Crytek files lawsuit against Robert Space Industries and Cloud Imperium Games

You really should just watch the video. Theres so much to go over ill probably miss something in this summary.

Crytek alleges;
1) Breach of contract over use of CryEngine and Squadron 42. S42 used to be considered part of SC itself but is now considered a separate game, which is a violation of the CryEngine license which was for SC only.

2) RSI and CIG were supposed to make sure that Crytek and CryEngine trademarks were prominently displayed in a splash screen when starting the game up. This splash screen was removed when CS transitioned to Amazon Lumberyard, thus breaching the licence agreement.

3) RSI and CIG, as part of the licence agreement, were to use CryEngine exclusively for developing CS, this was also breached with the transition to Amazon Lumberyard.

4) RSI and CIG, as part of the licence agreement, were to provide any fixes and optimizations to the CryEngine and Cryteks development tools to Crytek. Despite reminders of this obligation in Nov 2015, Nov 2016 and June 2017 RSI and CIG have failed to meet this obligation.

5) RSI and CIG breached an NDA and non-compete in the following ways;
5a) Display of confidential CryEngine information in the Youtube video series 'Bugsmashers'.
5b) RSI/CIG's partership with Faceware Technologies, in which Crytek alleges that Faceware received access to underlying CryEngine technology, including the source code.

These last two may have been fine but RSI/CIG committed these acts without Cryteks permission and Faceware were not made to sign an NDA or non-compete agreement.

In conclusion, RSI and CIG be in hot water.

For those interested in further detail on the lawsuit filing then Leonard French gives a blow-by-blow of the filing in this livestream.

Honestly, Star Citizen seems to be more successful as a drama magnet then as a potential game at this point. This may or may not change if the game is actually released anytime in the next decade.

OTOH, now they're selling virtual property(plots of land) in game, so I'm sure they'll have money for lawyers.

Edited for spelling.

Dalisclock:
Honestly, Star Citizen seems to be more successful at a drama magnet then as a potential game at this point. This may or may not change if the game is actually released anytime in the next decade.

OTOH, now they're selling virtual property(plots of land) in game, so I'm sure they'll have money for lawyers.

Not gonna lie, I'm absolutely thought that Star Citizen was dead. I didn't even know that it was still a thing. I mean, hasn't it been in development for like five years?

#NotEnoughPopcornInTheWorld

cjspyres:

Dalisclock:
Honestly, Star Citizen seems to be more successful at a drama magnet then as a potential game at this point. This may or may not change if the game is actually released anytime in the next decade.

Not gonna lie, I'm absolutely thought that Star Citizen was dead. I didn't even know that it was still a thing. I mean, hasn't it been in development for like five years?

Isnt that big update they promised last year several months overdue now?

SCam is scam. Red flags all over the place since the beginning.

What has me both astounded and confounded is that no proper Freelancer style game has been made, what with all the money and hype that this single game has attracted. You would think that copy-cats and trend-followers would be all over that.

I just want a game similar to Freelancer. It did so many things right.

Vendor-Lazarus:

What has me both astounded and confounded is that no proper Freelancer style game has been made, what with all the money and hype that this single game has attracted. You would think that copy-cats and trend-followers would be all over that.

Well... given that RSI promised Derek Smart levrls of game before and the end result was the awesome Freelancer (despite not living up to all its projected parts)... maybe you might get your wish innnnnn~~~~... shall we say 2021?

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Vendor-Lazarus:

Well... given that RSI promised Derek Smart levrls of game before and the end result was the awesome Freelancer (despite not living up to all its projected parts)... maybe you might get your wish innnnnn~~~~... shall we say 2021?

I must confess that I had a bit of a problem interpreting the meaning of your sentence, but I think I've come to understand it.
You mean to say that Roberts promised the sky with regards to Freelancer in it's development, and fell short, but still delivered a cult classic. And that due to delays and the buyout of Digital Anvil by MS, a prolonged development cycle is par for the course?

All that is true, and if it is ever released, we can expect more of the same.
There is only one thing that mar this for me. Well, two things.
The Online aspect, and the forced cockpit view.
Three things.. The full on greed displayed with selling ships and lands for huge sums put a bit of a damper on it as well.
The allegations of wrongdoings are so far just that. Allegations. I will remain skeptic, to both sides.

Does Star Citizen even remotely resemble a playable game yet?

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/7/16438662/star-citizen-3-0-update-release-date-early-access-alpha

Actually, it requires potential owners to re-conceptualize the meaning of the word "unfinished."

Yeah, that doesn't inspire confidence.

They should just pay Crytek in couple of those exclusive pre-order ships.

Vendor-Lazarus:

There's always Elite: Dangerous. It's lacking a few features of Freelancer from what I hear (I'm absolutely heretical and have never played Freelancer, only a bit of the semi-sequel Starlancer), but it's still a very fun game.

Ravinoff:

Vendor-Lazarus:

There's always Elite: Dangerous. It's lacking a few features of Freelancer from what I hear (I'm absolutely heretical and have never played Freelancer, only a bit of the semi-sequel Starlancer), but it's still a very fun game.

Thanks for the tip, however, Elite: Dangerous is exactly like Star Citizen in that it is Online and forces a cockpit view.
Only difference is that ED is sort of finished.
If it hadn't been for those two aspects, I would have bought both in a heartbeat.

Oh, and I'm quite sure that Starlancer is the prequel to Freelancer. As an aside, it's also more of a military mission-based rail-shooter in space, instead of the Space Trading and Combat Simulator that Freelancer is.

I'm sure the backers will be more than happy to fund the court fees again. That sunk cost fallacy is going to really sting when the ball finally drops though. Am not sure if I can feel bad for them at this point.

Man, this is some Grade AAA drama. No "the community manager made fan art", no "I think I was unfairly banned from the forums", no "sign our petition against the bad people".

This is delicious.

Vendor-Lazarus:

I must confess that I had a bit of a problem interpreting the meaning of your sentence, but I think I've come to understand it.
You mean to say that Roberts promised the sky with regards to Freelancer in it's development, and fell short, but still delivered a cult classic. And that due to delays and the buyout of Digital Anvil by MS, a prolonged development cycle is par for the course?

Three things.. The full on greed displayed with selling ships and lands for huge sums put a bit of a damper on it as well.
The allegations of wrongdoings are so far just that. Allegations. I will remain skeptic, to both sides.

You've never heard of D. Smart? Guy was head of the infamous Battlecruiser 3000... promising stupid levels of shit and DS (never quote his name three times, for he will come...) was responsible for the biggest Usenet flamewar in history. Promising neural networks, a massive universe of being able to do everything... from organising boarding parties, and leading invading armies in a universe universe.

If you think Daikatana was bad... DS practically defined the idea of internet flame wars.

If the internet culture ever develops mythology, DS and Battlecruiser 3000 is going to be part of its 'Classical Age'.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Vendor-Lazarus:

You've never heard of D. Smart? Guy was head of the infamous Battlecruiser 3000... promising stupid levels of shit and DS (never quote his name three times, for he will come...) was responsible for the biggest Usenet flamewar in history. Promising neural networks, a massive universe of being able to do everything... from organising boarding parties, and leading invading armies in a universe universe.

If you think Daikatana was bad... DS practically defined the idea of internet flame wars.

If the internet culture ever develops mythology, DS and Battlecruiser 3000 is going to be part of its 'Classical Age'.

I must have, somehow, missed that entirely. Never played any of his games either.
The first time I heard of him was last year. He was criticizing Star Citizen yet people "on his side" still seemed to not want to associate with him. Now I know why!

Yeah, Daikatana was bad..Romero took a hit on that one.

Wow, even though I lived through it, I was oblivious. Just not my exact particular scene/area/niche.

Thanks for the info and history Dump!

Vendor-Lazarus:

I must have, somehow, missed that entirely. Never played any of his games either.
The first time I heard of him was last year. He was criticizing Star Citizen yet people "on his side" still seemed to not want to associate with him. Now I know why!

Wow, even though I lived through it, I was oblivious. Just not my exact particular scene/area/niche.

That's okay! According to your profile you're one year younger than me, and I'm not sure how good the Swedish education system was back when you were 7 through 11 that the largely English-written flame wars days of those internet forums would have been understandable.

After all... pre-Google as anything much more than decent search engine option.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Vendor-Lazarus:

That's okay! According to your profile you're one year younger than me, and I'm not sure how good the Swedish education system was back when you were 7 through 11 that the largely English-written flame wars days of those internet forums would have been understandable.

After all... pre-Google as anything much more than decent search engine option.

A bit embarrassing to admit, but even before I started school I sent love-letters to a girl "neighbor" who was as proficient as me in reading and writing.
I picked up English equally well, when they started teaching us in 3rd grade. I've always loved languages.

That said, I didn't have internet (56k dial-up!!) until I was 11-12, so that explains that!
Daikatana must have been a few years later than DS then. That I even read about in the Swedish PCGamer, and on the forums.

More like Star Shit-izen, amirite folks? Thank you, thank you...

Anyway, after all this drama, it seems like donating to this game is really just a giant game of Roulette. What're the odds on whether this game comes out at all?

And what is it with the video game industry attracting all these bloviating, Erlich Bachman-esque, would-be auteurs that promise the sun and the moon but deliver a plate of dull rocks instead? Seems like this industry is rife with game designers that are great at talking a big game and not a hellova lot else.

Chewster:
And what is it with the video game industry attracting all these bloviating, Erlich Bachman-esque, would-be auteurs that promise the sun and the moon but deliver a plate of dull rocks instead? Seems like this industry is rife with game designers that are great at talking a big game and not a hellova lot else.

It's not. It's a matter of established creators with excellent resumes thinking that they can deliver the sun and the moon when the restrictions placed on them by their publishers are gone: Romero gave us Doom and Quake- and then Daikatana. Peter Molyneux gave us Populous and Dungeon Keeper- and then Fable (and then Godus). Richard Garriott gave us Ultima and Ultima online- and then Tabula Rasa. Chris Roberts gave us Wing Commander and Strike Commander- and then left video gaming before his work turned crappy. (His next work, incidentally, was the Wing Commander movie, which is widely viewed as being bad even by the standards of video game movies).

What gets me is this genre keeps attracting people. As someone who's played the original Elite, I do not see the value in these endless iterations of it. Buy a cargo, sell a cargo, win a dogfight, complete a mission (which will be some variation of delivering a cargo and/or winning a dogfight) and bam! You've seen everything the game has to offer, save for long travel times wherein nothing happens. It's almost like being a truck driver.

Isn't Star Citizen still (technically) in Early Access? Half of that lawsuit sounds like only applies for officially launched products. Meh! Whatever. I'm not a backer, so it really isn't my business. And even if I were a backer, there would be nothing I could do except for playing the heck of it while it lasts.

Dalisclock:

Not only are they selling virtual land, they're selling virtual land that doesn't even exist virtually yet. Basically, you get nothing. Star Citizen is beginning to remind me of those prosperity televangelists with their claims that god told them they needed a bigger jet, and their fans are like dumb fucks who keep sending them money.

I don't think that Roberts is a scam artist though. I think he's just an overly ambitious developer but a very incompetent project manager/businessman. Hence the result that we're seeing.

Adam Jensen:

Dalisclock:

Not only are they selling virtual land, they're selling virtual land that doesn't even exist virtually yet. Basically, you get nothing. Star Citizen is beginning to remind me of those prosperity televangelists with their claims that god told them they needed a bigger jet, and their fans are like dumb fucks who keep sending them money.

I don't think that Roberts is a scam artist though. I think he's just an overly ambitious developer but a very incompetent project manager/businessman. Hence the result that we're seeing.

I just seriously have to question who is the game going to sell to once(if?) it comes out? Because it looks like the people who still believe in it at this point have already dumped truckloads full of money into the pre-order and are already going to get a bunch of stuff because of that. Everyone else either doesn't care or is waiting for proof it's actually worth spending money on.

It just seems like it's gonna be really hard to grow their consumer base unless the game turns out to really shine enough to rival WOW or EVE or something like that in terms of popularity and sales. Maybe SC is going to a whale supported economy?

Dalisclock:

Adam Jensen:

Dalisclock:

I just seriously have to question who is the game going to sell to once(if?) it comes out? Because it looks like the people who still believe in it at this point have already dumped truckloads full of money into the pre-order and are already going to get a bunch of stuff because of that. Everyone else either doesn't care or is waiting for proof it's actually worth spending money on.

It just seems like it's gonna be really hard to grow their consumer base unless the game turns out to really shine enough to rival WOW or EVE or something like that in terms of popularity and sales. Maybe SC is going to a whale supported economy?

Nobody knows, honestly. It's already a whale supported economy, in that it's being held aloft by a minority of big spenders going whole hog into the sunk cost fallacy. You are correct though, in that they are in a bit of a predicament when it comes to target audience, because the chance of them re-couping their costs now is......very slim. The game would have to be good enough to convince all the skeptics that never bought into it or bought into it and left, because I doubt it'll have mass appeal (much like how ELITE didn't have mass appeal either).

And to put it simply, I don't see that happening. Especially if this lawsuit goes through (and I have a feeling it will), it's gonna put them in an even more precarious position than they are now.

A friend of mine convinced me to buy one of the cheapest starter packs when they were on sale a couple months back (cause Alpha 3.0 was going to change everything). Initially it didn't work, my data.p4k file was corrupted on download. This is the biggest file in the game, some 40 gigs. It's also a known problem that AFAIK can only be fixed by either re-downloading the game or replacing it with a known working copy of the file. Ending up grabbing a copy of my friends game and after messing about with it I also have to ask who it's for as well.

The game itself seems overly complicated. Getting into your ship is a 3 step process where it should only really be 1. If there is a shortcut, then the game doesn't make it obvious. I like to play with my y-axis inverted in-game and regular in menus, but there's like 50 different axis inversion options for different views and fuck if I know which ones I want on or off. Let's not go deep into the performance issues, but I haven't experienced chugging like that in....years. Though this rig isn't exactly new I haven't had problems like that with other recent games, and server lag issues meant I couldn't even take off from the landing pad to see how stuff works in space.

There aren't a lot of keybindings, but most of those have been incorporated the interactive menus. This game isn't going to be bringing in a casual audience as it is now, it requires too much effort. I'm guessing they are banking on old school space sim nostalgia, but when I think about it the old stuff really wasn't that complicated. Sure, there were a lot of buttons to press, but you play those games just fine ignoring most of them. Most of the complication here seems to come from unnecessary duplication of functions.

It's an ambitious game, I'll give them that. Having ambition is fine, indeed I would say it's necessary to create a persistent online universe. But I think they are going too big for release. Most of what they are announcing now would be major future content updates for live versions of other games. Honestly, I think this game is aiming at both the casual crowd and the hardcore sim crowd and is making a hash of it, resulting in a game that is probably too complicated for the casuals but not complicated enough for the hardcore.

Uh, according to the *ahem* well-researched article on here that the Escapist took down (>TFW Gawker goes down fighting while the Escapist folds like the [exceptional] [OP]s that they are) Star Citizen doesn't exist anymore, as they ran out of money back in February of 2016.

Anyway, I'm playing Elite Dangerous, and could use help in UA bombing the Dove Enigma.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here