Apple now requires developers to disclose Lootbox odds

http://nichegamer.com/2017/12/21/apple-now-requires-developers-disclose-loot-box-odds/

The company has updated their guidelines for app developers so that should their game contain loot boxes or "other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase," they "must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase."

Im going to be frank about this, i think this is bullshit.

I doubt Apple is going to exert any effort to punish even one appstore developer that blatantly violates this new rule.

I'm quite surprised by this, even if it is a token effort.
It sounds good, but then again it could confer even more power onto apple to apply selections for their closed app-store.

I might as well put in a little dig at Apple while I'm at it. ^^
They are still overpriced toys for aesthetic hippies after all. ,)

I don't have any apple products (don't hate them either) so it won't directly effect me. In any case, seems like a good move. If it's only token, that sucks, but it's still better than nothing.

gigastar:
http://nichegamer.com/2017/12/21/apple-now-requires-developers-disclose-loot-box-odds/

The company has updated their guidelines for app developers so that should their game contain loot boxes or ?other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase,? they ?must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase.?

Im going to be frank about this, i think this is bullshit.

I doubt Apple is going to exert any effort to punish even one appstore developer that blatantly violates this new rule.

Well, when the microtransactions F2P regulations hit in EU, they were actually implemented (for better and for worse)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here