov's... whatever it is that he always does. You know, that "AND YET GamerGate has NEVER condemned Old Zeke McGuffin, who can be regularly heard drunkenly yelling about the sinfulness of gaming from his shotgun shack up by yonder Possum Creek!" thing. Which apparently proves that the whole GG GANG is in cahoots with the Appalachian Church of Seventh Day Snake Handlers.

I leaned this for myself the hard way.

StatusNil:

Oh man, don't get sucked into Smithnikov's... whatever it is that he always does.

Show up a supposedly apolitical advocacy group's blatant political bias?

You know, that "AND YET GamerGate has NEVER condemned Old Zeke McGuffin, who can be regularly heard drunkenly yelling about the sinfulness of gaming from his shotgun shack up by yonder Possum Creek!" thing. Which apparently proves that the whole GG GANG is in cahoots with the Appalachian Church of Seventh Day Snake Handlers.

When ol Zeke has millions of listeners, or is one of the most powerful lobby groups in the USA, or is the highest rated news channel in the US, then that comparison will apply.

But hey, when random college dumbass or journo with colored hair tweets something stupid, SIGNIFICANCE!

StatusNil:
the Appalachian Church of Seventh Day Snake Handlers.

Don't pick on the snake handlers, the only thing that separates them from other Christians is that when they read their Bibles, they don't pretend that Mark 16:17-18 isn't there (kind of like the frequency with which Christians in general like to gloss over Genesis 38, while still invoking it when convenient...). Other than that, they are more or less exactly as ridiculous as the rest of Christianity.

Schadrach:

Don't pick on the snake handlers, the only thing that separates them from other Christians is that when they read their Bibles, they don't pretend that Mark 16:17-18 isn't there (kind of like the frequency with which Christians in general like to gloss over Genesis 38, while still invoking it when convenient...). Other than that, they are more or less exactly as ridiculous as the rest of Christianity.

OK, duly noted. It was just something I picked to stand in for "esoteric" with a suggestion of remote rurality, with no further consideration of any doctrinal points of note. But I appreciate the reminder that few things are as esoteric or remote as they might appear to our personal perspectives these days.

Also, there are some communist corporations in EVE Online that you can join. There's something metaphorical about how even within EVE Online, which is designed to be the optimal neoliberal fantasy, shared ownership of wealth is still an extremely viable strategy.

renegade7:
Also, there are some communist corporations in EVE Online that you can join. There's something metaphorical about how even within EVE Online, which is designed to be the optimal neoliberal fantasy, shared ownership of wealth is still an extremely viable strategy.

>communist corporations

>COMMUNIST CORPORATIONS

>COMMUNIST

>CORPORATIONS

AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE WHO'S ACTUALLY READ MARX?!

Smithnikov:

renegade7:

>communist corporations

>COMMUNIST CORPORATIONS

>COMMUNIST

>CORPORATIONS

AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE WHO'S ACTUALLY READ MARX?!

Heh, it does sound surreal and funny when you think about it.
Though I think every organized grouping in EVE is called a corporation..
I haven't played it myself, so I could be wrong.
However, if that "organization" were to share it's plunder/profits equally..it could be called a.. Communist Corporation.
*Badum-tish*

Whats funny is this game can be either pro communist or anti communist all by changing the very last scene. What happens after the revolution? Is there a utopia of abundance, or a apocalyptic Mad Max style world where everything sucks for everyone.

cthulhuspawn82:
Whats funny is this game can be either pro communist or anti communist all by changing the very last scene. What happens after the revolution? Is there a utopia of abundance, or a apocalyptic Mad Max style world where everything sucks for everyone.

I think they've already averted some of that by insisting that this is "not real world politics". And yea, from the presentation, it is simplistic as hell. We're not talking Obsidian level writing here.

But is it fun?

As somebody who's frequently accused of being some sort of Neo-nazi right-winger, despite voting left and supporting left causes.

I'm completely fine with it.

Sure, there's some hypocrisy in the distribution and so on. But, ultimately, the argument for me was always "Make your own games, stop trying to change ours", and now they have.

So, good..?

The Lunatic:
Sure, there's some hypocrisy in the distribution and so on. But, ultimately, the argument for me was always "Make your own games, stop trying to change ours", and now they have.

Out of curiosity, what counts as trying to change 'your' games? Also... who are you, and what are 'your' games? I'm not familiar with you or whatever groups or cliques you may associate with.

The Lunatic:
As somebody who's frequently accused of being some sort of Neo-nazi right-winger, despite voting left and supporting left causes.

I'm completely fine with it.

So, good..?

Good.

But as above, which ones are "your" games?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here