Poll: Those Bitter People At Nintendo

With their bitter minds and bitter hearts, releasing bitter consoles to push out bitter stories in bitter games with bitter gameplay on bitter cartridges;

*SLURP!*

*Smack* *Smack*

Huh, this thing is tasteless.

Interesting, can anyone else here not taste the bitterant on Nintendo Switch console cartridges and what was the reaction you had when/(if) you made someone else taste it?

EDIT: I just realised immediately after posting that I put this in the Game Industry section though since the bitterant is more or less an actual policy of the company I guess this thread is in the right place, maybe?

I find it odd there's no option for; "I haven't put game cartridges in my mouth."

Given their size, maybe it's a legal thing with kids?

Addendum_Forthcoming:
I find it odd there's no option for; "I haven't put game cartridges in my mouth."

Do you find it odd that I do not believe you? XD

As for the legal stance, I could have sworn that I read somewhere where it was described a preemptive measure to ensure no actual incidences of children accidentally ingesting one of the cartridges occur and not something they were legally bound to do in most regions.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

I know right. Licking a plastic/electronic device or putting it in your mouth could be bad for you, or the device. The taste is likely to scare off children from doing just that. Being a full fledged adult with a functioning brain and a desire to stay healthy, I'm not going to lick cartridges.

Pseudonym:
Being a full fledged adult with a functioning brain and a desire to stay healthy, I'm not going to lick cartridges.

Licking the plastic part of a piece of non-carcinogenic shell with a non-toxic bitterant that you already know the chemical composition of (denatonium benzoate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium) once is not going to pose even the most remote risk to your health. That is assuming that you do not put the whole damn thing in your mouth and accidentally convulse out of surprise from the taste and swallow it.

I do not see how making an informed decision over potential risks to yourself (and your cartridge) after weighing the pros and cons is somehow an slight against your arbitrary standards of being an adult.

Pros: I would know for sure if this thing actually tastes bad enough that I would want to wash my hands after handling one so that I do not risk getting it in my mouth somehow like others have warned.

Cons: I get a bad taste in my mouth temporarily.

Risks: None so long as I do not put the whole thing in my mouth or touch the contacts.

Result: I cannot taste it so it is not a problem if I forget to wash my hands after handling one of the cartridges.

Seems pretty clear cut to me. Hell, I checked to make sure if denatonium benzoate had any allergen potential (only a couple documented cases in the late 70s/early 80s that I could find) before letting my relatives try it while I was still holding it.

Now if you will excuse me, Super Mario Odyssey awaits!

Ravinoff:

Chicken Butt!

Where's the option for "I am a grown adult with the tiniest shred of common sense and I don't put random things in my mouth just because the Internet says I shouldn't and NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO"?

McMarbles:
Where's the option for "I am a grown adult with the tiniest shred of common sense and I don't put random things in my mouth just because the Internet says I shouldn't and NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO"?

I explained that in the previous post where I ascertained the risks using my common sense and a little bit of research, hmmm?

Saulkar:
I do not see how making an informed decision over potential risks to yourself (and your cartridge) after weighing the pros and cons is somehow an slight against your arbitrary standards of being an adult.

Ok, so the tone did not come across well, as that was meant at least half as a joke.

It's mostly the putting small plastic stuff in your mouth or licking it that seems to me like the kind of ill-advised shit children do and adults typically don't. Children are well known to do that with all kinds of toys and other stuff. It's even a thing in Freudian psychoanalysis (not that you should take that alltogether seriously).

In as far as it wasn't a joke, simply consider that that bitter stuff was added to scare you off from licking it and you have yourselves a warning sign that you should probably just not lick the thing.

But, you know: you do you and good on you for having done your research...

Saulkar:

McMarbles:

I explained that in the previous post where I ascertained the risks using my common sense and a little bit of research, hmmm?

And your conclusion was still "I should put this object in my mouth." Apparently your common sense is not as common as it should be.

Pseudonym:

Saulkar:

Ok, so the tone did not come across well, as that was meant at least half as a joke.

It's mostly the putting small plastic stuff in your mouth or licking it that seems to me like the kind of ill-advised shit children do and adults typically don't. Children are well known to do that with all kinds of toys and other stuff. It's even a thing in Freudian psychoanalysis (not that you should take that alltogether seriously).

In as far as it wasn't a joke, simply consider that that bitter stuff was added to scare you off from licking it and you have yourselves a warning sign that you should probably just not lick the thing.

But, you know: you do you and good on you for having done your research...

Thank you, even if you still do not agree with my method I am pleased by the amicable tone of your response. My motivation was mostly to see how bad the taste was and if the chemical rubbing off onto people's hands was a bad as others have said and to avoid such issues from recurring in the future.

P.S. After I rubbed my thumb once on the label I then rubbed the wrapper of a toffee which my brother then unwrapped and ate. It was not bad but he could still taste it which is why one should be especially careful with these things because lets be honest, a lot of people do not wash their hands enough for all manner of reasons and also touch their faces a lot.

McMarbles:

Saulkar:

McMarbles:

And your conclusion was still "I should put this object in my mouth." Apparently your common sense is not as common as it should be.

How in the blue is that what you got out of this? I firmly established a complete and utter lack of risk (outside of a bad taste) with the intent of discovering how good my chances of getting a potentially fowl tasting but non-toxic substance on my hands was while going so far as to check the allergenic properties of the substance; Only licking the label and avoiding the contacts and somehow my common sense is inferior to yours for doing something after taking all precautions that you would not do for its own sake?

Anote vote for "I'm not 3 years old".

Johnny Novgorod:

Since you are using the internet and can spell you had better not be otherwise I would call your parents and have your Dunk-a-roos privileges revoked...

Then again, your comment implied that you not only read the rest of the thread but decided to make a disingenuous statement anyways so I think I will have your Dunk-a-roos privileges revoked anyways. Keep them for myself.

Yet another vote for 'grown adult who does not stick his vidja game cartridges in his mouth' and thus unaware of the bitterant yuck level.

jademunky:
Yet another vote for 'grown adult who does not stick his vidja game cartridges in his mouth' and thus unaware of the bitterant yuck level.

At this point it is clear you are all taking the piss and there is no further reason for me to continue this thread.

Saulkar:

Johnny Novgorod:

Since you are using the internet and can spell you had better not be otherwise I would call your parents and have your Dunk-a-roos privileges revoked...

Then again, your comment implied that you not only read the rest of the thread but decided to make a disingenuous statement anyways so I think I will have your Dunk-a-roos privileges revoked anyways. Keep them for myself.

You're the one tonguing rank plastic mate.

Odd as it sounds, there may be something to Nintendo's decision here (though I'll admit that yes, it seems odd to me too). When an NES cartridge was malfunctioning, one common form of maintenance was taking it out of the machine and blowing into the opening at the bottom. Many claimed that this risked damaging the cartridge, and they may have been right, but the bigger issue to my mind is how the blowing method was learned about. I'm sure instruction and observation passed it along to many people, but for me and all my peers, nobody told us- we just knew- which is, I have come to realize over the years, very unnerving. I don't know if it was some sort of mind control, or it was just something about the cartridges that told us, but we just knew.

Maybe it's gone further now, and people have gone from blowing to licking. Just something to think about.

I don't own a switch but If I did damn right I would of licked a cartridge lol
I guess I'm just a maverick that does not conform to societies rules :P

I wouldn't be overly suprised that adults cannot taste the bitterness tho, your taste buds get less sensative to bitterness as we age. The reason children are fussy eaters is because of their over sensitive taste buds, an evolutional safty mechanism that stops you eating plants that may be poisonus.

Maybe you can chase it with a yummy Tide Pod Pizza. Sure, THE MAN says it's "posionous", and "can kill you", and "if you do it you're a fucking moron", but you're just too cool for "rules" and "common sense" and all those things THE MAN says you should pay attention to.

Ok, so what is the stuff on the Switch cartridges that makes them taste so bitter? The answer is:

Denatonium, the most bitter chemical compound known.

It is commonly used as denatonium benzoate (what Nintendo applied), which is non-toxic, usually colorless and odorless. It so bitter the average healthy human adult can detect it at concentrations as small as 0,05 particles per million and at 10 ppm is unbearably bitter to most humans, barring those who lack the specific protein in a specific gene that allows detection in the first place, or those who suffered severe loss of taste sensitivity due to injury, disease or other medical conditions[1].

Its common applications are as an aversive agent in stuff like antifreeze, soaps, shampoos, denatured alcohol, paints, solvents and a whole bunch of other stuff, but also in placebo medications to emulate the taste of certain actual medications.

So, is licking the stuff kind of silly? Yes.
Is it dangerous? No.

[1] Although at that severity, chances are they won't taste anything else anymore either

Chimpzy:

Its common applications are as an aversive agent in stuff like antifreeze, soaps, shampoos, denatured alcohol, paints, solvents and a whole bunch of other stuff, but also in placebo medications to emulate the taste of certain actual medications.

Wait, so Nintendo cartridges taste like certain medications? I suppose that raises the question whether certain medications use it as an aversive as well for the same reasons they add it to other stuff to (presumably) make it offensive to kids, or whether that's just how those medications taste?

Some of the tablets or pills I have to take taste worse than others ... could that be a reason? My heart pills don't taste so bad, and I would have thought those would be pretty important to keep out of a kid's mouth.

(Edit)I don't see it listed on my drug packaging.... but really only lists 'active compounds' so I'm guessing they wouldn't bother listing it...

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Chimpzy:

Wait, so Nintendo cartridges taste like certain medications? I suppose that raises the question whether certain medications use it as an aversive as well for the same reasons they add it to other stuff to (presumably) make it offensive to kids, or whether that's just how those medications taste?

Some of the tablets or pills I have to take taste worse than others ... could that be a reason? My heart pills don't taste so bad, and I would have thought those would be pretty important to keep out of a kid's mouth.

(Edit)I don't see it listed on my drug packaging.... but really only lists 'active compounds' so I'm guessing they wouldn't bother listing it...

Ooof, firstly, I'm not a pharmaceutical chemist. I did work for a pharmaceutical copany, however, and my job required me to have some understanding of how and why medications are made they way they are. In short, I'll do my best to explain, but I'm not an expert and I'll probably flub some details

Anyway, yes, some medications are purposefully 'sabotaged' to taste bitter or otherwise unpleasant. This is usually done to prevent accidental exposure or willful overdose, because most medicines are dose-dependent and toxic in nature. Sometimes this is done specifically to keep kids away, but just as often to prevent people in general from gulping them down.

However, for some medications, the opposite is true. Medications that are meant to stay in the mouth for some lenght of time and as a result will be tasted, like orally disintegrating tablets or syrups, are often formulated with added sweeteners or other agents, meant to enhance their taste.

Of course, many medications are inherently bitter tasting without added aversive agents. Many are chemically synthesised, which tends to result in a bitter taste. Or they make use of ingredients that are bitter tasting. These are usually not meant to be tasted and tend to come in oral solids (i.e. tablets and capsules) you're supposed to gulp down with water.

There may also be good reasons why inherently bad tasting medications are left as is. Formulating a drug is a tricky business and adding sweeteners may cause unnecessary complications. They may be incompatible and react in unwanted ways with active ingredients. They may add unnecessary mass to the medicine and make it hard to ingest. They might raise problems for certain groups of patients. And so on.

As for the use of denatonium and other aversive agents in placebo medications for clinical testing, that has more to do with making your placebo medication as convincing as possible. Many people expect medicine to generally taste badly, so making your placebo taste badly can help sell the idea of it being 'real'. The more similar the taste to the real thing, the better too.

Chimpzy:
Ooof, firstly, I'm not a pharmaceutical chemist. I did work for a pharmaceutical copany, however, and my job required me to have some understanding of how and why medications are made they way they are. In short, I'll do my best to explain, but I'm not an expert and I'll probably flub some details

Anyway, yes, some medications are purposefully 'sabotaged' to taste bitter or otherwise unpleasant. This is usually done to prevent accidental exposure or willful overdose, because most medicines are dose-dependent and toxic in nature. Sometimes this is done specifically to keep kids away, but just as often to prevent people in general from gulping them down.

However, for some medications, the opposite is true. Medications that are meant to stay in the mouth for some lenght of time and as a result will be tasted, like orally disintegrating tablets or syrups, are often formulated with added sweeteners or other agents, meant to enhance their taste.

Of course, many medications are inherently bitter tasting without added aversive agents. Many are chemically synthesised, which tends to result in a bitter taste. Or they make use of ingredients that are bitter tasting. These are usually not meant to be tasted and tend to come in oral solids (i.e. tablets and capsules) you're supposed to gulp down with water.

There may also be good reasons why inherently bad tasting medications are left as is. Formulating a drug is a tricky business and adding sweeteners may cause unnecessary complications. They may be incompatible and react in unwanted ways with active ingredients. They may add unnecessary mass to the medicine and make it hard to ingest. They might raise problems for certain groups of patients. And so on.

As for the use of denatonium and other aversive agents in placebo medications for clinical testing, that has more to do with making your placebo medication as convincing as possible. Many people expect medicine to generally taste badly, so making your placebo taste badly can help sell the idea of it being 'real'. The more similar the taste to the real thing, the better too.

I never take pills with water as I find making taking drugs as less s chore as possible you just get as many as you need at thst time of day and toss them back with as few swallows as possible... but I kind of get why they suggest you do.

I think I had my brain turned off when I initially wrote what I did, because you're right. Certain sweeteners may cause problems. I know directly from scans and bio data that certain artificial sweeteners has a biochemical reaction with brain activity many times higher than traditional sweeteners like cane sugar and honey. Often radically increasing carb burn as the body, in some cases, think it has consumed hundreds of times the amount of traditional sweeteners with certain artificial sweeteners you've drunk. Why Diet Coke is bad for your brain and body...

So if you're taking a small satchel of artificial sweeteners over the day with particularly copiously needed meds over a long term... it might prejudice people that need to avoid higher metabolic rates, curb dietary impulses, and curb total hunger.

I suppose the flipside of that, you can't make drugs too bitter given that it might make kids who need them actively avoid them. So at the core, a balancing act? Kind of an interesting pharmaceutical ethics problem if you think about it... 'What is an acceptable chore to get kids not to avoid them while preventing as much overuse as possible?' ... 'Who might these drugs prejudice existing conditions by making them easier to take?' ... ' Should we even bother with this drug?' ...

As for the toxicity thing... I heard an interesting (possible) myth that that idea of 'a poison is only harmful in sufficient quantity, and in the specific quantity can be a boon' ... is what influenced the Western iconography of the field of apothecaries and pharmacologists. The goblet and the viper wrapped around it... as if being milked for venom to be put into a brew to be drunk.

Does the Nintendo Switch Cartridge really taste bitter?

gameicreate upload:

Yeah I don't think the thread ever actually got around to addressing that. Mostly just devolved into jokes.

Well not so much "devolved" as "plunged headlong into the joke pool starting with post #2" (and arguably before that).

gameicreate upload:

Not to drag this thread too much more out of its grave, but yes they do.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/02/nintendo-switch-game-cartridges-taste-bitte

Heck, I was popping cartridges in and out to get updates started and I've got this habit of licking my fingertips.

Yeah, they've got bitterant on them.

Amazingly, I have been able to resist licking the cartridge!

Well bless your heart.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here